Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What, so the next regime can ruin the next QB, too?  We'll have a new coach and a new staff but...Dan and Bruce remain.  And as long as those guys are here pulling the puppet strings, it doesn't matter.  Faces changes, results are always the same.

I don't know that they have ruined Haskins. Haskins is what Haskins is. 

What made him appealing was his arm strength and athletic ability. If he could put his mind in and improve his mechanics, he was a high ceiling guy. His potential was off the charts. But his mechanically issues and reliance on screens was fairly well documented. Basically, with Haskins, it should have come down to how he interviewed and how well he processes information. I had hoped the team did due diligence in that department and selected him based on their belief that he was a quick learner and could pick it all up quickly.

But apparently, that isn't the case.

I don't think it's true that they would ruin any QB prospect. A guy like Tua actually scares me due to his injury history and this team's history with injuries. But lesser heralded players like Burrows (though his hype is approaching insane levels), Hurts, Eason, etc., are all on the table and much more polished from a mechanical and coverage reading point of view.

Where the front office would screw it up is not surrounding that player with the talent necessary.

I think a pass rusher and a LT are mandatory at this point. But so is a quarterback (even IF you want to run with Haskins and keep him on the roster as a project, he and Smith are the only two QBs on the roster... I love Alex Smith. I think what he did for this team was tremendously undervalued... But if we are hoping him and his 20M cap figure are going to stop gap this team coming off of a career threatening injury this front office is insane). The team will need to find a way to fill these holes in some capacity next season.

Whether he will or wont be a bust, my enthusiasm for watching him play has taken a big hit.  I'm just kinda "meh" right now.  

I have no idea what goes on during the week, or how hard he's studying when he goes home, but that shot of the QBs and KOC studiously reviewing information between series bothered me.  Colt is in street clothes, knows the offense like the back of his hand, might never take another snap, he really shouldnt give a crap.  But his nose was in there like he was about to go in the game.  Haskins was lord knows where, not involved. 

Listen, could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for it, it was just one shot during a long game, but regardless, it didnt sit right.  And then when he goes out and struggles, my mind goes back to moments like that.  

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I don't know that they have ruined Haskins. Haskins is what Haskins is. 

What made him appealing was his arm strength and athletic ability. If he could put his mind in and improve his mechanics, he was a high ceiling guy. His potential was off the charts. But his mechanically issues and reliance on screens was fairly well documented. Basically, with Haskins, it should have come down to how he interviewed and how well he processes information. I had hoped the team did due diligence in that department and selected him based on their belief that he was a quick learner and could pick it all up quickly.

I don't think it's true that they would ruin any QB prospect. A guy like Tua actually scares me due to his injury history and this team's history with injuries. But lesser heralded players like Burrows (though his hype is approaching insane levels), Hurts, Eason, etc., are all on the table and much more polished from a mechanical and coverage reading point of view.

Where the front office would screw it up is not surrounding that player with the talent necessary.

I think a pass rusher and a LT are mandatory at this point. But so is a quarterback (even IF you want to run with Haskins and keep him on the roster as a project, he and Smith are the only two QBs on the roster... I love Alex Smith. I think what he did for this team was tremendously undervalued... But if we are hoping him and his 20M cap figure are going to stop gap this team coming off of a career threatening injury this front office is insane). The team will need to find a way to fill these holes in some capacity next season.

I agree with your statement.  Haskins is what he is....yes there's things he needs to improve on but at some point it's sink or swim, either you've got it or you don't.  To bring up a name that was tossed around here earlier, I don't believe JaMarcus Russell would have been successful with a different team.  

In regards to the due diligence and taking him based on their belief that he can be a quick learner...well, I don't trust this FO to do that.  The football people?  Maybe.  Bruce and Dan?  No.  They've shown that they'll step in and override the football people's decisions.  I also agree that they will screw up taking that next player and not surrounding them with the right talent.

I liked Alex Smith, too.  IMO, there's some yet to be discovered advanced metric that would explain how he won games without putting up gaudy stats.  

