Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

38 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Has the team and everyone given up on Saahdiq Charles ?

I doubt anybody has, but it's hard to incorporate him into future plans.  Sure he apparently practiced better than they thought, but had an injury halfway through training camp that knocked him out for 6-8 weeks.  Then he had a worse injury 2 plays in that ended his season.  Is that just fluke bad luck or a sign of recurring issues?  If we re-sign Scherff, I'm against drafting IOL until Day 3.  We've got our Starting Center and Backup Center locked up for 4 and 3 seasons respectively.  Schweitzer has 2 more seasons, Charles has 3 more seasons, and if Scherff is brought back he'd be on a longer term deal.

For OT though.  Moses has 2 years left.  Lucas has 1 left and is 'OK', but seems best suited as a quality backup OT.  Geron Christian has 1 season left, and he's a bit below average but sort of OK, yet he's also had 2 season ending injuries in 3 years.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Javonte Williams, not sure if you saw the response above.. 

I saw. I see Williams more in that second tier category along with the Jared Patterson’s and Gainwells plus I’m always skeptical when a team produces two prospects at the RB position, makes me wonder how much it was the scheme and the line. Not discounting them because I don’t remember watching them outside of that game both flirted with 300 each, but to me, just like WR, there are only two RB beasts and then a bunch of potentially great finds.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

For OT though.  Moses has 2 years left.  Lucas has 1 left and is 'OK', but seems best suited as a quality backup OT.  Geron Christian has 1 season left, and he's a bit below average but sort of OK, yet he's also had 2 season ending injuries in 3 years.

I actually expect they’ll extend Moses this year and I also don’t expect Geron to make it through camp.

7 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I doubt anybody has, but it's hard to incorporate him into future plans.  Sure he apparently practiced better than they thought, but had an injury halfway through training camp that knocked him out for 6-8 weeks.  Then he had a worse injury 2 plays in that ended his season.  Is that just fluke bad luck or a sign of recurring issues?  If we re-sign Scherff, I'm against drafting IOL until Day 3.  We've got our Starting Center and Backup Center locked up for 4 and 3 seasons respectively.  Schweitzer has 2 more seasons, Charles has 3 more seasons, and if Scherff is brought back he'd be on a longer term deal.

Good post!  Based on resigning Scherff WFT should be set at IOL. 

The question marks at T left by Christian and Charles combined with the strong draft class at T would make this a good year to grab a T on day one or 2. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I've not done any deep dive whatsoever into any one position and there's only so much to be gleaned from our ends with what we have access to regardless- obviously. My opinion on players certainly evolve to be sure. Samuel Cosmi is one such player that is piquing my interest. I like him. Charles and Cosmi as are future bookends could be quite nice for us. 

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

Just watched some Tulsa vs Cincinnati tape because I wanted to see more of Zaven Collins, also to check out Ridder. But who caught my eye was Cinci OT Hudson. Super, super quick and light on his feet. May need some more strength and base but man he can get to the second level. Impressive athlete. I think he goes higher than current projections.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

I've not done any deep dive whatsoever into any one position and there's only so much to be gleaned from our ends with what we have access to regardless- obviously. My opinion on players certainly evolve to be sure. Samuel Cosmi is one such player that is piquing my interest. I like him. Charles and Cosmi as are future bookends could be quite nice for us. 

I do think that this draft lines up well for drafting an OT of the future in Rounds 1-3.

Saahdiq Charles is kind of a wild-card. I think he's probably one of the future OTs, but also could be the future LG.

Regardless, I would feel really good about our current and future OL prospects if we nailed an OT in Round 1 or 2 this year. At worst you have your future RT and LG in place. At best you have your bookend OTs on rookie contracts. Maybe the likeliest case is you have your future LT and LG in place with an extended Moses at RT for a few more years.

The way Schweizer played last year though, there's no reason to think he won't be the LG for 2021 and 2022 given his fairly cheap contract. But if Charles emerges as a dominant LG and forces the team to insert him into the starting line this year, then Schweizer is probably a cut option prior to 2022.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I saw. I see Williams more in that second tier category along with the Jared Patterson’s and Gainwells plus I’m always skeptical when a team produces two prospects at the RB position, makes me wonder how much it was the scheme and the line. Not discounting them because I don’t remember watching them outside of that game both flirted with 300 each, but to me, just like WR, there are only two RB beasts and then a bunch of potentially great finds.

I actually expect they’ll extend Moses this year and I also don’t expect Geron to make it through camp.

Watch Williams on this run. This is what he gives you. Power, balance and speed all in one package. 

I love Najee Harris. I think scarcity and considering resource allocation would probably make me lean towards an OT in Rd 1, if there is a very good one, and Williams in Rd 2. Or even a WR if one falls and Williams. I think Waddle may be there. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

I predict Mac Jones will have a more productive career in the NFL than Tua.

