Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Its clear that the guys don’t believe in Haskins in my opinion. And that’s more damning than anything else for his career in DC.

What's more damning is the defenses Haskins face don't believe in him.  The 49ers bordered on disrespect in an attempt to get the ball back as quickly as possible.  They treated Haskins like he was trash the way they were crowding the line of scrimmage.

6 minutes ago, MarkMissoula said:

Byron Leftwich seems like a better comp.

Nope.  

Leftwich had some decent years with the Jags, but couldn't stay healthy.  I think a better comp would be EJ Manuel.  The Bills gave up on him in his sophomore season after just 4 starts.  

I feel like such a Simba hater now, such a 180 from what seems like a lifetime ago.

He looked like he's never going to get it, thats how bad he was in that game.  I dont care the reason anymore, no way I'm throwing games to develop him because thats what it would be trying and thats why he was benched.

I do hope that if we have to use him, that he will give us just enough to win. I don't think its beyond him. I just don't have a lot of confidence in it yet. 

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I feel like such a Simba hater now, such a 180 from what seems like a lifetime ago.

He looked like he's never going to get it, thats how bad he was in that game.  I dont care the reason anymore, no way I'm throwing games to develop him because thats what it would be trying and thats why he was benched.

Crazy right? I really questioned Ron but its hard to now. 

1 minute ago, MarkMissoula said:

Byron Leftwich seems like a better comp.

I don't think he'll be a bust. I just think he was picked higher than he should have been by the wrong team, at the wrong time. It's clearly a better situation here now, so we'll see how he develops. Ron and Zampese believe in him. Not sure about Turner and the players. But that comes with consistency. Not that dude yet (using a phrase from the Predator). 

And btw, in what way(s) would DH comp to Leftwich or Russell? I mean Leftwich played in the league for 10 years but struggled with ankle issues (but is now coaching the Goat and will probably be a head coach somewhere in the near future). Russell played at a time (and for the **** show Raiders) when black QBs had no time to develop. Russell didn't help by being overweight. But I don't see comps at all other than all three being black QB. (???)

1 hour ago, zskins said:

At this point Haskins is 1st round bust. He is going to to go the way of JaMarcus Russell. 

I think this is a bit much.

Russell was arguably the biggest bust in QB history. He certainly rivals Leaf. Haskins hasn't been good but he hasn't been 3:1 INT/TD ratio bad like those guys. Haskins seems to have some maturity and work ethic issues but IMO Russell had far worse there too. DH seems to want to be good but just can't quite get to the point where he's willing to put in the work necessary. I don't think he's necessarily lazy per se; he's just not as crazily motivated like a guy needs to be in order to become a top NFL QB. Russell was just flat out lazy and couldn't have cared less about being any good once he got paid.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I didn't expect a 180 after being benched for a few months or anything, but at some point the 'it's just his mechanics' stuff is who he is vs. it's something to be worked on and get better at.  It seems too far off for me to ever picture it being something that he will improve enough on to be worthy of playing QB in this league.

1st drive he looked improved and pretty serviceable. Then I guess he reverted to his old instincts and got sloppy? Terrible mechanics.. The missed 1st downs by Sims (drop) and McKissic (short) made it look even worse. Hopefully Alex just needs some rest.. We can't beat compete Seattle with DH, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

It was week one and the team believed anything was possible. There’s a big mental thing at play here that I think you may be discounting a little bit. 

I don’t think people want Smith or Allen to be the QB necessarily. It’s more like “well, unless we do something astronomically stupid... these guys and a mid round QB are going to be our options”

I kinda liked what I saw from Allen

I read the Wapo article about Dwayne and I could not believe what the reporter wrote.  He did not prove he would be an ok backup quarterback.  He is what we thought he was.

He needs to go to another team to see if they can develop him.  Another Wapo reporter wrote that he did not have a good second half.   He almost threw the interception that would

have ruined our victory or sent us into overtime.  If they put him in again, they should have him handoff on every play.  When will Kyle Allen be able to come back?

