Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Having coached Tyrod I see the total opposite from DH.  (I wish Tyrod had DH's height and arm strength).  Tyrod was always engaged and trying to learn even in Baltimore.  Unfortunately, he has Colt's disease; can't stay healthy.  Even though he had some good success in college he didn't act like he knew it all. 

The words that come to mind when I see DH on the sideline are aloof, overconfident, and sometimes disinterested.  At times when KOC is talking to him his eyes are elsewhere.  That's a bad sign.  Anytime you're talking to a person and they look away they're pretty much letting you know that you're not important to them.  He comes across as a kid who has been coddled because he was probably always taller and stronger than most kids his age.  In the NFL, almost every player was superior to their peers.  But they still developed a work ethic.  

You'd think that McLaurin would be one of his boys having played with him at Ohio State.  But if you watch the body language you can see another story.  Especially after DH called that timeout when he couldn't get the play called.  You can see Terry's frustration in his body language.  

Kdawg has pointed out the lack of mechanics over and over and he's dead on - balls accurate.  Apart from his awful footwork you can see that his throwing mechanics are also off.  Aikmen pointed out his issue on the high interception to a wide open McLaurin.  He drops his elbow.  That causes the ball to sail.  The best throwing motion comes over the top.  See Drew Brees who is probably the most accurate QB in the NFL.  (You should see the video where he out dueled an Olympic archer by going 10 for 10 on bullseyes).  Like Tebow and Leftwich DH will always revert to his bad habit when he's stressed in a game.  You can't break that habit now.  It's too late.  And why the hell should a team have to teach a 1st round pick basic mechanics?!?!?!  But, Dan wanted to dazzle and distract with a local kid.  

His mechanics are bad but his command of the offense is worse!  He clearly was responsible for the keystone cops routine where Trey Quinn and the rest of the skills players were utterly lost.  

Regardless, he needs to play.  Get him all the reps with the starters and see what you have.  If he's not the guy then don't be stupid and stubborn about it (although we all know Bruce and Dan will no doubt dig their heels and insist that he's the future regardless).  A first round pick doesn't need 3 years.  In eight games any other organization would know what to do.  Hell, even the Arz Cards were smart enough to figure it out about Rosen.  You have some really good QBs coming out this year.  Go get one of them if DH can't show improvement.  Otherwise, you set this franchise back even more.  

The game is coming too fast and he’s made some bad mistakes.  The speed causes a regression of mechanics and uncertainty.  The mistakes lead to holding the ball too long and throwing late.  Only a lot of reps can help him trust his eyes and cement (better) mechanics.  Doesn’t have to be game reps, in fact, it’s probably more difficult to dig yourself out of that hole when the pressure is on.  

I do think his spot duty can help him see what needs to change.  Probably no one wants to hear it, but I think the FO will continue to let him develop and plan on Smith and Haskins ‘competing’ next camp.  This is, understandably, going going to drive a lot of people nuts, but at least we’ll have a chance at a really good player like Chase Young.  Really, I don’t think it was far off from their original plan - Smith starts in 2018 and then in 2019 while a rook develops behind him.  His injury put a wrench in that plan.  I’m frustrated with the FO, but I’m still willing to be patient with Haskins (even though the signs all point in the wrong direction).

I don’t really understand why Haskins isn’t sitting with Rattay or whoever throughout the games.  He’s said he wants to give Keenum space, but he can still be actively learning/participating without breathing down Case’s (or O’Connell’s) neck.  Hopefully someone gives him direction there.  We have a lot of former backups - I hope they don’t just wonder why Haskins behaves differently and instead explain what he should be doing.  

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I get needing to wait a bit, but no first round pick should be this much of a project. He's been taking reps with the starters in practice due to Keenum's vet days off and injuries. He's shown little to no improvement. This is coming from someone who was very much in favor of the pick on draft day...

While we're at it, Sweat doesn't look like much out there either...

Man, he was delusional being upset he didnt go 6th overall. Forget the 6th pick, he's lucky he didnt go in the 6th round as far behind as he seems to be.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Whether he will or wont be a bust, my enthusiasm for watching him play has taken a big hit.  I'm just kinda "meh" right now.  

I have no idea what goes on during the week, or how hard he's studying when he goes home, but that shot of the QBs and KOC studiously reviewing information between series bothered me.  Colt is in street clothes, knows the offense like the back of his hand, might never take another snap, he really shouldnt give a crap.  But his nose was in there like he was about to go in the game.  Haskins was lord knows where, not involved. 

