Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Hurts looked way better than Haskins ever has in that 1 game vs the Saints elite defense. His feet were constantly bouncing up and down, he was going through progressions quickly, you can tell he has the timer in his head that Haskins doesn't have. He has a much better feel for the game than Haskins, I actually thought Haskins had this based on the NFC East games at the end of last year, but he's regressed big time. 

I think it is safe to say Haskins won’t be our starting QB in 2021 :ols: I have no idea if Rivera will want to invest the upcoming offseason developing Haskins, part of me hopes he does, I don’t see an issue him being in the QB group through camp etc.

His contract is fully guaranteed. Maybe someone throws a day 3 pick our way. Doubtful.

Fact remains, he looks a million miles away from being starter material.

It's a shame about Haskins. I really like him and he was thrust into an unfavorable situation against a good defense.

First thing is he needs his confidence back and the only way for him to regain it is by winning games. I think some time in the CFL could do wonders for his professional development and ego, because outside of maybe a couple NFL franchises, there are not a lot of prestine QB programs with the time, luxury, or the capacity to properly nourish his young talent. Simply languishing on the bench behind a bona-fide starter for a few years will not be enough to salvage his confidence -- he needs to play, just not on the NFL level right now.

Haskins looked good in that first drive or two... then went full Haskins after that. All he had to do was not lose the game, then came pretty damn close to doing so... throwing off the back foot, terrible accuracy, leaping when throwing... he’s done, but he did have an Oscar-worthy performance in his presser.

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Haskins doesn't have to be great. All he has to do is what Alex Smith did which lets be honest wasn't much more than like rank 20 in the league QB play. Its not asking for a lot.

If Haskins could play like Smith he wouldn't have been benched. It's asking a lot for him to step up to that level.  

9 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Didn’t they just sign Taylor Heinicke? He played a few games for Ron in Carolina. I’d think he’d be the backup if Smith can’t play 

Yup, he's the practice squad quarantine QB in case of a COVID outbreak in the QB room!

The main plot line that hit me watching that game is wow imagine if we had a QB?  Alex is a nice story and has done relatively well but he's clearly not the future and struggled yesterday.  Haskins IMO doesn't have it.  I think he ultimately can be maybe a low end starter or backup but I don't think he's the future franchise QB.

If this team had a decent QB, I think it would be a SB threat after one strong off season.  After watching yesterday,  I am more inclined then previously to trade assets to move up in the draft and or acquire a veteran if a good situation presents itself. 

So I'm not wanting to springboard into the future but one cant help but be curious to what our qb situation will look like next year. Obviously if a smith finishes off the season real strong I'd think he would be the starter for next year..but he's not our future ....and haskins looking like a bust. I about **** when he came in for a smith..I didn't watch the game but watched the ticker on nfl.com and seen haskins taking a knee before half and chuckled thinking they brought him in just to run the clock out before half?!..turned out it was to replace smith...boy howdy I was nervous. 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The main plot line that hit me watching that game is wow imagine if we had a QB?  Alex is a nice story and has done relatively well but he's clearly not the future and struggled yesterday.  Haskins IMO doesn't have it.  I think he ultimately can be maybe a low end starter or backup but I don't think he's the future franchise QB.

If this team had a decent QB, I think it would be a SB threat after one strong off season.  After watching yesterday,  I am more inclined then previously to trade assets to move up in the draft and or acquire a veteran if a good situation presents itself. 

I don't think Haskins is in the league in two years.  Guy just doesn't have it.  He starts out really well (throwing to the backs in stride!), then just becomes unglued.  He panicked big time and reverted to his bad mechanics.  There are potentially 6 QBs (not counting the raw guys like the Cinci QB) in Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance, Jones, and Trask coming in this draft alone.  Teams aren't going to wait on him when he hasn't shown much sans a couple of games last year against bad defensive teams in Philly and NYG.

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

I don't think Haskins is in the league in two years.  Guy just doesn't have it.  He starts out really well (throwing to the backs in stride!), then just becomes unglued.  He panicked big time and reverted to his bad mechanics.  There are potentially 6 QBs (not counting the raw guys like the Cinci QB) in Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance, Jones, and Trask coming in this draft alone.  Teams aren't going to wait on him when he hasn't shown much sans a couple of games last year against bad defensive teams in Philly and NYG.

