Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

6 hours ago, wit33 said:

He’s not in the same stratosphere as Alex Smith right now. Alex Smith makes audibles in the run game, hits check downs with accuracy and timing, is accurate in the short game overall, and make plays off schedule down the field, intermediate, and with his legs. 

Heres to hoping Haskins gets there on his rookie deal. 

Serious question for anyone that knows: Did Dwayne make ANY audibles at all Sunday?

Does he have carte blanche to make audibles or is Scott Turner’s offense more about executing the play called using hot reads etc.?

Where was all of the creative play calling? The passes to RB's. Antonio Gibson caught two passes for 8 yards and McKissic caught one pass for 1 yard. I need to see Gibson get more opportunities to make plays in space. I want to see them find creative ways to get Terry the ball. Get Sims in space. We aren't maximizing our personnel. 

13 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Where was all of the creative play calling? The passes to RB's. Antonio Gibson caught two passes for 8 yards and McKissic caught one pass for 1 yard. I need to see Gibson get more opportunities to make plays in space. I want to see them find creative ways to get Terry the ball. Get Sims in space. We aren't maximizing our personnel. 

Don’t disagree, but McKissick was targeted 5 times.  Have to wonder how slowly they’ll bring Gibson along, or if it’s more a matter of what McKissick has shown.  

55 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Serious question for anyone that knows: Did Dwayne make ANY audibles at all Sunday?

Does he have carte blanche to make audibles or is Scott Turner’s offense more about executing the play called using hot reads etc.?

I swear the concept for misdirection, motion, etc...is that the QB can read what's happening and then adjust.  I also swear that the concept behind 2 versatile RB's (McKissic and GIbson) is that they can exploit mismatches.

But if we're not audibling after a LB mismatch...what's the point?

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

But doesn't it seem like Ross has been a disappointment ?

At least compared to his expectations.

He was billed as DeSean Jackson 2..0

Sure. But they have so many pieces that he’s just a complementary guy they’re still trying to squeeze development out of, they don’t even need him for my point to work lol

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

You’re really going to sit here and say the Bengals are loaded?  The same franchise who just picked #1 overall after an abysmal season? Lol

That’s not what we’re talking about. That comment was in regards to offensive weapons, especially compared to us, if you read the conversation. Which you clearly didn’t. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Sure. But they have so many pieces that he’s just a complementary guy they’re still trying to squeeze development out of, they don’t even need him for my point to work lol

That’s not what we’re talking about. That comment was in regards to offensive weapons, especially compared to us, if you read the conversation. Which you clearly didn’t. 

They aren’t loaded & AJ Green is injury prone.  I do think Burrow is definitely much better than Haskins but as far as weapons?  Loaded😳

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

They didn’t pass on Cam & Tua because of Allen & Payne. 

They passed on Tua because he couldn’t even beat out Ryan Fitzgerald for the starting gig (and has injury history) & Chase Young was on the board.  They passed on Cam Newton because they already invested a first round pick on Haskins just last year!

3 hours ago, -JB- said:

They aren’t loaded & AJ Green is injury prone.  I do think Burrow is definitely much better than Haskins but as far as weapons?  Loaded😳

They passed on Tua because he couldn’t even beat out Ryan Fitzgerald for the starting gig (and has injury history) & Chase Young was on the board.  They passed on Cam Newton because they already invested a first round pick on Haskins just last year!

92D0042F-1AFA-4E04-B6F6-8C0A384167F2.gif.a427346dc76a6ea75d5f7bd6fcea91ef.gif

4 hours ago, skinbuck said:

In related news: Drew Lock is trash...

You misspelled Jeudy.

4 hours ago, -JB- said:

none of this makes any sense 

You don’t pick up Cam Newton cause the coaching staff you just replaced that openly didn’t want him picked him? In what universe is that a thing? You could have atleast gone with the tired ass cause he’s Snyder’s pet thing. 

Also AJ green on one leg is better than any player we have on offense not named Scary. This is also a universal truth. What are you smoking this morning? 

15 hours ago, wit33 said:

He’s not in the same stratosphere as Alex Smith right now. Alex Smith makes audibles in the run game, hits check downs with accuracy and timing, is accurate in the short game overall, and make plays off schedule down the field, intermediate, and with his legs. 

Heres to hoping Haskins gets there on his rookie deal. 

I didn't know Alex Smith was also Steve Young! 

Alex smith is 14 year vet who in his first year played 9 games throw 1 TD and 11 interceptions. He became a sold but mid tier QB.  I'm also glad we have him.

Haskens played his 8th game on Sunday (through 8 games, throwing 8 TDs and 7 Ints). Sunday's performance was under a brand new offensive scheme and he stepped up to play damn near perfect in the second half.

So, while no one is equating Haskins to a 14 year vet in real time, we can project and extrapolate based on what we have seen over the body and circumstances of his first 8 games.

We can keep things in perspective and enjoy the hopes of the stratosphere 😉

15 minutes ago, Llevron said:

none of this makes any sense 

You don’t pick up Cam Newton cause the coaching staff you just replaced that openly didn’t want him picked him? In what universe is that a thing? You could have atleast gone with the tired ass cause he’s Snyder’s pet thing. 

