Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

I think we got lucky Cam went to the Patriots. He is in all likelihood going to be available. He will be 32 next year. You can get 3 good years out of him maybe more. I think that’s the lowest risk highest reward move going forward for the time being. We have plenty of cap. We are instantly NFC East favorites with a healthy Cam Newton.

Just now, MartinC said:

Which would beg the question that if this switch is being made to 'win the division' whey is he not starting?

Because he's never realistically going to be the same player and he won't know the system as well as Allen. 

You've got to make a call on whether a (maybe) 80% Alex Smith who isn't familiar with the system is better than Kyle Allen who knows the system inside and out. Allen is probably the smart move for now to give Smith more reps in practice first. 

The two biggest examples we have of "recent" similar situations are:

Gruden making the RG3 to Cousins swap  and Gibbs making the Ramsey to Brunell swap.  Both moves at the time caused an uproar and split the fanbase.  In hindsight both moves were the right ones, yeah?  

I suppose we will have to just let this play out and see where it goes.

I totally get the narrative that Washington is a dumpster fire not known for developing QBs.  That's true.  I get the narrative that we haven't been built for success as for structure.  That's true.  I get that Dwayne was unlucky in that we overdrafted him here to a lame duck head coach who had to win now as a result of Dan being in love with him.  That's true.

All that said, Dwayne has exhibited very little to lead one to believe that he's worthy of developing.  So the woe is Dwayne narrative from folks trying to compare him to other guys who were 'lucky' to be drafted by other teams that want to develop them rings hollow for me.  Going from captain to inactive in a month, tells me there is a lot more we don't know and it can't possibly be good for Dwayne.  The red flags have been there in regards to his maturity since the day we drafted him.  Nothing too egregious, but plenty of things you don't want to see from your #15 draft pick.

It's pretty obvious who is wearing the pants in the organization right now and that's Ron Rivera.  A man who I've yet to see anyone that previously played for or coached with or against him have anything bad to say about him.  If he's ready to go from naming him captain to putting him in street clothes in 4 weeks, there is a real problem and it's not Ron.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Gruden making the RG3 to Cousins swap  and Gibbs making the Ramsey to Brunell swap.  Both moves at the time caused an uproar and split the fanbase.  In hindsight both moves were the right ones, yeah?  

But what we don't knw is if given a good coach and system and some stability, whether Gibbs or Gruden could have developed either of these guys. I keep turning to Smith as an example but we saw with Smith a story where Nolan, Singletary and Tomsula tried to bench him but he kept getting better and kept coming in and playing better than the guy they replaced him with until he finally put it all together. 

23 minutes ago, MartinC said:

And that expectation (from who by the way? Fans? Media? Coaches?)  Is what dooms NFL teams who don't luck into a QB o a wash, rinse, repeat cycle of drafting and hoping for a win against the odds. It's like those sad people sitting feeding the slot machines in Vegas at 8am.

Expectations from everyone... (team, coaches, fans(who pay the bills by the way) and players... In todays nfl as a 1st rd pick you're expected to come in and contribute right away. True talent at QB is apparent right away.. how many QBs in the last 10y failed with the team they drafted and then went on and succeeded somewhere else?  Tannerhill.. thats it, and even he showed much better handle of the game than Haskins. Maybe 3y down the line Haskins can show something.. its not like the team is dumping him, hell he might still start this season at some point.

Not saying the team has done him any favors with a crap Oline and few O weapons.. but he still needed to show more.

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I was a Bruce defender because I didn't believe the 'sources'. I didn't take Shanny as a credible source nor the WP so a lot of the leaks that came out were things that I would dismiss. And I'd then say judge him by his picks and for the most part I liked them (especially after Shanny left). Now years down the line I'm not as big on some of those drafts but I wanted to see the players get a chance on the field as opposed to just dismissed for whatever reason. 

So fast forward to Ron and I'm not so negative on him until he starts dismissing Haskins. 

You were very patient with Bruce and gave him the benefit of the doubt and got annoyed in these debates with some (you were polite about it though) who were impatient with him and didn't give him the benefit of the doubt.  And that went on for years.  

