Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

There was a suggestion in the Russia investigation thread to start a new one for impeachment. With the investigation now over and the SCO dissolved, the next phase begins. There is growing support among House Democrats and one lone Republican (Justin Amash) on starting impeachment hearings over the 11 counts of obstruction highlighted in the special counsel report.

18 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

There was a suggestion in the Russia investigation thread to start a new one for impeachment. With the investigation now over and the SCO dissolved, the next phase begins. There is growing support among House Democrats and one lone Republican (Justin Amash) on starting impeachment hearings over the 11 counts of obstruction highlighted in the special counsel report.

I'd add some more options to the poll.  Should he be impeached now, start impeachment hearings just to get things out then vote later, blindly follow whatever Pelosi says, wait for election 2020, etc....... 

I think that is where you will start seeing different opinions that will spark discussion. 

9 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'd add some more options to the poll.  Should he be impeached now, start impeachment hearings just to get things out then vote later, blindly follow whatever Pelosi says, wait for election 2020, etc....... 

I think that is where you will start seeing different opinions that will spark discussion. 

I think he should be impeached by the house and not confirmed by the senate so that the 2020 election can be a referendum of whether or not the country will continue its ever right sliding lean.

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I added a maybe option for those who are still on the fence. Don't want to modify the yes/no since some people have already voted.

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Whatever option gives Trump enough rope to hang himself...cause that’s the only way he’s going down.  

This is is a cult and he’s a cult leader.  Traditional methods may not function as intended.

Put me down for a cautious yes.

Well put. I don't see the GOP Senators allowing anything else.

Can you be impeached twice?  Or does double jeopardy apply there?  

Think of this scenario.  We start proceedings now, finish in time before the elections, and the Senate lets him off.  He wins the general election with the way the Electoral College is currently set up but the Dems keep the house and win the senate.  That would be the royal suck!

2 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Can you be impeached twice?  Or does double jeopardy apply there?  

Think of this scenario.  We start proceedings now, finish in time before the elections, and the Senate lets him off.  He wins the general election with the way the Electoral College is currently set up but the Dems keep the house and win the senate.  That would be the royal suck!

The way senate map is this year, if there's a miracle the dems take it back, its be impossible for Trump to have split votes he needs to stay in office.  

I voted yea because at this point its about Congress doing their job.  House shouldn't decide not to impeach because the senate won't, its abdication of responsibilities at that point, force the senate into more campaign ads of their support for Trump

I voted yes, but I also would vote yes to impeachment based purely on incompetence and danger to the union. 

Also, for clarification, I think he should also be removed from office. Not just impeached. 

Should he, as in, do his crimes warrant it?  Yes, unquestionably.

Should the house go forward with impeachment? No. As much as I hate Pelosi, she is right. There is no Jim Leach figure in today's GOP. There won't be the votes in the Senate, and Trump will use failure to convict to "prove" his innocence and the Fox/Trump narrative that he was the victim of a witch hunt.

3 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Should the house go forward with impeachment? No. As much as I hate Pelosi, she is right. There is no Jim Leach figure in today's GOP. There won't be the votes in the Senate, and Trump will use failure to convict to "prove" his innocence and the Fox/Trump narrative that he was the victim of a witch hunt.

I think even the disengaged sector of the public will know that impeachment votes happened across party lines.

2020 should be a referendum not just on Trump, but also his enablers in Congress. If the public approves of both even after impeachment hearings, so be it.

The public has already punished the GOP once for being Trump enablers. The Dems are giant ******* if they cave after the public elected them to hold Trump accountable.

2 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

You're not changing the minds of those mouth breathers watching fox news anyway. Forget about them. 

There is a constitutional duty to hold the President accountable and Dems have to uphold the duties that they were elected for. After 2018 midterms, failure to do so is a direct slap in the face to their base and will hurt momentum and turnout imo. They have to do it because it is the right thing to do and it is a political win as well. Get Rs on record supporting criminal behavior like obstruction. Use that in the elections in key Senate races and the general. Frame it as a party of corruption and good boys looking out for themselves and the wealthy regardless of legality, we all know there is plenty of evidence of that being exactly what it is. 

Use the impeachment to make the case to the American people and they will be rewarded imo with higher turnout. History will be our judge and we need to be on the right side of it. 

18 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

There won't be the votes in the Senate, and Trump will use failure to convict to "prove" his innocence and the Fox/Trump narrative that he was the victim of a witch hunt.

I could be wrong but doesn't the house vote to impeach (or "convict") and the Senate is just a vote to remove from office or not.  Right?

He should be impeached. But when making the case, the Democrats need to explain this to people like they're children, because that's the reality of our electorate. 

1. "I was elected to lead, not to read" is one of those jokes that is uncomfortably true about us. Unless it's a status update, we don't read. How many people on the board actually read the Mueller report? Assume that the people you're trying to convince know essentially nothing about the report.

2. The sense I get from reading people's thoughts on this - they need to clearly explain why obstruction of justice is a big deal. It seems like a lot of people view this as a "process crime" or fall back on the idea that a prosecutor is going to come up with some bull**** crime if he doesn't find any '"real" crime. 

They need to lay out that obstruction of justice is the reason that other crimes weren't charged. They need to point to things that people understand, like the destruction of evidence that happened.

They need to tell people to ask themselves why an innocent person worked so hard to obstruct an investigation (I understand that people can end up lying to investigators for innocent reasons and that this isn't a good legal argument, but this is the court of public opinion). 

7 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

2. The sense I get from reading people's thoughts on this - they need to clearly explain why obstruction of justice is a big deal. It seems like a lot of people view this as a "process crime" or fall back on the idea that a prosecutor is going to come up with some bull**** crime if he doesn't find any '"real" crime. 

Today, Trump posited as "fighting back."

Archived