Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

We also need an edge rusher, either via draft or via FA. With Kerrigan leaving we only have Smith-Williams behind Montez and Chase. Need to add someone there. I have no idea if there is a high upside guy that we could get later in the draft but I'd definitely consider drafting one at some point.

Couple random thoughts:

- On the McGinn stuff, that is interesting and at least some of the guys there validate what I see in

*Zaven - Really really good physical gifts and instincts, though not extremely physical at the point of attack and seems kind of a mellow guy who may need some motivation. Still my #1 ILB with a very high ceiling. Not really high on any other ILB's I have watched

*OT Hudson is really, really gifted athletically. I didn't know about the off the field troubles, but maybe that explains why he is not getting more day 1/day 2 love. I would like to know more about how serious it is, because on the field he looks like an overlooked gem to me

- Beyond the top 5 big name QBs (which in my book should go Lawrence - Wilson - Lance - Fields - Jones), feel like Davis Mills is being overlooked a little because Stanford QBs after Luck have been very meh and he missed some time last season with COVID. But he has some tools, is accurate and looks like the game comes quickly to him. I think his floor is a long time           backup.

- WR group I like Waddle, Bateman, Elijah in the 3rd or later, not as much of a fan of Rondale (where is the speed?), Toney (really good RAC, but not polished and not great natural hands)

I really hope we draft Collins at 19. I think he may go before then. 

Moore is probably the only WR I'd consider that high. The rest are just too small for me. I'm sure one is the next DJax, but who knows.

Pitts is worth moving up for IMO. He'll be one of only 2 or 3 guys that can do what he does and that's just too difficult for teams to game plan against consistently. 

I doubt Williams makes it to our second pick, but Werner might. Harris or Eitinne and Werner or Collins and Williams would make a huge difference for us. In the third grab best OT/TE/WR candidates and there should be some.

48 minutes ago, Panninho said:

We also need an edge rusher, either via draft or via FA. With Kerrigan leaving we only have Smith-Williams behind Montez and Chase. Need to add someone there. I have no idea if there is a high upside guy that we could get later in the draft but I'd definitely consider drafting one at some point.

Edge is pretty deep this class so we could wait a bit and still get a good one in all likelihood. Romeo Okwara is someone I would strongly consider in FA though. Tryon, Oweh and Perkins - Phillips, Basham and Paye right behind them are my top edge rushers. Quincy Roche Miami, Chris Rumph Duke, Eli Howard Texas Tech, Elerson Smith Northern Iowa, Patrick Johnson Tulane, Jamar Watson Kentucky, Wyatt Hubert Kansas State sleeper perhaps in Darius Hodge Marshall are on my interesting list for later in close preference order.

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really hope we draft Collins at 19. I think he may go before then. 

I am good with Collins, if you buy mocks he should easily be there at 19.  I guess you never know though.  Going through the permutations of players, to me it makes sense for Zaven to drop to 19 or later.

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Moore is probably the only WR I'd consider that high. The rest are just too small for me. I'm sure one is the next DJax, but who knows.

Which Moore? 

12 hours ago, Blanka said:

Elijah Moore may be my favorite wideout in this whole class. Including the guys not attainable for us.

Months back I recall asking here if I am the only one on this thread who loves Elijah Moore?  He seemed to get no play outside some of my comments.   Now its become a movement on this thread.  Cool. :ols:

57 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Sure it would be good to have 4 good edge rushers but how realistic is that?  No I would consider about 10 other positions as needs before I list edge rusher.  

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am good with Collins, if you buy mocks he should easily be there at 19.  I guess you never know though.  Going through the permutations of players, to me it makes sense for Zaven to drop to 19 or later.

Which Moore? 

Elijiah . The one looking at 200lbs. Honestly, can you really trust a guy under 180lbs as a featured player to take that beating and be on the field consistently? 

Some of these names of WR/DBs is confusing this year. 

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Elijiah . The one looking at 200lbs. Honestly, can you really trust a guy under 180lbs as a featured player to take that beating and be on the field consistently? 

Some of these names of WR/DBs is confusing this year. 

Elijah is heavier than Rondale but not by much.  Rondale though has had injury issues in college and the style he plays in I think makes him vulnerable to injury.

If you are going for size, Bateman would be the dude in that range, 6 "1, 210 pounds.   I am a big Elijah guy but I like other receivers too.  Bateman would also IMO be a good get. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Elijah is heavier than Rondale but not by much.  Rondale though has had injury issues in college and the style he plays in I think makes him vulnerable to injury.

If you are going for size, Bateman would be the dude in that range, 6 "1, 210 pounds.   As I've noted for a longish time, I am a big Elijah guy but I like other receivers too.  Bateman would also IMO be a good get. 

I meant more out of the smaller WRs. My bad. I rushed. E Moore just seems like a Samuels type that can be the polar opposite of Gibson. Where do you see E Moore going?

