Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the hell is Wrong with Scherff?

clskinsfan

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Is anyone else feeling pretty good right now that Scherff turned down a 13 Mill per year contract extension during the off season? The guy has not been good this year. Not even close. Penalties, sacks allowed and power stats are all down. He has not been the same player since the injury. The question is do you want to invest in him going forward? I wanted to edit this to include some stats. Scherff is below the league average in both Run and Passing stats this season:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

Damn right....this team doesnt need a 14 mil guard. Much less an overrated 14 mil guard. I always thought the guy was overrated it was just redskins fans being redskins fans pumping up their 5th pick.

19 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

It would be awful for Scherff to say publicly he wanted a trade if thats the case.  Could you imagine?  A second pro bowler saying they didn’t want to be here.

What’s the over/under of players who would welcome a trade?  30?

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The idea that he's intentionally playing bad because he doesn't want to be here makes no ****ing sense. It might be true that he doesn't want to be here... I highly doubt he wants to leave bad enough that he'd purposely play ****ty & cost himself millions of dollars

Realistically you are probably right but theoretically he could just say, “they used me wrong” or just say “redskins”

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Realistically you are probably right but theoretically he could just say, “they used me wrong” or just say “redskins”

Yeah but I mean... it doesn’t work like that in real life.

He’s playing hurt and it’s affecting his performance. He very well may want to leave but that’s a separate issue & we shouldn’t conflate the two.

9 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The idea that he's intentionally playing bad because he doesn't want to be here makes no ****ing sense. It might be true that he doesn't want to be here... I highly doubt he wants to leave bad enough that he'd purposely play ****ty & cost himself millions of dollars

Yep - funny how so many people here can read his mind & know what it is like playing against the best players in the world coming off a tough injury.  I would love to see how some folks here would fare in that situation. Saying that he doesn't care & is intentionally playing bad is just downright insulting to the guy.  Let's see how this plays out for the reminder of the season before coming to any definitive conclusions.

I also love how people say "Get rid of this guy" & "Get rid of that guy".  How Snyderesque.  People do realize that you have to replace these guys with someone & draft picks & the next sexy FA are not always the answer.  If they get rid of him they are likely stuck with yet another scrub playing in his place.  Even if they are able to rebuild it will take time, and it sounds like a lot of Redskins fans have virtually no patience.  Even if magically they got a new front office it would still take time to get this right so patience is required.

This board has been full of mourning over letting go of Preston Smith and Jamison Crowder too early. It's disconcerting how everyone is so eager to repeat the same mistake with Brandon Scherff before even finishing the season. The one player who was consistently good for 4 years until now.

11 hours ago, mojo said:

Let him walk and spend that money on a free agent. The fact we spent the #3 pick on a guard is ridiculous to begin with.

It was the #5 pick.  And it's not ridiculous, not in today's NFL, because of the rookie wage scale.  Before the rookie wage scale, the reason teams wouldn't draft a guard usually until later rounds was because of the ridiculous contracts negotiated for 1st round draft picks.  In that draft, Scherff was the top rated OL, we needed OL, so they drafted him.  

Should we let him walk?  I dunno, it depends on what they do with TW.  I'd like to see us trade TW for a 1st round pick in the 2020 draft, then use both of those picks on a LT and RT while keeping Scherff.  Unless there is a better guard out there in FA that would sign with us.  

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Tape dont lie.

True.  So go back, if you're able, and look at the two "holding" calls on him Sunday.  To call them phantom calls is an understatement.  I hate to whine about officiating, but Jesus Christ those calls sucked.

O-line is a position that seems like it would be difficult to play at an elite level in a bubble by yourself.  There is just so much intricacies to technique and assignments.  It is rarely ever just you against a single rushing defender one on one (even if the play initially starts as such).  Not to mention you also have to have a QB in sync and understanding the right blocking assignments to call out and when to audible to different ones etc etc.....case in point (no pun intended) Keenum took the blame for the Moses play where he just stood there, said he failed to get the correct snap count to him.

Sherff was so good from Day 1 that at this point I am refusing to believe he just turned into a bad player. 

He had 2 holding calls against Dallas, he fell for the fake out against the Bears, not really dominating in the run game as much, so I dont think his struggles are only a result of coming back from injury.  I dont think he's been playing at his normal Pro Bowl level all year.

Archived