19 minutes ago, tacosman said:

So many overly quick reactions.  Haskins needs more time to sit(that's why Case is the starter if healthy) but at the same time he will be given lots of time next year and the year after to hopefully develop into our qb of the future. 

He's got a big arm, good size.  Everyone is saying he hasn't shown anything yet.  I would disagree with that- yes the interceptions are there and yes he hasn't led us to many touchdowns, but just the way we can watch him sling it around is encouraging.  The ball spin and trajectory just looks different coming out of his hand compared to case.

'Knowing' the offense and getting more comfortable with it will just take time.  I'm perfectly cool with him sitting the rest of the year, and this idea that 'we' need answers on him right now is silly.  We drafted him in the top half of the first round this very year.  he isn't going anywhere, and we aren't considering bringing in any other new qb(certainly not with another high draft pick) anytime soon.  DH is the guy and it may take a lot more time to fully appreciate if he has it or not. That's the nature of the position.  We're probably looking at 2-3 years before we label someone a bust(and I am far from certain he will be anyways)

This is a bad approach to take to football (of course, in my opinion).

Developing a QB with the rate quarterbacks get paid is a tricky business. If Haskins DOES develop, but he starts to come into his own in season 4 we will have one, maybe two seasons of sample size before we have to decide if we are going to pay him big money.

Doubling and tripling down on your bets is a mistake many NFL teams make when it comes to quarterbacks. 

Him "slinging" it around doesn't mean much. Nate Peterman was slinging it around for the Bills in his first game against the Chargers and he threw 5 picks. Not many people were preaching for patience except for the 12 people on the planet who were Peterman fans. But he got another shot. And at best he's looked mediocre, and worst he's looked horrendous. 

Haskins needs to play, at this point, in this franchise due to a lack of options. What does playing Josh Woodrum do for us? Or Colt McCoy? McCoy, Woodrum and Keenum are all free agents after this season. Haskins is the only guy that has a future moving forward. 

Do WE need to see him? No. But you can bet that the people in Redskin Park know if he's putting in the effort and mentally there or progressing in any meaningful way.

His attitude hasn't been great. Some people say he's operating with a chip on his shoulder, and that's fine, but his chip seems to also coincide with his lack of learning.

Many here said the Cardinals should have stuck with Rosen despite the fact that he was developing. Flash forward and Rosen looks bad in Miami (which, who wouldn't... but I'm talking from an accuracy point of view) and Kyler Murray looks like a legit NFL franchise quarterback. 

I'm not saying the play is DEFINITELY taking a quarterback. But I'm saying that doubling down on Haskins just because we drafted his this year is a great way to set this franchise back for the next half decade.

I don't want to imagine this team being in this state for the next several years.

I watches the Steelers play an undrafted rookie QB last week and they won in San Diego. He was coached up and played with moxie. Everything we all hoped would be the case with DH....

Its hard to believe DH today is the same guy who threw 50 TD's just a season ago at Ohio State...he looks awful. We missed big time on this pick...

55 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yall remember the days when Kirk Cousins needed 3 whole offseasons as a starter before we could make a decision on him? 

My my how times have changed lol

I agree with the spirit of the point but it's not exactly apples to apples.  Kirk borderline killed it in his limited appearances during the 2012 run.  Then he was bad in those 3 games in 2013.  Then up and down in the games he played in 2014.  But we saw flashes of good Kirk in that sample size. 

Haskins hasn't had a game like Kirk's limited spot duty in Baltimore or Cleveland.  Kirk showed flashes right away.

Having said that, Kirk actually got a full start to shine.  Haskins has just been on mop up duty.  That's unfair to Haskins IMO.  I think Haskins needs 5 games or so at least to show what he's got this season.  If he plays in a game or two like Kirk did against Cleveland than that's enough for me to ride it some more.  I am just looking for flashes.  If he plays full game after full game like he has in his limited stints thus far -- then I don't think its crazy to go fish again in the 2020 draft.

