Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

The big thing is that most teams don’t have a corner to chase McLaurin everwhere and with only a week to prepare its difficult to change your entire defensive scheme.

I expect scary Terry to fare better in coming weeks.

Dont forget terry TORCHED slay last year. He worked him like a ragdoll when he is an allpro CB. Slay was absolutely ready for him this time and had safety help all day. Your point is a very good one. 

49 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Im not high balling or lowballing, you should name three worse.  I’m not well schooled enough on all the rest of the teams in the league.  Off the top of my head I’d say the Dolphins are worse, and possibly the Bengals.  But I challenge you, because I’m not ready to draw conclusions on a whole new offense with new pieces on a young team.

Im not going to name 3 worse cause I dont think there are. 😂 

What you said above is my point. New players, new scheme all young guys....its not hard to see our group is scraping the bottom of the league. Thats not to say they cant make it work though. You just called it an exaggeration, and I really dont think it is. Thats all. You dont really have to name 3 worse. I was just trying to make a point that there arnt. 

Biggest positive regarding the QB position is that we have Dwayne here for cheap for the next 2-3 years. That will allow us to address the team overall every offseason and make the situation more tenable for Dwayne. As a QB, I still don’t see many positive signs of him developing into a elite franchise QB but he’s pretty good at protecting the ball and there are a number of teams in recent memory that have combined that with good, opportunistic defense for nice results. The 2018 Bears (even though Trubisky definitely has a few turnovers in him) and 2019 Niners are two examples that come to mind. 

If we can keep building the team around him, hopefully it’ll all slow down and he’ll turn into more of a playmaker. But if not, being Alex Smith might work for the time being. 

Now if the wheels fall off and we end up 3-13 again but with a good defense, the conversation changes. 

DH has work to do. That wasn’t good enough. I dont think there is anyway in the world he doesn’t know that. But he held it together. Made plays when it mattered and led us to a victory on the backs of our ridiculous D and a opportunistic O. He’s still thinking out there, it will take time. But I expect him to get better and better. If you are having a bad day, find ways you can still contribute ie attitude, leadership, and being smart with the ball. He did that. Step in the right direction. 

Not going to hit the panic button on the OL yet.  It was their first action together and the matchup was pretty brutal.  They'll get an easier match up next week as opposed to a group that recently powered their team to a championship.  Lots of rookies and young players in Arizona's front, Jones is the only big threat.

They had issues but they did enough to get the win.

Also like that we got a leader here guys.  Didnt play well but found a way to get the win by making the plays that were there for him, when he had to.  Im not going so far as to say clutch, but he was calm and collected in the drives that tied the game and the go ahead td  score, and that filtered down to the rest of the players.  I remember one play some WR was lined up on wrong side of field, DH corrected him audibly, still got the play off in time, and got a 1st down.  Thats pretty good stuff guys. 

Now let the kid try to learn somn behind perhaps the worst OL in the league.  If he can learn to be an average QB under those circumstances, then I think he will be a star under better circumstances.  

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not going to hit the panic button on the OL yet.  It was their first action together and the matchup was pretty brutal.  They'll get an easier match up next week as opposed to a group that recently powered their team to a championship.  Lots of rookies and young players in Arizona's front, Jones is the only big threat.

They had issues but they did enough to get the win.

The Patriots probably lost a chance at two more super-bowls by trading Jones.  He's a dominant player.  Most underrated NFL player.

One thing I still can't wrap my head around - when Haskins scrambled near the goal line (I think it was third down just before we went for it and got it) he slid. To my knowledge the rule has always been that as soon as you give yourself up the play is dead and the QB is not to be hit. Instead, Haskins got blasted by 3 Eagles. And the first hit didn't even come until after his knee was down and it was obvious he was sliding. Yet no flags? I was pretty irate - should that not have been a penalty for a late hit? I mean, we all know if it was Tom Brady there would have been 6 flags on the grass. 

If Dwayne starts to do this THEN we can hit the panic button.

18 minutes ago, moondog said:

One thing I still can't wrap my head around - when Haskins scrambled near the goal line (I think it was third down just before we went for it and got it) he slid. To my knowledge the rule has always been that as soon as you give yourself up the play is dead and the QB is not to be hit. Instead, Haskins got blasted by 3 Eagles. And the first hit didn't even come until after his knee was down and it was obvious he was sliding. Yet no flags? I was pretty irate - should that not have been a penalty for a late hit? I mean, we all know if it was Tom Brady there would have been 6 flags on the grass. 

