Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

8 minutes ago, dyst said:

Our previous seven drafts. Out of 59 total picks, 11 remain on our team. The last three years, we've gotten much better at drafting. But again, it's because we really suck at it. I'm not sure how this stacks up against other teams. I can't believe we have no one from the 2012 draft left on this team. RG3 was rookie of the year, Kirk looked awesome, Morris was incredible. Shows how quickly things change. I don't have 2017 included, but we've kept everyone from it. 

1. Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
5. Matt Ioanndis, DL, Temple
7. Keith Marshall, RB, Georgia

1. Brandon Scherff, OL, Iowa
2. Preston Smith, LB, Mississippi State
4. Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke
4. Arie Kouandjio, OL, Alabama
5. Martrell Spaight, LB, Arkansas

3. Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia

3. Jordan Reed, TE, Florida
5. Chris Thompson, RB, Florida State

1. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

1. Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

13.  Keith marshall is still around, just on IR, Arie Kouandijo was cut but brought back

add 10 from last year that makes 23

plus we have several UDFA making contributions to the team.  Everett, Dunbar, Kelley, Maurice Harris

we're getting better at scouting at least.  The frustrating thing is in the last few years there were several guys we wanted to keep, but had bad luck or made mistakes trying to manage the roster.  If the Skins had their preference, Sudfeld, Reiter, Jarrett and Mitchel would still be here

29 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Although we did appear to ask about Sullivan in free agency before he went back to the Rams. So that maybe isn't a given about Roullier.

we don't have a backup C at this point and he was probably cheaper than Long

That deal for McPhee is cheeeap.  Based on that, it better be the only reason Hankins wasnt signed is because he just didnt want to be here so he ignored our lucrative offer. Considering if we pick up another linemen we will cut McClain and save $3.5 million with a post June 1st, that leaves us with over $22 million.  We need $3.5 for rookies and probably will use the $3.5 for McClain to cover emergency needs.  That leaves us with $15 million to spend on 1-2 players to improve a team that, so far, has improved maybe one position, WR, and gotten weaker at CB and OG.

11 minutes ago, -JB- said:

You know he was drunk as hell when he interviewed Cravens lolol

Scot - Ok Sueya so they call you Suzie amiright??

Cravens - No that’s just my Twitter... *Scot interrupts*

Scot - Don’t you hate it when you step on a ****ing LEGO? Those little ****ers come out of nowhere, I don’t even have any kids, that’s what’s most funny about it.  Can you imagin if a football was made out of LEGO’s?? Imagine a fumble and 6 different guys got the ball cause it explodes into pieces *hiccups* So what’s your name again??

Think they were both a lil tippsy at that one..would’ve loved to have been the fly on that wall!!

24 minutes ago, dyst said:

Our previous seven drafts. Out of 59 total picks, 11 remain on our team. The last three years, we've gotten much better at drafting. But again, it's because we really suck at it. I'm not sure how this stacks up against other teams. I can't believe we have no one from the 2012 draft left on this team. RG3 was rookie of the year, Kirk looked awesome, Morris was incredible. Shows how quickly things change. I don't have 2017 included, but we've kept everyone from it. 

1. Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
2. Su'a Cravens, S, USC 
3. Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
5. Matt Ioanndis, DL, Temple
6. Nate Sudfeld, QB, Indiana
7. Steven Daniels, LB, Boston College
7. Keith Marshall, RB, Georgia

1. Brandon Scherff, OL, Iowa
2. Preston Smith, LB, Mississippi State 
3. Matt Jones, RB, Florida
4. Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke
4. Arie Kouandjio, OL, Alabama
5. Martrell Spaight, LB, Arkansas
6. Kyshoen Jarrett, DB, Virginia Tech
6. Tevin Mitchel, CB, Arkansas
6. Evan Spencer, WR, Ohio State
7. Austin Reiter, OL, South Florida

2. Trent Murphy, OLB, Stanford
3. Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
3. Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska
4. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson
5. Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane
6. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
7. Ted Bolser, TE, Indiana
7. Zach Hocker, K, Arkansas 

