Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Wesseling rated Haskins #32 - "the worst starting QB in the NFL"

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-week-1-ranking-all-32-starters-entering-2020-nfl-season

Wait what, they didn't bother writing a blurb for Haskins?  You can't tell me those two sentences saying absolutely nothing are a blurb.

"There are reasons galore why Haskins will climb the QB rankings.  (Doesn't list any)

But lack of game film last season says...'yes...no...maybe?'"

Was that writer just hungover, or realized oh crap he hadn't finished yet and the deadline was in 5 minutes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree with you. But it's how the media works.  Stay with me now, this is going to be  a little long...

Haskins is the betting favorite, apparently by a lot, to be the first QB benched this year.  Sheehan was talking about it on his podcast.  Sheehan stated, and I agree, the reason is because Haskins was drafted by this team. 

In my opinion, (Sheehan listed some of these also, so credit where credit is due) Haskins' reputation is effected negatively by:

1. The fact the owner, who everybody despises worst than Lucifer himself, picked him over the reservations of "the football people" (whoever they are, I guess Kyle Smith and Jay Gruden)

2. The coach, Jay Gruden, didn't want him, at least not at 15.  And there is a lot more respect for Gruden (at least for now) outside the area than inside the area.  

3. The constant leaks about him not being able to call a play in the huddle, which lasted for the entire off-season and into the season. 

4. When he got his first opportunity, he looked completely lost.  

5. His first several starts were just bad.  He didn't know what he was doing, he had bad mechanics which led to bad accuracy.  

6. He showed a tremendous amount of immaturity with the "leauge done messed up," taking selfies while the game was still going on, other social media posts, etc. 

7. The overall opinion Haskins did not do what he needed to do to get ready for the season last year.

All of these things have stuck to Haskins.  Most of them are on the organization, whether it be Dan, Bruce, Jay or others, they are factors outside Haskin's control.  SOME are not.  He could have prepared better, been more engaged, and been more mature.

However, the only counter-balance to the bad things are 2 drives at the end of the Detroit game which led to field goals, which were somewhat impressive but came at the end of a 13-29 with an INT, no TD performance.  So, unless you REALLY watched, that doesn't look all that impressive.  (I thought he played well when he needed to, which was impressive. Even though he was inconsistent.) And then the final 6 quarters of his season, which ended with him getting injured. 

So, when the media "evaluates" the situation, they are looking at it through that lens.  And because most of the national media have to cover the entire league, they migrate to the easy to defend position which takes as little thought as possible.  And has the benefit of being 'click worthy."

Saying "Washington has a young QB, he was put in a terrible situation last year, they have a new coach and structure now, and they need to see how he's going to do with a new situation and better preparation" isn't remotely interesting, though it has the benefit of being the truth.  I also puts some demand on the media member to understand what Ron has been doing this off-season with Hasksins, what the offense is going to ask of him, and know a little more than just what happened last year on the field.  This immediately means 80-90% of the national media will not either have taken, or have the time to come up with that answer.  

Saying, "The WFT has the worst QB situation in the NFL because Haskins didn't show anything last year, the backup is an undrafted free agent who didn't look good last year, and the 3rd string guy's leg looked like it was gnawed on by a shark.  They have nothing, and they are going to suck."  Now, that will draw some clicks. And can be defended by last year, and has the benefit of not requiring any real research or thought. 

Alternatively, if somebody came out and said, "Look, Haskins was extremely well regarded out of college.  He's going to be a top 10 QB this year, here's why: (explanation)." That would be interesting and would get clicks.  BUT this is the hardest of the three answers because it would involve thought which is different than the group think which is easy to regurgitate and spin a little to make it your own.  And you'd have to come up with all of your justifications by yourself and be able to defend them.  This is harder and time consuming.  So even if somebody did think this way, most likely it wouldn't come up because it's hard.

In summary, I completely agree with you.  The way the media operates is "path of least resistance" and "click-bate" or "shock-jock."  So, I don't expect anything close to actual reporting from anybody who's outside the bubble.  And the counter is, the people inside the bubble are tainted in the opposite direction.