Listen, could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for it, it was just one shot during a long game, but regardless, it didnt sit right.  And then when he goes out and struggles, my mind goes back to moments like that.  

The coaches handed him the backup role so he would be 1 play away and maybe would show some interest in his own development. Apparently they were completely wrong. You have a smug player who believes he is a future hall of famer hanging out by his disinterested self on the sideline in a prime time game without any interaction with the other quarterbacks or coaches.

If I had to guess I would presume it’s because he is super delusional and overconfident with himself and his abilities. It could also be that he knows he’s a complete fraud and is in over his head. Either way there is no hope for him. He’s done...

Have to play him the rest of the way. Do whatever they can to get him comfortable. He looks completely lost in limited action.

And they need to be brutally honest about what they really think about him in the offseason. If deep down they think they really whiffed, the worst thing they can do is not admit that and pass on a QB they love in this year's draft.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I get needing to wait a bit, but no first round pick should be this much of a project. He's been taking reps with the starters in practice due to Keenum's vet days off and injuries. He's shown little to no improvement. This is coming from someone who was very much in favor of the pick on draft day...

While we're at it, Sweat doesn't look like much out there either...

Did you see the Sweat tv commercial last night?  He should focus on improving before he does tv commercials.

This is also why you don’t let arrogant idiots who have never played a down in the NFL come in and corner former greats into giving up the moratorium on their numbers. If a player as worthless as Haskins can wear number 7 then anyone should be issued any number. He owes Joe Theismann a huge apology for disrespecting his number...

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

This is also why you don’t let arrogant idiots who have never played a down in the NFL come in and corner former greats into giving up the moratorium on their numbers. If a player as worthless as Haskins can wear number 7 then anyone should be issued any number. He owes Joe Theismann a huge apology for disrespecting his number...

They should have retired it if thats how it was going to be. Honestly, they have a bunch of numbers they should retire but they wont for some silly reason. Or maybe they know something I dont. 

I think its a bit much to call it disrespect though. He asked him. He could have said no. He should have said no if hes as horrible of a person yall are making him sound like. Seriously, it cant all be Haskins fault. Hes been here for months. The redskins a sucked for years.

Yall need Jesus 

@ThomasRoane  Is it really too late to change mechanics?  Goes against everything I’ve ever seen/heard, but I have a lot of respect for your knowledge/experience.  

From my perspective, if I can learn footwork for martial arts or new soccer footwork into my forties, I’d have thought a youngster would be able to change.   

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

They should have retired it if thats how it was going to be. Honestly, they have a bunch of numbers they should retire but they wont for some silly reason. Or maybe they know something I dont. 

I think its a bit much to call it disrespect though. He asked him. He could have said no. He should have said no if hes as horrible of a person yall are making him sound like. Seriously, it cant all be Haskins fault. Hes been here for months. The redskins a sucked for years.

Yall need Jesus 

Joe made a dumb comment about Haskins English on the Doc Walker show. He was forced to let him have the number after that. The blowback would have been brutal otherwise...

I think some of the blame is clearly frustration and anger over the Skins state.

I encourage everyone to look into what's in front of us. Let your eyes tell you what's going on.

Then reason stuff out... "okay it looks like this... but why would they do this?"

We'll all still have bad takes. I sure as **** do from time to time, but at least they're well reasoned.

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

@ThomasRoane  Is it really too late to change mechanics?  Goes against everything I’ve ever seen/heard, but I have a lot of respect for your knowledge/experience.  

From my perspective, if I can learn footwork for martial arts or new soccer footwork into my forties, I’d have thought a youngster would be able to change.   

Yes and no.

Your body adapts over time to your mechanics. Not just from a mental standpoint, but from the way your body moves. You have to retrain these patterns over time. But any time you rehash back to old bad habits, you've set the mechanic path back. If you constantly regress when you see a live rush, you're gong to struggle changing anything.

13 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Joe made a dumb comment about Haskins English on the Doc Walker show. He was forced to let him have the number after that. The blowback would have been brutal otherwise...

Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You are telling me a grown as man with millions of dollars was FORCED to do something he had no intention of doing because of public perception? On the Doc Walker show LOL. Who even knows what that is. If the world worked like that Dan would be gone by now. The fact of the matter is he didnt stand up for himself and he lost his number. 

You have to take responsibility for your actions. So does Haskins. So does Theisman. Thats how the world works. If Theisman wanted the number he had every option and reason to keep it. But instead of coming to that conclusion you decide its Haskins, a literal child by comparison in age and stature, who is the "arrogant idiot" and "worthless" one in the situation. And that HE owes thiesman the apology, when in your own understanding of the situation thiesman only gave it up because he said something stupid. 

