Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Your wife concedes you are right, albeit parenthetically?

Ironically. As in ‘well of course your bound to be right - just do what you think ...’

Gentlemen the last part is a trap. On no accounts do what you think.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

What's that like?!

A trap! Beware.

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This from Bullock, who loved Haskins before the draft. I think he's still cool with him but its not hard to read he has some concerns in the soup.

Very interesting.  Haskins seemed to be a little bit better off script last year. One would think he is overthinking or being overcoached a bit.

5 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Very interesting.  Haskins seemed to be a little bit better off script last year. One would think he is overthinking or being overcoached a bit.

I think it's the added pressure. Last year there were a lot more excuses (and many of them valid IMO) for poor play so he could take risks. This year he's being given all the chances, albeit in tough circumstances, and he's struggling when he has the time to think about what he's going to do.

2 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

We won time of possession and the turn over battle, but gave up 31 points.  This week, the D carries much of the blame.  Offense needs to score, but we will likely not win any games when the other team scores 30+.  Also, ravens likely win 13+ games if they keep scoring 30+.

Yes but the thread is about Dwayne Haskins.  As @httr2020dynastypointed out it's amazing the bar is now set at "he didn't suck as bad this time".  He wasn't good enough on Sunday, once again, and a big play to TM in garbage time does not change this.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Any idea what Passer RATE is? I googled it and all I got was QB rating, but Haskins was nowhere near 4th to last in that statistic. Is it the same stat?

I think it means passer rating.  That is just what used to be called quarterback rating (and was the overall score relating to passes thrown ).  Then ESPN came up with an alternative stat that is more comprehensive of all the QB plays (including things like sacks or running for yards, fumbles.  The problem is, ESPN was stupid enough to name this statisic the QBR... which is different than a "quarterback rating".  So most people now refer to the older stat as a "passer rating" so that is not confused with a QBR.

Pretty much what I see on the field. The worst passer in the NFL. And it rarely gets better. 

The start of Dwayne Haskins’s NFL career puts him in the company of some all-time busts

Just look at the numbers. In four games this season, Haskins has thrown for 939 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions, producing an 80.3 passer rating, the fifth-lowest among 33 qualified quarterbacks. His completion rate is 61 percent, considerably lower than the league average (67 percent).

Haskins is a league-average passer on throws within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage, but once he ventures past that, his accuracy suffers. He’s 5 for 23 (22 percent) on throws traveling 15 or more yards in the air, this in a league that averages 48 percent completions on such attempts. Perhaps that’s why Haskins, on average, is throwing the ball more than two yards short of the first-down marker this season, according to the NFL’s Next Gen Stats; that’s one of the lowest marks in the league, and it makes it difficult for Washington to move the ball down the field or sustain drives. (On an average second-and-eight snap, Haskins is throwing the ball just six yards in the air, hoping his receiver will do the rest of the work.)

According to ESPN’s Total Quarterback Rating, Haskins has been the least-valuable passer of 2020. When Haskins drops back, Washington is scoring almost five points per game fewer than expected after taking into account the down, distance and field position of each passing play, per data from TruMedia. By that metric, only Jeff Driskel, Sam Darnold and Carson Wentz have been worse this season.

To put Haskins’s futility in a broader context, here are the passers selected in the first round since 2002 who have produced similar expected-per-game output (within one point) on passing plays over their first 11 NFL starts: Brady Quinn, Kyle Boller, EJ Manuel, JaMarcus Russell, Matthew Stafford, J.P. Losman and David Carr.

If such esoteric stats as Total Quarterback Rating and Expected Points Added aren’t your thing, consider a subjective take such as the Pro Football Focus player grades, which are based on a player’s “contribution to production” on each play. In other words, if a quarterback delivers a perfect pass to a wideout but the receiver drops it, that’s still considered a positive event for the passer. Using this grading method, PFF’s game charters rank Haskins as the NFL’s worst passer through the first four weeks of this season, even including his Week 4 performance, which was the fourth-highest rated game of the week among quarterbacks.

1 hour ago, Leonard Washington said:

Maybe so, I'd let it play out.  The Giants game I think should help.  Their defense is "meh".  He grew up a Giants fan, so I figure he will be fired up for that one.  The Rams game I don't think will be easy.

6 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If you want to help the kid, bring in Sanu or AB. Both have familiarity with Haskins from the offseason. He looks up to them both. They at least give us a better evaluation of Haskins in general if he's got training partners to throw to.

If you want to help him why would you do such a horrible thing to him?

2 hours ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Pretty much what I see on the field. The worst passer in the NFL. And it rarely gets better. 