10 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I read the Wapo article about Dwayne and I could not believe what the reporter wrote.  He did not prove he would be an ok backup quarterback.  He is what we thought he was.

He needs to go to another team to see if they can develop him.  Another Wapo reporter wrote that he did not have a good second half.   He almost threw the interception that would

have ruined our victory or sent us into overtime.  If they put him in again, they should have him handoff on every play.  When will Kyle Allen be able to come back?

I don't even know if another team can help him. Once he got "comfortable," he went full-Haskins. As badly as Alex played, I didn't feel like he'd lose the game. Haskins just had me worried to the point I couldn't even watch. He went right back to throwing off-balance, throwing off his back foot, bad decision-making... he had a good first series or two, then said "**** it, I'm Dwayne Haskins" and I really felt like he was gonna' lose the game that the Defense dragged the team into winning.

He deserves an Emmy for feeling like he "arrived" during his post-game presser, though.

3 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I don't even know if another team can help him. Once he got "comfortable," he went full-Haskins. As badly as Alex played, I didn't feel like he'd lose the game. Haskins just had me worried to the point I couldn't even watch. He went right back to throwing off-balance, throwing off his back foot, bad decision-making... he had a good first series or two, then said "**** it, I'm Dwayne Haskins" and I really felt like he was gonna' lose the game that the Defense dragged the team into winning.

He deserves an Emmy for feeling like he "arrived" during his post-game presser, though.

Between that (I just saw it... I'm pretty baffled by his confidence there but give him some credit for believing in himself) and the praying... It's all so over the top. I think that may not be a maturity issue, but he may be an over the top kind of dude. And for some people that works. It doesn't bother them and they understand that kind of personality...

I'm not one of those people. But I can understand why people gravitate towards a guy like that. 

I no longer think he's just an immature kid. The press conference did tell me he understands things better than he used to. He is certainly humbled. I just think he has that over the top personality.

So at the very least he has improved in that regard. 

While I feel like he has shown very little positive football growth, I do think as a person he's growing and that's going to give him a chance. And the guys around him didn't help him... Specifically Sims. That wasn't a great throw but man, you have to help your teammate out there. 

I liked his answer about what he told Chase, though... "What you did in college isn't going to work here". That speaks volumes about his growth as a person. 

I'm just not sure it's going to help him here.

For what its worth, I recommend to all that are dogging Haskins to re-watch the game objectively. You'll see much more positive plays than you think. He went 7/12 (of course one was a drop by S. Sims). Made some good throws and drove the field at a time when we needed points. Its what you look for. He played the entire second half. 

First drive - Heavy run. Haskins went 2/4 but drove the ball descent. Hit his receivers in stride. Looked great. Didn't like the 1st down toss sweep to Payton for a loss in red zone. Especially since we were gauging the defense up the middle on that series. Threw the last pass off his back foot. Probably/maybe could have stepped up and made a better throw.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.01cf814d7b7d0f9af5a070a7f1fa9c43.JPG

Second drive - Haskins went 2/3 (drop by Sims to end the drive). This was the drive with the crazy cute ass play call by Turner. That was my WTF are doing bro? play of the game.

Third drive - Took a sack. Poor block by Logan. But I'm not sure what was available down the field. We'll see with the coach 22 tomorrow if Haskin had someone available and missed it. Drive ended with a completion but no real advance.

Fourth drive - This was the other crazy ass screen play on 2nd and 10. Not sure how this was a logical play based on how the 49ers D was playing, but ok Scott 🤨

The next play is the over throw everybody is up in arms about.

That's it. 4 drives, 3 points, ran the offense and didn't lose the game. My observation is that arm throws and throws off the back foot will be the death of DH's playing time. I know Mahomes does some of the same things. So if DH is going to play the position without consistent fundamentals like Mahomes, then he needs to ball the **** out like Patrick. Period. Command the offense. Gain the confidence of your players. Make them talk glowingly and confidently about you like they do Alex. 