Dawg just be fair. Haskins sucks. But come on. You aint even being honest. You are just raging. You dont have to be this way and it doesn't change anything at all. It just makes the only thing we have going for us as Redskins fan -- fair and honest discussion -- ****ing impossible. You need to check yourself for real. We can disagree and still communicate. But you are trippin. 

Also if that comment was so dumb, then why are so many in here doing the same thing. Its ignorant and beneath you. Hes a child. many of you are adults and speak worse, cant spell, have bad grammar AND spend your free time talking to my dumb ass on a message board. Seriously get a ****ing grip and atleast talk about football. 

Ok, yeah, that’s how I see it.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I think he needs tons of reps to cement better mechanics.  My hope is that his mechanics have improved, but that getting thrown into the game (and all that comes with that) have caused a regression to his previous habits.  Of course, it could be that he just hasn’t improved them at all.  

I’ve maintained that he (any qb) can learn a lot by sitting - things that he can get a good handle on that leave him with less to think about in-game.  While I consider mechanics one of those things, I imagine he’ll need to get other things down, evaluate his performance (mechanics-wise) after each outing, and go into subsequent games with that in his mind.  Takes away from that goal of not overthinking on the field, but I think that’s what it’ll take to see marked improvement.  Again, as I said/implied earlier, with the mistakes he’s made, his discomfort/lack of experience, it’s likely be going to be real tough for him to overcome.  

@Llevron I couldn’t decide whether to give that post a ‘like’, ‘laugh’ or ‘thanks’.  Well done man - self- deprecating, ranty, reasonable and funny all at once. :)

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Ok, yeah, that’s how I see it.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I think he needs tons of reps to cement better mechanics.  My hope is that his mechanics have improved, but that getting thrown into the game (and all that comes with that) have caused a regression to his previous habits.  Of course, it could be that he just hasn’t improved them at all.  

I’ve maintained that he (any qb) can learn a lot by sitting - things that he can get a good handle on that leave him with less to think about in-game.  While I consider mechanics one of those things, I imagine he’ll need to get other things down, evaluate his performance (mechanics-wise) after each outing, and go into subsequent games with that in his mind.  Takes away from that goal of not overthinking on the field, but I think that’s what it’ll take to see marked improvement.  Again, as I said/implied earlier, with the mistakes he’s made, his discomfort/lack of experience, it’s likely be going to be real tough for him to overcome.  

I don't buy into your optimism. 

When I see Rattay or KOC sitting down next to Keenum going over film and I see Haskins 3 feet down the bench, facing the opposite direction, with his hand up on the bench like he's lounging, I don't see a guy who wants to improve.

Other times Keenum is on the bench with coach and Haskins is up and standing around. He should be right next to Keenum. Even if he doesn't think he needs that info, he should be there. It helps with public opinion... which makes people more tolerable.

He hasn't been doing the right things when he is on camera, and that's scary when it takes so little effort. Maybe it's different behind the scenes. But the results so far don't look like that's the case.

I don't agree with the starter/backup ****, either.

He should be preparing like he's the starter every week. He's gotten reps with the 1s with Keenum injured. At this point I think that's just the fanbase holding on to some semblance of hope. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't buy into your optimism. 

When I see Rattay or KOC sitting down next to Keenum going over film and I see Haskins 3 feet down the bench, facing the opposite direction, with his hand up on the bench like he's lounging, I don't see a guy who wants to improve.

Other times Keenum is on the bench with coach and Haskins is up and standing around. He should be right next to Keenum. Even if he doesn't think he needs that info, he should be there. It helps with public opinion... which makes people more tolerable.

This is something I never get about the Redskins. How on earth can they not understand how PR works at this point. They should have figured it out though error by now. Have someone next to the dude at all times wispering this kind of **** in his ear. Its not hard. I would do it for ****ing free and it would at least LOOK better. 

He hasn't been doing the right things when he is on camera, and that's scary when it takes so little effort. Maybe it's different behind the scenes. But the results so far don't look like that's the case.

This is what scares me though. The rumors are hes not interested. He looks like hes not interested. He plays bad. I dont see this turning out well and its super disappointing. 

11 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Llevron I couldn’t decide whether to give that post a ‘like’, ‘laugh’ or ‘thanks’.  Well done man - self- deprecating, ranty, reasonable and funny all at once. :)

Its killing me man. I cant watch the game and be happy. My friends dont want to watch football anymore cause its depressing. Fiance slipped and said "MY Seahawks" last night and now the only place I can talk about football is ****ting themselves over a dude thats been here for 3 months!! 

