Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The first drive he was in, he looked good.

After that, he was a mess. 

We need a new QB in the off-season. Period the end.

That's what I saw. He came out pretty strong and even that first drive of the second half where he almost got us into field goal range he looked fine. Then, I think he got in his own head again. He probably knew that the only way we lose if he screwed it up and he very nearly screwed it up. That pass that was almost intercepted was such an awful pass.

His strong start his first few series was legit though.

1 minute ago, sjinhan said:

Alex looked like something was off during the game... that leg must have been bothering him much earlier than when he was actually pulled from the game...

I am talking about Smith in all of the games up to this game... In this game, something was just off as Smith was missing some easy throws that he makes all the time.. and missing them badly.

Your right, he was more gimpy (not any injury) on his hurt leg. Couldn't put any pressure on it when making some of his throws which made them sail off. Hope it gets better next week and he can plant that foot better.

Haskins looked fine on the first drive he came in. He threw a good pass in the flat that the RB caught in motion, and the throw to Sims should have been a routine catch on the NFL level.

After that though, he settled back into his bad mechanics and was air-mailing passes.  On that 3rd & 10 it was an easy throw to a wide open WR and he just totally over threw for no reason.

2 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Haskins is the QB that you pray that doesn't lose you the football game instead of winning the game when he's in there.  The same issues over and over again.  That's what's so frustrating.  No progression and probably regression.

That’s literally what he was praying about. Made me cringe.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

I have never been a Haskins fan but man dude seemed like a nervous wreck. I felt bad for him when he was praying on the sideline. He’s not helping himself or the team being on the field. Might be better to call up Montez and have Haskins take a step back. 

I'm not for or against Haskins...but I am human and I felt bad for him on the sideline as well.  He seems like a great kid, has some very raw talent, but was thrown way too soon into an nfl offense and has far too high expectations set for him given his first round draft status.  He should have never been drafted that high, and should have been a mid rounder project...yet another player not getting a fair shake and paying for the sins of Brucifer.

Having said that, if Alex can't go, and he's what we got, I'll pull like mad for him to win.  Maybe with first team reps and after having watched Alex the last few weeks he improves.

..eh...I've probably been drinking too much again.

Yep. Kid is just bad. He should have fallen to somewhere after the 4th/5th round, and have been viewed as a pure developmental prospect. He just hasn't shown anything. I hope he's playing elsewhere next season, because I really don't see a reason to keep him around.

It's a shame. He can really zip some of those throws. Like Michael Vick arm strength level. He just doesn't know how to play qb. The game is way too fast for him. If Smith isn't healthy next week, why not go with Steven Montez. He has a heck of an arm and can scramble. I know he wasn't a first round pick from OSU. But he can't be worse. It's impossible. 

1 minute ago, Daniel.redskins said:

It's a shame. He can really zip some of those throws. Like Michael Vick arm strength level. He just doesn't know how to play qb. The game is way too fast for him. If Smith isn't healthy next week, why not go with Steven Montez. He has a heck of an arm and can scramble. I know he wasn't a first round pick from OSU. But he can't be worse. It's impossible. 

Let us go back to 2018 and remember we fielded butt fumble at QB.  It can get worse.

Yeah Haskins basically looked like the exact same guy he's always been. Will make a nice throw every once in a while, has good physical tools, but is wildly inconsistent and doesn't seemed to have improved his fundamentals at all. Had an ok first drive, but then things went pear shaped. Once again, bunch of throws where he threw with a poor base and didn't set his feet and the ball got away from him. He's VERY lucky that that one INT was called back. That could have potentially cost us the ball game if they'd scored and gotten a 2 point conversion.

I'd be somewhat surprised if DH is on the team next year, but then again I doubt we'd get much of anything for him in a trade so maybe they'll keep him around as a 3rd QB. I hope Alex is alright and while I admire the hell out of the guy, he's not taking us to the Super Bowl. 

Judging by Haskins press conference he might have been sufficiently humbled from the benching.  He sure came across that way.  That's good.  But I've not been in the camp that Haskins is a franchise QB but just needs an attitude adjustment.  I don't believe he's a franchise talent.  I could be wrong.  And I hope to be wrong.  But I remain to have serious doubts about Haskins.

I wonder a little about Montez.  I know in a playoff run its risky to play someone with zero experience but i am slightly more intrigued at this point with Montez (who also has a strong arm) because of his mobility and athleticism.   

