Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@KDawg  Totally fair.  I agree about his sideline demeanor in the sense that he should be sitting/talking with a coach most of the time and should listen to everything Keenum is being told.  

The bottom line is whether he is refusing to do those things or doesn’t know better.  If it’s the former, that’s concerning because it points to an attitude issue.  My hope in that case would be that humility (as in being humiliated) serves him well.  If it’s because he doesn’t realize that’s how he should behave, well, that’s concerning too.  We’ve all grown up watching football and seeing the backup hovering.  If he doesn’t know/realize though, that’s something he can correct (and hopefully his coaches get in his ear about it).  So I guess I have some optimism that those tendencies can and will change, but I’m definitely keeping it in the back of my mind that he might just not be a guy that we want on this team.  

Damn it @Llevron, once again I couldn’t decide how to respond.  I’m laughing with you and sad for you bro.  

I have zero slant or bias, but is it the norm for the young QB to hover over the starting QB or talk with coaches during a game?

I know the older designated back up QB will engage, appearing tasked with job to help the young QB. Or the injured franchise QB (one thats set to return sometime in the season) will be on the sideline actively engaged in the game, due to being set to return and wanting the team to win. 

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

It's also a huge red flag and I wouldn't want someone like that on the team.

There's that too.  Seems awful whiny.  I mean if Jay was really the big bad wolf that didn't want to invest in him, he's gone now.  

That said, who knows what the hell really goes on at Redskins Park, particularly related to quarterbacks.  It's always some drama for one reason or another.  Haskins could just be another in a line of folks that were never provided the appropriate structure and tools to develop.

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't buy into your optimism. 

When I see Rattay or KOC sitting down next to Keenum going over film and I see Haskins 3 feet down the bench, facing the opposite direction, with his hand up on the bench like he's lounging, I don't see a guy who wants to improve.

Other times Keenum is on the bench with coach and Haskins is up and standing around. He should be right next to Keenum. Even if he doesn't think he needs that info, he should be there. It helps with public opinion... which makes people more tolerable.

He hasn't been doing the right things when he is on camera, and that's scary when it takes so little effort. Maybe it's different behind the scenes. But the results so far don't look like that's the case.

I don't agree with the starter/backup ****, either.

He should be preparing like he's the starter every week. He's gotten reps with the 1s with Keenum injured. At this point I think that's just the fanbase holding on to some semblance of hope. 

I noticed that **** about Haskins early on in the season and it bothered me. Never seen QB's have that spaced out look on the sidelines before. It was alarming.

This is all just too much now to chalk up to needing to get reps, or tighten up on some reads. He's a scared looking for his mommy on the freeway.  I mean, sure, see what you have, get him some experience, whatever, but I feel like now, we all know what we have, and now it's just a question of whether or not we're willing to accept it.

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I have zero slant or bias, but is it the norm for the young QB to hover over the starting QB or talk with coaches during a game?

I know the older designated back up QB will engage, appearing tasked with job to help the young QB. Or the injured franchise QB (one thats set to return sometime in the season) will be on the sideline actively engaged in the game, due to being set to return and wanting the team to win. 

Why does it matter if it’s normal or not?

What would be the reason for NOT sitting near the guy in the game and listening to him and the coach discuss what’s going on in the flow of the game? It’s experience. As a tight ends coach I listened to those interactions when I could. 

19 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

You are pretty much saying that you think he’s going to be a bust. Yet you go on a rant about me tripping for saying the same thing in more definitive terms. (Good rant by the way. The follow up about your fiancé was pretty hilarious. Lol)

Its hard not to think he has the chance to bust, yea. And I think there is alot more to it than his attitude, but that does concern me. But to be so sure of it right now its silly seeing as how hes had less than a games worth of work. However, that's your prerogative homie. People have had bad games and recovered. He has had 4 bad quarters and is a bust? 

