Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

This is interesting...

very interesting. Kind of validates what I see when I watch Vea. Not very impressive in the games that I watched.

Payne stats are surprising. I have felt for awhile that Payne would slip to the 2nd like many bama tackles seem to do.

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

About the Rams trade they are really testing the idea of Free Agency. With so many of these guys on one year deals it’s the first time that a team used its cap space like that. If they don’t win it all this year they have a ton of cap space for next year and trying it again. Those dream teams of the past signed guys to back loaded contracts and didn’t sign a bunch of guys to one year deals. They are trying something different and I like it. 

A team full of players playing for a contract in the ultimate team sport -- what could go wrong?

On 4/3/2018 at 12:19 PM, Mr.Will said:

And to add to the comment of the doctors JUST FOUND the issue and corrected it??..that’s so suspect to me,what kind of medical personnel do you employ that can’t find a specific issue in three years of that same issue??..wasn’t it “turf toe” his rookie season??..was that the correct diagnosis or just thrown out to the media to explain that this guys basically made of light bulb glass without out right saying it??..and the fact that Jay still has faith in him brings our coaches judgment into question to me as well!!..to me if I employ someone to do a job 100% of the time and ONLY get 30-40% of the work out of him for,going on what 4 years now??..I’d strongly start to consider putting a Help Wanted sign up in my window for sure,just saying!!!

It's good they finally got to the root of the toe problems Now they only have to worry about the hamstring, chest, shoulder, knee, quad, thumb and ankle...

...and the head thing... Back in 2016 he feared concussions would end the football dream

But anyhow, the toe looks to be behind us (providing 100% successful recovery from the surgery, but then again that means Reed will only be 100% healthy, which means he has something like a 90% chance of being hurt again soon). 

Serious question - Who out there owned an RG3 jersey?

I did

I'm actually proud of RG for working hard and getting another career opportunity in the NFL. Even if he can't read a defense there are still Quarterbacks like Blaine Gabbert and Geno Smith getting chances to start. So why not RG3? 

The Ravens cannot continue to fire all these OC's and not put any blame on Flacco. So, it will be great and also hilarious when RG3 starts for them. 

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

:blush:

I still do....

To my credit, i got them at Modells when they were like $19 ea the year before he got released.... 

I don't know. I agree you spent less, but you bought a jersey when people knew he was garbage. I spent regular price when I thought he was the future of the team. 

Both were mistakes. Mine cost more, but it also had 'hope' factored into that price. You spent less, but it was probably a hopeless purchase. 

Just now, Unbias said:

I don't know. I agree you spent less, but you bought a jersey when people knew he was garbage. I spent regular price when I thought he was the future of the team. 

Both were mistakes. Mine cost less, but it also had 'hope' factored into that price. You spent less, but it was probably a hopeless purchase. 

yeah 1 of them was one of the authentic throwbacks, with the stitched lettering... i also figure some day i'll frame it front facing so there's not name... but have it as a keepsake.

There's also a pretty unique story involved with that throwback jersey that caused me to purchase one for a guy i was friends with at the time... 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

yeah 1 of them was one of the authentic throwbacks, with the stitched lettering... i also figure some day i'll frame it front facing so there's not name... but have it as a keepsake.

There's also a pretty unique story involved with that throwback jersey that caused me to purchase one for a guy i was friends with at the time... 

If it has a story it's always worth it. 

Personally I'm done with buying jerseys of active players. I'll wait for them to retire hoping to minimize my buyers remorse. 

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Holy ****. I would have bet every penny in TK's bank account that RG3 was finished and would never suit up again.

Ravens must be absolutely desperate. :rofl89:

He has two baby mommas he has to support now. 

51 minutes ago, Unbias said:

If it has a story it's always worth it. 

Personally I'm done with buying jerseys of active players. I'll wait for them to retire hoping to minimize my buyers remorse. 

Thats the way I do it too. I just got a Santana Moss off eBay used of course for 8 bucks delivered. Can’t go wrong with waiting

I am glad RG3 is back in the league and I hope he does well but I wish he wasn’t so close because now the local media will continue to discuss.

Also FML if Vikes play the Ravens in the Superbowl somehow.

11 minutes ago, dyst said:

Also FML if Vikes play the Ravens in the Superbowl somehow.

That would be an interesting game. Griffin taking sacks over and over as he's running around like a meth-addicted gazelle, and Cousins overthrowing wide open receivers and taking a knee on 4th and inches while being in field goal range.

The Titans hosted free agent NT Bennie Logan.

It's the first interest in Logan since he left Seattle without a deal. Logan could be a fallback for the Titans after they missed out on Ndamukong Suh. An early-down gap filler, he would upgrade Tennessee's run defense.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The Titans hosted free agent NT Bennie Logan.

It's the first interest in Logan since he left Seattle without a deal. Logan could be a fallback for the Titans after they missed out on Ndamukong Suh. An early-down gap filler, he would upgrade Tennessee's run defense.

