Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Tremble in the first would indeed be a luxury pick. They do have OJ Howard coming off the IR and a ton of FA's they will need to resign or replace.

Also, Tremble was considered a day 3 pick about a month ago. OJ Howard was considered a no-brainer 1-2 in his draft year and the best TE was taken in round 5.

35 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Additionally, there are a handful of slot receivers that I believe should be available in the 4th-5th round range.  I am curious if the FO has soured on WR Steven Sims due to his poor performance last season and plan to replace him?

I'd say so judging by the type of receivers they've met with.   An NFL.com stats person rated the receiving corp of every team, they put us dead last.   We need both a slot and Z IMO.

• Like 1

Wonder if Standig is talking about the WFT or just in general?  I just watched a few more Bateman games.  I think I like him better at Z than slot.  His weakness IMO is the same as Marshall which is drops up the middle/in between the numbers (10-15 yards down the field).  I am not sure if they are afraid of getting hit there by the safety?  Bateman though like Marshall has plenty to like aside from that weakness.    He just strikes me most confortable with short passes in the flat and or if pushing the ball further down the field then to my eyes he looks more comfortable on the outside.   He's good on the inside too if he has some space to work with but is more inconsistent there.

I prefer Bateman slightly over Marshall because he's the smoother route runner, has the greater get off, and seperates so quickly in the flat.   Marshall is a monster IMO once he finds his 2nd gear going deep, has a better IMO catch radius and I like him more when it comes to contested catches.   Bateman is the better run blocker though he isn't a great run blocker IMO, Marshall is flat out bad at it.   IMO they both have to work on those concentration drops in the middle of the field.   

Bateman's ability to quickly separate in the flat and find the seam reminds me a lot of Jordan Reed. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd say so judging by the type of receivers they've met with.   An NFL.com stats person rated the receiving corp of every team, they put us dead last.   We need both a slot and Z IMO.

I completely agree! Hopefully a veteran Z is signed and we draft the slot...

Also, where can I get a list of draft eligible players interviewed by WFT?

Edited by Redskins Reparations

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Having said that, these days the base defense isn't as big of a deal. So the 4-3 MLB distinction doesn't matter like it once did and he'd be on the field in nickel.  He's a good LB for 2 LB back sets and that means everything in today's NFL. 

Zaven I think becomes more interesting perhaps if they sign a traditional 4-3 MLB in FA.    IMO he'd be a great pairing in that context versus shifting him to MLB from the jump. 

We are together on him being best on the outside, edge and in a 2 LB set right now with potential of playing the middle.

The thing I have been trying to drive home along with all that is show me the list of traditional MLB that can also play well in the 2 LB set with the coverage obligations. I mean, they are mostly Bostic

There are many LB's who are smaller that can cover the TE and RB including JOK who is a tremendous for this.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

I agree about Rondale of all the receivers in this draft he screams to me Scott Turner's offense more than anyone.  Him and Toney. 

3 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I completely agree! Hopefully a veteran Z is signed and we draft the slot...

Also, where can I get a list of draft eligible players interviewed by WFT?

If you go back on this thread -- last 3-4 pages it was posted here.  I posted it from random tweets I found. 

Another one of my favorite receivers, 3rd round type

• Like 2

I think Waddle is underrated. He was better than Smith when both were healthy. Anyone can see the speed, but he also tracks the ball super well. I think he’s a Desean Jackson clone. Similar size, speed, quickness, ball tracking. He’s my favorite WR for this team. I’d love to grab him in the first. I hope his injury causes him to slide a bit. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think Waddle is underrated. He was better than Smith when both were healthy. Anyone can see the speed, but he also tracks the ball super well. I think he’s a Desean Jackson clone. Similar size, speed, quickness, ball tracking. He’s my favorite WR for this team. I’d love to grab him in the first. I hope his injury causes him to slide a bit. 

Also doubles as a Mac Jones highlight reel. 

So many good throws.  pump fakes, play fakes, looking off defenders left and right.  Sliding in the pocket off, angle throws, throws under pressure.  A lot of his best stuff in this vid.

