Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

I love that we have a truly disruptive defense and an offense that is at least trying to manufacture uncertainty on every play. That is one of the places where coaches and scheme have such a huge impact on talent and we finally have a staff that understands that and doesn't neuter their players pre-snap. It was so nice to see the Eagles out there confused and chattering when we were in the red zone and applying schematic pressure on them for once.

Here’s something completely non sequitor but nevertheless interesting I found on the etymology of the phrase “rolling over in his grave.”

The Gemara are old Jewish texts. I can not say how old, as today is the first time I heard about them, but surely from before 1842, Wikipedia gives a date of 500 CE.

In there, in Sotah 7b, it says (in the English translation by Soncino😞

All the years that the Israelites were in the wilderness, Judah's bones kept turning in his coffin until Moses arose and begged mercy for him.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/226412/origins-of-turn-over-in-his-grave-turn-over-in-her-grave-etc-etc

Saw this tidbit on twitter:

Aaron (@Anpalacios5) Tweeted:
Dwayne Haskins got the ball out every 2.25 seconds on average vs Philly, the fastest release of any Week 1 QBs thus far. 

That's how you neutralize a pass rush that was dominant early on.

For reference, the longest time to throw week 1 was Josh Allen at 3.08 seconds.

Wasn’t it understood that a QB to be successful needed 2.5 seconds in the pocket?  Or, is that a foregone benchmark?  If so, can our O-line improve a quarter of a second to be just ‘minimal’ but not a disaster?

6 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Here’s something completely non sequitor

The Gemara are old Jewish texts. I can not say how old.

Who knew the Ancient Jews were big texters? Further proof that growing up in the country can put you behind the times.  We didn't even have cell phones in my area until Y2K or so

18 hours ago, volsmet said:

Obviously there is nothing Barber offers that Peterson doesn’t. That move was made for other reasons.

100% This.

Waiting for the off-season/post retirement anonymous source to drop dime on this.

Doubt that we will hear any drips coming from our new front office and to be honest, that's incredibly refreshing.

OUCH. From the Start em/Sit em Week 2 write up on NFL.com:

RE the reason to SIT Jared Goff- " I’m just not excited about a matchup against the Eagles, who allowed just 178 passing yards last week. Sure, it was to Dwayne Haskins, so it’s like beating Madden on rookie mode, but still."

DIS.RE.SPECT

18 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That was meee!  Well at least one of those "some" was me.  My eye test has our Week 1 OL play as 2 awful, 2 meh, and 1 great...and the sum of those parts adds up to not much.  Moses was a great surprise, but everyone else played worse than I thought they would.

But my main argument was that the Giants o-line was not better, and at best just par with us.  They also looked awful in Week 1.  I was joking with a Giants friend, that if we combined our two OL's we might have 1 decent OL.  The right side of the Giants OL was getting blown up too often, similarly the left side of our OL was as well.

Ross Tucker on The Athletic, is going to be doing a league wide OL column.  He put his pre-season tiers up today, and both the Giants and Football Team were in the 4th (out of 5) tier.

I think we might have the worst O line in the NFL.  I watched the Giants game and no I don't think they were right there with us but agree it was close. I'd still trade O lines in 2 seconds. But I agree the Steelers got a lot of pressure on them so they weren't hot.

PFF claims their O line scores are the most reliable compared to any position.  I agree though that's debatble.  The worst score a Giants O lineman got was a 46, otherwise they were in the 50s with Thomas breaking 60.  My point about the Giants having a better O line is their left side is better (the more important side, LTs do get paid higher than RTs for a reason)   Thomas was at a 61.  Hernandez was the worst performer of the Giants O line yet still 8 points higher than Martin.  Their center according to PFF played slightly better than ours. 

But I wouldn't count on Zeitler on the Giants right side having another bad game like that.  He's arguably their best lineman, he's regarded just a hair below Scherff typically but in that same class, really good guard.  I would swap their O line with ours in 2 seconds.  Moses had more or less a career game on Sunday.  He's typically just OK.  Zeitler is typically very good.  And yet with all of that the Giants still had 3 of their 5 O lineman ranked better than ours.  And they didn't have a single O lineman in their 30s like the Redskins who had 2.  They worst they had was a 46.  You got 2 O lineman in the 30s playing side by side, then you got one heck of seive.

I agree that both O lines are off to bad starts though but I'd bet on the Giants O line ending a peg better.   And if I recall you weren't that down on our O line and questioned some of the questioning I've heard about Christian from some beat guys.  If so, you can still end up right, its early.  but they aren't off to a hot start.  I like the Giants O line ability to bounce back above ours.  I am just not that high on Christian and Martin.  I do think Thomas will just keep getting better and is already distinctly better than Christian.  And Zeitler hasn't transformed overnight from one of the better guards in the league to one of the worst.   But will see.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF claims their O line scores are the most reliable compared to any position.  I agree though that's debatble.

So, question about the PFF grades, and I'm not bashing them per se, just trying to understand. The Giants just got gashed by the Steelers on the ground, giving up 149 yrds, and had 3 sacks. This is their DL and OLBs:
image.png.6f73eef8b27daa32dfd481f5f5fbcb91.png

We had an dominating game, against a beat up line admittedly, everyone knows 8 sacks, 57 total yards rushing. And this is ours:

image.png.5bb5c713ca3cd2b071c38927234fb6d1.png

I'm curious how they came to this conclusion.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think we might have the worst O line in the NFL.  I watched the Giants game and no I don't think they were right there with us but agree it was close. I'd still trade O lines in 2 seconds. But I agree the Steelers got a lot of pressure on them so they weren't hot.

Our OL was real bad (minus Moses) but I feel confident that Scherff and Roullier's average level of play is higher than that.

Giants OL catastrophe was not just pressure, it was how they were against the run.  The Steelers defense was living in Saquons face at the handoff.

Our OL was awful.  Their OL was awful.  Why compare and try and find differences between who is better when both were so bad it doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF claims their O line scores are the most reliable compared to any position.  I agree though that's debatble.

I don't think you can adequately grade OL play before All-22.

There's too many times I think someone did fine or someone got worked and then All-22 end zone angle shows something else.

PFF's OL grades are broad picture stuff, I'd probably give each grade a +/-15 or something to account for stuff PFF can't see.

PFF has early access to All-22 if I’m not mistaken. It would make sense, since all 32 teams pay for PFF’s services. 

It’s a 1-game sample size but I think it’s clear the WFT OL is much better on the right side, while the Giants OL is much better on the left. Roullier is a better center than theirs, despite last week’s performance. 

I think the OL’s are probably equally terrible, but both are young and it will come down to who can develop the fastest over the next few weeks. 

Archived