Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

There is collusion here that a few guys are going to be punished for this anthem business regardless of talent.

Yup, the league colludes. What sports owners don't collude? They all do that

I have no problem with the premise of this. Owners should be allowed to hire whoever they want to. And along with that whoever the hell they do not want to.

If a guy makes a mockery of his privilege of playing in the league and gives the NFL a black eye for his own personal beliefs and suffers for it, who cares? Playing in the league is a privilege. It's not a right. These guys should own the punishment they are given and go away. No one told them to go and hurt the NFL like that. No one made these guys kneel. They only choose that because some sports leagues don't allow kneeling like the NBA so they saw a loophole and took advantage of it and embarrassed the league. No one was complaining that the NBA players are not allowed to kneel. So now they can't play? Booo Hoo. Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time. One of the only things I ever liked Jerry doing for the boys was saying kneel and you won't play. Good for Jerry. 

I mean who are these guys to come out and ruin the NFL brand? No one is bigger than the NFL, not Kapernick not Reed, not Peyton Manning, not Archie Manning, I mean no one is bigger then the NFL.

And make no mistake, kneeling for the anthem is disrespectful in the eyes of many including myself. They want to be dicks to the country they live in and where they make all their money because of a few bad cops then that is their God given right to do so but doing it hurt the NFL ratings. NFL ratings are the measure for why the TV networks pay so much money to the NFL. That money is then used to sign these guys to these big contracts they want. They hurt every player in the league with that stunt. And what did it do? Absolutely nothing. Police brutality didn't stop because they did that. The protests had no lasting effect on anything. It only hurt them. And police are not all bad. 

The NFL's has been colluding and protecting the shield for years. The media is always coming out with fluff NFL pieces because if a journalist trashes a team or its management that writer would lose access to the locker room and player interviews. Journalist know that dark secret of reporting on the NFL and tows the line. The NFL has to protect itself. And it should.

No one should give a damn what these players think anyway. They are athletes. The only talking they should be doing is on the field. I know these days that some people with no morals only look to hollywood and athletes for guidance but like Charles Barkley said, these people are not role models. These are not your average citizens. You listen to the clowns like Junior saying making 6 million dollars a year is slave wages? Glad he got shown the door too. Don't give a damn what they think, how they think, I just want them to shut up and play the game. Too many good deserving people don't get to do that for the ones who do it to allow them and there stupid ideas to ruin the game. 

The NFL needs to remain steering very clear of controversy. I mean why do you think the only charity movement in the NFL is breast cancer awareness? Because who is against breasts? No one. That's not going to offend anyone. The act of kneeling for the National Anthem does offend people even if you are fine with it, not you personally LBK I don't know how you feel about this. To anyone that thinks people who think like me don't have a deserving opinion you are wrong. It's mandatory for NBA players to stand for the anthem and it should be mandatory for the NFL players too.

That was a black eye on the entire league and they should stop it. If getting it to stop costs some of the originators of it ttheir careers oh well, the NFL will go on. Those guys shouldn't have done it in the first place. 

Just my opinion. No I don't want Eric Reed on this team. No I don't want Kapernick on this team either. Just my opinion. What they did was stupid and divisive. We need to grow together not apart. IMO sorry for the rant

48 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Yup, the league colludes. What sports owners don't collude? They all do that

snipping a bunch of stuff.

Okay, the NFL bosses violating the law, should be a bigger deal than the NFL employees exercising their rights as American citizens

6 minutes ago, carex said:

Okay, the NFL bosses violating the law, should be a bigger deal than the NFL employees exercising their rights as American citizens

I don't think it's that simple.... 

Every job anyone ever applies to has some sort of a reference system.  This system just happens to be public information.  The owners have no problem with him exercising his right as an American citizen... in fact, I want to say a few owners actually were supportive of the players, they may not have agreed with the display or how it was done, but some came out publicly and locked arms, or stated that they stand with their players in their time of protest.

That said, every business on this planet that has any real public exposure will absolutely vet their applicants and evaluate their effect on public relations... positive OR negative.  Like I said before, I don't think the issue is the kneeling... it's the inability to TRULY employ a player, and made decisions based on the 'on the field' production.  That the ONLY way that the organization could ever be looked at in a positive light, is if Kap comes in and is a starter for the duration of the contract.  If he loses the starting job, there will be a sector of people who scream that it's the kneeling.  If he comes in as a backup, that same sector will say he's not being given a fair chance.  The idea of how bad they could be protested if he's not capable of playing at the highest level is going to scare them off.  

Blaine Gabbert, Josh McCown, Tom Savage, pick your backup can be signed and sit the bench and nobody cares.  Kap HAS to play... or the organization loses.... so they don't even want to deal with it.  

I don't actually think Reid is being blackballed at this point and his own comments would seem to suggest that too.  He has complained about people trying to get him cheap because of his involvement in the protests which would clearly indicate offers have been made.  