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Months back I recall asking here if I am the only one on this thread who loves Elijah Moore?  He seemed to get no play outside some of my comments.   Now its become a movement on this thread.  Cool. :ols:

You are also responsible for Brevin Jordan and Tommy Tremble! :cheers:

E Moore or Bateman would be great fits with the current roster as would Zaven. 

FA will tell us if the must take one of these guys. Hopefully they have a WR and LB signed not forcing their hand at 19

38 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I meant more out of the smaller WRs. My bad. I rushed. E Moore just seems like a Samuels type that can be the polar opposite of Gibson. Where do you see E Moore going?

I think Elijah goes early to mid 2nd, he might drop to our pick.   I also like a lot Terrace Marshall who might end up in that range.  Marshall has the size and could end up a freak if he puts it together but Elijah to me has the higher floor. 

33 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

You are also responsible for Brevin Jordan and Tommy Tremble! :cheers:

E Moore or Bateman would be great fits with the current roster as would Zaven. 

FA will tell us if the must take one of these guys. Hopefully they have a WR and LB signed not forcing their hand at 19

We all introduced different players to the thread, not sure I was the first on Brevin but I might be his biggest fan here.  I am pretty sure I was the one first on Zaven Collins.  I haven't really stuck though with Collins but I do like him.  He'd be a great example of a player that if they took I'd be jazzed (but I am not as confident purely on my own on him) considering both Del Rio and Rivera played the position so if they really dug him, I'd trust it.  The dude is a freak.  My main hesitation with him is he's good but not great against the run.  He hasn't played MLB.  So how well would the transition work?  He covers really well.  He is a feisty motor driven pass rusher albeit is far from a polished pass rusher.   He hits me as a freak talent wise that needs to be molded.

I was listening to Jay on a new Standig podcast the other day.  Jay for his faults wasn't a bad talent evaluator.  He was the dude that discovered Holcomb, Ionnaidis for the team among others.  He was talking about how hard it is these days to find a MLB who can both stop the run and cover and when teams do find those players they don't tend to let them go.    Collins could be end up being that type of player. 

Tylan Wallace is the McLaurin of this year's class.  I'm praying he makes it to 74.  He'd be the lynchpin for getting a four good player (or more) class to me.  Get the LT in rd 1, move up in rd 2 for the faller, Wallace in three, and then a bunch of lottery tickets in the rest of the draft.

17 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

How is he different than Kelvin Harmon, who's 6-2/220, has great hands, blocks hard, fights for everything, and loves football (but doesn't cost a draft pick)?

I'm not even sure Harmon makes the team this year.  I wouldn't bank anything on him any more.

1 hour ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

not as much of a fan of Rondale (where is the speed?)

He's got plenty of speed.  He ran a 4.33 as a freshman and will probably run a low 4.3 again at his Pro day, with a chance to crack into the 4.2s.  Speed isn't his issue, it's his injury history that is the issue with Moore.  He's a super high upside gamble--the potential Tyreek Hill of the WR group--but he could also be plagued with injury issues in his upper legs.  I love his game, but I want much more safety from 19 and I don't think he'll still be there at 51.

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We all introduced different players to the thread, not sure I was the first on Brevin but I might be his biggest fan here.  I am pretty sure I was the one first on Zaven Collins.  I haven't really stuck though with Collins but I do like him.  He'd be a great example of a player that if they took I'd be jazzed (but I am not as confident purely on my own on him) considering both Del Rio and Rivera played the position so if they really dug him, I'd trust it.  The dude is a freak.  My main hesitation with him is he's good but not great against the run.  He hasn't played MLB.  So how well would the transition work?  He covers really well.  He is a feisty motor driven pass rusher albeit is far from a polished pass rusher.   He hits me as a freak talent wise that needs to be molded.

He was talking about how hard it is these days to find a MLB who can both stop the run and cover and when teams do find those players they don't tend to let them go.    Collins could be end up being that type of player. 

If they don't go hard after Jayon or some other MLB capable guy, then they must have identified at least one player (probably at least 2) they believe in drafting. I could totally see Zaven being the guy and become the long standing guy in the middle. The only thing that tweaks me a little is you normally want that leader in the position and similar to what you have pointed out, he hasn't been in the middle making the calls. I do think based on what I have read and seen, he can be The Man a year or two from now. I have been left wondering for a year now if they feel they blew it not going at Blake Martinez. While not great, he is the only guy that was available and would have been a dramatic upgrade over Bostic.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With the draft I always watch the defensive guys tape first idk why exactly lol but I just got around to WR’s. I had a loose view on the offensive guys from watching games live but I just went back to watch them extensively. 

Elijah just jumps off the screen Great feet, route running can create space in a phone booth. Just so many translatable skills to the NFL level. 

