Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Just been posting in the draft thread about our approach first round, and one this is clear...it's so much easier if we sort the damn DL out....Hankins, Logan in the rotation at a lower cost... Get one of them in Bruce.

I’d be fine with Logan at a lower cost.  He can take the limited snaps at NT, rotate in at DT to keep Allen/Io fresher and provides solid depth for them.  

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I think it's a bit early to be creating an exit strategy to get out of the Trent Williams business.  He's 29 and is our best player playing one of the most important positions in the game. 

Don’t disagree, but we have to plan for Nsheke’s departure.  Might as well consider what we’re going to do with Williams at that point too.  Doesn’t mean we move on from him, but it never hurts to make some tentative plans.  

If we do draft a tackle (next year) and they look like starting material in year 1 or 2... and if we have a guard spot in flux - considering we’re missing one now and Scherff is projected as a FA next year (depending on an extension or 5th year option) - I’d be open to the idea of Williams at guard for a year.  

Not at all pushing for that of course.  

52 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

I dont see where he is advocating for an exit strategy for Trent??

I’m guessing he meant to quote me. :)

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I think it's a bit early to be creating an exit strategy to get out of the Trent Williams business.  He's 29 and is our best player playing one of the most important positions in the game. 

Okay... and what does that have to do with anything I wrote?

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Just been posting in the draft thread about our approach first round, and one this is clear...it's so much easier if we sort the damn DL out....Hankins, Logan in the rotation at a lower cost... Get one of them in Bruce.

I did what I could and gave them plenty of time and options.

10 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The fact that they needed to see last season in order to do this is why no matter how much "he WANTS to win, he's a fan guys, and he's hardly involved anymore!" Snyder is still a bad owner.

He is but for different symptoms of the same problem: he doesn’t know who to hire.

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

So, do we consider bringing in Eric Reid?  I know we hope Nicholson is our safety of the future, but at this point it looks like Reid could be had for cheap, and would really strengthen that safety core.

There is something that we don't know. A player like him should always find a job in the NFL. Even guys who had issues with the law, would even get a contract. So there is something really weird going on...

It could be the anthem drama but it's super mega weird. I also don't hear any talk about teams beeing interested. Like non. So every team agrees that he is not worth it? That's crazy. 

9 hours ago, DC9 said:

Okay... and what does that have to do with anything I wrote?

Yeah I quoted the wrong post, I was referring to Skinny's post.  

5 hours ago, Peregrine said:

So, do we consider bringing in Eric Reid?  I know we hope Nicholson is our safety of the future, but at this point it looks like Reid could be had for cheap, and would really strengthen that safety core.

I was not a fan of the protests the minute Kap started them. But these guys getting black balled the way they have is a crock of #%@^.  

I didn't believe Kap was "blackballed" for his stance. .more out of fear of distraction.. but Reid makes no sense. He may have protested but he is not the face of it and any distraction he may bring with him is not the same magnitude as Kap. 

I can only assume they are blackballing Reid, whether by agreement or not 

I agree with others.. bring him in for a look. Value is there.. he will come at a discount and will play with something to prove

~Bang

2 hours ago, Bang said:

I didn't believe Kap was "blackballed" for his stance. .more out of fear of distraction.. but Reid makes no sense. He may have protested but he is not the face of it and any distraction he may bring with him is not the same magnitude as Kap. 

I can only assume they are blackballing Reid, whether by agreement or not 

I agree with others.. bring him in for a look. Value is there.. he will come at a discount and will play with something to prove

~Bang

Reid is a quality football player.  I'm not sure Kaep can play as well as many let on and he's really let his body go to **** the last couple of years.  Looks like he might weigh 170lbs and teams figured out that he usually throws a flat ball and needs a clear passing lane to complete it, which was really his issue for my money.

I hope for the sake of our country that a dude who can play the game at a high level isn't getting black balled for taking a stance.  This league is really just a couple of years away from imploding if they keep this kind of crap up when you couple it with the rule changes and other **** going on behind the doors in the League Office.

We have all seen some of the QB play around the league, there is little question in my mind that Kap is better than many of them.  He was blackballed because he just isn't good enough for teams to take the PR hit.  If Cam Newton was the first to lead this protest by kneeling we would be seeing a different story.  

18 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

We have all seen some of the QB play around the league, there is little question in my mind that Kap is better than many of them.  He was blackballed because he just isn't good enough for teams to take the PR hit.  If Cam Newton was the first to lead this protest by kneeling we would be seeing a different story.  

You can't have that kind of distraction as your BACKUP qb. Personally, I couldn't care less about the kneeling, but I can definitely understand why a FO and coaching staff would prefer to avoid this.

I don't want to misquote, but I remember someone mentioning that Cooley said Eric Reid had received multiple offers. I can't imagine that he's being blackballed because it really wouldn't make sense to do so. Many players knelt during the anthem, but only is directly tied to it.  

In regard to the QB Wonderlic scores, Lamar Jackson's low score adds another question mark next to his game. I took a second to try to find "good QBs with poor Wonderlic scores," but I have to get back to work. These are the scores for the active, SB winning qbs:

Eli Manning 39

Aaron Rodgers 35

Tom Brady 33

Drew Brees 28

Russell Wilson 28

Joe Flacco 27

Ben Roethlisberger 25

EDIT: nevermind, I just had to scroll down a bit further- Marino 16, Jim Kelly 15, Terry Bradshaw 16... These low scores for good QBs were in a different era, so I don't know if they can disprove the importance.

17 minutes ago, CTskin said:

You can't have that kind of distraction as your BACKUP qb. Personally, I couldn't care less about the kneeling, but I can definitely understand why a FO and coaching staff would prefer to avoid this.

