Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

41 minutes ago, Unbias said:

RE: Drafting a NT - Many are targeting #13 for that pick. IMHO if you are going DT that early they have to be able to push the pocket and generate pressure up the middle. If we are genuinely looking for a space eating NT I'd rather go with a later pick that will primarily be a 2 down guy. That means I'd be out on Vea, Payne, Hurst or Bryan. I'd rather target Tim Settle in the 3rd, BJ Hill in the 4th,  Derrick Nnadi in the 4th, Kendrick Norton in the 5th or Du'Vonta Lampkin in the 6th.

I look at this past Superbowl and the games leading up and if your DL can't consistently beat their man in front of them they are a situational player, which when against a great QB, doesn't fit the gameplan. 

Imagine spending the 13th overall pick on someone like Vea, who's great, but when we need a win against someone like Brady he's barely on the field. Seems like a waste when you can get a 3 down defender (LB or DB) or get someone that can help the offence move the ball (OL/WR/RB). 

RB is rarely a first round pick now.  We have our tackles, can't afford two first round guards, no center worth a first rounder.  We're still trying to develop our last first round receiver

And if you look at the Redskins last year, they had good pash rush pressure  They lacked run defense

A couple of things.

I guess I'm a bit paranoid and waiting for the other shoe to drop when it comes to Hankins, The main knock on Swearinger at this time last year was that he'd played for so many teams. While he did make some mistakes last season and was definitely not the best safety in the NFL, he had probably the best single season at safety since Landry. So, we had at least some success with a young guy on a 3 year deal, so now I'm waiting for us to get burned.

I keep saying we have never had success with a high round RB that we picked.  We have had success with low pick guys.  A fail RB at 4, 5 or 6 doesn't hurt you as much as a fail at 1-3.  History seems to indicate that it is as much about doing the numbers than anything else when it comes to RB. 

Hankins, at this stage I just think he's outside our parameters of what we'll pay. 

Logan, will cost 5mil per year I reckon after a down season in KC. The downside is that it negates a comp pick, and collecting those is clearly a remit of ours so far this offseason.

I don't think we are waiting on Hankins, I think we are waiting on Breelands situation. If he gets a deal somewhere then that gets us a comp pick, which then 'offsets' the move we make for Logan.  That's my guess.

1 hour ago, carex said:

RB is rarely a first round pick now.  We have our tackles, can't afford two first round guards, no center worth a first rounder.  We're still trying to develop our last first round receiver

And if you look at the Redskins last year, they had good pash rush pressure  They lacked run defense

RE: RB - This year is a pretty packed draft and I find this team has always been better with a solid RB (Stephen Davis, Clinton Portis, Alfred Morris, etc...). I also know this is a deep draft at the position, but ultimately having someone of the talent level of Sony Michel/Derrius Guice on a rookie contract would absolutely help the offense. 

RE: We have our tackles - We do, but as last year showed there's not much depth there. Ideally we'd get someone who can start at guard right away, but slide out to tackle in a pinch. Williams will be 30 this year and has missed time 4 seasons in a row. Getting a rookie like Mike McGlinchey to start at guard, but provide flexibility under a rookie deal isn't a bad idea. 

RE: No center worth a first round pick - Brian Price surely was before the Combine pec injury and Isaiah Wynn has insane positional flexibility (played everywhere).I'd say with Price if the medical team supports the pick and thinks he'll be ready, why not? 

RE: Still trying to develop the last first round WR - Okay, but what if he's hit his ceiling? I think with WR if you put more irons in the fire you increase the internal competition while giving the offense more weapons to work with. 

I'm just not with locking in a DT in the first for what we need. We need run stuffing help and it's early to get someone so specialized in just that area. It would be great if we can get the next Suh/Watt/Cox, but with us looking for a NT I feel we already have our DL penetrates in Allen and Ioannidis. We can focus on a LB, CB or safety. At #13 someone will fall out of that top 10 and we'll get someone that can be on the field in all situations.

My argument will stem back to Bennie Logan. We need someone like that. He's a great run stuffer, but so specialized and has become essentially an NFL journeyman being that no team has given him a contract extension and he's not a hotly pursued free agent. I don't want to spend a 13th pick on a Bennie Logan when guys like that are drafted in the later rounds (Bennie was a 3rd round pick).  

David Carr saying we might end up the worst team in the NFL. 26th in the power rankings in the Sporting News.   I guess we got a polarizing off season perception wise with some endorsing and others thinking it hasn't gone well.

I hope I'm way off when I say that Washington might just have the first pick of the 2019 NFL Draft, but there's a chance I could be right. Think about it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923585/printable/quarterback-relocations-tyrod-taylor-kirk-cousins-set-to-soar

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-power-rankings-2018-nfl-draft-patriots-rams-saints-49ers-browns-eagles/17jcwpnhch2a314qa9sx6so5ib

26. Washington Redskins (27)

Notable additions: QB Alex Smith, WR Paul Richardson, CB Orlando Scandrick
Notable losses: QB Kirk Cousins, CB Bashaud Breeland, CB Kendall Fuller, OLB Trent Murphy, WR Terrelle Pryor Sr., WR Ryan Grant, C Spencer Long, G Shawn Lauvao, S Su'a Cravens

This has been a brutal offseason for the Redskins. Offensively, their QB swap is a downgrade — no, really, it is — and their Richardson signing was a reach. Defensively, they took a couple big secondary hits and another costly one at the second level. This is looking like the worst team in the NFC East.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

David Carr saying we might end up the worst team in the NFL. 26th in the power rankings in the Sporting News.   I guess we got a polarizing off season perception wise with some endorsing and others thinking it hasn't gone well.

I hope I'm way off when I say that Washington might just have the first pick of the 2019 NFL Draft, but there's a chance I could be right. Think about it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923585/printable/quarterback-relocations-tyrod-taylor-kirk-cousins-set-to-soar

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-power-rankings-2018-nfl-draft-patriots-rams-saints-49ers-browns-eagles/17jcwpnhch2a314qa9sx6so5ib

Notable losses: QB Kirk Cousins, CB Bashaud Breeland, CB Kendall Fuller, OLB Trent Murphy, WR Terrelle Pryor Sr., WR Ryan Grant, C Spencer Long, G Shawn Lauvao, S Su'a Cravens

This has been a brutal offseason for the Redskins. Offensively, their QB swap is a downgrade — no, really, it is — and their Richardson signing was a reach. Defensively, they took a couple big secondary hits and another costly one at the second level. This is looking like the worst team in the NFC East.

We still have a complete draft to add to our roster.

Not to mention, FA is far from over, especially if you count June 1st FA.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We still have a complete draft to add to our roster.

Not to mention, FA is far from over, especially if you count June 1st FA.

Of course.  Surprised that you got these bleak predictions.  Worst team in the NFL?  Wow.  To me in its current configuration, its about an 8-8 roster versus one of the worst in the NFL.   Agree it has time to play out.

Of the notable losses I disagree that Smith is a downgrade from Cousins and after that I am not sure what we lost.  Breeland is ok but a liability in man coverage outside, Murphy did not play last year, Cravens did not play last year, Long played a little but got hurt and Roullier turned out to be an upgrade anyway, Pryor was a joke, Grant was ok but he is depth not a starter, Lauvao missed a lot of time and is a below average starter.  The only true loss is Fuller and the team is high on Holsey and also has the draft to come.

It has been fashionable for years for the media to bash the Redskins but as of right now only the Eagles can legitimately claim to be better than us in the East and we will see if they suffer a hangover.  The Giants fully earned that 3 win season and with that broken down donkey Manning at QB they are not scaring anyone in 2018, Dallas has aging talent with minimal cap room and is coming off a season in which they realized why Prescott fell all the way to the 4th round to begin with.  

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Oh okay, so the CNN of sports.  I get it now. :) Thanks.

Pretty sure Alex is a better QB than Derek Carr so I am confidently predicting Oakland picks before us next year.  David Carr is basically Houston's answer to Ryan Leaf anyway, I have got more respect for the opinions of my youngest son and he is 3 years old and does not always make it to the toilet in time. 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Surprised that you got these bleak predictions.  Worst team in the NFL?  Wow.

I'm a little confused by the wording and meaning of this.

It's spoken as if I'm a Redskin fan, and you are not. But of course, your handle strongly suggests that you are.

Just curious what your thoughts were. Because saying "you" instead of "we" changes everything.

Am I considered some kind of "outsider Redskin fan" ? :)

31 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Notable loses “ Terrelle Pryor, Sua Cravens” LoL. David Carr is a fool, I never pay attention to that guy. 

Notable loses "Shawn Lauvao" - It's unfortunate this name came so late, immediately laughed and moved forward. :rofl89:

41 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Of the notable losses I disagree that Smith is a downgrade from Cousins and after that I am not sure what we lost. 

This is obviously debatable and we won't know until after the 2018 season is in the books. 

One indicator would be what the market paid for both players: 

Smith - Smith signed a four year contract extension with the Redskins on March 16, 2018 worth $94 million in new money ($23.5M/yr). Per Albert Breer, Smith will receive a $27 million signing bonus and $55 million is guaranteed at signing (13.75M/yr). If on the roster on the 5th day of the 2019 league year, Smith's 2020 $16 million salary will also become fully guaranteed.

