Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

34 minutes ago, dyst said:

Pass. He is great but we really need to think rebuild and not trading picks for older injury prone guys.

Agreed.

Gronk seems to have been hurt just as much as Reed lately.

We would just be trading one injury-prone TE for another.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Rumor is the patriots are looking to trade gronk before the draft...what would it take to get him here?? 

Everybody knows gronk wants to retire. 

Why give up valualike draft picks just to let him walk? 

Sounds lime exactly what the patriots do and why they're always one of the best teams. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Rumor is the patriots are looking to trade gronk before the draft...what would it take to get him here?? 

Am I the only one that as soon as they see these rumors, I think to myself - Please, not the Redskins, with a sinking feeling it is us? I want no part of this guy. At some point people are going to start realizing that when BB is done with them, everyone should be done with them!   

I would rather see if we can trade Reed to the Patriots to replace Gronk.  I am optimistic Reed will have a good year for us but with cap considerations and some good TE prospects in the draft he is the one start player on our roster I would not be too upset over moving if we can get good value. 

33 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Am I the only one that as soon as they see these rumors, I think to myself - Please, not the Redskins, with a sinking feeling it is us? I want no part of this guy. At some point people are going to start realizing that when BB is done with them, everyone should be done with them!   

It's already came out as a fake rumor. Bad joke by a local Boston reporter. 

11 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I would rather see if we can trade Reed to the Patriots to replace Gronk.  I am optimistic Reed will have a good year for us but with cap considerations and some good TE prospects in the draft he is the one start player on our roster I would not be too upset over moving if we can get good value. 

When he’s healthy,he’s definitely one of the better in the league but those healthy stretches are soooo far in between that is hard to want to keep him just so he can ride out another half-three quarters of a season on IR..I mean c’mon,he just literally had ANOTHER toe surgery this week-how many jacked up toes can one player have on one damn foot??..Seriously,we need a guy who can help thruout a full season-and I know injuries are gonna happen but this guy hits IR just tying his shoes it seems(every single season)..Try to trade him(for draft picks,not another injury pron replacement)get something back from the investment and build a quality team that can stay on the field for longer than a first half of a game!!!

4 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

When he’s healthy,he’s definitely one of the better in the league but those healthy stretches are soooo far in between that is hard to want to keep him just so he can ride out another half-three quarters of a season on IR..I mean c’mon,he just literally had ANOTHER toe surgery this week-how many jacked up toes can one player have on one damn foot??..Seriously,we need a guy who can help thruout a full season-and I know injuries are gonna happen but this guy hits IR just tying his shoes it seems(every single season)..Try to trade him(for draft picks,not another injury pron replacement)get something back from the investment and build a quality team that can stay on the field for longer than a first half of a game!!!

WTF!  So the season has been over what three months and he is having surgery now.  What the hell have they been doing the last three months.  It seems like these guys wait to have surgery just long enough so they can sit on their asses for all of the OTA's and off season stuff and be back just in time for the season to start.  And then they aren't ready, just like last year.  I am so done with this guy.  I don't care how much talent you have if you can't stay on the field he is JAG.

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Unless it's Jimmy Garrapolo

I knew someone would find a player or two that BB let go and did well. Let's be more specific - 95% of the players BB let go are done. Yes, there is always an outlier  or two. But of course that was not the point.  

As for JG, that story has yet to be told. He had a few nice games at the end of the season. Le'ts see how he does when teams have some NFL film on him. 

1 minute ago, glongest said:

WTF!  So the season has been over what three months and he is having surgery now.  What the hell have they been doing the last three months.  It seems like these guys wait to have surgery just long enough so they can sit on their asses for all of the OTA's and off season stuff and be back just in time for the season to start.  And then they aren't ready, just like last year.  I am so done with this guy.  I don't care how much talent you have if you can't stay on the field he is JAG.

According to Jay, the doctors finally found the problem and corrected it.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

Kind of hard to trade a player who cant pass a physical.

Just now, goskins10 said:

I knew someone would find a player or two that BB let go and did well. Let's be more specific - 95% of the players BB let go are done. Yes, there is always an outlier  or two. But of course that was not the point.  

As for JG, that story has yet to be told. He had a few nice games at the end of the season. Le'ts see how he does when teams have some NFL film on him. 

Yea, I think I know what you meant, and it was a good point.

I think you were talking about guys who were nearing the end of their road, and not at the beginning.

If BB wants to get rid of someone near the end of their journey, they're done. Because if BB can't squeeze anything out of them, noone can.

Hey, is anyone up for trading James Harrison ? :P

21 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

When he’s healthy,he’s definitely one of the better in the league but those healthy stretches are soooo far in between that is hard to want to keep him just so he can ride out another half-three quarters of a season on IR..I mean c’mon,he just literally had ANOTHER toe surgery this week-how many jacked up toes can one player have on one damn foot??..Seriously,we need a guy who can help thruout a full season-and I know injuries are gonna happen but this guy hits IR just tying his shoes it seems(every single season)..

glass_ps.jpg

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

glass_ps.jpg

Lmfao!!..that’s perfect..I’ve always called him our China Doll!!