If you look closely at a lot of the safety play over top of waddle on the deep passes and the linebacker play underneath on his swing and short passes, you can see how they are almost always manipulated by Jones eyes and body. Also with his play action and pumpfakes.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

Also doubles as a Mac Jones highlight reel. 

So many good throws.  pump fakes, play fakes, looking off defenders left and right.  Sliding in the pocket off, angle throws, throws under pressure.  A lot of his best stuff in this vid.

If you look closely at a lot of the safety play over top of waddle on the deep passes and the linebacker play underneath on his swing and short passes, you can see how they are almost always manipulated by Jones eyes and body. Also with his play action and pumpfakes.  

Jones is my QB5. I’ll start there. 

But I’d be okay with him.

He does the little things... that matters.

Hes my 5 because I think the 4 ahead of him have much higher ceilings. But I think a good portion of them have lower floors, too.

I wouldn’t argue with Mac as our QB, to be honest.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Hes my 5 because I think the 4 ahead of him have much higher ceilings. But I think a good portion of them have lower floors, too.

I might agree with your floor argument too.  Its interesting because from one perspective you could say that the guys ahead of him with the tools give them higher floors because they can fall back on them, but for how long?  At the same time some of the things Jones can do well already, make me think that he is a very high propability to be at least average over a longer period of time. He needs a team, but I think if he gets one, he will have a very high probability of success, just maybe not elite. A lot of these tool guys can lean on them early but flame out if they get beat up, or defenses figure them out.  But the Jones type guys who do all the little things well, might have a higher probability to be consistent winners...

Both arguments have some valid points.  Having wheels is a hell of a floor lifter.

57 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I am in the same place about Mac.  I can see the pro argument.  I can see the con.  If they decided they like Mac, I am not going to flip out about it.  I'll see where the ride goes.  I do suspect the mock drafters are overrating where Mac will land in this draft.  I think he ends up 15-22 range.  But will see. 

12. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM (VIA 49ERS): QB MAC JONES, ALABAMA

GC: The 49ers could have taken Mac Jones, but they opt for another year of Jimmy Garoppolo and grab a few more picks along the way. Meanwhile, Washington desperately needs to start taking shots at quarterback, and after missing out on the Deshaun Watson train in this scenario, this pick makes the most sense for them.

Jones has the short-area accuracy and ability to make timing throws that will greatly benefit wide receiver Terry McLaurin. Jones' 84.2% adjusted completion percentage (accounting for drops, batted passes and throwaways) was the highest in the class, and he eviscerated the middle of the field (see the heat maps below).

You don’t have to think he’s better than Tua Tagovailoa to take him in the first round. His player comp in the 2021 PFF Draft Guide sums this up perfectly — go check it out.

Mac_Jones_HeatMap.png

13. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: OT RASHAWN SLATER, NORTHWESTERN

EE: Slater and Virginia Tech's Christian Darrisaw are both equally plausible picks here to protect reigning Rookie of the Year Justin Herbert. Slater has statistical comps that include Trent Williams and Nate Solder during their first five NFL seasons as pass protectors, which would offer substantial value for a franchise that has struggled up front for the better part of a decade.

14. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: DI CHRISTIAN BARMORE, ALABAMA

GC: Contrary to popular belief, the analytics nerds are capable of learning new things. PFF's Eric Eager has been known for his ability to convert to the truth, and this switch-up to interior defense mattering is perhaps the one good thing to happen in 2020.

It just so happens that his hometown Vikings are able to benefit here at No. 14 and snag the only interior defender worth drafting anywhere near the first round. Barmore earned a 91.5 PFF pass-rush grade in 2020, and his player comp from PFF's Mike Renner is Gerald McCoy.

15. HOUSTON TEXANS (VIA PATRIOTS, WHO GET TUA TAGOVAILOA😞 CB ASANTE SAMUEL JR., FLORIDA STATE

EE: Houston trades the rights to Tua Tagovailoa for New England’s first-rounder, as the Patriots trade out of the first round for the second straight year. Pairing Samuel with Xavien Howard (see the trade at Pick No. 3) gives the Houston Texans, who were the eighth-worst team at turning salary into WAR at the cornerback position in 2020, a pair of coverage guys with which to rebuild their defense in the Justin Fields era.

