Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the hell is Wrong with Scherff?

clskinsfan

25 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I must be watching different film to you guys - because to my eyes he's been solid to good. 

I'm going to watch the 49ers game when I get back, expecting it to be a reminder that it's not about him not being elite enough to make up for linemen around him not doing well or constant 8 in the box to attack the run.  Theres a difference between getting beat and guessing who to help to save the play and being wrong. 

This is different conversation then saying how much to pay him.  In my head, he doesnt need to be elite, they need to figure out how to not create another gapping hole thinking you can find better elsewhere for a better price.  I'd rather overpay then going into next season saying we had so many holes we couldnt plug the one we intentionally created.

42 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

O-line is a position that seems like it would be difficult to play at an elite level in a bubble by yourself.  There is just so much intricacies to technique and assignments.  It is rarely ever just you against a single rushing defender one on one (even if the play initially starts as such).  Not to mention you also have to have a QB in sync and understanding the right blocking assignments to call out and when to audible to different ones etc etc.....case in point (no pun intended) Keenum took the blame for the Moses play where he just stood there, said he failed to get the correct snap count to him.

Sherff was so good from Day 1 that at this point I am refusing to believe he just turned into a bad player. 

Good post.  O line plays well as a unit.  Honestly - Scherff could start for a lot of other teams.  Who else can you say that about on the Skins current O line?  Throw in tons of changes due to injuries, a line that has played together very little, coming off an injury & a sub par QB & it ain't easy.  Granted Scherff has made mistakes & can play better but certainly is not as bad as some here portray him.

You won't have to worry about how he plays after this year.  He will be playing for someone else.  Why do I say that?  Look at it from his point of view.  His services will be in demand and he will other offers.  If he has an opportunity to go to a team that at least is a playoff contender even if he has to take less money, why in gods name would be choose to stay with the Redskins.  This is a team that led its fans to believe they were rebuilding 6 years ago.  Fast forward, fired coach, fired GM, team is worse than it was then, same owner, front office being led by Doug Williams and Bruce Allen.  So lets see, what is their track record exactly.  I take Schreff as a guy who wants to win and be part of a competent football team rather than someone who wants that absolute max dollar deal he can get.  Hence, Redskins will not be able to buy him.  It is actually a similar situation to Trent Williams.  Only difference is he is actually giving up large pay checks every Sunday because he does not want to play for this dysfunctional dumpster fire that call themselves an NFL team.  Schreff is in his final season here.  Book it.

22 hours ago, megared said:

They're offering him less per year than the franchise tag.  Why would he take $13 M now, when he knows if they want to retain him, they have to pay him ~$14 M beginning next season?

That offer should have come a season ago, so he wouldn't be playing on a fifth year tag, like he is now.  

It’s never about the AAV and all about the guarantee.  There’s a reason players hate playing on the FT and that’s because there’s no guarantee beyond a year.

2 hours ago, MariusVT said:

For him to stay, it would likely take making him the highest paid guard.  Realistically he'll follow trent out the door after a franchise tag and we'll be rebuilding the entire oline

pay attention to the rules of free agency this year please

13 hours ago, NickyJ said:

This board has been full of mourning over letting go of Preston Smith and Jamison Crowder too early. It's disconcerting how everyone is so eager to repeat the same mistake with Brandon Scherff before even finishing the season. The one player who was consistently good for 4 years until now.

I dont necessarily want to get rid of him. But he isnt playing at a 14 Mill per year level either. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont necessarily want to get rid of him. But he isnt playing at a 14 Mill per year level either. 

The exact same was said of Jamison and Preston. Unless it's going into a multi-million dollar difference in what you'd pay, I'd say bite the bullet and take it. Guards don't grow on trees, we should have already learned that after enduring our LG situation, and RG before Scherff got there.

14 hours ago, MartinC said:

I must be watching different film to you guys - because to my eyes he's been solid to good. 

