Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just now, IrepDC said:

Dysfunctional culture is what you described. Thats not on Haskins. Accountability is harder than repeating this same cycle though.

This is ALSO something a lot of us have said. Haskins got dealt a raw deal for sure. Bad pick due to circumstances and him being a developmental prospect... he got handed a really bad hand. 

But he didn’t help himself out, either. And at some point he has to have some sort of fault for his own play and decisions. But there’s a crew here who seems to believe Haskins is above the team.

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Why am I down on Rivera? He is sending mixed messages. If we're all about win now and not developing players, why didn't we sign a FS like Reid or Thomas instead of playing Apke? Why did we cut Peterson instead of keeping Barber? Why did we not keep Trent? Why did we not keep Reed? Why did we not keep Dunbar? Why did we not keep Flowers? 

I could get behind all these moves because I was all about developing our players. We are a young team and a young team is going to make mistakes. I understood that and I had patience. 

But all of a sudden we are hearing all these 'rumors' going into the Baltimore game. Immediately after Cleveland he's adament that's my QB. Then he's like clock's ticking. Then he wonders why Haskins plays cautious against Baltimore - cautious and still manages to get 300+ yards. Then Rivera comes out and publicly - in a press conference, not in a private meeting, not in a discussion with coaches, but publicly - comes out and says that Haskins failed the test. He doesn't call out JMC for fumbling on the second drive. He doesn't call out special teams for giving up the fake punt. He doesn't call out Collins or Anderson for giving up that long run. No, he singles out one player and benches him as if its all that guy's fault. 

So heck yeah I'm frustrated. At least when Gibbs benched Ramsey it was done with class. Not a bad word was said about Ramsey. At least when Shanny traded Campbell he didn't say bad things about him. But we can't say the same things about how Rivera did Haskins. And that's frustrating. 

You said "So fast forward to Ron and I'm not so negative on him until he starts dismissing Haskins. "

You are blasting this move.  You say he's giving mix messages.  And you are frustrated.  That sounds somewhat down on Rivera.  But if you aren't, cool.  

My take is you trust or you don't.  The mixed messages stuff is in the eye of the beholder.  I don't think there is much of a mixed message.  If he didn't believe in Haskins or see him as the future why is he supposed to ride that horse all the way through.  You can argue he's speeding up the rebuild by checking to see if Kyle has it and if he doesn't they go fishing for a QB in the off season.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If this wasn't so inconsistent with so many of his other moves since becoming HC, I would be a lot more okay with it.  But the real idiocy here is that Rivera doesn't seem to know what he wants - to win now or to rebuild.  This lack of vision is going to severely hurt our franchise moving forward.

Kyle Allen is 24. He’s still developmental. Or is development only the right decision when it’s the guy you like?

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't disagree with all that.  The culture has been trash.  Fans regularly conclude that X coach, X player, etc. is awful pretty early on.

However, 'talent' is a very wide open term.  There were a lot of folks, not just in DC, that didn't seem to think Dwayne was all that talented to begin with.  I don't think we'll be watching a 30 for 30 on Dwayne 15 years from now about how he's the one who got away.

That's what we don't understand. Joe Montana or bust at QB is a part of the dysfunctional culture. It's already been shown Haskins is on track or better than recent QBs that have developed. We aren't patient.

Just now, Leonard Washington said:

The players and assistant coaches probably demanded that the HC try someone else.  I wouldn't be surprised if Haskins also said or did something between Sunday and today that provoked the HC to make a change.

Ron said he is the starter after the game. 100% it was either the agent tweet or some pouting or refusal to accept criticism or coaching that made the change. He’s not even taking reps in individuals while the practice squad QB is. Something definitely went down. Haskins agent or dad will let us know shorty.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

You said "So fast forward to Ron and I'm not so negative on him until he starts dismissing Haskins. "

You are blasting this move.  You say he's giving mix messages.  And you are frustrated.  That sounds somewhat down on Rivera.  But if you aren't, cool.  

My take is you trust or you don't.  The mixed messages stuff is in the eye of the beholder.  I don't think there is much of a mixed message.  If he didn't believe in Haskins or see him as the future why is he supposed to ride that horse all the way through.  You can argue he's speeding up the rebuild by checking to see if Kyle has it and if he doesn't they go fishing for a QB in the off season.

