Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

"Don't allow your subjective judgement's to determine what is and what is not an impeachable offense."

- Alan Dershowitz

How in the **** is this douchebag an authority on constitutional law? Harvard should be embarrassed. 

50 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So Dershowitz’s argument is that Trump did something wrong, but it isn’t an impeachable offense.

I think his argument, based on the bit that I heard, is that the Framers of the Constitution spoke out about exactly what Trump did as something they were deeply worried about when discussing impeachable crimes, but didn't specifically write out "this is impeachable." Therefore, in Dershowitz's opinion there is actually no act that rises to the level of an impeachable offense. After all, if the Framers didn't stipulate that a, b, and c are impeachable than there is nothing a President can do that is impeachable because there are no stated impeachable offenses.

2 hours ago, Simmsy said:

But seriously, there is ZERO getaway plan? I mean, you're going to rob the bank? Ok. Then what?

Exactly. When you believe what the GOP shovels at you on a daily basis then they don’t need a getaway plan. 

their getaway plan is: well come up with something then, because those idiots believe whatever we tell them 

I am probably late to this news because I had a very busy weekend, but Bolton states in his book that he went directly to Barr concerned that Trump was doing favors for "autocrats" (polite word for dictators) around the world.  So naturally, Barr.............did nothing. 

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think his argument, based on the bit that I heard, is that the Framers of the Constitution spoke out about exactly what Trump did as something they were deeply worried about when discussing impeachable crimes, but didn't specifically write out "this is impeachable." Therefore, in Dershowitz's opinion there is actually no act that rises to the level of an impeachable offense. After all, if the Framers didn't stipulate that a, b, and c are impeachable than there is nothing a President can do that is impeachable because there are no stated impeachable offenses.

So, he's comparing the Framers to Susan Collins.  

They were deeply concerned about it, but they didn't actually vote to do anything about it.  

46 minutes ago, illone said:

Dershowitz: "Would any American today accept the legal system in which prosecutors could charge a citizen with abusive conduct? Can you imagine a crime -- abusive conduct?"

Vastly different from sexual harassment.  

46 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

State TV on an absolute tear tonight, like next level crazy. What a group of people we have to coexist with somehow.

(NSFW warning)

The further this goes on, the more frustrating it’s going to be when Trump walks away unscathed.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think his argument is that the framers wanted people to vote the president out unless he committed a criminal act.  What he’s charged with does not specifically state treason, this he can’t be impeached for it.

Im no constitutional lawyer but it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Let us never forget:

§30121. Contributions and donations by foreign nationals

(a) Prohibition

It shall be unlawful for-

(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make-

(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;

(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or

(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or

(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.

(b) "Foreign national" defined

As used in this section, the term "foreign national" means-

(1) a foreign principal, as such term is defined by section 611(b) of title 22, except that the term "foreign national" shall not include any individual who is a citizen of the United States; or

(2) an individual who is not a citizen of the United States or a national of the United States (as defined in section 1101(a)(22) of title 8) and who is not lawfully admitted for permanent residence, as defined by section 1101(a)(20) of title 8.

The House managers have done a pretty solid job with what they've got, but with the Bolton stuff, the House should immediately reconvene and pass a 3rd article of Impeachment specific to this statute, and then send it to the Senate.  This could all be done quickly enough to minimally inconvenience Mitch and his evil plans.

as far as sentiments go

i'm tired of all these great people dying while congressional/admin goper-vermin still walk the earth

i.e., why can't i wake up to read joni ernst fell into a wood chipper while visiting a constituent :(

also fun seeing those phoney pos goper heroes of beengassy---chaffetz and lankford---back on camera (outside of fox) so much...what an endless list there is of gopers who would serve the species best by their demise

now if only there was a picard-god who would say "make it so" :)

8 hours ago, Springfield said:

The further this goes on, the more frustrating it’s going to be when Trump walks away unscathed.

I never had any hope or desire that the Senate would actually remove Trump from office. The deck was stacked waayyy before any of this began.

The Repubs are all in, the last off ramp was passed years back, they have no option to bail out now. Their only hope is to see it through, to believe in the Fuehrer's plan to drive thru the Ardennes and capture Antwerp, they are incapable of admitting that they have not only lost, lost horribly, but have lost because of their own hubris, ineptitude and mendacity.

The most I wanted was to see was this drawn out in the Senate, get each and every one of them on the record defending and excusing it, admitting that there is nothing that would cause them to waver. This entire despicable embarrassment needs to be hung around their necks like the corpse of a skunk, reeking and roiling and making eyes water right up to the election.

I know people make comparisons to the Nazis far too often and far too easily, but in the respect of their blind loyalty past the point of sanity, the denial of reality long after the war was lost, their dismissal of the forces building against them there is simply no other acceptable metaphor. Rudolph Hess flew to Scotland to cut a deal, AFTER the Battle of Britain, after the Blitz, oblivious to the reality that the Brits were never gonna listen. Even von Stauffenberg planting the bomb was a delusional attempt by the generals to take over, AFTER D-Day, in the belief that they could pull it out, still deal. 

There will not, can not be a rational response from the Rabidlicans, they are infected, the disease has progressed too far.

3 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

why can't i wake up to read joni ernst fell into a wood chipper while visiting a constituent

As many times as necessary.......

10 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I never had any hope or desire that the Senate would actually remove Trump from office. The deck was stacked waayyy before any of this began.

Yep. I keep falling into the temporary frame of mind that new revelations or the prospect of new witnesses will alter this dark timeline. Then I catch myself and re-realize that this man could indeed walk into the Senate chamber, pull down his pants, defecate on the Chief Justice, whip out a revolver and open fire on on all the camera operators, and the republican members of senate would all take on the premise that the victims were somehow corrupt and deserving of their horrible fate, hailing him a hero of the people.

1 hour ago, Chachie said:

Yep. I keep falling into the temporary frame of mind that new revelations or the prospect of new witnesses will alter this dark timeline. Then I catch myself and re-realize that this man could indeed walk into the Senate chamber, pull down his pants, defecate on the Chief Justice, whip out a revolver and open fire on on all the camera operators, and the republican members of senate would all take on the premise that the victims were somehow corrupt and deserving of their horrible fate, hailing him a hero of the people.

Yeah, I know, someone will step up, Comey will do the right thing, Mueller will stand tough, oh hell, the Chief Justice of the SCOTUS can't just sit there......pfffft

There was a time when I would have seen that as overly cynical, the 2015 Dave would flinch at some of things this 2020 Dave says, but he didn't know what was coming.

Lucky ****

<mod edit---a bit too far, tho arguably understandable>

Oooops............

Who should I make amends to?

Archived