I remember Cooley saying it and I thought it was the most ludicrous thing I'd ever heard in my entirely life.  I can't remember if he was saying that's what he heard, or that was his opinion.  I do remember thinking if you get rid of your 2 best weapons because your QB can't be a leader in the locker room, then you need to find a new QB.  I also think Cousins could have been a fine leader in the locker room with Garcon and Jackson there, and the excuse was just stupid Bruce Allen bull**** for being a cheap *******. 

I take issue with this point of view.  Just because we suck shouldn't mean we should be subject to lack of thought by reporters.  

If you take a look at the team and say, "yeah, they still suck because of X, Y and Z" then that's fine.  

But if you say, "They sucked last year, they're a terrible organization, so I'm just going to assume they're going to suck this year" is lazy. 

It's not the conclusion I have an issue with, it's the lazy way people come to the conclusion which I take issue with.  

The points about Haskins are probably the best, most accurate thing I’ve seen written about him anywhere all offseason 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Our QB situation is better than at least 5-6 teams, in my opinion. Carolina, Raiders, Bears, Colts, Pats, Chargers, possibly the Giants, Jags, Titans, Jets, Steelers, depending on growth, health, repeating a "break out" year, etc.

.....some of the teams you listed are absolutely preposterous lol. 

most of those teams are actively trying to win games. We are just trying to see if the man can play. You cannot tell me you are taking Dwayne Haskins to win you a big game over Cam Newton, Ryan Tannehill, Big Ben, Phil Rivers, or Tyrod Taylor no matter what the age factors are and if you do, I’d wager that not one of those teams would swap with the exception of maybe Jacksonville. Sure all of those guys are question marks but they have long histories of decent to high level play. We haven’t even seen Dwayne in a high pressure meaningful game situation yet. 

3 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Cam Newton, Ryan Tannehill, Big Ben, Phil Rivers, or Tyrod Taylor

Thats why I said "possibly" and listed several factors, including health for Newton and Roethlisberger, who are both older and coming off significant injuries, repeating Tannehill's one good year, and I'll absolutely take Haskins over Taylor--who is now 31, on his 4th team, and has never really done anything. Would rather have Case Keenum?

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Thats why I said "possibly" and listed several factors, including health for Newton and Roethlisberger, who are both older and coming off significant injuries, repeating Tannehill's one good year, and I'll absolutely take Haskins over Taylor--who is now 31, on his 4th team, and has never really done anything. Would rather have Case Keenum?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00.htm

Tyrod has a winning record as a starter and takes care of the ball. He’s literally Alex Smith. 

And if I had to win a game tomorrow, I might take Case because I’ve seen him have a successful season. Again, I haven’t even seen Dwayne play in a game where both teams are trying to win.

We don’t have enough information on Dwayne and the info we do is bad. I’m not ready to say ship him out yesterday and I’m definitely not ready to say I’d rather have him than most veterans long term. 

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

We don’t have enough information on Dwayne and the info we do is bad. I’m not ready to say ship him out yesterday and I’m definitely not ready to say I’d rather have him than most veterans long term. 

You're right, we don't know what Haskins is, yet. However your assertion that the info we have is just "bad" is dismissive and demonstrably false--there is a lot of good and bad, as rookie with little starting experience in college, with a head coach that had no interest in developing him should be. There are a number of PFF articles demonstrating his improvement and his promise.

We know what Tyrod Taylor is. Even if I have to win one game, I'm still going with Haskins. We've had a Tyrod Taylor before, at best he's a stopgap. There's a reason he's been on 3 different teams in the last 3 years.

• Like 1

Gruden and "our situation" here was probably the worst place for Dwayne to land.  I am glad he got his feet wet regardless. Players can learn the speed of the game in practice.  He needed to start learning the speed of the game WITH the chance of getting his clock cleaned. 

Watching Houstons offense last night - I think looked an awful like what ours will be.   Stressing the word awful is optional as KC is a force (those fans though? Awful). Having 2 Johnsons out there... that isn't new though

tenor.gif?itemid=15466663

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I am really looking to see how a new competent coaching staff performs

I feel kind hot-takey today: We have the best coaching staff in the division.

