Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Don't know why we need to bash Jordan Reed. Yeah he's injury prone, it's not like he's happy about that. Played with a separated shoulder against Dallas on Thanksgiving. 

I'm all for jokes about putting him in bubble wrap on the sidelines. I'm not for trading one of our most talented players for a 7th or whatever. 

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

glass_ps.jpg

I've been calling him that for three years now! Lmao I had to show my son's the movie so they got the reference. Sad when my nine year old thought it was the perfect Nick name. Same old story with us. Great player but can't stay healthy. Unfortunately it seems like Chris Thompson will be the exact same way ?

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yet another gamble on a player with major injury history.

It totally seems like that's the team's philosophy, in order to save money.

I never knew this. I dont think I fully understand the exactly how it works either. 

There is something called the Vet Minimum Cap Benefit rule. 

Veteran Minimum Benefits

When qualified, a player with more than four or more years of NFL experience can earn his total minimum salary, but have a cap figure that reflects two years of experience – or in 2015, $585,000. The contract must be for only one year, and must not contain combined bonus money (signing, roster, workout) that exceeds $65,000.

For instance, a player who re-signs with a club on a 1 year $745,000 contract with more than two years of experience–let’s say (5)— would qualify for the cap hit benefit making his 2015 cap figure $585,000.

Had he received a signing bonus of the maximum $80,000, he would have received an $810,000 contract, with a $745,000 base salary, a $65,000 signing bonus, and a cap figure of $650,000 (585+65).

https://landryfootball.com/understanding-nfl-minimum-salaries-veteran-cap-benefit-rule-free/

Seems smart by both the NFLPA and owners to put this in place. Gives a little bit more incentive for a team to sign a vet like Taylor to a vet min deal. Who would otherwise probably not be offered any contract at all. 

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yet another gamble on a player with major injury history.

It totally seems like that's the team's philosophy, in order to save money.

Hey they are giving Mr Glass 10 million for going on IR err I mean "playing" this season so could be worse lol

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I'm sure it won't preclude them from drafting Vea, Payne, or another DL beast at #13 if they so wish.

What did they do last year with this same guy? It's Deja Vu all over again. Unless they actually address the biggest need this team has had 3 years running. But they won't they never do. 

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

A gamble means we would be losing something by bringing him to camp, there's nothing but upside here.

I would bring Phil into camp for the next couple years (he's 29), if he makes it to the season healthy he will have an impact, if he doesn't then no big deal, we don't lose anything.

Wait what? Dude's been in the league since 2011, he is a first round bust and hasn't done a damn thing or played in a game since 11/6/2014. Yes there is nothing but upside here because the only thing lower then Phil Taylor is a guy completely out of the league lol.

And why am I down on this? Because this guy is Bruce Allen's answer to NT because he doesn't take the damn position seriously at all. He hasn't drafted a NT since 2011, he won't spend a dime at the position yet talks a big game like bringing in quality players like Hankins only to see them walk away year after year, and every year the teams inability to stop the opposing rusher kills the season.

Yet Bruce is an idiot who won't fix this problem but instead will sick the media on the fan base who will talk Phil Taylor up like he's good or something until he gets injured yet again because he's glass and in the end what do we have? Nothing, just another wasted season because Bruce Allen is trash. 

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If anyone thinks signing Phil Taylor was done to keep us from having to draft a D lineman in the first round then you need help.

I’ll bet ya a dollar we don’t!!..I’ll send ya my paypal info in three weeks?!!

4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Wait what? Dude's been in the league since 2011, he is a first round bust and hasn't done a damn thing or played in a game since 11/6/2014. Yes there is nothing but upside here because the only thing lower then Phil Taylor is a guy completely out of the league lol.

And why am I down on this? Because this guy is Bruce Allen's answer to NT because he doesn't take the damn position seriously at all. He hasn't drafted a NT since 2011, he won't spend a dime at the position yet talks a big game like bringing in quality players like Hankins only to see them walk away year after year, and every year the teams inability to stop the opposing rusher kills the season.

Yet Bruce is an idiot who won't fix this problem but instead will sick the media on the fan base who will talk Phil Taylor up like he's good or something until he gets injured yet again because he's glass and in the end what do we have? Nothing, just another wasted season because Bruce Allen is trash. 

Considering Bruce gets fired if we can't stop the run this year, no, he's not putting all of his eggs in the Phil Taylor basket.

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Signing him to a 1 year deal... presumably for vet min or close to it, doesn't seem like a gamble to me, instead looks like an economical depth guy who appeared to be serviceable last year at a minimum.

How is a guy who didn't play one single snap in the season considered "serviceable"  Might as well not signed the dude in the first place because that's the same service Phil Taylor gave us. 

I don't think they're bringing him in with the notion of him being a full time starter, or the idea that they are now set... but more as an insurance policy with rotational ability.  Imho it's still 100% a position they plan to address further via the draft or free agency.

You know last offseason when they didn't sign Bennie Logan I thought the same damn way. There is no way in hell they would lose there only NT in Chris Baker and do nothing at the position. That's exactly what they did. I have no clue why some of you think that after what Bruce did last season this won't be a repeat this year? I mean does anyone actually know what the Redskins are gonna do who are saying this sort of thing? 

Worst case there likely will be more players made available after June 1 cuts, but to be able to retain a guy now in the system for a 2nd season who has proven he can hang for likely minimal investment is called depth... not a gamble.  

Ah yes the post June 1st trash heap we will go for stopping the opposing RB. That always works for us right? 

2 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

Considering Bruce gets fired if we can't stop the run this year, no, he's not putting all of his eggs in the Phil Taylor basket.