That was an egregious blown call.

17 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

It just hit me, this game totally counts as a 4th Q comeback for Haskins.

Add to that statwipe

I don't know the rules for those stats, but it looks like ProFootball Reference does not have him as getting credit for a 4th quarter come back, or an official "game winning drive"  

It may be that the game tying drive started in the 3rd qtr, but I don't really understand the rules for those stats.  

Regardless of the stats, it is still a comeback win against a divisional opponent.

Edit:  I think this is wrong, he maybe did get credit for those stats... it just isn't updated yet.

21 minutes ago, moondog said:

I saw that too.  The second hitter who came in delivered a pretty hard contact too.  In real time, it might have been bangbang, but it looked really bad on replay and you're right, more established QBs absolutely would have gotten that call.  They called us tight too, several roughness calls on us over the course of the game.

There was a helmet to helmet hit on Sims too, on a punt return I think.  It absolutely should have been called since Apke got hit with a PF call in a similar situation.  Definitely didn't get any home cooking officiating yesterday.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

If we can keep building the team around him, hopefully it’ll all slow down and he’ll turn into more of a playmaker. But if not, being Alex Smith might work for the time being. 

He’s not in the same stratosphere as Alex Smith right now. Alex Smith makes audibles in the run game, hits check downs with accuracy and timing, is accurate in the short game overall, and make plays off schedule down the field, intermediate, and with his legs. 

Heres to hoping Haskins gets there on his rookie deal. 

Zero turnovers was my favorite stat from yesterday.  He made good safe throws.  I think I am waiting for him to make a throw  that makes me go, "wow, that was a really amazing pass."  I have yet to see that just going off the top of my head (I'm sure he has had at least a couple).  In general his lack of accuracy is the most troubling aspect.  Going off the eye test, if I had to make a judgment now, I wouldn't bet on him ever being an upper echelon QB.  But he certainly has the arm strength and mobility to be successful.  He also appears to have leadership skills.  If he can develop some pocket awareness and accuracy I could see him surprising some people.

When watching the game on TV, none of us are really able to see WR separation, since the camera never strays away from the QB, so it is hard to say if guys are getting open.  

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Im not high balling or lowballing, you should name three worse.  I’m not well schooled enough on all the rest of the teams in the league.  Off the top of my head I’d say the Dolphins are worse, and possibly the Bengals.  But I challenge you, because I’m not ready to draw conclusions on a whole new offense with new pieces on a young team.

You disagreed and then admit you actually aren’t up on the rest of the league?

Those are both bad guesses unfortunately. 

The Bengals are loaded:

Mixon/Gio at RB

Tyler Boyd

AJ Green

Tee Higgins

John Ross

Auden Tate all at WR

TE is meh but Uzomah is better than anyone we have

Dolphins have more than we have:

Gisecki at TE

Devante Parker

Preston Williams both at WR

Plenty of slot guys with Sims-type upside

RBs are Breida, Howard, Gaskin (this is the closest to us)

Anyways I’m not trying to kill you for this here and I appreciate the optimism. I just thought it was super homerish that you’re the one who pushed back so hard on us having the worst skill position players in the league only to find out you aren’t really up on those guys around the league. The Bengals call was particularly egregious lol. 

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

A game winning drive is a go ahead score with either 2 or 5min remaining depending on who you ask.

Who you ask, you say?  What would Haskins say if you ask he? 

Funnily enough, Chase was so good I just remembered to check Burrow's stats yesterday.  Thank you Cinci.

BTW, as maligned as our OL is, only one team got more than 4 sacks yesterday (the one that puts the capital T in Team), and that OL only gave up 3, which was behind 2 teams that gave up 4 and Philly (8).  Not saying all's ok, but it could be worse.

5 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Who you ask, you say?  What would Haskins say if you ask he? 

Funnily enough, Chase was so good I just remembered to check Burrow's stats yesterday.  Thank you Cinci.

Whoever is chronicling the stat. PFF may be 2 mins, but if your watching a broadcast, I see a lot of networks go with final 5 mins.

That final padding drive really helped Burrow 's numbers. added 70 yds against a soft prevent D. Expectedly ugly for a QB making his first start. 

without that padding he had 123 yds, 1 rush TD and a pick.