Yep I am aware of this draft and its a good point, some of those QBs you mention i am higher on than others.  But lets take one I am not that high on which is Trask.  I'd probably still roll the dice on Trask over Haskins.

I do think Haskins can survive in this league though over 2 years.  Will see,  i am sort of hardcore on the dude isn't franchise material.  but I do think he can ultimately become a marginal starter type maybe like Keenum-Colt, etc.  I don't think he's good but I also think you can set up a game plan to play off of his sweet spot (inside the numbers 5-10 yards in the middle of the field).  I think the dude is limited and won't ever be a top level QB.  But it wouldn't shock me if he bounces around the league ala Jason Campbell, etc. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep I am aware of this draft and its a good point, some of those QBs you mention i am higher on than others.  But lets take one I am not that high on which is Trask.  I'd probably still roll the dice on Trask over Haskins.

I do think Haskins can survive in this league though over 2 years.  Will see,  i am sort of hardcore on the dude isn't franchise material.  but I do think he can ultimately become a marginal starter type maybe like Keenum-Colt, etc.  I don't think he's good but I also think you can set up a game plan to play off of his sweet spot (inside the numbers 5-10 yards in the middle of the field).  I think the dude is limited and won't ever be a top level QB.  But it wouldn't shock me if he bounces around the league ala Jason Campbell, etc. 

Yeah, but JC never had any baggage (not prepping properly).  JC also won some games and was never a disaster.  He just had a slow windup.  He was actually pretty solid with the Raiders before his injury.  JC is lightyears better than Haskins.  Rivera and JDR are well-connected.  Ditto Jay, Callahan, and to a lesser extent, KOC.  

Colt and Keenum are grinders.  Keenum has been with so many teams that its actually a benefit because he can learn an offense fairly quickly.  Colt is well-liked because he's a grinder and can execute a gameplan.

15 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I am convinced that Haskins isn't the answer, but it amazes me at how he's judged more strongly coming off the bench cold than the savvy-veteran-who-does-nothing-but-win guy who had a dismal completion percentage and a turnover.  

I think a big reason is that Alex is a big reason (in pairing with the defensive line being animals) that this team is turning the corner. Once Haskins went to the bench initially, the team started playing much better football. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

Having said that, Smith is prone to some absolute stinkers. He does that. He is a winner, yes, that doesn’t change. But he has rough games at times. It’s always kind of been his thing. 

Haskins came in, cold, yes...

But he looked identical to when he came in as the starter. 

That’s why he’s being judged more harshly. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Haskins came in, cold, yes...

But he looked identical to when he came in as the starter. 

That’s why he’s being judged more harshly. 

Haskins looked like garbage.  But do you honestly think he couldn't put these numbers up (or better) over a 5 game stretch?

113/171 - 66% 

1058 Yards

3TD / 3 INT

11 Sacks

6.19 AY/A

Those are very pedestrian numbers.  

8 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Haskins looked like garbage.  But do you honestly think he couldn't put these numbers up (or better) over a 5 game stretch?

113/171 - 66% 

1058 Yards

3TD / 3 INT

11 Sacks

6.19 AY/A

Ive had this convo more times than I care to admit but numbers don’t tell the whole story with QBs. 

Im convinced Denver doesn’t win the Super Bowl a few years back without Manning despite how poorly he played.

7 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I am convinced that Haskins isn't the answer, but it amazes me at how he's judged more strongly coming off the bench cold than the savvy-veteran-who-does-nothing-but-win guy who had a dismal completion percentage and a turnover.  

plus you know, we pretty quickly showed we had no faith in him so the 49ers could focus on the run and then put on heavy pressure on third and longs rather than third and reasonable

11 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

113/171 - 66% 

1058 Yards

3TD / 3 INT

11 Sacks

6.19 AY/A

Yea I think what you are missing is context. There is a lot more good he does that Haskins doesn't have the savvy to do yet. Football IQ to not take a sac in certain instances. The football IQ to not dick around with taking a knee and almost get your squad into a fight at the end of a game you won. The football IQ to maybe or maybe not take the ball with you forcing the refs to stop the clock. 

The most obvious thing should have been coming back down 14 against the Steelers. Its takes savvy, experience and patience to do that. None of that resides within Haskins. He could have put up similar numbers, but he wouldn't have lead the same way and that makes s difference. Numbers mean so little for a QB. 

Its sad to have to keep saying numbers need context in this argument and the cousins one like its some foreign concept. 

Archived