In his specific case I think he is overvaluing himself right now.  He is not an elite player and he has a not insignificant injury history which combined with the glacially slow market for safeties this FA period is limiting his value.  There are bigger name safeties still on the market and there is little or no talk about them signing either. 

I do believe he is worth a spot on a roster as depth with potential high upside if his injury problems are behind him but I wouldn't say he is being blackballed unless he is still sitting on the market when training camps begin. 

30 minutes ago, carex said:

Only if Kapernick can produce evidence that they colluded against him would he win a case against the league.

If the NFL is doing that I personally have no problem with it. Playing in the NFL is not a right, it is a privilege. He gave the league a black eye and now is paying the price. Oh well. 

This is what I call a situation of what you know versus what you can prove

We know they are colluding, but there won't be any proof of it. So in the end he won't win jack from this and the lasting lesson will be don't hurt the NFL. Or you won't be in the league for long. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman/2017/10/15/explaining-colin-kaepernicks-collusion-grievance-against-the-nfl/#40650136206c

Which is a good message to send imo. All of this is imo. Either way I think the owners shouldn't be forced to give any one a damn job they don't want to.

On 3/29/2018 at 1:18 PM, dahibachi said:

the Skins have been stuck in virtually the same spot for years now, regardless of who has been making the decisions. I’m at the point now where my expectations are low and I have no excitement heading into this upcoming season because I feel like I’ve now been fooled many times in the past. The common denominator is Dan Snyder regardless of who has been coach, GM or president. I’d love to eat crow at some point but I feel as long as Snyder is the owner, we aren’t going anywhere. So, even if we could realistically add some pieces here and there and compete with anyone, I have no faith in Snyder/Allen to make the right moves.

Here is a stat on ESPN website and why Bruce Allen's firing should be the first point of business:  the result is that the Redskins now have only one player left from their eight-member class of 2014, and just six out of 17 players combined from the 2015-16 draft classes (run by former general manager Scot McCloughan). All 10 members of last year's class remain. They have four players remaining from the 2010-13 classes.

The safety market in general has been pretty soft this offseason. In addition to Reid, Vaccaro and Boston are still out there among the "bigger" names left. And possibly Rodgers-Cromartie too, if you can get him to play there.

5 minutes ago, rabidskin said:

Here is a stat on ESPN website and why Bruce Allen's firing should be the first point of business:  the result is that the Redskins now have only one player left from their eight-member class of 2014, and just six out of 17 players combined from the 2015-16 draft classes (run by former general manager Scot McCloughan). All 10 members of last year's class remain. They have four players remaining from the 2010-13 classes.

But is that really any different. For example, here's the Patriot's 2014 draft class:

1 29 Dominique Easley DT Florida
2 62 Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois
4 105 Bryan Stork C Florida State
4 130 James White RB Wisconsin
4 140 Cameron Fleming T Stanford
6 179 Jon Halapio G Florida
6 206 Jemea Thomas DB Georgia Tech
7 244 Jeremy Gallon WR Michigan

And the only one that's left on the Pats is James white. I think we'd need to see some context from around the league on how many draft picks actually pan out per team.

41 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Only if Kapernick can produce evidence that they colluded against him would he win a case against the league.

If the NFL is doing that I personally have no problem with it. Playing in the NFL is not a right, it is a privilege. He gave the league a black eye and now is paying the price. Oh well. 

This is what I call a situation of what you know versus what you can prove

We know they are colluding, but there won't be any proof of it. So in the end he won't win jack from this and the lasting lesson will be don't hurt the NFL. Or you won't be in the league for long. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman/2017/10/15/explaining-colin-kaepernicks-collusion-grievance-against-the-nfl/#40650136206c

Which is a good message to send imo. All of this is imo. Either way I think the owners shouldn't be forced to give any one a damn job they don't want to.

this is not about a theoretical lawsuit.  In your post you admitted that you think the owners collude and you're okay with it, but you're not okay with him protesting

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Right now... there are NFL fans who see it as blackballing, and they can't target 1 owner / GM / Coach as being responsible for it.  Everyone is at fault, therefore nobody is. 

If a team were to bring him in for anything other than a starting job, these same people who see it as blackballing would then be attacking a SINGLE organization citing his history as the cause for him not being on the field.  Every week will be "is this Kap's week" or "Is Kap good enough to start."  It's gone so far past the kneeling, that I feel the owners aren't even worried about that any more.  They're worried about the media and fans going absolutely crazy and spinning it so far that cutting or releasing him based on the on-field play is no longer an option..  Once he signs with a team, chances are retirement could be the only way they could part ways without causing a PR flurry.  

I haven't seen anybody getting a check signed by the NFL refuse to play a down til he gets a chance... 