I don't know if he'd sign it, but today I'd offer to tear up the last 2 years of his contract (so he has to finish this year with they pay he has).  Give him $8 million a year for 5 years with $15 million signing bonus and the next two years guaranteed.    That would make him if not the least non-rookie starting QB contracts one of them.  I think he's going to be an ok, but not great QB.  And if you can lock in an okay, but not great QB in long term on a reasonable deal, then you might be able to put a winning team around them.

And if you happen come up with a great QB, it isn't an awful amount to pay a backup, and you might be able to move Haskins.  It's a pretty low deal for a starting QB, but after the next 2 years if nobody thinks he's a starting QB, it would be more than he'd likely make as a backup.  And it gives him financial security in case of an injury or whatever.  He might believe in himself and laugh at it, but I'd raise it.

10 hours ago, volsmet said:

Today Kyle might, but coaches are paid to develop talent, and Haskins has more of it. The coaching staff took this job quickly; after losing to a team led by DH, they liked what they saw & believed they could develop him. This staff could have easily brought in Cam & they had the freedom to bring in Tua — they like DH & it says quite a bit that they came here & passed on those two. This is their livelihood, they’re more serious about who is running the team than anyone is, and they elected to build around DH. That’s should say quite a bit, it certainly says a lot to me, I know exactly how much a QB is tied to the success of the coach. 

We need to accept that this offense isn’t trying to take “the next step”, this offense is in its infancy, we are taking our first step. We have the worst combination of OL/WR/RB & TE in the league, we are the envy of no QB, we should enjoy analyzing the ups & downs of DH while not losing sight of all the circumstances his performances are played within.

I’d say Rivera/Del Rio joined forces more because of the defensive talent up front and opportunity to draft Chase Young than anything to do with Haskins.  

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The Bengals are loaded:

Mixon/Gio at RB

Tyler Boyd

AJ Green

Tee Higgins

John Ross

Auden Tate all at WR

Dolphins have more than we have:

Gisecki at TE

Devante Parker

Preston Williams both at WR

Plenty of slot guys with Sims-type upside

RBs are Breida, Howard, Gaskin (this is the closest to us)

Anyways I’m not trying to kill you for this here and I appreciate the optimism. I just thought it was super homerish that you’re the one who pushed back so hard on us having the worst skill position players in the league only to find out you aren’t really up on those guys around the league. The Bengals call was particularly egregious lol. 

You’re really going to sit here and say the Bengals are loaded?  The same franchise who just picked #1 overall after an abysmal season? Lol

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The Bengals are loaded:

Mixon/Gio at RB

Tyler Boyd

AJ Green

Tee Higgins

John Ross

Auden Tate all at WR

But doesn't it seem like Ross has been a disappointment ?

At least compared to his expectations.

He was billed as DeSean Jackson 2..0

23 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I’d say Rivera/Del Rio joined forces more because of the defensive talent up front and opportunity to draft Chase Young than anything to do with Haskins.  

You’re really going to sit here and say the Bengals are loaded?  The same franchise who just picked #1 overall after an abysmal season? Lol

They didn’t pass on Cam & Tua because of Allen & Payne. 

10 hours ago, volsmet said:

We need to accept that this offense isn’t trying to take “the next step”, this offense is in its infancy, we are taking our first step. We have the worst combination of OL/WR/RB & TE in the league, we are the envy of no QB, we should enjoy analyzing the ups & downs of DH while not losing sight of all the circumstances his performances are played within.

Well said.  The offense sucks right now.  They can't really match up with good defenses and sustain drives without getting a ton of help from our D, like yesterday.

But Dwayne has an aura of confidence.  He can make you believe a bad group can be better than it really is and he's a playmaker at the QB position that can bail out bad snaps or get more than the situation seemed to allow for.  My hope is that he and the offense can find an identity, even if it's narrow, and become more than the sum of their parts like San Francisco's offense did last season and just kind of ride the wave of a great defense.  That would be Dwayne proving himself as a franchise leader in very adverse situation.  Getting the experience that leads to masterful quarterbacking is a process that plays out over the course of years.  Right now, Dwayne and the other guys just need to get wins.  Make everyone's jobs safe so we can build something.  It's not important what numbers/grades he and the other young offensive players get so long as they can get some wins.

Archived