Ron on the other hand has been here less than a year.  Why go negative on Rivera for dismissing Haskins or any player?   No one is above the team.  I got a massive man crush on certain players but if they had a reason to cut bait or bench him or whatever, I'd go for that ride.   I loved Guice, Rivera cut him quickly, i didn't complain.  I figure Rivera knows a lot more about Guice's character than I do. i wasn't wild on them releasing Peterson but I also said on that i'll judge it by how it ends albeit here are my concerns now.   But I didn't blast Rivera for the decision. 

Eventually, my trust for Rivera might wane if they struggled for years and his decisions backfired.  But I am not doing it from the jump. 

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't think of this.  I am not sure I agree with Paulsen's take that it means Rivera might not see him as a starter but at a mimimum it shows that Rivera unlikely sees Haskins as a likely borderline stud who just needs some time.  Or at least he might not feel that way at this point in time. 

https://www.radio.com/thefandc/sports/washington-football-team/did-ron-rivera-tip-his-hand-on-dwayne-haskins

106.7 The Fan's Grant Paulsen points to one particular post-game comment Rivera made — after Washington's 31-17 loss to Baltimore — as a potential slip of the tongue, of the Freudian variety, as proof that Rivera could have a much lower bar for Haskins than previously believed.

The remark in question came as Rivera was addressing that failed fourth-and-long he said was a test for his young quarterback. With three receivers floating around the goal line, Haskins completed a five-yard dump off to Isaiah Wright at the 9-yard line.

"The ball's gotta go into the end zone or it's got to be put in position where it can get into the end zone," Rivera said Sunday. "It's something that he's gotta learn. If he's gonna be a starter in this league and contribute to winning football games, he has to understand and develop. This is part of it. This is part of the growth."

"Don't you think that's pretty telling about what Rivera thinks of Dwayne Haskins?" Paulsen said.

"In addition to testing him with this fourth down play, where he kind of outs him for not having passed the test," Paulsen went on to say, "he says 'if he's going to be a starter in this league.' He just admitted to you... Ron Rivera's not convinced Dwayne Haskins is a starter. Forget the ceiling, the upside... Do you draft a quarterback? Do you do this?"

In retrospect this overlooked post from yesterday seems right on point. Rivera never saw Haskins as a legitimate NFL starter let alone a difference maker.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Without having read the thread except for this last page, I wonder if the agent's tweet played any role in this along with his play?....

We won’t know for sure unless we get a leak but 100% in my opinion. An agent can’t make a peep with the players consent. He’s his attorney and ethically bound in the way he represent his client. I think this was Haskins being told to limit his social media posts, his deleted Instagram post last week being an example, then passive aggressively putting out his view through his agent. Ron is not going to put up with that nonsense.

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

But what we don't knw is if given a good coach and system and some stability, whether Gibbs or Gruden could have developed either of these guys. I keep turning to Smith as an example but we saw with Smith a story where Nolan, Singletary and Tomsula tried to bench him but he kept getting better and kept coming in and playing better than the guy they replaced him with until he finally put it all together. 

I watched Smith play in those early years after being drafted by the Niners. Haskins had never shown anything to this point to show he has the kind of upside that would merit a comparison to rookie Alex Smith.

Add to that his attitude and demeanor have always been questionable, it was a terrible pick.

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

In retrospect this overlooked post from yesterday seems right on point. Rivera never saw Haskins as a legitimate NFL starter let alone a difference maker.

Good pick up.  When he says "if he is going to be starter in the league" hints that if he's not convinced Haskins is a slam dunk starter in the league -- its doubtful they see him as a likely franchise top QB, type

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That might be the weakest excuse I've ever heard.

I think you’re just mad that your guy got benched. That tweet was brutal towards the team and I’m willing to bet his teammates didn’t like it one bit.

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

This, he probably watched tons of tape from last year, and didn't see a starter. Then came in and saw the first 4 games, and was like, no chance I'm wasting my time and first year developing this guy. Ron gave him a chance, Dwayne didn't take it. Can't blame anyone but Dwayne.

Question: Does this move happen if Rivera doesn't believe the offense is capable of being better based on the film?  For me, I think there is a major difference between a young QB developing on a mediocre team and growing with them versus an offense that is capable of making moves but has a QB holding them back.   4 Games in the conclusion I have to assume as of right now is that Rivera is seeing enough in the film sessions that he believes Haskins play specifically is holding the team back.  If that is the case, let's say you are the coach and you feel with better QB play you could be 2-2 or 3-1 even, how long do you let losses pile up before you make this move? 

Archived