There is literally nothing enjoyable about this anymore. And now ima have to make my fiance disappear. This isnt how its supposed to be lol 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I just want to see the dude get a real chance to fail or win. Right now I feel like he hasnt been prepared and thats frustrating. I know he wants to win it. He almost sweats desire. He also is a kid so it may be too much for him. I dunno man. But I know I need to see him more to figure it out. I am totally rooting for him just like I am any Redskin. I say on here I want them to lose sometimes, but when im watching the game I cant help but root for them. 

I know the feeling.  i am desperate to get a high draft pick in 2020 and would in theory prefer they go 2-14 versus go 6-10 -- it's the better shot to get rid of Bruce, better shot to get a stud in the draft.  But I physically can't root against them in any game while it's going on.  It's too ingrained for me to root for them. 

As for Haskins, I am sort of agnostic on him.  I am definitely not in the camp that he's a bum and let's start over.   I am also not in the camp of he's a franchise QB and lets ride this until he blossoms.  I am somewhere in the middle of those two camps.  I think it's silly to kill the dude for 2 mop up duty stints.    But at the same time, I do want to see some flashes eventually this season.  I expect ups and downs but I want to see some flashes.  

I've really had every young Qb's back here for the most part and it typically was about giving them some time to develop.  I feel no different on that count about Haskins.    I do get some people here wanting to see some flashes.  I do, too.  But to me two halves of mop up duty doesn't wrap up his whole future -- to each their own on that but to me it feels way premature. 

@KDawg  Totally fair.  I agree about his sideline demeanor in the sense that he should be sitting/talking with a coach most of the time and should listen to everything Keenum is being told.  

The bottom line is whether he is refusing to do those things or doesn’t know better.  If it’s the former, that’s concerning because it points to an attitude issue.  My hope in that case would be that humility (as in being humiliated) serves him well.  If it’s because he doesn’t realize that’s how he should behave, well, that’s concerning too.  We’ve all grown up watching football and seeing the backup hovering.  If he doesn’t know/realize though, that’s something he can correct (and hopefully his coaches get in his ear about it).  So I guess I have some optimism that those tendencies can and will change, but I’m definitely keeping it in the back of my mind that he might just not be a guy that we want on this team.  

Damn it @Llevron, once again I couldn’t decide how to respond.  I’m laughing with you and sad for you bro.  

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

As someone who has overall been unimpressed by what he's had to say since he was drafted, but doesn't harp on it because at the end of the day, it's just words and body language, I've tried to kind of overlook that stuff and just let the little bit I've seen him play do the talking.  But I'll be damned if I haven't been thinking the exact same thing watching him when he's not playing.  I keep trying to tell myself that i'm digging too deep into it, but then he comes out and looks so bad it's hard not to think it correlates.

Like I mentioned in another thread, in August all we heard was about him doing everything he could, staying late, poking his head in huddles.  I'm convinced that hes become completely discouraged because all that didnt matter and Jay didnt want to play him or develop him no matter what he did.  He doesnt look like a bust, he looks like someone waiting this situation out to see if everyone that didnt want him gets fired.  I expect to hear him ask for a trade at some point, like they bring Callahan back for next year.

24 minutes ago, Llevron said:

This is what scares me though. The rumors are hes not interested. He looks like hes not interested. He plays bad. I dont see this turning out well and its super disappointing. 

You are pretty much saying that you think he’s going to be a bust. Yet you go on a rant about me tripping for saying the same thing in more definitive terms. (Good rant by the way. The follow up about your fiancé was pretty hilarious. Lol)

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Like I mentioned in another thread, in August all we heard was about him doing everything he could, staying late, poking his head in huddles.  I'm convinced that hes become completely discouraged because all that didnt matter and Jay didnt want to play him or develop him no matter what he did.  He doesnt look like a bust, he looks like someone waiting this situation out to see if everyone that didnt want him gets fired.  I expect to hear him ask for a trade at some point, like they bring Callahan back for next year.

This is a far reach to defend the kid.

I mean at the end of the day, whatever it is we think we're seeing may mean nothing at all.  But to think that he was just some big sponge that that has called it quits until they find some coaches who love him is a bit dramatic my friend.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But to think that he was just some big sponge that that has called it quits until they find some coaches who love him is a bit dramatic my friend.

It's also a huge red flag and I wouldn't want someone like that on the team.

Archived