He’s 5 for 23 (22 percent) on throws traveling 15 or more yards in the air, this in a league that averages 48 percent completions on such attempts. Perhaps that’s why Haskins, on average, is throwing the ball more than two yards short of the first-down marker this season, according to the NFL’s Next Gen Stats; that’s one of the lowest marks in the league, and it makes it difficult for Washington to move the ball down the field or sustain drives. (On an average second-and-eight snap, Haskins is throwing the ball just six yards in the air, hoping his receiver will do the rest of the work.)

What a brutally honest indictment of his play. He’s not just a bust he’s one of the biggest busts of all time. At least he’s exceptional at something in the NFL I guess.

At this point, putting him on the field is like feeding him to the lions at the coliseum.  It’s almost barbaric to allow him to humiliate himself further. Come on Ron. Let’s not embarrass him any further. It’s over. He’s had enough...

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

That's my concern as well. Nobody who starts THAT bad ends up becoming good. Okay there are exceptions, but its rare.

The one exception they mentioned in the article (which they kinda glossed over) was Stafford.  

You’re right though, it’s rare.  Mostly if you start out extremely poorly,  it doesn’t get better.  

Goff is another example of it happening.  He was also miserable his rookie year, but played well enough in year 3 to get to an NFC Championship game, (and then the refs put them through to the SB).

But for every “success” story there are 10 “out of the league in 4 years” stories. 

The problem is, it’s tough to know when to cut bait from a fan perspective.  It’s easier to tell which will develop and which won’t with the benefit of seeing how they work, study, practice and take coaching.  So, the coaches are going to have a better deal than we are.  

We’ll see.  I am kinda getting the feeling this is the last stand.  With the schedule opening up a little bit, this is the time to make some hay if you’re going to.  

39 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The problem is, it’s tough to know when to cut bait from a fan perspective.  It’s easier to tell which will develop and which won’t with the benefit of seeing how they work, study, practice and take coaching.  So, the coaches are going to have a better deal than we are.  

It’s actually not hard as a Washington fan. We have never seen a QB we drafted become a long-term franchise QB. Ever. No one on this board was alive to see it. We have seen flashes and even a magical year in 2012 but we have never seen any long term success at the QB position in a player we drafted since Sammy Baugh. 

We have also never had a QB we drafted then go on to have success elsewhere as a franchise QB either in the modern era. That’s the only metric that tells you if you gave up too soon. We have never given up too soon. We have actually held out hope against reality far too long with every single QB we have drafted. All of them.

What we need to do is cut bait much sooner and fish for the next one faster. It’s a numbers game at this point and the more prospects we bring in, test then dump the faster we will find the answer. We have been getting in long term relationships with losers when we should be speed dating. 

I still have hope, but over the next four games, he needs to be at 65% completions or better with about a 2 to 1 td to int ratio and at least 2 wins.  If he isn't close to this in the next 4 games combined, I will begin to lose faith.  The next 4 games are much more favorable match ups.

4 hours ago, Nerm said:

I think it means passer rating.  That is just what used to be called quarterback rating (and was the overall score relating to passes thrown ).  Then ESPN came up with an alternative stat that is more comprehensive of all the QB plays (including things like sacks or running for yards, fumbles.  The problem is, ESPN was stupid enough to name this statisic the QBR... which is different than a "quarterback rating".  So most people now refer to the older stat as a "passer rating" so that is not confused with a QBR.

That's what I got when I googled it, but that tweet says Haskins Passer rate was 4th worse last week, but Haskins QB Rating was better than 10+ QBs. It does not match up to Haskins QBR ranking, so I don't believe it is that either.

It brings me to the conclusion that Passer Rate is some stat I've never heard of, or this guys rankings are wonky.

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

That's what I got when I googled it, but that tweet says Haskins Passer rate was 4th worse last week, but Haskins QB Rating was better than 10+ QBs. It does not match up to Haskins QBR ranking, so I don't believe it is that either.

It brings me to the conclusion that Passer Rate is some stat I've never heard of, or this guys rankings are wonky.

It’s passer rating. He’s currently 29th for the year

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing.htm#passing::pass_rating

There are actually 33 qualified passers based on whatever minimum they are using. So if you dump number 33 so you have 32 matching the number of teams then 29th makes him 4th worst. That’s how they came to that number. Statistically,  he’s 5th worst if you use all 33 qualified QBs.

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He must have meant through week 4 not for week 4.

I thought that too, but the other stats that he measured don't rank out that way if you factor the whole season to date..

Stuff like intended air yards. His avg is higher than several other players across the season.

Archived