Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Looking forward to see who we target in FA. 

Draft loaded with offensive talent, really think we bulk up on D in the draft early, need to get into it a bit more once the first wave of FA passes.

I’d be looking LB and DB early, I mean assuming Kerrigan is gone, plenty of Edge talent to add. Another cheap rookie deal at that position will be invaluable down the line.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's got plenty of speed.  He ran a 4.33 as a freshman and will probably run a low 4.3 again at his Pro day, with a chance to crack into the 4.2s.  Speed isn't his issue, it's his injury history that is the issue with Moore.  He's a super high upside gamble--the potential Tyreek Hill of the WR group--but he could also be plagued with injury issues in his upper legs.  I love his game, but I want much more safety from 19 and I don't think he'll still be there at 51.

Do you really think Rondale Moore will regain his 2018 level of athleticism? To me he’s clearly not there yet based on 2020 tape. Given his injury history and where he is now speed wise, I don’t know if I can comfortably pick him at 51. 

Jaelon Darden’s character checks out as a Ron kind of player. Been practicing his footwork since he was 6 years old. Overlooked often because of his size, so plays with a chip on his shoulder, but was also a Team Captain. He’s experienced the loss of his father and channeled that into his football and he’s matured in ways not all prospects carry. He’s a craftsman who doesn’t just get by on his elite level twitch/burst and takes his time studying defensive coverage. He’s played on the outside and can be a deep threat but will be a slot guy in the NFL. 

I think he’s be a huge upgrade over Steven Sims JR and I’m easily finding him available in the 5th round in mock drafts. I think he’ll go higher like the 3rd or 4th round though. 

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I agree with this approach. I also think Wallace will be very good. But his injury history is way worse than that of anybody else. Hasn’t he had 2 ACL’s?

I'm not sure, but the difference with him is he is healthy and full speed now and he was extremely productive in college.  He averaged over 100 yards a game the last three years and he apparently ran a sub 4.4 40 at that EXOS Pro Day.

Waddle isn't healthy right now, and he wasn't very productive in college, and Toney wasn't productive his first three years and had injury issues during them, and Rondale was only productive his freshman year and had two pretty serious hamstring injuries in years two and three.  That hamstring issue in year two also involved a pretty serious strain to his acl apparently.

But regardless, Wallace's injury history is clearly being baked into his draft stock because he's going late second to third round in most mocks/boards when he should really be a first rounder based on his size, skills, speed, and production.  Just based on where they are all at today, he is a much better wide receiver than Waddle, Toney, Marshall, and Rondale but they will all get picked ahead of him probably, based on the perception that Wallace has low upside.

16 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Do you really think Rondale Moore will regain his 2018 level of athleticism? To me he’s clearly not there yet based on 2020 tape. Given his injury history and where he is now speed wise, I don’t know if I can comfortably pick him at 51. 

Apparently he reinjured his hamstring right after he opted back in to the year and that hampered him.  The canceling of the season and then the abrupt plans to restart a shortened season messed up a lot of Big 10 prospects who opted back in after opting out.  The second hamstring injury was not as serious as the injury in 2019, but it was enough for him to have to battle through it this year.

I want to see where he is at his Pro-Day.  If he runs low 4.3s, then I'll assume he's got his speed back.  At full speed, he's the fastest WR in the class IMO.

7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Sure it would be good to have 4 good edge rushers but how realistic is that?  No I would consider about 10 other positions as needs before I list edge rusher.  

I didn't say it's our biggest need, just that it needs to be addressed. On top of Kerrigan we'll also lose Ryan Anderson this offseason. If one of our edges gets injured we have Smith-Williams to fill in and no one for the rotation. So if an edge talent with good value sits there in the 5th or 7th and we didn't address the need via free agency why would we not consider drafting one? But I would much rather go for a cheap free agent than for a draft pick.

I mean we also wouldn't go into the season with only 4 corners, just because the top 2-3 corners a great players.

I have no problem with a true, BPA RB at 19.  That keeps Gibson healthy and gives him plenty of snaps at WR.  He and #19 can even line up in the backfield and you have several options.  If you think Harris or Williams will live up to their billing, I don't see how you get the kind of impact they can give you in a draft that's deep in OL and WR.  No matter how awesome your LT is, there's only so much he can do.  If you're going to win consistently, you have to have top talent handling the ball beyond the line of scrimmage.

4 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

I have no problem with a true, BPA RB at 19.  That keeps Gibson healthy and gives him plenty of snaps at WR.  He and #19 can even line up in the backfield and you have several options.  If you think Harris or Williams will live up to their billing, I don't see how you get the kind of impact they can give you in a draft that's deep in OL and WR.  No matter how awesome your LT is, there's only so much he can do.  If you're going to win consistently, you have to have top talent handling the ball beyond the line of scrimmage.

