Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/kevin-hogan?id=2555263

Following Andrew Luck is not a fate I'd wish on anyone. Hogan's handled it very well, battling through inconsistency before leading the Cardinal to a Pac-12 title as a senior. He was named honorable mention All-Pac-12 and Pac-12 Championship Game MVP in his redshirt freshman year, but failed to earn any accolades in 2013 even though his team won the Pac-12 championship. Hogans numbers were actually pretty good in 2014 (65.9 percent, 2,792 yards, 19 touchdowns, eight interceptions), but the team had a disappointing 8-5 season, leading some to question his ability as a leader. However, he came back strong in 2015, improving his accuracy (67.8 completion percentage) while passing for 2,867 yards and 27 touchdowns to garner second-team All-Pac-12 honors and finishing as a finalist for the Manning Award as the nation's top quarterback. Hogan certainly looks the part (6-foot-4, 218), has football genes in his family (close relatives played at Navy, Arizona, and Notre Dame), has won a lot of games (36-10 as a starter), and possesses the athleticism to be effective running the zone read (85 carries, 336 yards, six touchdowns in 2015) at that size.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Consistent winner and tough. Scouts say his teammates and coaches see through deficiencies and trust the competitiveness above all else. Has NFL size. Benefited from playing in a pro­-style attack. Has adequate mobility and is unafraid to pull the ball down and get tough yards to extend drives. Extremely bright person. Doesn't always look pretty, but finds ways to make winning plays in adverse situations. Doesn't get cute and feeds his top talent. Tasked to manage the offense and did just that. Smart and self­-aware. Understands his strengths and weaknesses and doesnt take very many low percentage chances. Was the most accurate short-yardage passer in Pac-12 at 76.7 percent.

WEAKNESSES

Mechanics and footwork are a mess. Throws with a very wide base, a pitcher's stride and a protracted delivery. Ball rarely comes out of his hands cleanly. Plays flat­-footed in the pocket with little bounce as he scans field and does a poor job of re­setting and coming to balance before delivery. Below-average arm strength and struggles to consistently make accurate, catchable throws to the field side. Average at reading defenses, preventing him from getting ball out on time. Needs much more poise and pocket awareness. Had issues climbing and sliding to clean areas of the pocket when they were there. Drops eyes and immediately panics when pressure is mounting in his face. Took sacks he had no business taking. Lacking desired touch and accuracy on his deep throws.

4 hours ago, oraphus said:

Hell no on Howard. The guy is a 2 down thumper. No hands and often disappears in games. Perine and Kelley can be just as effective.

You don't watch enough non-Redskins football if you think Perine or Kelley are remotely comparable to Howard. 

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Seems like Jay wanted a young QB who was familiar with his system, which is obviously the case here.  I also hope this means we release McCoy and sign Hankins. 

Said that earlier buddy, I think we can save 3m by releasing McCoy, get HANKINS now, helps us with not having to draft NT in first 2 rounds, Hankins is only 25 and a perfect fit for the Skins Defense.

HTTR 

1 minute ago, markmills67 said:

Said that earlier buddy, I think we can save 3m by releasing McCoy, get HANKINS now, helps us with not having to draft NT in first 2 rounds, Hankins is only 25 and a perfect fit for the Skins Defense.

HTTR 

I suspect the 'skins coaching staff will want to see Hogan at least in OTA's before dumping McCoy. His draft profile weaknesses are pretty glaring and he certainly didn't shine when given his chance with the Browns (then again, it was the Browns)

RE: HOGAN

I actually love this move.  (I love it more than usual because I predicted it to my buddies a few weeks back)

My cousin is VERY close to this kid (as they were in high school at the same time together) so I will transcribe to you the text message convo he just screen-shotted to me word-for-word.... 

My Cuz:  Skinsssss!!!! LFG Congrats legend!

Hogan: Let's goooo

My Cuz: How pumped are you!?

Hogan: So ****ing pumped

Then my cousin kinda rambles on about how many jerseys he's going to sell in some non-sensical millennial-jabber...  Either way, not too often guys are "SO ****ING PUMPED" to play for the Skins! :headbang:

Welcome aboard, Kev!