My rant is about all the extra non football **** folks have been going in about. I can argue football all day. But silly **** like saying he forced Thiesman into giving up his number like he is some kind of dark wizard genie that dan rubbed out of his magic lamp for the sole reason of making joe thiesman sad and impotent is just out there and makes it impossible to discuss football. And then all the digs on his grammar are silly too. hes a child yall are grown ass men. 

I like reading yall talk football. Do that 

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

He looks bad but he’s only played in relief duty. 

I don’t understand why they don’t start him the rest of the way. If he’s that raw that he can’t even start for this awful team, then he isn’t worth the long term investment.

They seem to still be holding out hope they can turn the season around or do noticeably better with a broke Keenum. 

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What would be the reason for NOT sitting near the guy in the game and listening to him and the coach discuss what’s going on in the flow of the game? It’s experience. As a tight ends coach I listened to those interactions when I could. 

Reminds me of a dude I know at work who was too smart to study the Security+ with the group. He ended up taking it 4 times we all passed it on the first go. Seriously that upsets me. 

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There's that too.  Seems awful whiny.  I mean if Jay was really the big bad wolf that didn't want to invest in him, he's gone now.  

That said, who knows what the hell really goes on at Redskins Park, particularly related to quarterbacks.  It's always some drama for one reason or another.  Haskins could just be another in a line of folks that were never provided the appropriate structure and tools to develop.

This reminds me of Griffin and Shanny. Remember Griffin was convinced Shanny was the bad guy here. When really it was the dark master upstairs 

Edit: @SoCalSkins she knew she messed up when she said it. I told her we dont have to be together and she fixed it lollolcrycrycrylololol

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I agree from an outsider perspective it would seem like it should be the norm. 

Im always in search of some sort of spectrum as a whole to assist with better understanding how things are done in the NFL.

Trying to remember if Kirk was engaged during his days here as a backup—Drawing blanks though. 

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is a far reach to defend the kid.

I mean at the end of the day, whatever it is we think we're seeing may mean nothing at all.  But to think that he was just some big sponge that that has called it quits until they find some coaches who love him is a bit dramatic my friend.

I dont think hes called it quits, but discouraged from dealing with people that dont want him, yes, I can see that.  They treating him like a 5 year vet instead of someone they knew needed special attention to met their potential.  Hes here now, do we need to set ourselves up for another revenge game in the future because we lost patience we didnt have in the first place?

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I agree from an outsider perspective it would seem like it should be the norm. 

Im always in search of some sort of spectrum as a whole to assist with better understanding how things are done in the NFL.

Trying to remember if Kirk was engaged during his days here as a backup—Drawing blanks though. 

Kirk was engaged but he was never happy when the other QB was having success on the field. 

I was one of those that thought they should sit him for a long time and be patient and cautious with exposing Haskins but it has been a half a season so now I think it is time they wheeled Haskins out ready or not and provided him an opportunity to show what he has learned and let him get some game experience.  He hasn't been given an opportunity to play because we have been told he isn't ready but we are not provided details.  Even if they have to provide him with a very limited package they should play him now to see if he can be developed.  No one should expect him to play well but we should see some flashes of talent and some growth over a few games.  

We have gotten a few peeks at him during the preseason and a couple of halves in relief.   I thought his preseason performances were somewhat encouraging whereas his relief appearances were unimpressive and a cause of concern.  Haskins relief appearances are nothing like Cousins coming off the bench in 2012, it was clear Cousin understood what he was supposed to do and had some talent.   Haskins needs an opportunity to reassure the Skins he can be developed and they should commit to developing him.  

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont think hes called it quits, but discouraged from dealing with people that dont want him, yes, I can see that.  They treating him like a 5 year vet instead of someone they knew needed special attention to met their potential.  Hes here now, do we need to set ourselves up for another revenge game in the future because we lost patience we didnt have in the first place?

Is it his fault that Bruce and Dan chose to draft him into this **** show that they created?  Absolutely not.  But it’s never a good look to wear it in your actions.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Is it his fault that Bruce and Dan chose to draft him into this **** show that they created?  Absolutely not.  But it’s never a good look to wear it in your actions.

I hate this, some how we've found a way to blame the victim in this and decided the solution is to find another victim.  Dude has clearly cracked a little, now is not the time to pile on.  Someone needs to pull him aside like you would a 22 year old project, this is as a grey situation as I've ever seen here.  I dont like where this is going it solves nothing even if you're right.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I hate this, some how we've found a way to blame the victim in this and decided the solution is to find another victim.  Dude has clearly cracked a little, now is not the time to pile on.  Someone needs to pull him aside like you would a 22 year old project, this is as a grey situation as I've ever seen here.  I dont like where this is going it solves nothing even if you're right.

I'd agree with your take more... honestly, because I think you make some stellar points, if you didn't (seemingly) absolve Haskins of any of this. This is on his shoulders, too. He hasn't made any real strides in any feasible way. Sure, his situation sucks. Sure, I feel bad for him that he landed like this. Sure, I hate that people were calling him a bust from day one. Sure, the guy still deserves a shot. Agreed with all of it.

But he has to be accountable to his own lack of improvement. Franchise guys are NEVER the kind of people who think they are blameless.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Victim?????? The dude was drafted in the top half of the first round by one of the most valuable sports franchises on earth. He was handpicked by the owner over the objections of the football scouts. Yet he’s the victim???

He’s a smug coddled arrogant bust who compares himself to Brees, Brady and Rodgers and expects to be inducted into the pro football hall of fame. 

The only victims are the coaches he will get fired and the fans who endure watching him come apart on the field. He’s no victim. He is a fraud...

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Not sure who you are directing this at.    I don’t think the story on Haskins is written by any stretch.  But the fact of the matter is, for any chance to be successful here, a QB must show the ability to deal with BS.  It’s an absolute certainty to exist.  All I’m saying is that he hasn’t shown anything to this point in his very short career that leads one to believe it will be no sweat for him.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd agree with your take more... honestly, because I think you make some stellar points, if you didn't (seemingly) absolve Haskins of any of this. This is on his shoulders, too. He hasn't made any real strides in any feasible way. Sure, his situation sucks. Sure, I feel bad for him that he landed like this. Sure, I hate that people were calling him a bust from day one. Sure, the guy still deserves a shot. Agreed with all of it.

But he has to be accountable to his own lack of improvement. Franchise guys are NEVER the kind of people who think they are blameless.

More then fair.  I shouldnt be trying to take this completely off him, I just will not support putting this completely on him.

13 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Victim?????? The dude was drafted in the top half of the first round by one of the most valuable sports franchises on earth. He was handpicked by the owner over the objections of the football scouts. Yet he’s the victim???

He’s a smug coddled arrogant bust who compares himself to Brees, Brady and Rodgers and expects to be inducted into the pro football hall of fame. 

The only victims are the coaches he will get fired and the fans who endure watching him come apart on the field. He’s no victim. He is a fraud...

What in the hell are you talking about?  If I'm trying to hard too defend him, you are trying too hard to put a spear through his chest.

The only reason you don't start him is you are worried he is an epic bust in the making and that will be exposed, making you look bad (again). So instead you keep him on the bench for the rest of the year and possibly even next year behind an ancient Smith and insist he is learning. 

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

How did you get that from this?

“It’s easy to look at the rookie class and be like, ‘Rookies are playing, why am I not playing?’ I want to be like Tom Brady and Drew Brees and that’s something that doesn’t happen overnight. Tom didn’t play at first; Aaron Rodgers didn’t play at first,” Haskins said.

"I know I can play well and play at a high level," Haskins said. "But I want to keep getting better. I feel I can be really, really good. I want to be a great quarterback, one of those guys you talk about for years to come. That's not going to happen overnight.

"Everyone has a different path and journey. That's good for [the other rookies] and that's the situation they're in and I'm not."