Yeah as I said he's just not good enough for teams put up with the backlash.   Still does not make it right.  When Blaine Gabbert gets yet another deal there is no question in my mind teams could use a backup as good as Kap.  People forgave Michael Vick eventually and what Kap did wasn't even close to that.

24 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I don't want to misquote, but I remember someone mentioning that Cooley said Eric Reid had received multiple offers. I can't imagine that he's being blackballed because it really wouldn't make sense to do so. Many players knelt during the anthem, but only is directly tied to it.  

In regard to the QB Wonderlic scores, Lamar Jackson's low score adds another question mark next to his game. I took a second to try to find "good QBs with poor Wonderlic scores," but I have to get back to work. These are the scores for the active, SB winning qbs:

Eli Manning 39

Aaron Rodgers 35

Tom Brady 33

Drew Brees 28

Russell Wilson 28

Joe Flacco 27

Ben Roethlisberger 25

EDIT: nevermind, I just had to scroll down a bit further- Marino 16, Jim Kelly 15, Terry Bradshaw 16... These low scores for good QBs were in a different era, so I don't know if they can disprove the importance.

Two things on this post - I was more suspecting Reid had to do with money than anything else.  Hopefully that's the case.  I take everything Cooley says with a grain of salt, but if that's true then good.  The FA market isn't what it used to be for guys looking for second or third contracts elsewhere unless they are TOP TOP players.  It's been that way for a couple of years.  It also depends on depth in the draft at your position.  ILB has been one of those positions starting around 2012/13 where the money just hasn't been there in FA.  Safety seems to be following suit.

And just me nitpicking here, but Bradshaw is easily the most overrated QB in the history of the game, lol.  I get what you're doing but I just had to say something.  16 seems a bit high for him, too, if I'm being honest.

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah as I said he's just not good enough for teams put up with the backlash.   Still does not make it right.  When Blaine Gabbert gets yet another deal there is no question in my mind teams could use a backup as good as Kap.  People forgave Michael Vick eventually and what Kap did wasn't even close to that.

Vick was a borderline MVP when he came back.

Should Kaepernick get a shot though?

There were 83 QBs in 2017 per Spotrac 2017 - QB spending and with 32 teams that's an average of 2.59 per team.

There were 27 QBs started last season who will also start this season. I included Keenum instead of Bradford, but you could include both. The other 5 starting spots are filled by the aforementioned Bradford, and other placeholders like McCown and McCarron before the rookies make their mark. 

Basically 50 spots up for grabs after the starting group. I removed the starters from the drafts below and indicated them in brackets.

2017 Draft = 7 QBs (3)
2016 Draft = 12 QBs (3)
2015 Draft = 5 QBs (2)
2014 Draft = 10 QBs (4)

2013 Draft = 11 QBs (0)

45 QBs.

It is true some players are out of the league, but teams are more likely to pass around new QBs to see if they can unlock more potential while there is room for growth. There are lower cost players with experience in a pinch, if that's what you're looking for, but teams want low-cost draft picks or college free agents with potential to grow. 

So, even if you lose >30% of the class in the last 5 years (hypothetically), you're still left with 32 starters and 30 drafted players. Add another 12 from the draft (an up year) and teams are less than 10 players away from having what they need. 

Why go after Colin Kaepernick?

He may have been black-balled, but is the product on the field much better with Kaep versus a reserve on their rookie contract? If you lose your starter, you're probably sunk unless you have a top 5 back-up in the league. Again, Kaepernick is not that player so teams have moved on. 

18 minutes ago, DC9 said:

And just me nitpicking here, but Bradshaw is easily the most overrated QB in the history of the game, lol.  I get what you're doing but I just had to say something.  16 seems a bit high for him, too, if I'm being honest.

100% agree about Bradshaw, just had to throw him out there.

My point is that there seems to be an extremely low percentage of very good QBs who have low Wonderlic scores. I don't want to read too far into the statistics because I imagine that there are very few QBs who've scored "low" (under 15), which means there's a lesser chance that one will succeed, but still, I want no part of Lamar Jackson.

Btw, happy birthday amigo.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Right now... there are NFL fans who see it as blackballing, and they can't target 1 owner / GM / Coach as being responsible for it.  Everyone is at fault, therefore nobody is. 

If a team were to bring him in for anything other than a starting job, these same people who see it as blackballing would then be attacking a SINGLE organization citing his history as the cause for him not being on the field.  Every week will be "is this Kap's week" or "Is Kap good enough to start."  It's gone so far past the kneeling, that I feel the owners aren't even worried about that any more.  They're worried about the media and fans going absolutely crazy and spinning it so far that cutting or releasing him based on the on-field play is no longer an option..  Once he signs with a team, chances are retirement could be the only way they could part ways without causing a PR flurry.  

I haven't seen anybody getting a check signed by the NFL refuse to play a down til he gets a chance... 

10 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

There is something that we don't know. A player like him should always find a job in the NFL. Even guys who had issues with the law, would even get a contract. So there is something really weird going on...

It could be the anthem drama but it's super mega weird. I also don't hear any talk about teams beeing interested. Like non. So every team agrees that he is not worth it? That's crazy. 

Look, they were trying to pull Danny White out of the broadcasting booth last year to be a backup qb at times. Meanwhile, Kaepernick stayed home.

There is collusion here that a few guys are going to be punished for this anthem business regardless of talent.

14 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Just letting everyone know that the first guy to post that we signed Hankins on Sunday should be suspended by the moderators until the draft. 

The McPhee announcement/news came out late last Saturday night, so it's conceivable the same could happen with Hankins' decision coming late Saturday/early Sunday morning, the 1st.

Archived