Hopefully Alex can play to finish the season.    But if not I don't trust Haskins fully.  Though obviously I hope he'd surprise me.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878087-ranking-the-top-quarterback-prospects-after-the-2020-nfl-scouting-combine#:~:text=One quarterback who tested surprisingly,broad jump%2C according to MockDraftable.

One quarterback who tested surprisingly well is Colorado's Steven Montez. Measuring in at 6'4", 231 pounds, Montez ran a 4.68 40-yard dash, which was the third-fastest time among his positional group. He also crushed the explosion drills, testing in the 83rd percentile in the broad jump, according to MockDraftable.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/02/steven-montez-nfl-draft-stock-cu-buffs/

Two things (are strengths): My knowledge of the game and my arm strength,” Montez said at the NFL Combine.  “I think I have the biggest arm in the draft, point blank, period.”

Montez, CU’s all-time leader in career touchdown passes (63), went through on-field workouts last Thursday. He ran well in the 40-yard dash — his time of 4.68 seconds was tied for third-fastest among 13 participants. He is projected as a Day 3 draft pick (rounds 4-7).

Montez “absolutely” believes he’ll make a 53-man roster this year.

“My combination of athleticism, arm strength, accuracy and knowledge of the game — I mean, you put all those things together and (how) can you not be on an NFL roster?” he said.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Judging by Haskins press conference he might have been sufficiently humbled from the benching.  He sure came across that way.  That's good.  But I've not been in the camp that Haskins is a franchise QB but just needs an attitude adjustment.  I don't believe he's a franchise talent.  I could be wrong.  And I hope to be wrong.  But I remain to have serious doubts about Haskins.

I wonder a little about Montez.  I know in a playoff run its risky to play someone with zero experience but i am slightly more intrigued at this point with Montez (who also has a strong arm) because of his mobility and athleticism.   

Hopefully Alex can play to finish the season.    But if not I don't trust Haskins fully.  Though obviously I hope he'd surprise me.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878087-ranking-the-top-quarterback-prospects-after-the-2020-nfl-scouting-combine#:~:text=One quarterback who tested surprisingly,broad jump%2C according to MockDraftable.

One quarterback who tested surprisingly well is Colorado's Steven Montez. Measuring in at 6'4", 231 pounds, Montez ran a 4.68 40-yard dash, which was the third-fastest time among his positional group. He also crushed the explosion drills, testing in the 83rd percentile in the broad jump, according to MockDraftable.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/02/steven-montez-nfl-draft-stock-cu-buffs/

Two things (are strengths): My knowledge of the game and my arm strength,” Montez said at the NFL Combine.  “I think I have the biggest arm in the draft, point blank, period.”

Montez, CU’s all-time leader in career touchdown passes (63), went through on-field workouts last Thursday. He ran well in the 40-yard dash — his time of 4.68 seconds was tied for third-fastest among 13 participants. He is projected as a Day 3 draft pick (rounds 4-7).

Montez “absolutely” believes he’ll make a 53-man roster this year.

“My combination of athleticism, arm strength, accuracy and knowledge of the game — I mean, you put all those things together and (how) can you not be on an NFL roster?” he said.

Better option than Haskins.  We know that.  Haskins has been given chances.  Let's see what RR does but I'd like to see Montez

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I was hopeful and optimistic that Haskins would look improved today, after the time he's had to work on and correct some things.

But I actually thought he looked worse today than he did before

He was praying on the sideline at one point.  Kids had his confidence roughed up pretty hard.  Think he was nothing but second guessing and fell back into just the raw arm talent he has and little else (I call it living on "the sling" and a prayer).  If he's gonna do anything he has to silence his demons and summon his focus at will.  Learn to apply what he's been taught.

Full disclosure: when I was 23 I sure as hell couldn't do that in any area of life...much less as the QB of a NFL team.  So its hypocritical of me to say that now.

Even fuller disclosure: I'm quite a few beers under and really have no idea what I'm talking about.

It baffles me. Alex has not looked particularly great all year. He’s not even really protecting the ball. He is completing the least yards per pass in years for a starting qb. If you guard the flat he is almost completely countered. We are winning due to great 2nd half game plans and incredible runs from Mclaurin/Cam. Credit certainly is due for what Turner has done coming out of the half. 

But the offense looked much better tonight with Haskins the first few drives til sims dropped a pass. After that we were running out the clock. He had a high pass over the middle. There is room for improvement. 

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I expect Smith to struggle with the calf for the rest of his playing career.

I expect Dwayne to struggle with reading defenses for the same.

Honestly, I’m ready to take a look at Kaep.  Just as a short term remedy...and perhaps more.

I need a scrambler.

Yep...good call

Archived