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Tylan Wallace is the McLaurin of this year's class.  I'm praying he makes it to 74.  He'd be the lynchpin for getting a four good player (or more) class to me.  Get the LT in rd 1, move up in rd 2 for the faller, Wallace in three, and then a bunch of lottery tickets in the rest of the draft.

I'm not even sure Harmon makes the team this year.  I wouldn't bank anything on him any more.

O-Line has to be the pick at 19.  As you've stated, if you don't pick one in the first 75 picks or so, you aren't getting quality (at least for tackle).  I don't see Sewell, Slater, or Darisow slipping to 19.  Too many teams (Cincy, Carolina (if no QB), Dallas (to replace Tyron Smith), LAC, Minny (just cut Reiff)) need them.  If we want an o-lineman, we need to take one at 19.

Who is the faller you want to target?  I'm assuming RB, but maybe its LB (if we strike out in FA).  Atlanta with that early 2nd is probably targeting RB (must have in an Arthur Smith offense and they have no one right now).  Jets need a RB too and have #23 and that early 2nd as well.  I just don't think Najee, Eitienne, and Javonte will be available past #35.  What if we shock the world and sign Aaron Jones in FA?  He's a weapon for sure.   

What are your WR rankings?

I figure the first 4 will be Chase, Smith, Waddle, and then Toney.  After that, its anybody's guess.  

One of the interesting tidbits from Bob McGinn's article on the defenders was that Tyson Campbell went to the same HS as Surtain and Anthony Schwartz and he ran almost as fast in the 100 meters as Schwartz did.  Just .2 of a second slower.  That means Georgia had two legit track studs at corner this year, that is a ridiculous amount of team speed.  They've wasted so much talent by having Stetson Bennett and Jake Fromm QB it instead of Justin Fields.

That also makes Campbell pretty interesting as a day 2 flier.  Stokes is clearly the better right now, but 6'2 with serious track speed makes for a very interesting project.  If we go safe with our first rounder and other day 2 picks, I wouldn't mind taking a shot on Campbell.  Maybe at 51, or even perhaps moving up a bit for him?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Elijah goes early to mid 2nd, he might drop to our pick.   I also like a lot Terrace Marshall who might end up in that range.  Marshall has the size and could end up a freak if he puts it together but Elijah to me has the higher floor. 

I was listening to Jay on a new Standig podcast the other day.  Jay for his faults wasn't a bad talent evaluator.  He was the dude that discovered Holcomb, Ionnaidis for the team among others.  He was talking about how hard it is these days to find a MLB who can both stop the run and cover and when teams do find those players they don't tend to let them go.    Collins could be end up being that type of player. 

Just for clarity, were those bold face words your's or Jay's?

43 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

One of the interesting tidbits from Bob McGinn's article on the defenders was that Tyson Campbell went to the same HS as Surtain and Anthony Schwartz and he ran almost as fast in the 100 meters as Schwartz did.  Just .2 of a second slower.  That means Georgia had two legit track studs at corner this year, that is a ridiculous amount of team speed.  They've wasted so much talent by having Stetson Bennett and Jake Fromm QB it instead of Justin Fields.

That also makes Campbell pretty interesting as a day 2 flier.  Stokes is clearly the better right now, but 6'2 with serious track speed makes for a very interesting project.  If we go safe with our first rounder and other day 2 picks, I wouldn't mind taking a shot on Campbell.  Maybe at 51, or even perhaps moving up a bit for him?

I would love for Chris Harris to have a chance to work with Tyson.

2 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Couple random thoughts:

- On the McGinn stuff, that is interesting and at least some of the guys there validate what I see in

*Zaven - Really really good physical gifts and instincts, though not extremely physical at the point of attack and seems kind of a mellow guy who may need some motivation. Still my #1 ILB with a very high ceiling. Not really high on any other ILB's I have watched

*OT Hudson is really, really gifted athletically. I didn't know about the off the field troubles, but maybe that explains why he is not getting more day 1/day 2 love. I would like to know more about how serious it is, because on the field he looks like an overlooked gem to me

- Beyond the top 5 big name QBs (which in my book should go Lawrence - Wilson - Lance - Fields - Jones), feel like Davis Mills is being overlooked a little because Stanford QBs after Luck have been very meh and he missed some time last season with COVID. But he has some tools, is accurate and looks like the game comes quickly to him. I think his floor is a long time           backup.

- WR group I like Waddle, Bateman, Elijah in the 3rd or later, not as much of a fan of Rondale (where is the speed?), Toney (really good RAC, but not polished and not great natural hands)

Hudson has such light feet it's crazy.  Him and Slater move effortlessly.  That said he doesn't have much in the way of solid technique when blocking.  He needs more sand in his pants, his punches are weak, and rip moves work like a charm against him.

