Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LT-WR earlish?  FS-CB after that?  MLB-WR in FA?

I’d assume corner in FA too (or re-signing Darby) - can’t imagine relying on a drafted corner (or two) to take the #2 spot.  

For me, if we wind up with Scherff, Darby (or another corner) and capable starters at LB/WR in FA... the draft becomes mostly gravy.  Obviously QB would be our big question mark (and we’d still have some other needs - TE #2, slot receiver, FS, etc), but I’d feel pretty darn optimistic about the rest of the team.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Definitely need a few more skills to succeed being small and quick as an outside WR.  But move them inside to the Slot, and they can make find success.  I think that's one reason why Bateman is getting overhyped right now, he's one of the few guys that's decently sized.  Add in Nico Collins who should be a Day 3 pick, being talked about as a 2nd rounder and people are desperate for players with conventional height/weight.

Bateman is being heavily underrated IMO.  He's a 6'2 215 tank with an NFL ready body and he runs a sub 4.4 and he's got huge collegiate production at a young age and runs a high quality and full NFL route tree.  He's the Justin Jefferson of this year's class.  He should be the WR3 and a top 20 pick IMO, but he's being thought of as a second rounder in a lot of places--just as Justin Jefferson was.

I'm settling into a position where I take him over Darrisaw and AVT at 19 if they're all there.  He's BPA for me behind the elite RBs.  You're basically getting a strong bet Probowl WR with him, it's the right blend of high upside with safety at a position of need and value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I thought Meli and Hamsah were expected to go day 2?

We'll see what Meli runs.  I suppose it could bump him up.  Hamsah has injury history (Torn ACL) but definitely quicker.  One thing they have in common is their versatility.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Bateman is being heavily underrated IMO.  He's a 6'2 215 tank with an NFL ready body and he runs a sub 4.4 and he's got huge collegiate production at a young age and runs a high quality and full NFL route tree.  He's the Justin Jefferson of this year's class.  He should be the WR3 and a top 20 pick IMO, but he's being thought of as a second rounder in a lot of places--just as Justin Jefferson was.

I'm settling into a position where I take him over Darrisaw and AVT at 19 if they're all there.  He's BPA for me behind the elite RBs.  You're basically getting a strong bet Probowl WR with him, it's the right blend of high upside with safety at a position of need and value.

That sounds like an attractive pairing with Terry.  Would also provide insurance for when/if Terry misses time.

35 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

They sure are looking at a lot of later round DB's and safety's

That's where I would be looking for safeties.  With this DL and our successful development of late round DBs who play inside, that's our sweet spot.  My favorites are Jamar Johnson, Bryce Thompson, and especially Damar Hamlin.

We talk about TE being a position of low value early in the draft, and how the mid and even late round guys are the best ones in the league, and I think it's just as true about safety.  As good as Jamal Adams and Minkah Fitzpatrick are, you've got guys like Anthony Harris and Jordan Poyer and Justin Simmons and Eddie Jackson and Tyrann Mathieu giving you plenty of impact from the safety spot for far cheaper.

I can get a future 8 AV per year safety from a seventh round pick, which is pretty much better than anything else you can do with a seventh rounder.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's where I would be looking for safeties.  With this DL and our successful development of late round DBs who play inside, that's our sweet spot.  My favorites are Jamar Johnson, Bryce Thompson, and especially Damar Hamlin.

We talk about TE being a position of low value early in the draft, and how the mid and even late round guys are the best ones in the league, and I think it's just as true about safety.  As good as Jamal Adams and Minkah Fitzpatrick are, you've got guys like Anthony Harris and Jordan Poyer and Justin Simmons and Eddie Jackson and Tyrann Mathieu giving you plenty of impact from the safety spot for far cheaper.

I can get a future 8 AV per year safety from a seventh round pick, which is pretty much better than anything else you can do with a seventh rounder.

That rationale is why I'm kind of going back to drafting LT at 19 even if it could be a slight reach.  For the most part, starting caliber LTs aren't found past round 3 (David Bhaktari probably the lone exception).  

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lets say the goal is a LT and WR in round 1 or 2.

If we go WR in round 1 what LTs would still be there in the late 2nd?  Eichenberg, Radunz? Hudson? Mayfield?

Eichenberg is my choice and hope IF he's still there.  By the way, I hope with our first 3rd rounder we take a TE.  I like  Freiermuth but also like the guy from ND too.

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Eichenberg is my choice and hope IF he's still there.  By the way, I hope with our first 3rd rounder we take a TE.  I like  Freiermuth but also like the guy from ND too.

I can't seem to find much to watch Freiermuth to make a decision about him, the one game I did watch was versus Ohio State and man was Chase Young unstoppable in that one.  I love Brevin Jordan but am guessing he's gone in the third.  Ditto Tremble.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can't seem to find much to watch Freiermuth to make a decision about him, the one game I did watch was versus Ohio State and man was Chase Young unstoppable in that one.  I love Brevin Jordan but am guessing he's gone in the third.  Ditto Tremble.