16. ARIZONA CARDINALS: CB PATRICK SURTAIN II, ALABAMA

GC: With Patrick Peterson on the way out, the Cardinals bring in a CB3 to join a suddenly young and versatile defense that consists of Budda Baker and 2020 first-round pick Isaiah Simmons. Surtain has the technique and size to jump in and contribute immediately. He forced 10 incompletions last season, the seventh-most in the draft class.

17. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS: WR RASHOD BATEMAN, MINNESOTA

EE: The Raiders take a wide receiver for the second straight year, opting for the more complete Rashod Bateman out of Minnesota. Bateman’s statistical comps for his first five years are Robert Woods and Davante Adams — also in their first five years — which would nicely complement Henry Ruggs III‘s speed and Darren Waller‘s elite play in the middle of the field. Bateman reported that he ran a sub-4.4 40-yard dash, which should quell any of the bogus fears about his straight-line speed.

18. HOUSTON TEXANS (VIA DOLPHINS): EDGE AZEEZ OJULARI, GEORGIA

GC: Another part of the Deshaun Watson trade from Pick No. 3, the Texans look to rebuild their team with a replacement for future Hall of Famer J.J. Watt. Ojulari projects extremely well as a pass rusher, and he showed why in his final season at Georgia, winning 25% of his pass-rush snaps.

19. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (VIA FOOTBALL TEAM): CB JAYCEE HORN, SOUTH CAROLINA

EE: After trading back, the 49ers acquire Horn, who should step right in for the departed Richard Sherman. Horn has the third-lowest projected adjusted completion percentage allowed in the draft class in addition to the fifth-best projected playmaker rate (rate of passes broken up or intercepted).

20. CHICAGO BEARS: OT CHRISTIAN DARRISAW, VIRGINIA TECH

GC: If the Bears are somehow able to make a move for Russell Wilson, this pick figures to bring Alabama running back Najee Harris to Seattle. Assuming that doesn’t happen, Chicago will need to create an environment conducive to passing success for whoever leads their offense.

Darrisaw could have easily gone ahead of Rashawn Slater, as his projected pressure rate allowed is actually a little better and he earned an insane 95.6 PFF grade last season — a 15-point jump from his 2019 campaign — that ranked second in the FBS.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-carolina-panthers-byu-zach-wilson-trade-lsu-jamarr-chase-atlanta-falcons

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Watching this video makes me actually like Jones even more. 

• Like 1

Nah. I think we should stay pat at 19 and have the draft go like this: :)

TEAM PICKS

19: R1 P19 QB Zach Wilson - BYU
51: R2 P19 LB Cameron McGrone - Michigan
74: R3 P10 OT Walker Little - Stanford
82: R3 P18 WR Elijah Moore - Ole Miss
124: R4 P19 RB Rhamondre Stevenson - Oklahoma
164: R5 P19 TE Tre' McKitty - Georgia
243: R7 P17 CB Nate Hobbs - Illinois
245: R7 P19 G Kayode Awosika - Buffalo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/sports/nfl/football

Peter King.... Would not shock me to see him drop. Anyone know about Lances other traits? Work habits, off field personality, general background? I dont know a ton about him, but I hope we are prepared to pounce if we love him in case he does drop outta the top 10.

8782EBB7-604E-4B20-BFC1-76065494D840.jpeg

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I’ve been doing a ton of mocks lately and these are the players that have dropped to us the most often just for the sake of exercise, doesn’t mean much. 

1. Mac Jones

2. Jeremiah Owusu Koromoah

3.Rousseau

4. Trey Lance

5. Davonta Smith

6. Slater

If Smith is there at 19 I am running my card up real fast. He will end up being a top 8 player on my big board. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 1:07 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if Standig is talking about the WFT or just in general?  I just watched a few more Bateman games.  I think I like him better at Z than slot.  His weakness IMO is the same as Marshall which is drops up the middle/in between the numbers (10-15 yards down the field).  I am not sure if they are afraid of getting hit there by the safety?  Bateman though like Marshall has plenty to like aside from that weakness.    He just strikes me most confortable with short passes in the flat and or if pushing the ball further down the field then to my eyes he looks more comfortable on the outside.   He's good on the inside too if he has some space to work with but is more inconsistent there.