Cousins - Kirk Cousins signed a three year, $84 million contract with the Vikings on March 15, 2018. The entire contract is fully guaranteed ($28M/yr). Cousins received a $3 million signing bonus. Cousins can not be traded nor can he the transition tag be used after the expiration of his contract. Another $6 million in incentives are available. Per Albert Breer the incentives are the following: $500,000 for winning the Super Bowl, $1 million for winning the Super Bowl and ranking top 8 in points, $1.5 million for winning the Super Bowl and ranking top 5 in points, and finally $2 million if he wins the Super Bowl and the team ranks top 3 in points.

I know all things are not equal in that Smith was not a FA, I don't know Smith's fully vs. injury guarantee or what to do with hearing Cousins' took a lesser financial offer to be with the better team. If we look at these two transactions as being relevant to what the NFL market says what their QBs are worth then $28M/yr (fully guaranteed) > $23.5M/yr (12.75M/yr guaranteed). 

51 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm a little confused by the wording and meaning of this.

It's spoken as if I'm a Redskin fan, and you are not. But of course, your handle strongly suggests that you are.

Just curious what your thoughts were. Because saying "you" instead of "we" changes everything.

Am I considered some kind of "outsider Redskin fan" ? :)

I meant "you" as an expression -- slang -- I am surprised you got all of these.... 

The you isn't directed to you personally.  I am the one who posted the article.  And I am aware that I posted the article.  So yes I wasn't commenting as if "you" posted the article.  

But the fact that I have to explain this all means poor wording on my end.  So sorry about that. :)

The Skins need to use free agency (even a short-term fix) to address the need for a NT, mainly so they can use the draft to snag a decent Left guard

I'm sure I'm on the fringe here, suggesting that Skins may need to consider drafting a good Left Guard with either their first or second pick.  But I'm still not sold on Roullier as anything but JAG-like at center, and he seems like someone who'll need a great tandem of guards and tackles around him.

WHY WE NEED A LEFT GUARD WITH 1st or 2nd PICK:

I've been watching a ton of Alex Smith's games, he doesn't throw well when he's pressured, or he's forced to toss the ball in the first 2.5 seconds, and if he does, it's more of a check-down, not a medium-range pass.  And Smith relies on a steady running game and 5-yard passing game to set up his occasional long pass, which he can lay in beautifully, if he's not under pressure.

Without a running game, and without a TE who can reliably break free game after game, Smith's tendencies could result in a lot of 3-&-outs for the Skins offense.  So unless you get an exceptional RB (like Barkley) you need to improve the line.  Right now, the Skins' O-line isn't that balanced that it can make a second-rounder RB become a dangerous running threat. And if the Skins go NT, and RB... it's likely any guard they pick in the 4th round would be more JAG-like.  And so, while the running game m-I-g-h-t perk up a bit, the pass-pro wouldn't allow Smith to convert 3rd downs reliably.

I think Callahan can really coach up a high-potential rookie guard, and get better results than if he has to make do linemen who are UFAs, or low-round picks.

Use FA to shore up the run defense, and make sure that Smith has an O-line that allows him the methodical ball control offense he runs so well.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Of course.  Surprised that you got these bleak predictions.  Worst team in the NFL?  Wow.  To me in its current configuration, its about an 8-8 roster versus one of the worst in the NFL.   Agree it has time to play out.

Well, technically we could finish 8-8 and still be the worst team in the league. Of course everyone else would have to finish 8-8 as well. Then everyone is tied for worst... but also tied for best. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We used to win the off seasons and that never did us any good so I'm okay with "bleak" stuff to at least stir people and the team up.   LOL

17 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

We used to win the off seasons and that never did us any good so I'm okay with "bleak" stuff to at least stir people and the team up.   LOL

Predictions are pure entertainment -- that's why I posted it.  It wasn't even conceivable to me that someone from NFL Network would see this as the worst team in the NFL -- that's wild. 

35 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

The Skins need to use free agency (even a short-term fix) to address the need for a NT, mainly so they can use the draft to snag a decent Left guard

Cooley seems to be on your track except he hates using first rounders on guards.  He went today he'd go all offense in the early rounds -- RB, LG, TE.  He's still sold on the TEs here being too unreliable and bad blockers -- and clearly he's not a Sprinkle guy.

If the Skins went RB, LG, TE... I think that would work well for what Smith does, much better than other combinations involving a NT.  I'm partial to Price of Ohio State.  But I suspect there would still be other "good/high"-potential LGs left in the second round for the Skins.

And if the Free Agent NT was a short-timer, I'd even be okay with NT,LG, RB and hope Reed/Davis/Sprinkle were enough for TE.

But NT, RB, LG.... won't work as well for the offense.  Because the decent guards would likely be gone, and there's always fewer "surprise gems" found in lower rounds amongst the Guards, than amongst the RBs.

33 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So Compton and Orakpo reunite

I’m glad Compton got picked up..he wasn’t the best LB but I liked his attitude at least..Hopefully we find a much better replacement in the draft 

Archived