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

Gruden and "our situation" here was probably the worst place for Dwayne to land.

I said almost the exact same thing to a friend of mine when we drafted him: He could be good--but needs a solid organization and solid coaching. I did not feel he would get that here at the time--and he didn't, initially. I think this team has a lot invested in him. And, if Rivera actually has full control and Snyder is really on his boat somewhere, he has proven and earned his accolades this offseason.

• Like 2

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

I feel kind hot-takey today: We have the best coaching staff in the division.

IMO we have the coaching staff we need....... I won't judge NY or Dallas, but Rivera and his style are a cure for what has ailed us for a dan long time, and so far, as much as we have been allowed to see, the players have been reacting to it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LD0506 said:

IMO we have the coaching staff we need....... I won't judge NY or Dallas, but Rivera and his style are a cure for what has ailed us for a dan long time, and so far, as much as we have been allowed to see, the players have been reacting to it.

I have little faith in Judge. First, he's a Bellicheck disciple--name me one successful head coach to come from under Bellicheck. Second, he seems inexperienced, and a reactionary hire that no one else was looking at. Maybe I'm wrong (it's been known to happen on occasion), but Mara/Gettleman have had four head coaches in the last five years, since Coughlin retired.

McCarthy was not impressive either--many say he's pretty much the same coach as Jason Garrett. I think he has the most talent in the division, so he might do the best, but I will take our staff over theirs, at least on paper.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Wait what, they didn't bother writing a blurb for Haskins?  You can't tell me those two sentences saying absolutely nothing are a blurb.

"There are reasons galore why Haskins will climb the QB rankings.  (Doesn't list any)

But lack of game film last season says...'yes...no...maybe?'"

If they're basing it on "lack of game film" then shouldn't Burrow be lower than Haskins ?

And why base it on the talent around him ? It's supposed to judge the player alone, not the entire offense.

A QB should not be judged by the talent around him - but what he does with that talent, or lack thereof.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

Attack, attack, and attack with down the field throws. Haskins is wired this way, hope it doesn’t get coached out of him. Feature the arm talent on a variety on downs all game long. Prioritize Haskins’ elite arm and natural inclination to make down the field throws. If this amounts 15-20 or so Interceptions and 30 tds versus 22tds and 8int, I’m all for it. Let’s develop an elite QB not a middle of the road guy. 

3 pointers and lay ups. 

He seems to want to be elite not just a starter/average to above. Some will say what QB doesn’t want to be elite, but some don’t have the talent or willingness to challenge the boundaries of average to above (ie. Smith and Cousins). Average to above has great value at the right cost, not discounting the accomplishments of Smith and Cousins. For example, If Haskins becomes above average during his rookie deal that’s great value to the team. 

• Like 1

Sunday can’t come fast enough. I can’t wait to see how different our offense looks.

I’m not expecting massive numbers, but if we are going to construct the kind of offensive roster we have, you better have a gameplan that accentuates it.

I will lose my mind if we simply run up the gut and look vanilla.

Fortunately the dislodged brain would provide ideal snackage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I have little faith in Judge. First, he's a Bellicheck disciple--name me one successful head coach to come from under Bellicheck. Second, he seems inexperienced, and a reactionary hire that no one else was looking at. Maybe I'm wrong (it's been known to happen on occasion), but Mara/Gettleman have had four head coaches in the last five years, since Coughlin retired.

McCarthy was not impressive either--many say he's pretty much the same coach as Jason Garrett. I think he has the most talent in the division, so he might do the best, but I will take our staff over theirs, at least on paper.

If you have any kool aid left man, I’ll DM you my address. I need some. 

you have the takes piping hot today lol 

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

If you have any kool aid left man, I’ll DM you my address. I need some. 

you have the takes piping hot today lol 

I mean hot takes can swing both ways. One has to be willfully ignorant to not at least see the positive steps Haskins has taken this off-season as far as preparation and work ethic. I guess we'll see, won't we.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic