Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000924046/article/trade-odell-beckham-plus-draft-fits-for-qb-prospects-and-more

THREE AND OUT: Quick takes on big developments across the league

1) Why the Redskins did indeed upgrade at quarterback. Shots fired??! That's the sentiment from Kirk Cousins supporters after hearing Jay Gruden suggest Washington has improved at quarterback following the Alex Smith trade that allowed the Redskins to move on from their former QB1.

"Yeah, without a doubt," Gruden said when asked if the 'Skins are better off at the position during the Annual League Meeting in Orlando, Florida. "I don't want to compare two players, but we're always trying to be better at every position. We got better. Alex's experience is well-noted, and his record the last five years is what it is. You could argue that all day, but we feel very good."

To that point, there's no disputing Smith's experience and production as a winning quarterback. The three-time Pro Bowler compiled a 50-26 record as the starter in Kansas City, posting a 65.1 percent completion rate and a 102:33 TD-to-INT ratio with the Chiefs. He compiled a 94.8 passer rating during that span, while averaging 7.2 yards per attempt. Granted, Smith only topped the 4,000-yard mark once during his time in K.C., but he is coming off an MVP-caliber season where he posted a 26:5 TD-to-INT ratio and a league-best 104.7 passer rating while directing an offense that featured more vertical throws.

Cousins, on the other hand, just recorded three straight 4,000-yard seasons as Washington's full-time starter, posting a 24-23-1 record during that span. He tallied an 81:36 TD-to-INT ratio over the past three seasons, with a 67 percent completion rate (including a league-best 69.8 percent rate in 2015).

While the numbers suggest Smith and Cousins are nearly identical, their playing styles are quite dissimilar -- and that makes a huge difference to the play caller.

"It's not one thing, it's everything. It's the entire body of work," Gruden said of Smith in Orlando."He's very good at the intermediate ball. He's good with the quick game. He can run zone reads, the [run-pass options]. Very exciting. ... The ability to ad-lib, make plays that aren't there and keep plays alive. Coaching him for the first time will be exciting because I don't think there's a limit on what he can do. He has all the things you want a quarterback to be able to do."

When I heard Gruden go to the mat for Smith, I thought it was another example of a head coach endorsing his current QB1. I thought the tape and data would show that these quarterbacks were similar, but to my surprise, Smith is indeed the far superior player.

Of the 11 Next Gen Stats passing categories, Smith had a better passer rating in seven last season:

Short (from behind line of scrimmage up to 10 air yards): Smith (97.2), Cousins (92.0).
Intermediate (10 to 19 air yards): Cousins (90.8), Smith (90.1).
Deep (20-plus air yards): Smith (134.7), Cousins (93.8).
Middle third: Smith (103.6), Cousins (81.8).
Outside the numbers: Smith (105.1), Cousins (101.2).
Against blitz: Cousins (98.6), Smith (94.9).
Against pressure: Smith (97.0), Cousins (59.1).
Tight windows: Smith (67.6), Cousins (53.4).
Outside the tackle box: Cousins (118.6), Smith (71.4).
Less than 2.50 seconds: Cousins (104.7), Smith (86.4).
2.50 seconds-plus: Smith (111.2), Cousins (85.9).

Despite being labeled a "dink and dunk" quarterback for most of his career, Smith is an outstanding passer when targeting every area of the field. From "catch, rock and fire" throws near the line of scrimmage to pushing the ball down the field on vertical throws, Smith was more effective than his predecessor. When you dig a little deeper into the shot chart, you also discover that Smith is not only more effective between the hashes, but he is also more efficient hitting receivers outside the numbers.

Although target areas reveal a lot about a passer's game, defensive coaches will quickly tell you that the best quarterbacks are capable of delivering accurate throws into tight windows under duress. Smith not only ranked as arguably the best passer in the NFL against pressure, but he was an exceptional tight-window thrower in 2017. Given his effectiveness working the middle of the field and hitting tight windows, the questions regarding his timing and anticipation are well off the mark.

In fact, looking at the All-22 Coaches Film after studying the numbers, I believe Smith doesn't get enough credit for his brilliance as a play-action passer in the game. He is a clever ball handler in the backfield with a number of deceptive tactics that lure linebackers and defensive backs to the line, which is why he was the NFL's most effective passer on long-developing plays (passes released after 2.50 seconds) last season.

Looking at all of data and tape, I can see why Gruden is excited to work with his new QB1 in Washington. Smith is not only a more effective passer in nearly all areas, but he is also a superior athlete and runner, which makes him more of a dual-threat than Cousins. Now, that's certainly not a surprise, based on their NFL Scouting Combine results. Take a look:

Smith's 2005 combine results: 4.78-second 40-yard dash, 32-inch vertical jump, 113-inch broad jump, 6.82-second three-cone drill, 3.96-second 20-yard shuttle.

Cousins' 2012 combine results: 4.93-seconds 40-yard dash, 28.5-inch vertical jump, 109-inch broad jump, 7.05-second three-cone drill, 4.50-second 20-yard shuttle.

Although Smith is no longer that explosive as a 33-year-old quarterback, he remains a B+ athlete based on how he runs away from defenders on tape. He is a viable option as a runner, and that impromptu playmaking ability makes him a more dangerous weapon under center. Most importantly, it adds another layer to the Redskins' playbook and gives Gruden more options when it comes to attacking defenses on game day.

Like him or not, Smith is a better player than Cousins -- and Gruden isn't wrong for saying so.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

After he came back. When they signed him they had no idea what they were getting, other than the rep as a coach killer.  And of course a dog killer.

Was he a coach killer before?  I thought Petrino left a note.

He was brought in by the Eagles to see what he had and he won the job.  He always had talent and could perform at a high level.  He just ran himself into a lot of bad situations and hits. 

That's different than not being able to drop a pass over a linebacker/corner and in front of a safety.  Kind of a massive difference.

On 29/03/2018 at 3:29 PM, wilco_holland said:

It probably will soo be in the news section @Wildbunny 

EDIT IT IS ALREADY IN THE NEWS SECTION. THE LEGENDARY BUNNY! 

I try to make it as quick as possible, though that's not always possible. Like articles posted in the evening (after 5 pm or so) will be posted here during the night.

But I'm still far away from being legendary. I'm just posting some pixels on my screen. Then it's up to you to read them or not, though I prefer if you read them all!

Check BHRBN once or twice a day, pick what you want to read there, and I'm fine with that.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I wouldn't call a ranking of 3rd overall Average Net Punt Yards vs. 28th overall Average Net Punt Yards, and 5th overall Average Gross Punt Yards vs. 13th overall Average Gross Punt Yards a "marginal improvement", but okay.

Story is that King is a pain in the ass in the locker room and of course he has picked up some flags for taunting which every coach hates.  It is bad enough when your superstar WR like Beckham gets a flag but very few coaches are going to have patience for a Punter who is a distraction and gets flagged.  The Vikings ended Kluwe's career just for being outspoken.

5 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Yup, the league colludes. What sports owners don't collude? They all do that

I have no problem with the premise of this. Owners should be allowed to hire whoever they want to. And along with that whoever the hell they do not want to.

If a guy makes a mockery of his privilege of playing in the league and gives the NFL a black eye for his own personal beliefs and suffers for it, who cares? Playing in the league is a privilege. It's not a right. These guys should own the punishment they are given and go away. No one told them to go and hurt the NFL like that. No one made these guys kneel. They only choose that because some sports leagues don't allow kneeling like the NBA so they saw a loophole and took advantage of it and embarrassed the league. No one was complaining that the NBA players are not allowed to kneel. So now they can't play? Booo Hoo. Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time. One of the only things I ever liked Jerry doing for the boys was saying kneel and you won't play. Good for Jerry. 

I mean who are these guys to come out and ruin the NFL brand? No one is bigger than the NFL, not Kapernick not Reed, not Peyton Manning, not Archie Manning, I mean no one is bigger then the NFL.

And make no mistake, kneeling for the anthem is disrespectful in the eyes of many including myself. They want to be dicks to the country they live in and where they make all their money because of a few bad cops then that is their God given right to do so but doing it hurt the NFL ratings. NFL ratings are the measure for why the TV networks pay so much money to the NFL. That money is then used to sign these guys to these big contracts they want. They hurt every player in the league with that stunt. And what did it do? Absolutely nothing. Police brutality didn't stop because they did that. The protests had no lasting effect on anything. It only hurt them. And police are not all bad. 

The NFL's has been colluding and protecting the shield for years. The media is always coming out with fluff NFL pieces because if a journalist trashes a team or its management that writer would lose access to the locker room and player interviews. Journalist know that dark secret of reporting on the NFL and tows the line. The NFL has to protect itself. And it should.

No one should give a damn what these players think anyway. They are athletes. The only talking they should be doing is on the field. I know these days that some people with no morals only look to hollywood and athletes for guidance but like Charles Barkley said, these people are not role models. These are not your average citizens. You listen to the clowns like Junior saying making 6 million dollars a year is slave wages? Glad he got shown the door too. Don't give a damn what they think, how they think, I just want them to shut up and play the game. Too many good deserving people don't get to do that for the ones who do it to allow them and there stupid ideas to ruin the game. 

The NFL needs to remain steering very clear of controversy. I mean why do you think the only charity movement in the NFL is breast cancer awareness? Because who is against breasts? No one. That's not going to offend anyone. The act of kneeling for the National Anthem does offend people even if you are fine with it, not you personally LBK I don't know how you feel about this. To anyone that thinks people who think like me don't have a deserving opinion you are wrong. It's mandatory for NBA players to stand for the anthem and it should be mandatory for the NFL players too.

That was a black eye on the entire league and they should stop it. If getting it to stop costs some of the originators of it ttheir careers oh well, the NFL will go on. Those guys shouldn't have done it in the first place. 

Just my opinion. No I don't want Eric Reed on this team. No I don't want Kapernick on this team either. Just my opinion. What they did was stupid and divisive. We need to grow together not apart. IMO sorry for the rant

Call it a rant bruh but you definitely have a point..I watch the game as a form of entertainment,a way for three hours to get away from the crap in the world..not have it thrown in my face as I’m trying to watch!!..we all have the right to protest whatever the hell bothers us but there is a time and a place for such protest..When a group decides to do a public march,there are permits that are required,a timeframe that it is held for,an area that is designated for that protest-you’re not to just decide to make that stand whenever the notion hits ya..if I was to walk in MY job one day and decide to cause any form of distraction that causes my employer to loose money,then I got more than enough sense to know that my job is more than likely in jeopardy..No,better yet-I know for a fact that I’m going to get fired almost on the spot..Players get paid millions of dollars to play-schedule a forum,rent a space,make arrangements on your own time to make whatever point that you feel you have to make that doesn’t take away from your job!!

I hate that the players who took a knee play the race card or scream that they’re being treated unfairly because of THEIR chosen actions!!..You did what you did,You get what you get!!..Don’t expect the ones who Write the checks to go along with whatever you as the player want to complain about,especially when your actions cost the loss of muliple millions of dollars..if they wasn’t such a backlash then I’m sure that they’d still be on a field somewhere..Now you got all the time in the world to make whatever point you want to make!!

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Everyone who wants big Hank here in DC go out to twitter and wish him a Happy Birthday and let him know how much you want him to become a Redskins Johnathan HankinsVerified account @BigTimeHank

“Did you ever read that book She’s Just Not That Into You?

You can’t make yourself too available” 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

“Did you ever read that book She’s Just Not That Into You?

You can’t make yourself too available” 

That's a good approach at the beginning of the flirtation process.....but when all appearances show she's about to hook up with another guy, you make a last ditch effort, when you have nothing to lose, and throw every pick-up line you ever learned.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's a good approach at the beginning of the flirtation process.....but when all appearances show she's about to hook up with another guy, you make a last ditch effort, when you have nothing to lose, and throw every pick-up line you ever learned.

I like the analogy. Next step If that doesn’t get him to sign... chloroform.

Don't have a go at me to much for this suggestion fellow Skin's but we all seem to have an opinion on who we would sign as a DT, but what about giving our 2nd round pick for David Erving of the Cowboys?. Don't know if I would be happy with it but just thought I would throw it out there for discussion. 

I want HANKINS by the way.

HTTR 

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Don't have a go at me to much for this suggestion fellow Skin's but we all seem to have an opinion on who we would sign as a DT, but what about giving our 2nd round pick for David Erving of the Cowboys?. Don't know if I would be happy with it but just thought I would throw it out there for discussion. 

I want HANKINS by the way.

HTTR 

Because acquiring one cowboy in the off-season isn't enough..

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Just check back in the morning, April 1st. There will be a thread saying we've signed him :ols:

I think last time we did that it was for Desean Jackson.

I got a text from a certain someone saying "Start the thread" and then the news broke and he was like "Well... I guess that worked out didn't it?"

Archived