Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, Alexa said:

Snyder was responsible for George, Ramsey, McNabb, RG3 and Haskins.  smh

According to some, tried to trade up for Sanchez, fell hard for Brady Quinn and had to be talked out of it by their scouts.

Dan has the riverse Midas touch with QBs.  You got me why he feels this is the spot where he should impose his "expertise". 

Was drafting Haskins a microcosm of the Redskins' issues?

The quest for a franchise quarterback wasn't new heading into the 2019 NFL draft. During Snyder's tenure, the Redskins have started 21 quarterbacks, including four first-round picks (Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell, Robert Griffin III and Haskins).

As for the Redskins' current starter, long before the draft there was a sense they would take Haskins with the No. 15 pick -- no matter how their board stacked up. Snyder had dropped Haskins' name throughout the year, telling people he was the best player in the country. Like Snyder, Allen liked the Heisman Trophy finalist who threw 50 touchdown passes and eight interceptions in 2018 at Ohio State.

...At the time of the NFL draft last April, multiple sources said it became a foregone conclusion Snyder and Allen wanted Haskins. Snyder sat in on the interview with the Buckeyes QB at the scouting combine. As one staffer said, "There was no point arguing with the owner and the president."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28276910/what-went-wrong-redskins-president-bruce-allen-next

1 minute ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I highly doubt Newton would have wanted to play here...

He had zero calls for months. He would have have easily signed with Ron. The issue was Ron had to do the Kabuki dance and pretend he gave Haskins a shot before he could move on. Now that’s over. He has free reign. 

20 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

You cannot have 16 games to solely develop one player.  There are other guys on offense.  I have no doubt there were murmurs in the locker room over this and that's why Ron acted.  

Inman is having his best year in the league. Terry is still putting up numbers. Who are the superstars on offense Haskins was holding back?

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

Inman is having his best year in the league. Terry is still putting up numbers. Who are the superstars on offense Haskins was holding back?

The offensive line.  Other receivers.  We have no idea what is going on in practices.  

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree but when you boss wants you to play out the script on a player, then what choice do you have?  You have to run that script before the boss will sign off on any serious Plan B.  By serious I'd mean biggish money in FA or a high draft pick. 

Rivera is the boss here.  I should think, if nothing else, that much is clear.  If he'd wanted someone else this offseason, he would have had him.  I don't think we've had a more empowered HC than Rivera since George Allen.

We've pretty much got three conclusions to draw here: 1.) Kyle Allen is the plan.  2.) Alex Smith is the plan.  or 3.) We don't have a plan.  None of those situations give me any confidence in the competence of the people running the team.

In the case of Kyle Smith, if you're right that he didn't want Haskins, then I want to know what the **** he thought we should do at QB that offseason before I put any stock in his competence.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

The offensive line.  Other receivers.  We have no idea what is going on in practices.  

The OL has their own accountability to hold in our offensive struggles. We use quick passes as our run game, because they can't run block. The other receivers are no names. We don't know what is happening at practice though. Maybe that's it. Seems like another dysfunctional move to me. 

Just now, wilco_holland said:

Based on Donaldson her tweet...maybe Smith is the plan. For Ron it would be pretty big to win a division title with this team and play 1 playoffs came. Will help the young guys grow a lot. 

Then you sign Cam in the off season. Bellichick not paying franchise QB rates to anyone including Brady.

Its not whether Haskins was given enough time develop... the problem is that Haskins never should have been a 1st rd pick. He was rated as 2nd rounder at best... and even Drew Luck went in the 2nd... and appears to be a much better QB. When you're picked in the top 15 picks there are expectations that you are the franchise QB, and you have to show it right away.. not sit on the bench for 3 years "developing". Looks like Baffoon Dan has screwed the team and fan base once again .. (as predicted)

1 minute ago, Bunny Kelly said:

Kyle Allen struggles allowing Alex Smith to step in in time for Giants game, perfect timing to go on a run & win the division

We aren't winning the division.  There were zero lead changes when Smith was the starter here in 2018...and he had Adrian Peterson bailing him out.  This team would be 1-3 if he had started this year.

1 minute ago, oraphus said:

When you're picked in the top 15 picks there are expectations that you are the franchise QB, and you have to show it right away.. not sit on the bench for 3 years "developing".

And that expectation (from who by the way? Fans? Media? Coaches?)  Is what dooms NFL teams who don't luck into a QB o a wash, rinse, repeat cycle of drafting and hoping for a win against the odds. It's like those sad people sitting feeding the slot machines in Vegas at 8am.

Archived