Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

Why on Earth would you not want the front office to be in control of football operations?  To me this is just more evidence that a neutered and weak FO is not going to work for us.  It's been failing Snyder's entire tenure of ownership.

Haskins is a lingering symptom of the previous regime. Rivera and Smith should not be judged on previous franchise failures. 

Let them do that all on their own.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya know what, call me cynical, but ask the Vikings how they like Cousins right now.

What's the threshold for development? Busting on a major contract after earning one?

When is last time we drafted a QB who ended up being top 10 in league? Sammy Baugh?

We haven't done it this century, we never a superbowl doing that? Should we jus give up and try to sign ARod when he's avaliable?

Drafting oline with first pick sounds like a damn good idea instead destroying the next one.

I'm not convinced this is end of Haskins, but we need a break from new toy QBs, we flat out can't do it, 88 years thats jus not who we are.

Joe Theismann was an MVP.

As for the bar for us developing QBs? I would say "not sucking hot ass through a straw" is a pretty good developmental goal for us, I know, that's asking a lot.

Maybe Haskins just sucks and isn't going to get better. Also, is he holding other's development/evaluation back?

7 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I would argue the opposite. This shows Rivera - and not the front office - has control of football operations and that performance on the field is what will drive decisions. 

And I’ve been critical of Rivera this season, especially regarding his choice to give up at the end of games. 

Unless the front office agrees with the assessment of the performance on the field.  We can't assume that there's not a consensus.

6 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

The one hope I had for Haskins was that he must have aced his interviews in the draft process to be so high up on draft boards given his poor tape. Becoming pretty clear he's got a poor attitude too though. If that's true then you can cap his ceiling from low level starter to out of the league pretty quick.

An absolute disaster of a pick at #13. One that's put the organisation back years and not surprisingly a Snyder one. Even Gruden clearly didn't want Haskins. Never made sense. 

I always thought it was weird how someone could have “poor” tape after throwing for 5k yards and 50 touchdowns in college. I guess it just doesn’t click for some players going to the NFL 

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Why on Earth would you not want the front office to be in control of football operations?  To me this is just more evidence that a neutered and weak FO is not going to work for us.  It's been failing Snyder's entire tenure of ownership.

By front office I meant Daniel Snyder. Which in and of itself reflects on the disfunction of this organization over the last 20 plus years. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Haskins is a lingering symptom of the previous regime. Rivera and Smith should not be judged on previous franchise failures. 

Two things here: This bears repeating: This was an Allen--Snyder pick. All reports say Gruden and Smith did not want him. Scouts have said he was not a 1st round pick. So, maybe he is what he is.

Also: This is Ron's team. Remember what Gruden had to endure to finally bench RGIII? 

5 minutes ago, Bunny Kelly said:

For whatever faults Ron has, everyone who played under him said he had the players back & they respected him, something happened in last couple of weeks for him to turn sour on Haskins because in general he seems largely loyal & genuine

I second this. Ron has always been a players coach and a guy that will believe in you if you show to be worth it. 

For this to happen in just 4 games, obviously, the kid didnt show to be worth it. Remember ron doesn't have the entire history with him that we do. Yea he looked at the tape, but he want here. He is coming in fresh unlike all of us. 

Just now, max21 said:

I always thought it was weird how someone could have “poor” tape after throwing for 5k yards and 50 touchdowns in college. I guess it just doesn’t click for some players going to the NFL 

The team he was on definitely helped when it came to the numbers. His mechanics constantly fell apart when he was put under any interior pressure, he couldn't get out of the pocket well, he got way too much air on a lot of his deep throws, he was extremely hesitant to throw into windows. There was a tonne of red flags. I put up the videos of his flaws on this thread the week we drafted him and got slated for it. Everyone thought he was the second coming of Big Ben even though he has zero traits of Big Ben bar body type. 

I think Haskins has been terrible this year.

Slow, awful footwork, inaccurate, poor decision making. Looks like a lazy player who hasn't adapted to the pros.

Herbert and Burrow look miles better already. 

Where is Haskins huge arm that was talked about?

All that aside I still can't understand benching him now, and like this. 

Let him play at least 16 games, if he's still

stinking it up, move on.

this team is a million miles from challenging in there post season so Haskins must've really burnt all his bridges.

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I second this. Ron has always been a players coach and a guy that will believe in you if you show to be worth it. 

For this to happen in just 4 games, obviously, the kid didnt show to be worth it. Remember ron doesn't have the entire history with him that we do. Yea he looked at the tape, but he want here. He is coming in fresh unlike all of us. 

He leaves Troy Akpe in & benches Haskins, this isn't just about what we see on Sundays!!

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Joe Theismann was an MVP.

Cheating, he was drafted by Miami, played in Canada, then we traded for his rights, right? : )

As for the bar for us developing QBs? I would say "not sucking hot ass through a straw" is a pretty good developmental goal for us, I know, that's asking a lot.