Also AJ green on one leg is better than any player we have on offense not named Scary. This is also a universal truth. What are you smoking this morning? 

First of all I’m not saying the Bengals don’t have more weapons than the Redskins.  I’m saying they’re not loaded.  How is that a hard concept to follow?  And when you invest in a first round QB, even if you fire the entire coaching staff the following season, you’re still invested in the young QB.  Kyle Smith still was involved the process of drafting Haskins and that was knowing most likely Gruden was gonna be gone soon enough.  They have invested so many first round picks on defensive lineman over the past few years and had the opportunity to draft a franchise altering pass rusher in Chase Young.  The kind of guy who can take a talented group to the next level.  That is exciting.  Especially for a defensive minded coach like Rivera & especially enticing to Del Rio.  It was a no brainer.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Unless the RB is in pass pro, why would you need to audible to exploit the mismatch?  Just read the coverage and throw it to the RB of he gives you a window.

Change the route?  First call is an Out against a possible Cover 3.  But the LB goes with and it's likely Man, so you change his route to something further down the field.

That's assuming we think the RB's can win vs the LB in Man.

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Change the route?  First call is an Out against a possible Cover 3.  But the LB goes with and it's likely Man, so you change his route to something further down the field.

That's assuming we think the RB's can win vs the LB in Man.

If it's a true mismatch though, wouldn't you still expect to get a throwing window against zone coverages?  I'd say the concept with most RB routes out of the backfield is create horizontal space and create YAC opportunities or else find the middle seams in the underneath zones.  I don't think you get enough time to run vertical concepts with your RBs it of the backfield.  Not unless their pressure just breaks down.  And assuming you got the time you need from your protection, at a certain point they're just running into the deep zones where you lose the mismatch.

If you've identified linebacker man coverage on the back, if you really want to exploit that vertically, I think you need to audible to an empty set and move the back out wide.  But there could be many reasons you don't want to do that.  You might need the misdirection for the play design which you lose in an empty set.  You might have read something better elsewhere which you could lose by a shift in coverage following an audible.  Hell, it might be too late in the playclock to make changes after the coverage revealed itself.  There are a bunch of reasons why you might now change the play all at the LoS.

9 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I swear the concept for misdirection, motion, etc...is that the QB can read what's happening and then adjust.  I also swear that the concept behind 2 versatile RB's (McKissic and GIbson) is that they can exploit mismatches.

But if we're not audibling after a LB mismatch...what's the point?

There were no audibles in Norv turners system so i am going to assume there are none in Scotts either. But that does not mean there are not adjustments built into plays that take advantage of mismatches or allow you to adjust to a blitz or post snap coverage change. Hot reads and in route adjustments etc.

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

There were no audibles in Norv turners system so i am going to assume there are none in Scotts either. But that does not mean there are not adjustments built into plays that take advantage of mismatches or allow you to adjust to a blitz or post snap coverage change. Hot reads and in route adjustments etc.

Good point.  Schemed in stuff like option routes as well as off schedule post-snap adjustment that the smart players make.  That stuff is tricky when it requires the receiver and QB to be reading the same thing.  It takes time to build up mastery and trust between QB/WR, but it's super effective when you have that.  Case in point what Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams have with each other.  Dwayne had that level of mind-meld with his receivers at Ohio State.

26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Good point.  Schemed in stuff like option routes as well as off schedule post-snap adjustment that the smart players make.  That stuff is tricky when it requires the receiver and QB to be reading the same thing.  It takes time to build up mastery and trust between QB/WR, but it's super effective when you have that.  Case in point what Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams have with each other.  Dwayne had that level of mind-meld with his receivers at Ohio State.

If we want to talk about inflexible systems that have no hot reads, route adjustments or protection calls let's talk Steve Spurrier - but that way lies madness 🙂

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Without pre-season, I wonder how much of the playbook was installed? Seemed like it was a pretty simple scheme, maybe that's just me?

I had the same thought. I thought it was very conservative play calling and some of that might be about not wanting to overload not just a young QB new to the system but a very young group or skill players also new to the system. You would hope (and expect) that the offense can be expanded over time.

9 hours ago, skinbuck said:

In related news: Drew Lock is trash...

5 hours ago, volsmet said:

You misspelled Jeudy.

I think you both meant the coach. No TimeOuts at the end from Fangio. Did he even try to freeze the kicker? Was he hoping the timeouts saved and he could roll the surplus over into next week? Madness

Maybe coaches are in preseason form too. I think he just wanted to go home.

48 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

^ Geron Christian got worked in that play btw.

Agree; after watching a ton of highlights I cant find a play where Christian didn't get destroyed.  Wes Martin wasn't much better either.  We need to get Jeron out before he gets Dawyne Killed. It was atrocious, on multiple occasions he didn't even look like he was playing football.  You could tell Dwayne was being rushed from the left side heavily.  

Archived