Tua is far more talented but also far more injury prone, so you could certainly be correct. All the talent in the world is meaningless if you can't stay on the field.

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Watch Williams on this run. This is what he gives you. Power, balance and speed all in one package. 

I’m not saying he isn’t good but I don’t think he’s on the level of Etienne and Najee. This was the game both he and Carter went off for 300 each right?

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

What do you guys think of hunter long?

I've seen a couple mocks that have us taking him in the third.

I think he's slow and a compiler who lacks dynamism, and his contested catch ability isn't as good as I thought it would be.  But he's big and has good body control and decent hands.

You can find Hunter Longs in any year.  He wouldn't be BPA in the third for me.  Maybe in the fifth round.  I'd rather draft Granson outright, or take a big swing on a high upside prospect like Tremble, Yeboah, or McKitty.  Or go with a TE like Noah Gray in round seven who has lower upside but also lower cost and better hands.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I love Najee Harris. I think scarcity and considering resource allocation would probably make me lean towards an OT in Rd 1, if there is a very good one, and Williams in Rd 2. Or even a WR if one falls and Williams. I think Waddle may be there. 

You add Waddle and Williams and you completely change your offense. Williams and Gibson pound you to death and then Waddle blows by you on a play action pass for 50 yard bomb. I am down with this. 

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m not saying he isn’t good but I don’t think he’s on the level of Etienne and Najee. This was the game both he and Carter went off for 300 each right?

250 each. But it was also against the number 10 ranked team at the time. I actually like Williams more than Etienne. He is a more powerful runner. Which I think translates better to the NFL game. 

• Like 1
On 2/21/2021 at 6:20 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I think we got to get a WR in the 2nd or third.  The position is too rich in this draft.    I've heard two different beat guys say Gandy-Golden didn't look that hot in camp.   Granted he is coming from a small school and will need some time -- but i don't get the greatest vibe right now that they believe in him in a big way just yet.  

Supposedly it was him vs Mims going into that senior bowl, or whatever bowl they went into, and Mims blew his --- right out of the water. Never had high hopes w/Gandy Golden, was just cautiously optimistic, w/little reason to be so other than that he was solid. Not surprised they've cooled a great deal on him over the past 10 months. 

On 2/23/2021 at 9:20 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

DJ's new top 50, just out, good summary IMO of Marshall

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-2-0

Rank

Terrace Marshall Jr.

LSU · WR · Junior

Marshall is a tall, long and athletic wideout. He's played in the slot and outside. He is at his best as a vertical target on seams, corners and post routes. The former Tiger has a smooth, easy stride and he builds speed down the field. He isn't a crisp route runner, but he does know how to use his body to shield off defenders. He had some drops on the tape I watched, but he makes up for them with big plays. He's very physical and competitive after the catch. He breaks a lot of tackles. Marshall hasn't put it all together yet, but all of the tools are there for him to be a solid No. 2 receiver in the NFL.

I like Marshall. He's not in my top two tiers, but slides in right before the position falls off a bit for me. Right now I'm looking at it as:

Tier 1:

1. Jamar Chase

Tier 2:

2. Rashod Bateman

3. Rondale Moore

4. Devonta Smith

5. Jaylon Waddle

Tier 3: 

6. Terrence Marshall

7. T. Terry (FSU Freak)

8. A. St. Brown

9. T. Wallace

10. K. toney

Slot guys:

Amari Rodgers

Elijah Moore

Sneaky Day 3 pick

Another 5 star recruit that didn't deliver at Michigan (following the Donovan Peoples Jones Paradigm)

Nico Collins

My targets would be Rondale Moore, and Tamorrian Terry. Ideal would be to steal Bateman in round 2, but he's going to fly up boards after his 40 the other day and probably break into late round 1 for a playoff team that needs a WR, or a garbage team that needs WR talent and trades into late round 1. 

I see Moore as the best value. He's a top 10 talent who sounds like will be available during day 2, and at that rate he's a mega steal. I like Terry because he's another guy you can get with the FSU Dumpster Fire discount, like Dalvin Cook in '17 and Cam Akers in '20 (although in fairness, Akers went much higher than people were expecting and the rams were very smart to grab him (though I had Swift, Taylor and Dobbins ahead of him). He's an absolute monster, gigantic size and sub 4.4 speed and production despite the team being utter manure.  I like Nico Collins as a chance to snap up crazy value the way the Browns did with Peoples-Jones. I had Peoples Jones a lot higher than most last year because of the pedigree and the fact that Michigan's problems and perpetual lack of a QB was killing production numbers for their playmakers. Now it might be Collins turn to be a steal for someone. I honestly have no idea when he'll go, guys with his profile can go late day 2, or fall deep into day 3, but he's a guy that's a great roll of the dice option especially if he falls into day 3. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 2
On 2/23/2021 at 10:41 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

The 2021 NFL Draft is not especially strong for defensive front seven talent, but Penn State's Micah Parson is one of the prospects with a first-round skill set for any draft class. The 6-foot-3, 245-pounder has excellent size alongside speed and athleticism. Parsons sat out the 2020 pandemic season after serving as a 2-year starter since being a top recruit coming out of high school. While Parsons was projected to be the top linebacker for the 2021 NFL Draft, he carries significant character concerns that could cause him to suffer a significant first-round slide, according to multiple teams, and some teams may remove him from their boards because of the character issue.