That begs the question, Cousins meets that threshold, but would we be pulling our hair out right now if we gave him the contract Vikings did?  He's not top 10, but not useless, but also not worth that franchise crippling $$$$, damned if you do, damned if you dont?

Maybe Haskins just sucks and isn't going to get better. Also, is he holding other's development/evaluation back?

He is holding folks back, but this could be a lesson and where he belonged all along to sit behind vets until he is ready.  We have some time to pick up his option, no need to run him out of town yet.

We will see what the story is but showing up to work pouting like a baby about the possibility of being benched gets you benched with Ron. Particularly after your agent throws him and your teammates under the bus on your behalf.

Ron is the man. We have a legitimate coach.

I wonder if Alex gets the backup role this week and they don’t dress Haskins. I’m a sure we will hear from Haskins through some passive aggressive nonsense trying to get released or traded any moment now.

22 minutes ago, Panninho said:

If he couldn't deliver against us bums what can we expect here going forward?

A QB who doesn't throw a check down on 4th and goal?

Look I don't think Allen is the answer either. But he has to be better than Dwayne Haskins. That ship has sailed and there is a good chance that Dwayne will be out of the league in 2 years.  

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I wonder if Alex gets the backup role this week and they don’t dress Haskins. I’m a sure we will hear from Haskins through some passive aggressive nonsense trying to get released or traded any moment now.

Confirmed - Haskins will be in street clothes.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Snider summing it up well were IMO.  I wrote tomes about why i'd love to have a real GM with a pedigree.  But at the same time, Kyle Smith was head of college drafting.  And he had scouts in that building.  Jay had his faults but according to some was a good evaluator. You ride with their opinion -- you don't have the owner override them.  How many times does Dan have to screw up the QB position with his takes before he realizes he doesn't know what the heck he's doing.  But regardless, the owner shouldn't be making these type of draft picks.   Dallas according to some has been able to get Jerry to back off.  Hopefully this is the kicker to get Dan to back off. 

It's been a common theme ever since Snyder has been the owner.  Started in 1999 when they had Brad Johnson and brought in Jeff Jorge, then with Griffin, and now with Haskins.  Until Snyder learns to back off, the cycle will continue.

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They need a full time GM who is head of football operations and has final say on coaching and player personnel.  We don't have that.  And I'm not convinced Kyle Smith is good enough or experienced enough to have the job.

Ron might not be convinced either which may be why he hasn't given him the title yet.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Cheating, he was drafted by Miami, played in Canada, then we traded for his rights, right? : )

Well, we kind of developed him? It counts. We've never had more than a one-year-wonder at QB, since Theismann.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That begs the question, Cousins meets that threshold, but would we be pulling our hair out right now if we gave him the contract Vikings did?  He's not top 10, but not useless, but also not worth that franchise crippling $$$$, damned if you do, damned if you dont?

This is also on Allen's general idiocy as well--I think Cousins was asking for about $19 per in 2015 or so. Then turns around and makes that asinine Smith trade, and hands him MORE money for an older, less effective QB. As @KDawg stated above--Haskins is a remnant of that regime. Ron wants his guy--Dwayne ain't it.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He is holding folks back, but this could be a lesson and where he belonged all along to sit behind vets until he is ready.  We have some time to pick up his option, no need to run him out of town yet.

I saw this from John Keim: Ron does not make irrational, emotional decisions. And Haskins isn't just demoted--he's inactive. He's 3rd string. I think he's seen enough--and I think this has to do with his practice habits as much as game performance. Is he taking coaching? Is he doing anything better in practice?

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I have.  This offseason was a failure.  Their development of Haskins was a failure.  The team is somehow less competitive now than it was last season.  The front office situation is even more muddy, and it's not clear to me that our plan is more coherent now than it was in any of the beginnings of the previous regimes that failed.

What exactly is giving you all hope that we've turned the corner here?

37 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I can't wait to listen to the callers on the Brian Mitchell show. Every one seems to back the belief that Dwayne got a raw deal, that he is deserving of more time to show that he is a crappy NFL QB. These are the same callers who said the same about RGIII despite overwhelming evidence.  It will be must hear radio.

And with RG3 at least he showed flashes. Haskins can’t even do the essentials.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I have.  This offseason was a failure.  Their development of Haskins was a failure.  The team is somehow less competitive now than it was last season.  The front office situation is even more muddy, and it's not clear to me that our plan is more coherent now than it was in any of the beginnings of the previous regimes that failed.

What exactly is giving you all hope that we've turned the corner here?

That we are moving on from mistakes that the previous regime made for this one. Haskins wasn’t selected by this one. Smith, our remnant in the FO, didn’t want him to begin with. And Haskins play and agent and maturity has dropped him out of favor.

I am encouraged by this development. But I wasn’t invested in Haskins as a prospect at all. 

Archived