Hope we can land one of the 3. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lets say the goal is a LT and WR in round 1 or 2.

If we go WR in round 1 what LTs would still be there in the late 2nd?  Eichenberg, Radunz? Hudson? Mayfield?

The Bama tack could possibly drop to 51.  Carman and Walker Little would likely be available with Walker possibly there in the third.

Austin Jackson was heavily mocked in the first last year and went in the 70s.

Edited by Ball Security

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The Bama tack could possibly drop to 51.  Carman and Walker Little would likely be available with Walker possibly there in the third.

Austin Jackson was heavily mocked in the first last year and went in the 70s.

Austin Jackson went 18th to Miami.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

That rationale is why I'm kind of going back to drafting LT at 19 even if it could be a slight reach.  For the most part, starting caliber LTs aren't found past round 3 (David Bhaktari probably the lone exception).  

Yep, most of them are top 50 picks.  Maybe one or two developmental gems make it out of the top 50 per class, but they are hard to find.  OT is almost as restrictive from a body type perspective as edge rusher, so the guys who are big enough and fast enough for the NFL generally get identified and they start out pretty high on draft boards early in the process.

If we don't get an OT prospect at 19, we can probably still get one around 51 though.  some combo of OT & WR makes a lot of sense for our first two picks in the draft.

Eric Stokes 4.24 40

There is no ****ing way he ran a legit 4.24.  That is insane.  I want to see the laser timing on that.

Once we start seeing the athletic testing and official measurements for the OTs, then I think the board will sort itself out.  It could be upended by some crazy 40 numbers like if Leatherwood or Radunz or Spencer Brown run 4.8s.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Jenkins interests me quite a bit in the first round because his floor seems so high.  But what I want to know is if he has the ability to move to LT, because if so, that makes his ceiling quite high too.

Cleveland's OL went from crap to dominant and a big part of that was getting Conklin and Wells.  Charles, Jenkins, Scherff, Moses, Roullier seems like a really good 5 man group, and the easiest configuration to draw up from that would be for Jenkins to play LT and Charles to play LG.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Jenkins interests me quite a bit in the first round because his floor seems so high.  But what I want to know is if he has the ability to move to LT, because if so, that makes his ceiling quite high too.

Cleveland's OL went from crap to dominant and a big part of that was getting Conklin and Wells.  Charles, Jenkins, Scherff, Moses, Roullier seems like a really good 5 man group, and the easiest configuration to draw up from that would be for Jenkins to play LT and Charles to play LG.

If his athletic testing is legit, I'd roll with Teven Jenkins at #19 and try him out at LT first.  I like his moxie more than Darrisaw/Slater.  Nobody moves like Slater, but he's not exactly a bulldog out there.  For the record, I'd also like Slater at #19, but he's not falling that far.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Once we start seeing the athletic testing and official measurements for the OTs, then I think the board will sort itself out.  It could be upended by some crazy 40 numbers like if Leatherwood or Radunz or Spencer Brown run 4.8s.

A guy that big who can run a 4.8?  Wildcat, baby!

As for James Wiggins, if we do draft him, I hope we don't call him "Chief".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I mean, lately Bateman is being talked up as low teens, and threatening to break into the Top 10.  Not sure if I've seen a recent mock of him in the 2nd round since his 40 yard dash came in at whatever training facility that was.

I think Justin Jefferson improved in the off-season between college and pro, which is pretty awesome.  Jefferson in the Pro's showed an ability to plant hard and switch direction.  He also decelerated well when planting for that reason.  I don't think Bateman has that 1 step plant.  He's too much of a smooth mover.  His cuts aren't setup the CB, plant hard, and go the opposite direction of the CB's hips.  It's more of an effortless looking tightly rounded cut.  He's more of a shift gears at ease.  I don't think Bateman moves like Jefferson.

I'd say Bateman is more like Jefferson's size though than 6'2 and 215.  Jefferson came into the combine at 6'1 and 202.  I know he's listed bigger, but colleges often lie a bit.  Being a tank is also not Bateman's bread and butter.  He's terrible in traffic.  I'm with, I think Skinsinparadise, Bateman is best as a Z receiver.  Not a slot and probably not an X.  He wants that slightly cleaner release the Z gives you, and the more space away from the middle he can be.  He still does shallow crossers well, but those are best run from outside WR anyways.

I like Bateman, and would like him on WFT.  I just don't think he's got the package you normally look for in a Top half of the 1st round WR he's currently being billed as.  I think he's more of a 2nd rounder in an average draft class.  I don't know, I'm probably being weird.  Every year WR's go where I don't think they should.

• Like 1