Part of the character content is public knowledge. A former teammate of Parsons has sued Penn State for hazing, and Parsons was prominently and repeatedly named in that lawsuit for administering physical, verbal and emotional abuse on his teammate. Aside from that issue, team sources say they have concerns about other parts of Parsons' makeup, football character, and off-the-field conduct.

On the field, multiple team sources say Parsons is not as good of a player as other recent top-10 linebackers like Tampa Bay's Devin White or Chicago's Roquan Smith. Here's what one director of college scouting said about Parsons, "He's very overrated to me. He doesn't play downhill, is not physical taking on [blocks], is a clean-air guy, and his instincts don't jump out. He is a freak athlete that can rush the passer. Someone will probably take him early, but I would scratch him from top-10 consideration."

Another aspect of the pandemic year is more difficulty for prospects with character concerns helping to alleviate those concerns before the 2021 NFL Draft. The combine and pre-draft visits were canceled by the league, so limited video conferencing is the only outlet Parsons has to try to dispel the character concerns directly. Parsons has a great skill set, but his character issues could cause him to slide in the 2021 NFL Draft.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Character-Concerns-Hurting-Parsons

Yeah I posted about him some yesterday, haven't really studied him.  Looks like DJ really digs him.  His PFF numbers are really good.  He has the hight to bulk up more. 

After what happened with that Seattle OL, nothing seems to be sticking with Parsons. It's weird, I keep seeing him viewed as a first rounder despite him appearing to be a criminally minded epic pos. If the story is true, he's beyond vile. I'm surprised this isn't sticking to him more. 

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Someone sell me on Moehrig.  I watched some of him and I'm not seeing a mid-1st rounder.

My take is Moehrig is likely the best cover FS though not the best in the tackling/contact department. Someone I think could be pretty good at FS is Paulson Adebo if he were willing to change. 

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

My take is Moehrig is likely the best cover FS though not the best in the tackling/contact department. Someone I think could be pretty good at FS is Paulson Adebo if he were willing to change. 

I've read that, but when I was watching he seemed to never be close enough in Single High to do anything.  Granted, All-22 isn't showing the throws that weren't made because he was there, but still.  Felt like he was late to react and move towards the WR that was going to get the the deep shot at times.

He does have tunnel vision once he sees a WR stack.  He's just glued onto it hoping for a WR screen so he can attack downhill.  Loses track of the rest of the field.  But at least if it is a WR screen, he's got that blown up.  He spent a fair amount of time in direct coverage on someone.  Sometimes it looked good, sometimes not.  But if that's what we're going for, there are other FS options that can do around that level.

Hot take: Moehrig isn't a 1st rounder.  Richie Grant in the 3rd is similar value.  So far most of my scouting is just coming up with reasons to trade back instead of picking that person at #19.

I'm all about CB conversions to FS.  If Adebo is aggressive, a good tackler, and played a fair amount of Cover 3 zone, than I'm all about that conversion.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

After what happened with that Seattle OL, nothing seems to be sticking with Parsons. It's weird, I keep seeing him viewed as a first rounder despite him appearing to be a criminally minded epic pos. If the story is true, he's beyond vile. I'm surprised this isn't sticking to him more. 

I have a feeling his stock will take a hit as we get closer to the draft. But I think it will be a Joe Mixon situation and he won't drop too far. Sometimes these guys with talent are almost just given a slap on the wrist and taken a little later than they should have been. Didn't this happen to Tyreek as well? I feel like I've heard he could have been a 1st round guy if not for his off the field stuff. 

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Hot take: Moehrig isn't a 1st rounder.  Richie Grant in the 3rd is similar value.  So far most of my scouting is just coming up with reasons to trade back instead of picking that person at #19.

I'd certainly consider Moehrig in the 2nd or Grant in the 3rd. I also really like Holland from Oregon. Later targets I like are Andre Cisco, Reed Blankenship and Tariq Thompson. 

I guess it really just depends on what we do in FA. I'd rather not go safety early this year. I'd like to come away with an OT in the first or second and go LB or WR with the other pick. There's just so much talent that I really hope we can slide back or out off the first entirely to get a few more picks.