2. David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State
3. Jordan Reed, TE, Florida
4. Phillip Thomas, SS, Fresno State
5. Chris Thompson, RB, Florida State
5. Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
6. Bacarri Rambo, SS, Georgia
7. Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers

1. Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
3. Josh LeRibeus, OG, SMU
4. Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan St.
4. Keenan Robinson, ILB, Texas
5. Adam Gettis, OG, Iowa
6. Alfred Morris, RB, Florida Atlantic
6. Tom Compton, OT, South Dakota
7. Richard Crawford, CB, SMU
7. Jordan Bernstine, S, Iowa

1. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
2. Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson
3. Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
4. Roy Helu, RB, Nebraska
5. DeJon Gomes, S, Nebraska
5. Niles Paul, WR, Nebraska
6. Evan Royster, RB, Penn State
6. Aldrick Robinson, WR, SMU
7. Brandyn Thompson, CB, Boise State
7. Maurice Hurt, OL, Florida
7. Markus White, LB, Florida State
7. Chris Neild, NT, West Virginia

1. Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
4. Perry Riley, LB, LSU
5. Dennis Morris, TE, Louisiana Tech
7. Terrence Austin, WR, UCLA
7. Erik Cook, C, New Mexico
7. Selvish Capers, OT, West Virginia

Go back and look at the teams we traditionally think build extremely well through the draft - teams like the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, and Seahawks. The most you get as contributors that last in a given draft is around 3-4. I'd say 2 lasting contributors per draft is around average, whereas 1 is below average/bad. Some of the players you draft will be successful and go onto other teams and that's okay.  

Should be noted, picking at 106:

Only 4 guards were selected before that pick in 2017

4 in 2016

6 in 2015

8 in 2014

7 in 2013

9 in 2012

The league has been trending to picking guards later in the draft. At #106, we should be able to add one of the 4th-6th best guard prospects. We can also use our extra 5th to move up, or we can hedge our bets and pick at #106 and #142/163.

All signs point to adding an interior defensive lineman, running back, and left guard in April

33 minutes ago, carex said:

we don't have a backup C at this point and he was probably cheaper than Long

Well he was cheaper than Long, but got a 2 year 10mil deal, rising to 15mil with incentives, from the Rams. Doubt he was seen as a back up.

7 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

All signs point to adding an interior defensive lineman, running back, and left guard in April

I do agree that if I had to use the current picks and predict positions in order it would be DL, RB, OG. But keep in mind, Guards just started catching up and setting their own massive market in FA. Andrew Norwell just got $13m APY. Scherff likely to get that next year. So teams might start valuing the position more, which could lead to more 2nd and 3rd round OGs compared to previous years. But that could just be anecdotal on my part.

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Your damn right I did. Make what you will about Baker but the fact is that in 2016 this defense was ranked 21st in the league against the rusher and without him and after adding those two FA's, Jonathan Allen, and the rest of the new guys they ranked 32nd. Baker signed a deal worth 5.25 milly a year, instead of signing him they choose two guys for more than that. This decision not only cost them compensatory picks it ultimately was a terrible decision to make and didn't work.

Until they decide to get serious with a NT things will continue to suck. Letting Baker go last offseason so they could sign two scrubs is just another example of Bruce being too cheap at the position for this teams own good. 

I am not exactly defending Allen and the FO, they carry plenty of blame for this average team. But lets be realistic here.. X+Y does not always equal 2

In 2017 the dline and the rest of the team had an unprecedented amount of injuries which is the main reason why our run D sucked... NOT because Baker left. Dont make the mistake of equating Baker to the reason we were ranked 22 - 2016 vs 32- 2017 in run D... not to mention that Tampa run D was as bad as Skins run D which shows that your theory carries 0 water.

McGee was actually OK in spots..probably earned his contract. McClain sucked but again.. it wasn't a large investment and will most likely get cut after the draft.

