Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm frustrated and already questioning whether this **** is going to work out.  We're going to try and do things our own way once again, but every time we do this, I come back to the conclusion that our only chance is to use the old formula of 1.) Hire GM, 2.) GM hires coaching staff whom he is then married to, 3.) FO and staff draft QB, whom they are all then married to.  Apparently that is the only way to keep the coaches from abandoning course midstream and sabotaging their QB.

The team sort of has a defacto GM, Kyle Smith, who according to multiple beat guys had an opinion about Haskins so that might be in play here.  But I do think he deserves the actual title.  

I'm surprised it happened now, but not that surprised. I think they feel Haskins play is now holding the other players back, rather than the other way around, which is why Smith is #2. They've seen what they have with Haskins, now they want to get a better picture of the rest of the team. Haskins agent did him no favors either.

I wonder what Snyder will do...

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Thats Th e smart move. And if I recall correctly Allen is Scott’s boy. Always had faith in him. This is as perfect as a time as any to prove yourself right. 

The real question Is, do we start a new thread about our new starter or just rename this one???

I think it needs to be its own thread. Focused on Allen and not Haskins.

Just now, method man said:

This team, with all its cap space this offseason, must get a veteran QB. Pay up for Dak if he is not franchised or trade for Stafford once Detroit goes into rebuild mode

Would anyone take Darnold at this stage if Jets move on or is he too much or a risk at this stage?

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

The team sort of has a defacto GM, Kyle Smith, who according to multiple beat guys had an opinion about Haskins so that might be in play here.  But I do think he deserves the actual title.  

They need a full time GM who is head of football operations and has final say on coaching and player personnel.  We don't have that.  And I'm not convinced Kyle Smith is good enough or experienced enough to have the job.

The franchise infrastructure here is garbage.  This isn't a job for someone with minimal experience to cut his teeth on.  It needs to be someone who has a lot of experience working for successful organizations, preferably at least as an assistant GM.

Snider summing it up well were IMO.  I wrote tomes about why i'd love to have a real GM with a pedigree.  But at the same time, Kyle Smith was head of college drafting.  And he had scouts in that building.  Jay had his faults but according to some was a good evaluator. You ride with their opinion -- you don't have the owner override them.  How many times does Dan have to screw up the QB position with his takes before he realizes he doesn't know what the heck he's doing.  But regardless, the owner shouldn't be making these type of draft picks.   Dallas according to some has been able to get Jerry to back off.  Hopefully this is the kicker to get Dan to back off. 

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’d bet Rivera is pissed of with himself for not getting Cam. 

Nah. I bet this wasn’t the plan. I really believe that tweet from the agent was big. If the locker room had issue with it and went to Rivera, Rivera risks losing the team if he doesn’t make a move. Moving him to third means he was making a big statement. 

They will likely try to move him now as well. 

This is all a guess. I have no idea if it’s accurate, true, etc.

But something happened.

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This regime really ****ed the dog with Haskins.  This situation was a test for franchise, to see if we've turned the corner at all, and they failed it.  It's ugly and I'm pretty disappointed to see the same dysfunction play out as the previous two regimes.

I would argue the opposite. This shows Rivera - and not the front office - has control of football operations and that performance on the field is what will drive decisions. 

And I’ve been critical of Rivera this season, especially regarding his choice to give up at the end of games. 

3 minutes ago, FedexFieldIsAJoke said:

Why does anyone even care about developing him?  He was hand picked by Snyder.  Clearly a non-football person decision.  Also not sure how you could watch the Browns game and think he has any hope.  Blow it up and rebuild under Ron.

I get why people think this way. But now we start Kyle Allen who had 3 games with 3 or more interceptions last year. So what does that say about him? Is he leading us to the prmised land? Probably not. So even if we perform a little better, we play us out of a good draft pick which we will need for a new QB. Let's see how this thing unfolds but for now I am unimpressed.

If there was behind the scenes stuff that lead to this decision I am on board. But if it was purely on-field - I don't really get the move.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

With all due respect, comparing the two is an insult to Alex Smith at the moment. Recent history for Alex, plus a renowned reputation for mental toughness and being fiercely competitive....well you can’t realistically bracket Haskins with him at this juncture can you.