Where did you read that? Everything I've heard is Bruce is here until the stadium deal is done because of his ties with the local politicians. JP Finley just podcasted Bruce is safe last week, the week before Chris Cooley podcasted that no one should believe Bruce is on the hot seat because he isn't.

However I will say If your right then by all means forget everything I have said here and I will state a new position and that is

I hope like hell that Bruce doesn't add anyone else to the DL. Not one single person. No NT. No Vita Vea. No one. 

That's worth it to me to see his sorry ass fired after the way he's messed up this team just to get rid of him, but in all seriousness Bruce isn't on the hot seat and Bruce isn't going anywhere. I wish he would take a long walk off a short pier but he won't. He's Danny's boy. He's the mastermind behind the billions of dollars Danny is gonna get from the new stadium. He should be on the hot seat but he's not. 

16 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If anyone thinks signing Phil Taylor was done to keep us from having to draft a D lineman in the first round then you need help.

I will bet you anything you want that the Redskins won't be drafting a DL in the first round this year. Name the stake. And I sure as hell don't need any help. Just because I've seen this before doesn't mean a damn things changed until they prove it has. So far have they proved anything at all is different? No they haven't.

I will be at the first round of the draft this year and will be dancing in Texas Stadium if they do the right thing but I know they won't. When does Bruce ever do the right thing with this position? He doesn't. I wish I had your belief. 

2 hours ago, PF Chang said:

Don't know why we need to bash Jordan Reed. Yeah he's injury prone, it's not like he's happy about that. Played with a separated shoulder against Dallas on Thanksgiving. 

I'm all for jokes about putting him in bubble wrap on the sidelines. I'm not for trading one of our most talented players for a 7th or whatever. 

He's the third costliest TE in the game today and he has very serious health concerns like concussions which could mean one hit to the head and his career is over. The toes thing is really worrisome because he's been off since 10/29/2017 and still struggling? No that doesn't make any sense.

I really like Reed but honestly if it meant they could sign Hankins for just trading Reed and getting that contract off the books I would do it. I have more faith that Bruce would at least draft a TE then I do a NT/DL and I wouldn't worry after every tackle that Reed gets up again like I do. Just my opinion 

30 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

You're becoming annoying, if you want to rant about Bruce then why don't you Bob and Weave your ass over to the Bruce thread?

15 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Thompson was actually pretty healthy for most of last year, until that freak injury happened against the saints. And in 2016 he was pretty good too. 

He’s gotten progressively better each season,but he was coming off injury when coming out of Fl.State and has gained momentum each season since..the coaches have all given him a vote of confidence long before it ever showed up on the field-I was simply stating that don’t jinx him now that he’s FINALLY showing what the coaches have seen that we are now just starting to....

Rams just got Brandon cooks & a 4th from Pats for a 1st and 6th!!..Wow,that’s kinda steep I think!!

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

26. Washington Redskins (27)

Notable additions: QB Alex Smith, WR Paul Richardson, CB Orlando Scandrick
Notable losses: QB Kirk Cousins, CB Bashaud Breeland, CB Kendall Fuller, OLB Trent Murphy, WR Terrelle Pryor Sr., WR Ryan Grant, C Spencer Long, G Shawn Lauvao, S Su'a Cravens

This has been a brutal offseason for the Redskins. Offensively, their QB swap is a downgrade — no, really, it is — and their Richardson signing was a reach. Defensively, they took a couple big secondary hits and another costly one at the second level. This is looking like the worst team in the NFC East.

Uhhh, doubtful.  Giants will remain firmly in the basement.  And I honestly think the Cowboys are going to take ANOTHER step back.  Witten is old.  Dez is a distraction. They have no defense.  They have no offensive line depth.  It's going to come down to us or the Eagles and if Wentz isn't ready to go and\or is hobbled through the season, we have a real shot.

27 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

Wonder if the Pats are gonna try to trade for OBJ now that they unloaded Cooks and gained an extra 1st??

Jason La CanforaVerified account @JasonLaCanfora
FollowingFollowing @JasonLaCanfora
More

I'm told the Pats trading of Cooks is not a precursor to an attempt to land Beckham. New England won't be in that market

So Belichick trades a 31st overall pick for Brandin Cooks, plays him on cheap for a year and gets a 23rd for him this draft. Winning.

3:17 PM - 3 Apr 2018

NFL Update @MySportsUpdate
FollowingFollowing @MySportsUpdate
More

NFC is stacked... #Eagles get back Wentz, #Rams going all out, #Vikings get Cousins and Richardson, #Packers get back Rodgers and bring in Graham, #Cowboys get Zeke back, #49ers have Garoppolo for a full year, #Saints still loaded. Really can’t count out anyone in NFC... Love it.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
Jason La CanforaVerified account @JasonLaCanfora
FollowingFollowing @JasonLaCanfora
More

I'm told the Pats trading of Cooks is not a precursor to an attempt to land Beckham. New England won't be in that market

So Belichick trades a 31st overall pick for Brandin Cooks, plays him on cheap for a year and gets a 23rd for him this draft. Winning.

3:17 PM - 3 Apr 2018

Right, but they also gave up a 3rd rounder that year and this year they are getting a 4th rounder

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

He's the third costliest TE in the game today and he has very serious health concerns like concussions which could mean one hit to the head and his career is over. The toes thing is really worrisome because he's been off since 10/29/2017 and still struggling? No that doesn't make any sense.

I really like Reed but honestly if it meant they could sign Hankins for just trading Reed and getting that contract off the books I would do it. I have more faith that Bruce would at least draft a TE then I do a NT/DL and I wouldn't worry after every tackle that Reed gets up again like I do. Just my opinion 

It's possible that we should trade him now given the valid points in your post. Just seems like there's too much anger directed at him for something he can't control. He can't block but his impact on the passing game is incredible. 

Archived