You are saying teams now don't fear the backlash should they sign him but they won't do it because they would be stuck with him and couldn't cut him if he played poorly due to the backlash?  Couldn't disagree more.  Should they sign him and then release him later due to poor play they will be seen by some fans as the team, the only team, that was willing to give him a chance.  Of course that has positive and negative connotations as other fans would create a backlash for signing him in the first place. Yes i believe that is still very real and that's the reason teams are not willing to do it.  It's Ray Rice 2.0

29 minutes ago, carex said:

this is not about a theoretical lawsuit.  In your post you admitted that you think the owners collude and you're okay with it, but you're not okay with him protesting

There is no theoretical lawsuit, there is a real lawsuit. And your reading me correctly. I think it's BS that owners have to collude so no one hires certain players they don't want to hire. I also think it's BS what Kapernick did. I see two wrongs. 

In a perfect world I think the owners should be allowed to come out publicly and say the hell with him and his NFL career. But we live in a society that it would be worse for them if they did that, so they have to do it privately. What part of this is hard to understand?

I don't like what Kapernick did, I think Kapernicks career is over, I think everyone knows this but no one can say that because of threat of lawsuits.

I am no saint, and I am not bothered by you thinking because I'm not 100% on the side of the law on this issue I'm wrong. I didn't make society this way. And I break the law just like you and everyone else does too reading this. No one is a saint. 

The NFL teams would be morons to come out and say they black listed, black balled Kepernick. So they aren't going to do that. Thinking they will is silly. They will never say that.

So it's on Kapernick to prove they colluded. If he does he will get paid millions. With no proof which he won't be able to get he will get nothing. And that's what I think he deserves.

Sorry you disagree but its my opinion. The whole stupid kneeling thing should never have happened and it should be left in the past.

It proved nothing, it did nothing, it helped nothing, it hurt the league, it ruined careers, and it made the owners look bad. The whole entire thing stinks IMO 

Kap has donated and raised millions of $ to impoverished communities, for you to say he's done nothing is foolish. He will be remembered more for his selfless acts than sitting while the NFL collected checks for patriotism. Whole lot of dog whistling going on but I digress.

Back to FA... Reid might be exactly what we need on our team - versatile depth. The ability to play both safety spots and a bit of LB in a pinch would be clutch

1 hour ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I don't actually think Reid is being blackballed at this point and his own comments would seem to suggest that too.  He has complained about people trying to get him cheap because of his involvement in the protests which would clearly indicate offers have been made.  

I do believe he is worth a spot on a roster as depth with potential high upside if his injury problems are behind him but I wouldn't say he is being blackballed unless he is still sitting on the market when training camps begin. 

Good point, I do recall one tweet where he seemed to imply he'd had offers but he wasnt going to be cheap.  His tune may change in about another couple of weeks, when its clear no one will pay what he wants.

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Full speed ahead Bruce.

We already signed a Punter.  King is special but you have to figure brother has spoken with brother about King.  I don't think it happens.  Plus, Way has done well for us.

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We already signed a Punter.  King is special but you have to figure brother has spoken with brother about King.  I don't think it happens.  Plus, Way has done well for us.

It was mostly a joke, in reference to the quote below by Bruce, but King is a top 5 punter.  Way is closer to average. 

"We're hoping somebody cuts another good player," Allen said. "That'd be great for us."

Punters are really underrated in terms of their impact on a game.  It would only be a $750k dead cap hit to release Way.  But I'm under no illusions that it will happen.

20 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It was mostly a joke, in reference to the quote below by Bruce, but King is a top 5 punter.  Way is closer to average. 

"We're hoping somebody cuts another good player," Allen said. "That'd be great for us."

Punters are really underrated in terms of their impact on a game.  It would only be a $750k dead cap hit to release Way.  But I'm under no illusions that it will happen.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

Way is a very good punter and the holder for the kicker. Don't make sense to jettison him for a possible marginal improvement, if any.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

So it's on Kapernick to prove they colluded. If he does he will get paid millions. With no proof which he won't be able to get he will get nothing. And that's what I think he deserves.

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Blaine Gabbert, Josh McCown, Tom Savage, pick your backup can be signed and sit the bench and nobody cares.  Kap HAS to play... or the organization loses.... so they don't even want to deal with it.  

2 hours ago, carex said:

Guys, no offense, but can you take the Kapernick and collusion argument to the 'Around the NFL' board where it belongs, and let's get back to talking about Redskins' free agents on this thread?

Please. :) 

3 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Don't fix what isn't broken.

Way is a very good punter and the holder for the kicker. Don't make sense to jettison him for a possible marginal improvement, if any.

I wouldn't call a ranking of 3rd overall Average Net Punt Yards vs. 28th overall Average Net Punt Yards, and 5th overall Average Gross Punt Yards vs. 13th overall Average Gross Punt Yards a "marginal improvement", but okay.

Archived