I am back and forth on Haskins.  Right before the draft, my last take on him was that I was down on him.  But he certainly has talent, he can potentially harness it.  Also I've talked about on this thread from my limited exposure to him in camp, etc -- he comes off like a really good dude.  So I am rooting for him.  I think its silly to throw in the towel based on what we've seen thus far.  it's way too limited.  But I do think if eventually he starts, we need to see some flashes -- and to your point if Haskins has a similar game to Kirk's debut against Cleveland it would be plenty for me to buy into the potential. 

10 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Cardale Jones started 11 games in college before getting drafted by the Bills.  He is now out of the NFL after "sitting and learning" for 4 years.  Sitting and learning will do nothing but delay a true assessment of Haskins.  

He's in the XFL for the DC Defenders.

We should trade the Skins, Bruce, and Danny to the XFL for the Defenders

28 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I had hoped the team did due diligence in that department and selected him based on their belief that he was a quick learner and could pick it all up quickly.

And you can't possibly be surprised because it is the Dan Snyderskins after all.

I get needing to wait a bit, but no first round pick should be this much of a project. He's been taking reps with the starters in practice due to Keenum's vet days off and injuries. He's shown little to no improvement. This is coming from someone who was very much in favor of the pick on draft day...

While we're at it, Sweat doesn't look like much out there either...

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

And you can't possibly be surprised because it is the Dan Snyderskins after all.

Not the least bit surprised.

Don’t let hope be confused with realistic points of view. 

As a fan, I have access to videos and no access to the prospect. So I have to go by what I hear about a player’s mental makeup. 

Which means operating on a level that I have to hope the team covers that aspect.

Haskins is exactly what he was in college mechanically and from a read standpoint. And if I knew he took this long to pick up on things I’d have stood from the top of a mountain screaming not to draft him. 

But we operate from where we know and all I knew was physically he needed work but had a ton of upside.

Time to let him sink or swim.  The plan of Case getting us to the bye week isn't working.  Either dress Colt as the backup, and stick to a plan, or give the kid the bulk of practice reps, and plan for him to start.  

Focus on his development, and a game plan that limits his exposure.  

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with the spirit of the point but it's not exactly apples to apples.  Kirk borderline killed it in his limited appearances during the 2012 run.  Then he was bad in those 3 games in 2013.  Then up and down in the games he played in 2014.  But we saw flashes of good Kirk in that sample size. 

Haskins hasn't had a game like Kirk's limited spot duty in Baltimore or Cleveland.  Kirk showed flashes right away.

Having said that, Kirk actually got a full start to shine.  Haskins has just been on mop up duty.  That's unfair to Haskins IMO.  I think Haskins needs 5 games or so at least to show what he's got this season.  If he plays in a game or two like Kirk did against Cleveland than that's enough for me to ride it some more.  I am just looking for flashes.  If he plays full game after full game like he has in his limited stints thus far -- then I don't think its crazy to go fish again in the 2020 draft.

I am back and forth on Haskins.  Right before the draft, my last take on him was that I was down on him.  But he certainly has talent, he can potentially harness it.  Also I've talked about on this thread from my limited exposure to him in camp, etc -- he comes off like a really good dude.  So I am rooting for him.  I think its silly to throw in the towel based on what we've seen thus far.  it's way too limited.  But I do think if eventually he starts, we need to see some flashes -- and to your point if Haskins has a similar game to Kirk's debut against Cleveland it would be plenty for me to buy into the potential. 

I agree with this all the way. I do think Kirk had a much better team than Haskins does right now in 2012 to come in and play spot duty for. As much as I love AD(AP?) he is not Alf Morris in 2012. You could stack the box against Alf and it wouldnt matter. And I feel like our play calling was loads better then as well, though we both know I dont really know what im talking about there. My argument, if I have one, is that it was easier for Kirk to flash because he had more opportunity to with the defense focused else ware. I dont remember who our WRs at the time were or who was at TE so, again, thats how I feel. May not be how it actually was. 

Haskins has for sure been a disappointment. I wanted to think he would at least be mentally ready to get into a game at this point, but I dont see him makeing good decisions. That one pass he got to AP over the middle should have been a pick. The LB played him for a fool and only didnt get it because he missed. That was about as stupid a decision as you can make, and I wanted to think that he would be able to avoid those. But -- hes not ready. 