I really want to see us go OT or LB at 19 (if we can't trade back), but I wouldn't be upset with them taking Najee. I love what Gibson brings to the team, but it would be even better if he didn't have to spend every down at RB. It'd be pretty awesome to have some packages with Harris and Gibson, one at RB and the other in the slot. I really like what those two can do after the catch. 

How do people feel about D’ante Smith as a possible 4th round OT option? Dane Brugler has him rated as his 8th tackle for his top ten, ahead of Dillon Raduz and Walker Little. He can also play guard and shined at the senior bowl as well. 

An attempt at a balanced offensive/defensive draft. Maybe I should have picked a free safety in the third like Jevon Holland or Haufaniga, but I’d like to see what Coach Harris could do with Tyson Campbell’s skill set. 

image.thumb.png.8d41640d9697144a7cda13ad11a2066e.png

13 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Looking forward to see who we target in FA. 

Draft loaded with offensive talent, really think we bulk up on D in the draft early, need to get into it a bit more once the first wave of FA passes.

I’d be looking LB and DB early, I mean assuming Kerrigan is gone, plenty of Edge talent to add. Another cheap rookie deal at that position will be invaluable down the line.

Give us Jayon Brown, Samuels or JuJu and Jonnu Smtih, I'm extremely happy!  Actually, give us Jayon Brown and Samuels and I'd be happy. 

What's every ones thoughts on Amari Rodgers? 

I don't him getting much discussion among the Moore convo's, 

I know he may be more limited to mostly slot but I have found his play pretty dynamic. His mitts must be better than about anyone in the draft and he isn't afraid of contacts and built to handle it.

26 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

What's every ones thoughts on Amari Rodgers? 

I don't him getting much discussion among the Moore convo's, 

I know he may be more limited to mostly slot but I have found his play pretty dynamic. His mitts must be better than about anyone in the draft and he isn't afraid of contacts and built to handle it.

Rodgers is well liked here and has been mentioned a few times IIRC. I liked what I saw from him at the Senior Bowl too. He's a nice prospect. It's a good class to go WR, OL and DB shopping. There are a lot of WR's I'd be happy with. Grading is all over the place too. I'm liking WR Simi Fehoko Stanford more and more each day. 

4 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Rodgers is well liked here and has been mentioned a few times IIRC. I liked what I saw from him at the Senior Bowl too. He's a nice prospect. It's a good class to go WR, OL and DB shopping. There are a lot of WR's I'd be happy with. Grading is all over the place too. I'm liking WR Simi Fehoko Stanford more and more each day. 

It sure is an incredible WR class. You are correct Rodgers stood out in the Senior Bowl. Really like that dude.

I am not familiar with Fehoko except that he is tall lol.  Did you find him from watching Mills footage or workouts?

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

It sure is an incredible WR class. You are correct Rodgers stood out in the Senior Bowl. Really like that dude.

I am not familiar with Fehoko except that he is tall lol.  Did you find him from watching Mills footage or workouts?

PFF Mike Renner's podcasts led me to Fehoko. Renner comes across as pretty arrogant, but his analysis on players especially in how they project to the NFL is outstanding IMO and he is obviously very intelligent. 

1 minute ago, Chump Bailey said:

PFF Mike Renner's podcasts led me to Fehoko. Renner comes across as pretty arrogant, but his analysis on players especially in how they project to the NFL is outstanding IMO and he is obviously very intelligent. 

Interesting. So can assume he is expecting to a day three guy?

Just now, DWinzit said:

Interesting. So can assume he is expecting to a day three guy?hr

Grading is all over the place it seems and I do believe consensus is day 3, but it will all hinge on his Pro Day numbers. He is expected to post very good numbers for a guy 6'3" 220lbs and if so he will go much earlier than that certainly.

@Chump Bailey thanks for mentioning Fehoko. He’s another one of those intriguing late round receivers that’s worth keeping an eye  on. He’s got great hands and ball tracking ability, good strength and length as well, and decent speed I think. I hope he puts out his pro day numbers at some point. 

There are so many worthwhile receivers that are going to be available in the later rounds like Fehoko, Frank Darby, Cade Johnson, and Shi Smith. 

7 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

On the surface, it seems the transition would be doable. I'm not sure how his blocking is. I wish we would just sign Gerald Everett. I think he would be awesome in our offense.

I think teams should look to do it more...or do they and it just fails...

I like would prefer Jonnu.

IMO MLB, assuming they sign Darby, is the biggest need on this team.  I would like to see that addressed first.  

As for RB I never want my team to pick one high, they can be found later. But this position went from a strength to a weakness in one offseason IMO.  Bryce may never recover, A-hole is gone and although I'm sure I'm the only one here to believes this I'm not convinced Gibson is the long term answer.  He is just so raw he didn't really demonstrate the instincts all great backs have in the hole. While his speed is clear to see it's not the jump off the screen speed of a Sproles or Chris Johnson which is what I was hoping for.  

Archived