Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

...A former member of the Redskins’ personnel department said Snyder’s involvement with the football operation typically outmatches his football expertise.“He can’t ever get it right because he wants to be involved in it all,” he said. “He wants to have input in everything.”

Several employees said that while Snyder likes to ask questions, he does not always seem receptive to advice. Many relationships with other NFL teams are strained, they say, and he has insulated himself from pushback and dissenting opinions.

“I think there’s a fundamental flaw with who he surrounds himself with,” said one former coach. “Dan’s not very open to receiving negative feedback.”

Shanahan hoped to acquire Marc Bulger, then the St. Louis Rams quarterback, according to two people familiar with the situation, but Snyder pushed hard for the higher profile and more marketable McNabb. The owner cut short a family vacation in the Turks and Caicos Islands to meet his new quarterback.

In 2007, he had his heart set on drafting quarterback Brady Quinn out of Notre Dame. “It took a week or so to convince him that we shouldn’t do that,” one former staffer said. “Then he wanted Teddy Ginn,” an Ohio State wide receiver. Quinn has played for five teams in seven seasons, while Ginn has started just five games in the past four years.

The next season, still in need of a wide receiver, the team targeted Oklahoma’s Malcolm Kelly in the second round, though the medical staff had major health concerns. When they took Michigan State wideout Devin Thomas 34th overall before nabbing Kelly 17 picks later, they passed on Jordy Nelson, whom several others in the football operation preferred, according to someone who was with the team at the time. Hobbled by knee problems for two seasons, Kelly was released in 2011 after posting just 28 receptions. In six seasons with the Green Bay Packers since going 36th overall in the draft, Nelson has 302 catches for 4,590 yards and 36 touchdowns. This season, Nelson had career highs with 85 receptions for 1,314 yards.

“It’s hard to say that anyone can restrain him when he wants to do something,” said one former Snyder employee, who’d worked at Snyder Communications, of the Redskins owner. “You cannot stop impulsive people from doing what they want to do.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/daniel-snyder-washington-redskins-owner-still-struggles-to-find-formula-for-success/2014/01/04/5d86bfa4-74a4-11e3-bc6b-712d770c3715_story.html

26 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Then we should have signed Cam and let Haskins sit and watch. 

I agree, but if Ron rather have Allen, we gonna get chance to see why.  Which is fine, season over anyway, he told us that before it started and no one listened to him.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The one thing you absolutely can not do as a team builder is build without a good plan at QB.  It is the foundation upon which your entire build rests.  Punting on the position year after year until you get something you like is not an option.  The plan pretty much needs to be implemented your first offseason in charge.

Had they signed Newton you’d be saying the same thing. You don’t agree and therefore it’s bad. Most of us have some thoughts like that, so it’s not picking on you for it, I promise. But that seems like that’s what it is for you.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The one thing you absolutely can not do as a team builder is build without a good plan at QB.  It is the foundation upon which your entire build rests.  Punting on the position year after year until you get something you like is not an option.  The plan pretty much needs to be implemented your first offseason in charge.

Agree but when you boss wants you to play out the script on a player, then what choice do you have?  You have to run that script before the boss will sign off on any serious Plan B.  By serious I'd mean biggish money in FA or a high draft pick. 

1 minute ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

It's win now in the NFL or you're out.

Ron did not need to take this job. He would have had other opportunities. 

I cant believe he looked at a 3 win mess and the roster he was walking into and said that his plan was to compete to win the division in 2020. I have to believe he sold a plan of developing a championship contender over a couple of years - I damn well know thats hat I would have done in his situation. And then ownership is judging me against delivering in that plan. It's a 3 year project at least to really turn this around. The alternative is throwing darts blindfold and hoping one hits the bullseye.

But you are right about the short term focus of owners, coaches, fans and the media. Thats why so few young QBs work out. It's not them it's us.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I agree, but if Ron rather have Allen, we gonna get chance to see why.  Which is fine, season over anyway, he told us that before it started and no one listened to him.

Or... this is wild... he wanted to give Haskins a fair shot and bringing in Allen was an insurance policy he had confidence in... but wasn’t Cam who would have meant Haskins was benched day one.

31 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

That will be the narrative regardless when they go through inevitable growing pains. In those moments, we do everything wrong. I believe Josh Allen is a bust here. Lamar Jackson is definitely a bust here. Even Mahomes likely is a bust here. I have not seen this franchise develop QB talent in all my years as a fan. Our culture is trash and that's the most annoying part of cheering for this team. We are self defeating with the loser culture.

Yeah but you've named three QB's who always blatantly had the upside to become stars. Haskins never had that upside. Josh Allen is the player some thought Haskins was. He's ten times the athlete that Haskins is though and will sling the ball into tighter windows where as Haskins hesitates. 

Would Haskins have been a success in Buffalo? Nah not a chance imo.

The previous regime drafted a flawed QB with limited upside. We shouldn't waste our time trying to make it work when it clearly won't. Save time and move on. 

Maybe, find the true value around the league of DH by placing him on the practice squad and making Steven Montez #3 QB and see which teams bite at poaching DH from the practice squad. (I joke... kind of).

I doubt DH has any trade value, even a late round flyer from another team at this point.

3 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

If this is the case Im wondering why they didn't name Alex the starter with Kyle as the back up.   From the sounds of things Alex was the best QB at camp.  He obviously has the experience and is a legit starter starter in the NFL.  Are they just afraid to put him out there?  Did they feel obligated for some reason to give Kyle a chance?  Do they think Kyle has Franchise QB potential and they want to see if he will develop into that?

If Alex is truly ready to play and this move was done because Ron thinks there is still a chance to do something THIS year why not just go straight to Alex?

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

...A former member of the Redskins’ personnel department said Snyder’s involvement with the football operation typically outmatches his football expertise.

<Snip>

That has got to be the nicest way of saying that "he doesn't know what the **** he's doing" that I have ever heard.

Archived