I just want to see the dude get a real chance to fail or win. Right now I feel like he hasnt been prepared and thats frustrating. I know he wants to win it. He almost sweats desire. He also is a kid so it may be too much for him. I dunno man. But I know I need to see him more to figure it out. I am totally rooting for him just like I am any Redskin. I say on here I want them to lose sometimes, but when im watching the game I cant help but root for them. I even rooted for Kirk and I thought he was a douche 

8 hours ago, FrFan said:

Wow. Everyone needs to chill.

Have people already forgotten the 1,000 picks Kirk threw his first year in Gruden’s system ( some extremely ugly picks in that bunch too)? That he did this after being a 4-year starter at QB in college?  That he did this in his 3rd year in the league?  Yet people are crucifying Haskins in his second career game, who hasn’t even started yet, with one year of college experience under his belt?

Fans disgust me sometimes. 

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Have people already forgotten the 1,000 picks Kirk threw his first year in Gruden’s system ( some extremely ugly picks in that bunch too)? That he did this after being a 4-year starter at QB in college?  That he did this in his 3rd year in the league?  Yet people are crucifying Haskins in his second career game, who hasn’t even started yet, with one year of college experience under his belt?

I'm worrying since he didn't show any sign of the slightest improvement so far, and worst of all he's a Snyder pick. Good luck to him anyways.

Based on the limited data set so far, Haskins looks like another in the long line of big-armed guys with no feel for the pro game whom teams regularly draft for "potential." Far better-run teams than the Redskins have fallen victim to this. They rarely work out.

I'd be ready to move on if I had any confidence in the FO not to screw it up again.

Haskins hasn't played much, but you already see the signs.

Definitely not casting my vote for bust or not yet simply because I dont think he was prepared to go in. Now is that his fault or coaching? 

Plus if memory serves me correctly Payton Manning wasnt exactly stellar his first couple years either.

12 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Definitely not casting my vote for bust or not yet simply because I dont think he was prepared to go in. Now is that his fault or coaching? 

Plus if memory serves me correctly Payton Manning wasnt exactly stellar his first couple years either.

Honestly poor comparison.

Manning looked the part. Mechanically, etc. He missed a few throws, made a few bad decisions. But his mechanics and placement were good. Lots of room for optimism. 

12 minutes ago, Xameil said:

From Wikipedia:

In his NFL debut, Manning was 21-of-37 for 302 passing yards for one touchdown and three interceptions. He threw his first career touchdown, a six-yard pass to Marvin Harrison, in the fourth quarter of the 24–15 loss.[90] In Week 4, against the New Orleans Saints, he threw a 78-yard touchdown pass to Marshall Faulk in the 19–13 loss.[91] Manning's first win came against fellow rookie Leaf, 17–12 over the San Diego Chargers in Week 5.[92] Two weeks later, Manning faced off against Steve Young; he threw three touchdowns, tying a Colts rookie record, but the 49ers kicked a late field goal to win 34–31.[93] In November against the New York Jets, Manning threw for three touchdowns in a 24–23 win; he was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for this performance.[94] It was the first game-winning drive of Manning's career, as he threw the game-winning touchdown pass to Marcus Pollard.[87][95] Manning was certainly a bright spot in the 1998 season for the Colts with 3,739 passing yards and 26 passing touchdowns, but he also threw a league high 28 interceptions as the team struggled to a 3–13 record with a defense that gave up more than 27 points per game.

So far from our limited sample size, Haskins is not looking even close to what Manning looked like in his rookie season

40 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yet people are crucifying Haskins in his second career game, who hasn’t even started yet, with one year of college experience under his belt?

Fans aren't crucifying Haskins, they are crucifying the organization (namely Snyder & Allen) for drafting a 4th-5th round QB at #15 overall.  

41 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That tweet by Al Galdi is likely an Alex Smith injury away from never happening. 

I am not surprised certain people will see last night and immediately jump to "Wow look at Cousins!"  As if anyone ever denied that Cousins can be a good QB......at times. 

Archived