Don't forget Seattle signed Tom Johnson for $2.1M/1 year and and Shamar Stephen for $2.1M/1 year after letting Logan walk. Obviously Logan wasn't going to take that low of a deal, but he knows where the DT floor is for a run stuffer. 

3 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

very interesting. Kind of validates what I see when I watch Vea. Not very impressive in the games that I watched.

Payne stats are surprising. I have felt for awhile that Payne would slip to the 2nd like many bama tackles seem to do.

I don't know if I trust that analysis. In the comments he added: 

I have every DT drafted since 2010 in my database. Now.. the caviate here is that these guys all ran sub 7.52 three cones.

I think you’re missing Will Sutton unless you’re not counting him as a DT?

I forgot to add that it's also took out players who ran worse than 5.25 40.

Completely forgot we have Datone Jones, he played well last season for us and I think hes gonna have a good season. Flying under the radar

It appears there was a lot more sorting that happened that was not made clear on by Mosher from the onset. I'd like to see all the variables that made that list. Seems like it's coming out as people are questioning it, which isn't always great. 

Good read on the Skins salary cap this year and beyond...

http://www.thehogsty.com/2018/04/03/salary-cap-and-roster-madness-2018-and-beyond/

Fans may think that the team is being cheap with its approach to free agency, but the truth is that there may be a plan in place to retain next year’s free agents without ruining the fairly good place the player payroll is in right now.

If the Redskins want to maintain a bit of wiggle room for emergencies, they can safely spend something in the neighborhood of about $10M for more free agents this offseason.

As the roster is currently constructed, Washington has approximately $166M in cap space obligated for the 2019 season, $132M for the 2020 season, $59M for the 2021 season, $44M for the 2022 season, and $0 for 2023.  Like I mentioned above, though, none of the money in 2021 or 2022 is something the team would not be able to dump if they so choose.

With that overview, let’s take a look at what’s coming for the team in the future.  The three most important names are Brandon Scherff, Preston Smith, and Jamison Crowder – all three are starters who will become unrestricted free agent after the 2018 season.  The team holds a one year, $12,525,000 fully guaranteed option on Scherff as a result of him being a 1st round draft pick.  While this amount is a bargain for a player of Scherff’s status, it should only be used as a last resort.  The Redskins would be fools not to lock him up to a 5 year extension.  His contract will be more than what Andrew Norwell just received from the Panthers, which was 5 years/$66.5M/$30M guaranteed, and an average annual value of $13.3M.   Think $15M per year or more for Scherff.  The team needs to make sure it maintains enough space in 2019 to make this happen.  Preston Smith isn’t on the level of Brandon Scherff, but he is a well respected edge rusher and quality run stopper who will likely command $10M or more in both average annual value and cap hit on the open market.  Crowder is perhaps worth less, but at a minimum is more accomplished and valuable than Paul Richardson, so think between at least $5M – $8M per year as a ballpark guess.

In other words, Washington will need to take on an additional hit in the general neighborhood of $30M – $33M in 2019.  If we assume that the 2019 salary cap will rise about $10M next year, as it did this year, and further assume that the team will have about $5M in rollover space from this year (it could be more; we’ll see), this means that the Redskins will need to take on an additional net of about $10M – $15M in liabilities to pay for these three players alone.  The more space they save this year the more space and rollover cap they will have for them.  And that’s just the big names; lesser players the Redskins may or may not want to keep such as Ziggy Hood, Anthony Lanier, Ty Nsekhe, and Colt McCoy will also be unrestricted free agents.

14 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Why is it absolute crickets on the hankins front? 

I get that guys sometimes like to take their time but why no visits or rumors or grumblings or anything, did he fall off the face of the earth? 

He wants more money than teams are offering. He has a hard ass agent that overinflates the worth of their clients (Kevin Posten). Until Hankins comes down on his asking price, he's going to be in limbo.

I would expect him to come down on his ask, and sign with a team, before the draft though. His leverage will decline if DT-needy teams decide to fill it with a draft pick.

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You gotta let a new GM pick his own guy.  If he wants to retain Jay, fine, but retaining the coach can’t be a term in the GM hiring process. 

I dont disagree, but I also think we are starting to see the results of continuity at that position. I dont want to blow it up again because bruce isnt a real gm. I'd rather give Jay a true evaluation period where he's getting what he wants/needs and not being hamstrung by frugal spending or power moves.

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You gotta let a new GM pick his own guy.  If he wants to retain Jay, fine, but retaining the coach can’t be a term in the GM hiring process. 

I think this depends on the situation and Dan can put in whatever power structure he wants but I would be quite happy with firing Bruce and letting Jay pick the GM and not the other way around.  

If Tennessee signs Logan, that takes another suitor for Hankins off the playing field. But it also takes away another option if Hankins doesn't lower his asking price enough. Also a bit concerned that the front office really is focused on filling the DT hole with a draft pick so that more money can be put towards re-signing the big free agents next year. I too agree that Hankins will sign before the draft. I guess we will find out in three weeks or less.

Archived