Agree that there is a need for a true nose.. but not all that on board for bringing in a 10mil per year 2 down player. There is a reason why no other team signed him yet, he is not worth the contract he is seeking, plus there is got to be something to the point that he got cut 1 year in to a 3 year contract, after earning most of the guarantees in year one. I dont exactly believe the "he didn't fit our scheme excuse".

This forum cracks me up... During the Vinny years, everyone b!tched and moaned about the fact that every player with a name would be brought in just to get paid and underperform.

The last few years, people b!tch about the fact that Skins are not active in FA, when in reality.. very few of the shopping sprees other teams go through work out for them in the long run and seem to not understand that the few truly marquee players that end up playing up to their contracts(C.Campbell) might not have wanted to sign with the skins even is skins offered the most money.

I am actually on board with the FA strategy this year:

1. Identify your must have players that cover biggest needs and do what it takes to get them, within reason without significantly overpaying.  (A. Smith, Richardson) The FA class this year has been underwhelming. I am not upset at not getting any of the other players.

2. Bring in role players on the cheap that can help in rotational duties with potential to blow up.

3. develop your own draft and give them every opportunity to start.

4. Let your average to good players leave if there is ediqute replacement in place and get comp picks in return.

5. Leave enough cap to resign your elite players in the coming year (Sherff, crowder, smith)

6. Leave enough cap space available  in case an elite talent FA becomes available late to make a run at (Norman)

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I do agree that if I had to use the current picks and predict positions in order it would be DL, RB, OG. But keep in mind, Guards just started catching up and setting their own massive market in FA. Andrew Norwell just got $13m APY. Scherff likely to get that next year. So teams might start valuing the position more, which could lead to more 2nd and 3rd round OGs compared to previous years. But that could just be anecdotal on my part.

For sure. I think guards have long been the most undervalued position in the game, and that could be changing. With next year's 4 extra conditional picks essentially in tow, I think we also are likely to trade our given 3rd or 4th round 2019 picks to move up in this draft. Either for the RB we're targeting or LG or both. Think this is all the more likely given the urgency this organization clearly has to win now (which, to me, makes their free agency patience all the more impressive, especially as they're hyper-aware of fan discontentment)

30 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

That deal for McPhee is cheeeap.  Based on that, it better be the only reason Hankins wasnt signed is because he just didnt want to be here so he ignored our lucrative offer. Considering if we pick up another linemen we will cut McClain and save $3.5 million with a post June 1st, that leaves us with over $22 million.  We need $3.5 for rookies and probably will use the $3.5 for McClain to cover emergency needs.  That leaves us with $15 million to spend on 1-2 players to improve a team that, so far, has improved maybe one position, WR, and gotten weaker at CB and OG.

Bruce said FA was over for us outside of someone getting cut yesterday. Which sucks imo and only another log on the fire for what an idiot he is to me.

Your numbers are right, there is enough needs on the team and money to add guys, but he wants to just kick back and wait for the Normans to come rolling in. Maybe this year it's Leveon Bell. Wouldn't that be nice? I'm sure the thoughts crossed his mind. 

About Cravens, if he balls out and plays great for Denver we got screwed.

Yup I said it.

Much like I said we should all be withholding judgment about the Pernell situation waiting for the contract details to come out now is way too soon to judge this trade. About Pernell love the deal, cheap one year, comp picks next offseason when he leaves. Good job on that one. 

I will say it, hopefully Sua retires again and we look at this deal later and think man they were brillant to do this deal but without knowing how much good a year off does for him who knows. Truth is If they just gave up a good safety for a 5th round pick and a couple picks up in the middle rounds no way in hell any one looks back at today and thinks they did good. Its too soon to tell imo

I am good with the Sua trade....... especially after seeing the cryptic tweet from former agent. Hope he matures and has a semi successful career, not likely but wish him the best all the same. Pissed though...... When he picked the Giants for the win I had flashbacks. 

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

If it was me I'd package the 13th pick and all of the comp picks they are getting next year and move up so I could draft Barkley and finally address that. But I know no chance in hell that's happening with Bruce running the show. 