No, go back and listen to Rivera post Cleveland when he says "how else is he going to learn", "we're going to take our lumps with Haskins", and then all the leaks about his job being on the line from Monday through today, with Rivera's statements about the in-game test. That's Rivera throwing his player, his starting QB, under the bus. That's when I changed my opinion on Rivera. 

Maybe he will be a great coach but I don't like the way he did Haskins. It's dirty and it stinks and I think its BS so I'm going to call it BS. 

I was super hopeful for Haskins going into this year, but he has been bad and just gotten worse. I bet he would have had another game to show improvement but he did or said something behind the scenes that made this happen. Maybe not taking accountability, I dont know just speculating. But it feels to me that something happened during the week to sped up the decision.

2 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I think that's the reason he pulled the trigger faster than he would have if the Cowboys were 4-0 and clearly the front runners for the east. But since he feels the division is up for grabs, he's going to play for it. I love it. That's the winning culture I was hoping from him.

This logic:

Imagine being a player in the locker room and understanding your fate to compete in a season depends on what other teams/external factors situations are week to week. 

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

No, go back and listen to Rivera post Cleveland when he says "how else is he going to learn", "we're going to take our lumps with Haskins", and then all the leaks about his job being on the line from Monday through today, with Rivera's statements about the in-game test. That's Rivera throwing his player, his starting QB, under the bus. That's when I changed my opinion on Rivera. 

Maybe he will be a great coach but I don't like the way he did Haskins. It's dirty and it stinks and I think its BS so I'm going to call it BS. 

I wonder why you’re STILL ignoring my question.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is ALSO something a lot of us have said. Haskins got dealt a raw deal for sure. Bad pick due to circumstances and him being a developmental prospect... he got handed a really bad hand. 

But he didn’t help himself out, either. And at some point he has to have some sort of fault for his own play and decisions. But there’s a crew here who seems to believe Haskins is above the team.

Let's keep stacking odds against our 1st round QBs as if overcoming dysfunction in house is going to make them that much better. It hasn't worked yet, failed many times actualy, but the day it does, DYNASTY!

2 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

That's what we don't understand. Joe Montana or bust at QB is a part of the dysfunctional culture. It's already been shown Haskins is on track or better than recent QBs that have developed. We aren't patient.

Organizations do not use yards, tds, and ints as the sole basis of their qb decisions in the 21st century. He's been the worst qb in the league his 11 starts and hasn't shown really any progress this year. To say he's on track to be the next Josh Allen or Drew Brees because they got better is such a stretch. 

Just now, KDawg said:

Kyle Allen is 24. He’s still developmental. Or is development only the right decision when it’s the guy you like?

An UDFA who started three years in college and looked terrible last year in his second season is not the answer.  If you think he is, then you're only fooling yourself.

Just now, IrepDC said:

Let's keep stacking odds against our 1st round QBs as if overcoming dysfunction in house is going to make them that much better. It hasn't worked yet, failed many times actualy, but the day it does, DYNASTY!

This is a problem with him being drafted in the first place. Which means not this regime’s problem.

This regime could fail. Absolutely. But Haskins isn’t on them. This is on Snyder/Allen. And they have to live with the idea that THEY set a young man up for failure.

The frustration here is misplaced. It’s on the wrong man.

7 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Every coach faces the possibility of losing the locker room. And, I'm sorry, the tweet from his agent on Sunday didn't help his cause.

Rivera blatantly contradicting himself should be a bigger concern losing the locker room. His recent speeches all sound like he's blowing hot air now. 

23 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

In retrospect this overlooked post from yesterday seems right on point. Rivera never saw Haskins as a legitimate NFL starter let alone a difference maker.

Then he should have signed Cam Newton.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

An UDFA who started three years in college and looked terrible last year in his second season is not the answer.  If you think he is, then you're only fooling yourself.

He’s young, isn’t he? What has Haskins shown (or not shown) that he hasn’t?  Development is development. You play the guys who are growing or show signs of it. 

Archived