BTW, this is the first time, the cameras has shown DH looking at the surface pro. What do you think? Looked like he had more important things to do. lol

The thing I don't like is when haskins feet dropping back and moving in the pocket looks like a baby gazelle struggling to stand up for the first time. his footwork is so bad sometimes. His first series I thought he looked pretty tight, but it broke down when things got hairy. I'm not sure if he can improve it enough that the muscle memory is there when the heat is on. 

I bet his footwork has more to do with his accuracy than most of us realize. His arm is out of control good though. The zip he can produce is fantastic. 

My take on Haskins is for a big arm dude he's not really accurate outside of throws in the flat and his accruacy is all about in between the numbers when he does have to contort his body to throw.  There are exceptions but that's IMO the overriding pattern with him. 

So he might have that big arm but his accuracy fits much better the dink and dunk profile.  So that's sort of the odd contradiction about him.  I saw the WP say the team is looking for him to do better than just throw a good deep ball.  That wasn't them quoting anyone so I gather that was just speculation on their end.  That's nonsense because Dwayne does not throw a good deep ball.  His niche is the short stuff.   But I get how some would think otherwise since he has a strong arm.   But its not the right narrative IMO on Haskins. 

He also has limits on the short stuff because when he has to turn his body because either he's flushed out of the pocket or is throwing a ball horizontally -- swing pass, hitch, screen, etc his accuracy is sketchy.  He tends to throw behind the receiver.  I watched Colt and Haskins throw in rotation in camp where over a short amount of time you can see both throw about 20 balls or so and then again later on in practice and Jay really stressed swing passes and slants around or past the numbers.  To say the Colt look better would be an understatement.   Haskins really struggled with them.  It made no sense to me at the time because they seem like easy 3-5 yard throws.  But I realize now his issue or so I think his issue is which is if he has to turn his body his accuracy is sketchy especially to the right side of the field. 

Alex doesn't set the world on fire but he doesn't struggle with any type of throws in the flat.  Both Alex and Haskins major in the short stuff.  Alex because it fits his skill set.  Haskins because that's his hot spot accuracy wise.  But Haskins struggles with some key type throws in the flat.  As Cooley said weeks ago they got to stop with swing passes to RBs with Haskins because he struggled with them.  Alex doesn't.  Here's a case in point below.  Alex throws right to the receiver whereas Barber has to make a diving catch behind him to catch Haskins' throw which defeats the purpose when the idea is to set up YAC. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 12.05.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 12.13.21 PM.png

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

Yea I think what you are missing is context. There is a lot more good he does that Haskins doesn't have the savvy to do yet. Football IQ to not take a sac in certain instances. The football IQ to not dick around with taking a knee and almost get your squad into a fight at the end of a game you won. The football IQ to maybe or maybe not take the ball with you forcing the refs to stop the clock. 

The most obvious thing should have been coming back down 14 against the Steelers. Its takes savvy, experience and patience to do that. None of that resides within Haskins. He could have put up similar numbers, but he wouldn't have lead the same way and that makes s difference. Numbers mean so little for a QB. 

Its sad to have to keep saying numbers need context in this argument and the cousins one like its some foreign concept. 

Your just talking out your ass. I watched Smith take back to back sacks with no timeouts. You want me to believe if that was Haskins you wouldn’t have roasted him for “lacking football IQ”.

Haskins comes across so melodramatic, it’s hard to tell what is going on. You would logically think he’d had a mental breakdown and was trying to come back from it. 

He’s a young guy, let’s see how this plays out some more. Tough gig to get brought back for Seattle, but it that happens so be it. It’s probably the game we all need to see what gives. Should be interesting if nothing else, and we still have a great chance with 2 very winnable games after that....

But imagine if he got the W against Seattle. May well be the defining moment for him, one way or the other.

18 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Your just talking out your ass. I watched Smith take back to back sacks with no timeouts. You want me to believe if that was Haskins you wouldn’t have roasted him for “lacking football IQ”.

Edit: cause why not 

*You’re 

Archived