Why? Alex had similar controversy to start his career. He had a lot of OCs, he got benched a lot, he got injured, they drafted his repacement, a bunch of things comparable to Haskins. That mental toughness may have helped him through this. You don't know anything about Haskins's mental toughness right now and so I'm just hoping that Haskins can learn from Smith. 

The one hope I had for Haskins was that he must have aced his interviews in the draft process to be so high up on draft boards given his poor tape. Becoming pretty clear he's got a poor attitude too though. If that's true then you can cap his ceiling from low level starter to out of the league pretty quick.

An absolute disaster of a pick at #13. One that's put the organisation back years and not surprisingly a Snyder one. Even Gruden clearly didn't want Haskins. Never made sense. 

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They need a full time GM who is head of football operations and has final say on coaching and player personnel.  We don't have that.  And I'm not convinced Kyle Smith is good enough or experienced enough to have the job.

The franchise infrastructure here is garbage.  This isn't a job for someone with minimal experience to cut his teeth on.  It needs to be someone who has a lot of experience working for successful organizations, preferably at least as an assistant GM.

Kyle has been good at drafting IMO, I think he can run the whole thing.  My point though on this is the owner became the defacto decision maker according to just about every local reporter and national one.  You can't have the owner override the football people IMO because even if the owner is right it sets up a stiuation where you got sour grapes in the building and that in turn can effect future decision making. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wholeheartedly believe that.  I can totally envision a scenario where they spend all week going over something and the game comes and it goes right out the window.  That 4th down play was probably a microcosm of what's happening during the week. 

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

I would argue the opposite. This shows Rivera - and not the front office - has control of football operations and that performance on the field is what will drive decisions. 

And I’ve been critical of Rivera this season, especially regarding his choice to give up at the end of games. 

That's true and it's by no means a bad sign. But if performance on the field drives these decisions then there are some other players who should be benched. I mean Rivera had all the apologies for Apke when everyone could see that he was horrible.

Just now, Panninho said:

That's true and it's by no means a bad sign. But if performance on the field drives these decisions then there are some other players who should be benched. I mean Rivera had all the apologies for Apke when everyone could see that he was horrible.

I think it has a role in the decisions. But again, I’d guess there was more to it. He’s not just demoted. He’s inactive. This was a statement, in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Nah. I bet this wasn’t the plan. I really believe that tweet from the agent was big. If the locker room had issue with it and went to Rivera, Rivera risks losing the team if he doesn’t make a move. Moving him to third means he was making a big statement. 

But something happened.

Had to be. Cause I don’t see anything in these last 4 games that they wouldn’t have known during the off-season. 

They should have noticed his mechanical flaws and his timing issues. They should have run down and distance like situations. And they should have seen “all the little things” too. So to make this move now after only a month is strange to me. 

but at the same time if we win 6 more games we may win the division so....who knows? 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

But something happened.

I agree this wasn’t the plan. But Rivera must think we can get something out of this division even at breakeven. I believe he will be looking back, hindsight being a wonderful thing as they say, regretting his thought process of trusting in Haskins. 

If he’s vested all of this trust in Haskins and it’s gone down the toilet over something like you’ve alluded to, yeah it’s not going to end well.

Just now, KDawg said:

I think it has a role in the decisions. But again, I’d guess there was more to it. He’s not just demoted. He’s inactive. This was a statement, in my opinion.

Yeah, I said further above that if that's the reason I am on board. But not if it is purely based on his game performances.

Just now, Dan T. said:

Why on Earth would you not want the front office to be in control of football operations?  To me this is just more evidence that a neutered and weak FO is not going to work for us.  It's been failing Snyder's entire tenure of ownership.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kyle Smith may or may not be, but we never found out because regardless of what his title says, Rivera is still ultimately in charge.  I find it hard to believe Kyle Smith has any final say over Rivera.  But I will agree, the franchise infrastructure is garbage still.  We can never have a linear chain of command.

Archived