If the off field stuff checks out, he's a great developmental prospect, but I don't think he can play in his rookie season without getting manhandled by NFL strength.

12 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Who is the faller you want to target?  I'm assuming RB, but maybe its LB (if we strike out in FA).  Atlanta with that early 2nd is probably targeting RB (must have in an Arthur Smith offense and they have no one right now).  Jets need a RB too and have #23 and that early 2nd as well.  I just don't think Najee, Eitienne, and Javonte will be available past #35.  What if we shock the world and sign Aaron Jones in FA?  He's a weapon for sure.   

I'm hoping for one of the top three RBs, but LBers also tend to fall on draft day too.  Someone like Owusu-Koromoah could be a surprise faller and I'd move up for him too.  But corner would also be a prime target for me with that second rounder because the class order feels unsettled and there are probably going to be opportunities for big value picks in that early to mid second round range.  And at the end of the day, I'd still be going BPA at 19 and wouldn't force an OT pick so if I got a WR, LB, DB, or RB at 19, I'd be active in trying to get one of the good OTs that makes it to day 2.

My WR order goes off the trail.  I don't like Toney nearly as much as the consensus because of how limited his WR game still is.  He's got so much on the job learning left to do but he's already 22, plus he had some injury issues his first three seasons at Florida.  And I didn't love reading in that McGinn article that he might be more passionate about having a music career than he is about football. 

I'm also not taking it for granted that Waddle is fully recovered from his injury like everyone else is.  If he's not as fast as he used to be, he is a meaningfully diminished player because he's just as small as Rondale and Elijah are.

Rank - Player - NFL ceiling/comp

1 - Chase - Faster Hopkins

2 - Smith - Ridley with better hands

3 - Bateman - Godwin

4 - Waddle - Fuller if he's still fast

5 - Rondale - Hill if he's over the hamstring injury

6 - Marshall - Skinnier Metcalf

7 -  Elijah - Santana Moss

8 - Wallace - McLaurin

9 - Toney - Harvin sans the downfield WR game

10 - St Brown - Diggs

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I agree with this approach. I also think Wallace will be very good. But his injury history is way worse than that of anybody else. Hasn’t he had 2 ACL’s?

I haven’t watched much Lance. You can’t get much from a pro day, but that is a really good arm.

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm hoping for one of the top three RBs, but LBers also tend to fall on draft day too.  Someone like Owusu-Koromoah could be a surprise faller and I'd move up for him too.  But corner would also be a prime target for me with that second rounder because the class order feels unsettled and there are probably going to be opportunities for big value picks in that early to mid second round range.  And at the end of the day, I'd still be going BPA at 19 and wouldn't force an OT pick so if I got a WR, LB, DB, or RB at 19, I'd be active in trying to get one of the good OTs that makes it to day 2.

My WR order goes off the trail.  I don't like Toney nearly as much as the consensus because of how limited his WR game still is.  He's got so much on the job learning left to do but he's already 22, plus he had some injury issues his first three seasons at Florida.  And I didn't love reading in that McGinn article that he might be more passionate about having a music career than he is about football. 

I'm also not taking it for granted that Waddle is fully recovered from his injury like everyone else is.  If he's not as fast as he used to be, he is a meaningfully diminished player because he's just as small as Rondale and Elijah are.

Rank - Player - NFL ceiling/comp

1 - Chase - Faster Hopkins

2 - Smith - Ridley with better hands

3 - Bateman - Godwin

4 - Waddle - Fuller if he's still fast

5 - Rondale - Hill if he's over the hamstring injury

6 - Marshall - Skinnier Metcalf

7 -  Elijah - Santana Moss

8 - Wallace - McLaurin

9 - Toney - Harvin sans the downfield WR game

10 - St Brown - Diggs

If we don't resign Darby/sign a replacement, CB becomes our biggest need (we have no one after Fuller and he's got some injury concerns).  TB targeted Moreland all day.  He's a nice story, but he was a liability in the playoff game.  If Horn somehow falls to 19, I'm taking him because of his competitiveness.

The weird thing is that the teams right behind us (Chicago, Indy, Tennessee) all need o-line.  If we decide to pass on o-line (putting our hopes on Lucas for another year/liking Charles/giving Christian another year to see his athleticism (remember the staff started him over Lucas and he was only gone because he was injured)), then I can see a trade down and taking a falling LB too.

At 19, I'm completely with you in that I want a super safe prospect.  Najee is 100% safe.  The Mcginn article had multiple scouts saying he's the best player in the draft.  Pitts is super safe, but he'll be long gone.  I think AVT is super safe (at guard at least), but its up to the staff to see if they think he's an NFL T.  

Bateman seems like the safest second tier WR (doesn't have the size concerns of Rondale, Elijah, Tutu) or injury concerns (Wallace).  

Archived