He has been.  OP linked a team stat ranking to argue against him.  His PFF grade is actually good and better than it was for last season and not far off his best years.  People bring up that Bears game as a knock against him as if he didn't dominate Akiem Hicks that night.  The truth is his detractors aren't really paying attention to him.  He's one of the only two players on our offense who has been good and we can afford to keep him and we can't afford to let homegrown talent walk.

9 hours ago, volsmet said:

I feel like the ES is in on an April fools plan that is nearly as elaborate as it is belated on our friend @stevemcqueen1

There has always been a lot of ****postng in the stadium, but it gets worse during losing seasons.

I'm with you 100% on the importance of the guard and center positions.  And I can see a path to dominating, identity-changing line play through resigning Scherff and getting someone like Biadasz and Adams/Lemieux.  Scherff is a dog and he'd really thrive next to an A gap warrior at center like your guys McCoy and Jenkins.  Biadasz is that guy this year.  You'd be free to move Scherff constantly.  Rouillier is a good pass blocker but lousy run blocker and we could stand an upgrade there.

Fixing tackle would also help too.  Gotta get faster there.  Moses can't run any more.

16 hours ago, Acworth skins fan said:

Pro bowls don’t mean anything to me. 1/3 of the voting are fans. More of a popularity contest imo. 

Actually in the case of a Redskins player it is very impressive if they garner a lot of fan votes.  They have very little support from their own fan base & honestly how many fans of other teams care or are impressed by Redskins players?  If a Redskins player just received the fan vote for the pro bowl then he must be doing something right (or be some type of celebrity which is certainly not the case for someone like Scherff).

9 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Again - can you get inside his body & know exactly what type of pain he is enduring or what injuries perhaps limit his movement?  Just because a player plays through an injury doesn't mean that he isn't limited to some degree.  Again - let this play out through the season & then decide how much he is worth.  If he still makes mistakes & is not effective then you may have a pt.

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Scherff was on the Finlay podcast yesterday and he said he wanted to be a "Redskin for life" and there was no hesitation when he said it.

Surprised to hear him say that.

Even Kirk was still saying that in his last couple of years here iirc. They'll follow the money, just a matter of whether this is the team willing to pay it.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Even Kirk was still saying that in his last couple of years here iirc. They'll follow the money, just a matter of whether this is the team willing to pay it.

True - so Scherff will likely hang around as long as the team doesn't screw it up & they can always tag him.  You have to remember that this is still a job for these guys & they don't always view things emotionally like a fan.

34 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This team has far too many other holes to create another by letting a Pro Bowl calibre guard leave in free agency ( and yes he IS a pro Bowl calibre guard). Get a deal done. At a minimum we will be franchise tagging him.

Awesome. The possibility for yet another O-Lineman who doesn't want to be here, doesn't want to sign what he's been presented or wants to test FA, but is forced to bite down hard. Meanwhile... not even half-decent replacements drafted at OT or OG. Man, this front office knows how to get it done!

45 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Awesome. The possibility for yet another O-Lineman who doesn't want to be here, doesn't want to sign what he's been presented or wants to test FA, but is forced to bite down hard. Meanwhile... not even half-decent replacements drafted at OT or OG. Man, this front office knows how to get it done!

His agent not wanting to sign what's presented is not a sign he 'does not want to be here'. It could however signal we have offered him a low ball deal which could in turn lead to him not wanting to be here ... who knows.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

His agent not wanting to sign what's presented is not a sign he 'does not want to be here'. It could however signal we have offered him a low ball deal which could in turn lead to him not wanting to be here ... who knows.

Would you? Knowing you have options and have upcoming free agency on a team where you see the ins and outs of this looney tunes FO, knowing there's greater potential elsewhere?

20 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Would you? Knowing you have options and have upcoming free agency on a team where you see the ins and outs of this looney tunes FO, knowing there's greater potential elsewhere?

Depends on the contract they offer me knowing they can control my rights for at least another year and factoring in the potential for injury.

Archived