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39060/redskins-backup-dwayne-haskins-unfazed-patiently-awaits-his-chance

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not sure who you are directing this at.    I don’t think the story on Haskins is written by any stretch.  But the fact of the matter is, for any chance to be successful here, a QB must show the ability to deal with BS.  It’s an absolute certainty to exist.  All I’m saying is that he hasn’t shown anything to this point in his very short career that leads one to believe it will be no sweat for him.

Not everything has to be directed at an individual,  I try my best to quote people when I do.  

My biggest problem, and I'm seeing this on multiple threads now, is this idea that throwing a project QB into this cluster**** and getting the almost textbook results possible makes him a bust.  All we heard about was this guys character, saying the right things, now hes selfish and only thinks about himself, doesn't know how to deal with adversity? 

This franchise is about to ruin his career before it even starts and he knows it, we all know it.  I dont want to see him sulking, but it's better then seeing him making anonymous comments to the media.  He looks like someone who doesnt know what to do, I want to hear an update from Shawn Springs and what hes telling him.

Getting another rookie wont solve why this situation is failing, well be making a new thread in the same topic if we try to replace him before making sure this really isnt going to work. 

Do we even trust Callahan to develop him properly anyway?  We dont have the resources to be drafting QBs we cant develop every couple years, this situation needs a systematic change for any of them to stand a chance.  That's why even if he is a bust, we shouldnt rush to replace him, hes on a cheap contract with a team option.

17 minutes ago, megared said:

When 20 percent of his throws in the NFL are interceptions. No he can’t play at a high level now. No he will never be great and no he should never mention himself with those guys ever. He can go sulk on the sideline with his victim mentality and cry about how the Redskins ruined him when he’s out of the NFL in 3 or 4 years...

5 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

When 20 percent of his throws in the NFL are interceptions. No he can’t play at a high level now. No he will never be great and no he should never mention himself with those guys ever. He can go sulk on the sideline with his victim mentality and cry about how the Redskins ruined him when he’s out of the NFL in 3 or 4 years...

Two of first three (giants game) weren't his fault, one was a tipped pass out of a receivers hands if I remember.  If he busts, it wont be because the NFL ruined him, it'll be because the Redskins did 

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Two of first three weren't his fault, one was a tipped pass out of a receivers hands if I remember.  If he busts, it wont be because the NFL ruined him, it'll be because the Redskins did 

He sucks. You have eyes. Quit being an apologist and be objective.

if the Redskins ruin quarterbacks then there should be many examples where they came into the NFL to the Redskins where they were horrid then went elsewhere to find great success. Yet there are none. 

The simple fact is that he sucks like a long line of players who sucked before him.

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

So your expectation is for him to come in, and turn the team around this season?  This is a bad team...placing that on the shoulders of a rookie, that's only played clean up duty twice in a lost season reeks of ulterior motives.  

Whether he busts or booms, it's more important to develop him versus relying on an inconsistent Keenum.  

2 minutes ago, megared said:

So your expectation is for him to come in, and turn the team around this season?  This is a bad team...placing that on the shoulders of a rookie, that's only played clean up duty twice in a lost season reeks of ulterior motives.  

Whether he busts or booms, it's more important to develop him versus relying on an inconsistent Keenum.  

My expectation of a first round draft pick in taken in the top half of the first round who had a 50 touchdown to 8 interception college season is to be minimally competent to play on a 1-5 team with an interim coach in a lost season. 

Yet he throws horrid picks in 20% of his throws. Is disengaged and uninterested when not playing on the sideline and makes statements about getting inducted to the hall of fame and comparing himself to the best quarterbacks in this league. 

He believes he’s arrived. He doesn’t want to put in the work and he’s already contributed to the firing of one NFL coach. 

Probably the worst possible start you can have in a career. Nothing about him gives even a hint of hope. The dude is a lost cause. He is an absolute bust. 

Archived