11 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Get him at that one split second in a season where he is healthy,wrap him in bubble wrap,styrofoam peanuts an all till we can get him to the trade table..then dump him(gently I may add,don’t wanna shatter anything else going out the door)!!..if we can get a 5th for lil Suzy then we can definitely get a 3-4th for him(he at least played long enough to make a probowl)!!

11 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Get him at that one split second in a season where he is healthy,wrap him in bubble wrap,styrofoam peanuts an all till we can get him to the trade table..then dump him(gently I may add,don’t wanna shatter anything else going out the door)!!..if we can get a 5th for lil Suzy then we can definitely get a 3-4th for him(he at least played long enough to make a probowl)!!

21 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

Lmfao!!..that’s perfect..I’ve always called him our China Doll!!

And to add to the comment of the doctors JUST FOUND the issue and corrected it??..that’s so suspect to me,what kind of medical personnel do you employ that can’t find a specific issue in three years of that same issue??..wasn’t it “turf toe” his rookie season??..was that the correct diagnosis or just thrown out to the media to explain that this guys basically made of light bulb glass without out right saying it??..and the fact that Jay still has faith in him brings our coaches judgment into question to me as well!!..to me if I employ someone to do a job 100% of the time and ONLY get 30-40% of the work out of him for,going on what 4 years now??..I’d strongly start to consider putting a Help Wanted sign up in my window for sure,just saying!!!

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yet another gamble on a player with major injury history.

It totally seems like that's the team's philosophy, in order to save money.

I'm sure it won't preclude them from drafting Vea, Payne, or another DL beast at #13 if they so wish.

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I'm sure it won't preclude them from drafting Vea, Payne, or another DL beast at #13 if they so wish.

That would be the smartest choice,but with this FO making the decisions I’d be totally surprised if that’s the direction we go..since the draft depth is loaded with RB’s that could be taken within the first three rounds,we’ll probably grab one in the first and grab our much needed NT in the 5th or 6th..ya know,where we NORMALLY get our much needed talent!!..my jaw hit the floor when we got J.Allen last year but I’d be even more shocked if lighting strikes twice two years in a row..???

23 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

A gamble means we would be losing something by bringing him to camp, there's nothing but upside here.

I would bring Phil into camp for the next couple years (he's 29), if he makes it to the season healthy he will have an impact, if he doesn't then no big deal, we don't lose anything.

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2018/04/03/redskins-to-sign-nt-phil-taylor-sr-to-one-year-deal/?utm_term=.01ffa73cde00

Terms of the one-year deal were not available.

Signing him to a 1 year deal... presumably for vet min or close to it, doesn't seem like a gamble to me, instead looks like an economical depth guy who appeared to be serviceable last year at a minimum.  I don't think they're bringing him in with the notion of him being a full time starter, or the idea that they are now set... but more as an insurance policy with rotational ability.  Imho it's still 100% a position they plan to address further via the draft or free agency.  Worst case there likely will be more players made available after June 1 cuts, but to be able to retain a guy now in the system for a 2nd season who has proven he can hang for likely minimal investment is called depth... not a gamble.  

54 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

A gamble means we would be losing something by bringing him to camp, there's nothing but upside here.

I would bring Phil into camp for the next couple years (he's 29), if he makes it to the season healthy he will have an impact, if he doesn't then no big deal, we don't lose anything.

51 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Signing him to a 1 year deal... presumably for vet min or close to it, doesn't seem like a gamble to me, instead looks like an economical depth guy who appeared to be serviceable last year at a minimum.  I don't think they're bringing him in with the notion of him being a full time starter, or the idea that they are now set... but more as an insurance policy with rotational ability.  Imho it's still 100% a position they plan to address further via the draft or free agency.  Worst case there likely will be more players made available after June 1 cuts, but to be able to retain a guy now in the system for a 2nd season who has proven he can hang for likely minimal investment is called depth... not a gamble.  

My post wasn't really a direct criticism of the signing. Just the way it reflects our overall tendency and pattern, to go after injured players since they come cheap. I don't have a huge problem giving him another chance, if he's on a 90-man roster to start with. And I'm rooting for the guy. It would be a great comeback story, if he managed to make it.

I just hope we start solidifying the roster with more guys who have a high-percentage chance for reward.

But in a way though, it is a gamble, because if a player shows all indications that he is truly injury prone, but he somehow manages to make it to the regular season roster as a healthy guy, then goes down during the season, we've taken a step backwards, because then we scrambling through the street FA's for immediate help in the regular season. Almost like tricking ourselves into believing he's not going to fall apart again. And if there's ever a guy who fits that definition of injury prone, it's this guy. There's a reason why 1) He was on the brink of retirement when the Skins begged him to come back 2) Noone else wanted him before his first contract with the Skins, or this offseason when he was a FA.
So I have mixed feelings about it. It's a predicament for sure.

Archived