C'mon man.  Not even Bruce would trade with Bruce for this.

No team is not gonna want a bunch of crappy picks in NEXT YEARS DRAFT!  Who would want to do that when Barkley would be more valuable then all those picks NEXT YEAR put together?

@bobandweave going back to my point yesterday ... I had even forgotten about Crowder coming due for a contract. But the cap space doesn't look great next year. Sure we can cut some underachievers, but if we want to keep Scherff, Smith and Crowder we'd better get ready to pay some big $$ and right now, signing Hankins would substantially limit our ability to do that.

So if the mind set is that we have a quality DL and we can become really good to dominant by drafting Vita Vea or Daron Payne in the 1st ... or add the missing piece with a 4th or 5th round prospect we have our eyes on, I'm perfectly fine with this mindset for free agency.

We can never fill every hole. And I think the FO sees what's ahead as far as the impending contracts, and is being diligent in how we approach free agency and are looking to continue to build through the draft.

With a healthy Jonathan Allen and Mason Foster, our run defense last year was pretty good. Not amazing, or Top 10 ... but solid. And Allen was a rookie in his first NFL games. McGee also came on a bit more toward the end of the year. Ionidis, when healthy, played very well too. Yes, I would have loved Hankins, but if the team thinks the DL is improved just by being healthy, and is planning to "address the run defense" by investing in the DL again in the draft, it's kind of hard to argue against that.

We can argue all day long (in the draft thread) if Vea or Payne are worth #13. But if the team thinks they are, and their abilities match what some draftniks think, our DL will be dominant and home-built and on rookie deals.

You're acting like our defensive line is in shambles. We have a 2017 Top 3 prospect that fell to #17 and got hurt (in an unrelated injury to the one that caused him to fall) ... and a 5th rounder going into his 3rd year who completely emerged as a high-end talent. Our hole is at NT, and this team clearly thinks that is a hole that can be addressed through the draft.

Allen - Vea - Ionidis is a VERY formidable DL. And those 3 will be in Years 2-1-3 respectively. Backed up by Lanier and McGee and either Hood or McClain ... that's a solid unit.

Some on here forget that at times last year down the stretch we were playing without Allen, Ionidis, and our 2nd, 3rd and 4th ILB. Our defense in some games had Zach Brown playing alongside Zach Vigil and behind Lanier, McClain and McGee on the DL.

That's a far fry from what we are looking at with Allen-Vea-Ionidis backed by Brown and Foster.

Lanier and McGee are average-level starters who are quality backup/rotational pieces who were forced to start and were backed up by guys like Hood/Francis/name your PS DLmen. Allen/Vea/Ionidis would be very good to elite level starters.

20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Lanier and McGee are average-level starters who are quality backup/rotational pieces who were forced to start and were backed up by guys like Hood/Francis/name your PS DLmen. Allen/Vea/Ionidis would be very good to elite level starters.

I wouldn't go that far with either player, especially Lanier. We saw it in Baker's growth in the system. I think Lanier is just beginning to tap into his potential and it wouldn't surprise me to see him have a year similar to Matt I's 2017. If you remember Matt also had a step up late in 2016. I do wonder if a line of Allen / Matt / Lanier is possible or if that would be forcing Matt to try to play out of position (remember he was supposed to be a NT as a rookie).

As far as McGee, he started off meh and played really well later in the year. I wonder if it was a communication thing and one of understanding more of the system and what's being asked of him. If thats the case I think he can grow more into his role. I would say the same about McClain and say that both the Mcs have resumes that say they can be valuable members of our line.

That said, I wouldn't think twice about replacing some of the bottom tier guys for some better players. And I'm not defending Hood. In fact, I'd have Francis playing over Hood in the next minicamp. But if we can bring in talent who is better, I'd get rid of Hood first, then McClain then McGee.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

@UnbiasI started to check - found that the Broncos have pick 163 in the 5th rd from Atlanta, and then saw that the trade charts have 163 listed as a 6th rounder...yeah, I’m done.  