Hogan definitely needs time.  Drafted him 2 years ago in the mock draft - liked what I saw from him (obviously) as a late rounder.  I agree with the posted analysis, but figured most of that can be cleaned up with proper coaching.  On the other hand, it’s hard to devote much time/effort to a developmental guy.  

I like the move though - he has the upside to become a backup qb and perhaps even a decent starter if given time to get comfortable in a system that fits.  

Edit:  part of why I drafted him for the Texans last year was because hand size was one of Bill O’Brien’s big requisites in a qb, and Hogan’s got some mitts on him.  

6 minutes ago, carex said:

maybe Smith liked him and recommended him

You have to think that is in play here. I mean, all the previous talk is that Colt is more than competent in this offense. Maybe we trade him for a later round pick to the Rams, saving 3mil in cap space in the process. 

1. I know nothing about Hogan, just found those tweets amusing.

VLvt-19V_bigger.jpgYerah Be GrandVerified account @Cianaf 3m3 minutes ago

More

Someone traded for Kevin Hogan....I am speechless.

2. Russell Wilson threw eight interceptable passes in one game last year and Hogan still had the worst single game display of anyone in 2017.

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
    1. More

Someone traded for Kevin Hogan....I am speechless.

2. M

Russell Wilson threw eight interceptable passes in one game last year and Hogan still had the worst single game display of anyone in 2017.

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Not sure how anyone's performance last year was worse than that Nathan Peterman guy on the Bills who threw 5 INTs in the first half.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not sure how anyone's performance last year was worse than that Nathan Peterman guy on the Bills who threw 5 INTs in the first half.

He threw as many pics in one half as Tyrod Taylor threw the whole season. Nearly cost the Bills the playoffs.

46 minutes ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

RE: HOGAN

I actually love this move.  (I love it more than usual because I predicted it to my buddies a few weeks back)

My cousin is VERY close to this kid (as they were in high school at the same time together) so I will transcribe to you the text message convo he just screen-shotted to me word-for-word.... 

My Cuz:  Skinsssss!!!! LFG Congrats legend!

Hogan: Let's goooo

My Cuz: How pumped are you!?

Hogan: So ****ing pumped

Then my cousin kinda rambles on about how many jerseys he's going to sell in some non-sensical millennial-jabber...  Either way, not too often guys are "SO ****ING PUMPED" to play for the Skins! :headbang:

Welcome aboard, Kev!

Considering he’s getting to leave the Browns..No Kidding,I’d be pumped as hell to get outta there too!!

42 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Peterman retired the title.  

And then Flacco threw for 28 yards in a game.  There were a few doozies.  

11 hours ago, oraphus said:

Hell no on Howard. The guy is a 2 down thumper. No hands and often disappears in games. Perine and Kelley can be just as effective.

Kelley ****in sucks....God willin that bum wont be on our roster come training camp. 

16 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Personally, I would love it if Nick Chubb fell to pick 44. IMO, that would be the absolute best value for the Skins.

Still think Chubb is being highly overlooked. I have him essentially tied with Guice on my board. Sure, he had a major injury, but he is now 2 years removed, and looking close to the guy blew up SPARQ scores and was a freshman sensation. Chubb is bigger, stronger, and faster than Michel, runs with a much lower pad angle, and has better vision and burst than Michel, IMO. Thinking he could be a steal in the mid second round, if he falls like some have projected.

You obviously havent watched Michel play if you think Chubb is remotely close to having Michels speed. That's like sayin Brandon Jacobs was faster than Tiki Barber. Chubb is a beast, but Im tired of having RBs with subpar speed. We need a game changing back with speed. Michel wont make it out of the 2nd round.....

11 hours ago, Unbias said:

When looking at the running game I just want something that is respected by the opponent. Right now the way I see our run game is that we are very specialized. If Thompson is in you go with a nickle look where he has to be accounted for as a receiver. If Fat Rob is in then you really just focus between the tackles. It gives the defense defined reads by the personal that's on the field. 

That's why I'm a big advocate of going RB early. Get someone who keeps the D off balance and have the other players compliment what that RB brings. 

I'll be pissed if Fat Rob makes our roster.  Draft pick - Perine - CT.....

Archived