I prefer Bateman slightly over Marshall because he's the smoother route runner, has the greater get off, and seperates so quickly in the flat.   Marshall is a monster IMO once he finds his 2nd gear going deep, has a better IMO catch radius and I like him more when it comes to contested catches.   Bateman is the better run blocker though he isn't a great run blocker IMO, Marshall is flat out bad at it.   IMO they both have to work on those concentration drops in the middle of the field.   

Bateman's ability to quickly separate in the flat and find the seam reminds me a lot of Jordan Reed. 

I don't understand the 1st round hype of Bateman.  I'd like him on our team, and I also agree he seems more of a Z receiver.  But he's not really a contested catch guy, he doesn't catch well at full extension.  He's not a plant hard and explode the other way type of guy.  He's a fluid mover through and through, but that also means he's not breaking ankles with his routes.  More of a "just make the CB pay for being too far off or having poor leverage or something" type of WR.  He's not a slot type that can run Choice routes on a heads up defender.  But having simple rules for possible Choice routes could be great.  Like too far off, speed in/out or shallow crosser.  Applying inside leverage, then fade down the sideline instead of a post.

Despite his limitations, he can do some cuts at speed without losing much juice.  And at 6'1 200+ pounds that's useful.  If I had to guess, 2nd half of 2nd round is appropriate value.  1st half of 3rd round is good value.  1st round is just crazy.  1st half of 2nd round could be appropriate depending how a team thinks his skill set fits with what they already have.

I will say, Bateman probably works best with a QB that goes through multiple reads.  His no fuss no fancy stuff route running style means QB's can quickly tell if Bateman is a quality target or not.

If I were Tua I would want Harris too!

Wish WFT would one stop shop in Tennessee on the 17th and bring home LB Jayon Brown, WR Corey Davis and TE Jonnu Smith

Add in the resigning of Scherff and maybe Darby and my mind would be more at ease as we look the draft to fill the other holes and make it easier to think QB.

Might make thought of moving up to grab a QB a little easier too

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't understand the 1st round hype of Bateman.  I'd like him on our team, and I also agree he seems more of a Z receiver.  But he's not really a contested catch guy, he doesn't catch well at full extension.  He's not a plant hard and explode the other way type of guy.  He's a fluid mover through and through, but that also means he's not breaking ankles with his routes.  More of a "just make the CB pay for being too far off or having poor leverage or something" type of WR.  He's not a slot type that can run Choice routes on a heads up defender.  But having simple rules for possible Choice routes could be great.  Like too far off, speed in/out or shallow crosser.  Applying inside leverage, then fade down the sideline instead of a post.

Despite his limitations, he can do some cuts at speed without losing much juice.  And at 6'1 200+ pounds that's useful.  If I had to guess, 2nd half of 2nd round is appropriate value.  1st half of 3rd round is good value.  1st round is just crazy.  1st half of 2nd round could be appropriate depending how a team thinks his skill set fits with what they already have.

I will say, Bateman probably works best with a QB that goes through multiple reads.  His no fuss no fancy stuff route running style means QB's can quickly tell if Bateman is a quality target or not.

i like Bateman but I also like about 5 other receivers around the same give or take so I'd take BPA who falls to the 2nd round pick.  His ability to break open quickly, find the seam and make plays in the flat IMO is his niche.  I do think he can run choice routes out of the slot but I like him on the outside better from the context of his hands seem more trustworthy with out routes.   His concentration drops are what worries me most about his game. 

This is a pretty cool article from a Ravens centric site examining the 27th pick in the draft over the past decade. Included at pick 27 over the past 10 years are Deandre Hopkins. Tredavious White, Kenny Clark, Kevin Zeitler, Jimmy Smith and Devin Mccourty. It seems the position to hit most often later in the draft is DB. And 6 good players were picked at the 27th position over the past decade:

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/lists/2021-nfl-draft-reviewing-27-pick-last-decade/

• Like 1