Fine. I'll do it. I used Walterfootball's chart, but there really isn't much of a difference. 

What Denver gave up: 

109th overall pick = 76 points

142nd overall pick = 35 points

163rd overall pick = 26 points

Conditional 2019 6th rounder = 3 points (general rule of thumb is to add a round to current values. Made it one of the last 5 picks based on playoff condition & comp picks to be added)

Total = 137-140 points

Washington gave up:

113th overall pick = 68

149th overall pick = 32

Total = 100

By that math Cravens = 37-40 points, which depending on the comp pick is worth something between the 132nd to 138th pick of this draft (an early 5th rounder). 

or per the PFT article

...basically, Washington is getting a fifth-round pick and change for Cravens, whom coach Jay Gruden previously said they wouldn’t trade.

Denver had 3 picks in the 5th round.  I'm sorry if I missed it, but does anyone know which of Denver's picks are they swapping with us? and which pick are they giving us?

Just now, dswerdlw said:

Denver had 3 picks in the 5th round.  I'm sorry if I missed it, but does anyone know which of Denver's picks are they swapping with us? and which pick are they giving us?

Thanks, Unbias, for answering my question.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

You have to also take into  account the people that have signed with other teams. That is part of the game. You simply cant pay everyone to stay. It looks A LOT different when you realize the following players are still playing in the NFL Add these in and we dont suck at drafting AT ALL. IMO we have been damn good at it. Especially when the average NFL career is 3.3 years!

2016: Cravens, Sudfeld and Fuller

2015: Jones, Kouandijio

2014: Murphy, Long, Breeland and Grant

2013: Amerson, Rambo?

2012: LeRibuis, Cousins, Morris, Compton

2011: Helu, Paul

2010: Riley?

1 hour ago, Rskins91 said:

Go back and look at the teams we traditionally think build extremely well through the draft - teams like the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, and Seahawks. The most you get as contributors that last in a given draft is around 3-4. I'd say 2 lasting contributors per draft is around average, whereas 1 is below average/bad. Some of the players you draft will be successful and go onto other teams and that's okay.  

That last part in bold shouldn't be overlooked. There's a difference between drafted players no longer being on the team due to underperforming and no longer being on the team because other teams wanted to sign them when given the chance. If anyone wants to view how well the Skins have drafted, they should look at how many players became starters and are still starters in the league.

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

I am not exactly defending Allen and the FO, they carry plenty of blame for this average team. But lets be realistic here.. X+Y does not always equal 2

In 2017 the dline and the rest of the team had an unprecedented amount of injuries which is the main reason why our run D sucked... NOT because Baker left. Dont make the mistake of equating Baker to the reason we were ranked 22 - 2016 vs 32- 2017 in run D... not to mention that Tampa run D was as bad as Skins run D which shows that your theory carries 0 water.

McGee was actually OK in spots..probably earned his contract. McClain sucked but again.. it wasn't a large investment and will most likely get cut after the draft.

Agree that there is a need for a true nose.. but not all that on board for bringing in a 10mil per year 2 down player. There is a reason why no other team signed him yet, he is not worth the contract he is seeking, plus there is got to be something to the point that he got cut 1 year in to a 3 year contract, after earning most of the guarantees in year one. I dont exactly believe the "he didn't fit our scheme excuse".

This forum cracks me up... During the Vinny years, everyone b!tched and moaned about the fact that every player with a name would be brought in just to get paid and underperform.

The last few years, people b!tch about the fact that Skins are not active in FA, when in reality.. very few of the shopping sprees other teams go through work out for them in the long run and seem to not understand that the few truly marquee players that end up playing up to their contracts(C.Campbell) might not have wanted to sign with the skins even is skins offered the most money.

I am actually on board with the FA strategy this year:

1. Identify your must have players that cover biggest needs and do what it takes to get them, within reason without significantly overpaying.  (A. Smith, Richardson) The FA class this year has been underwhelming. I am not upset at not getting any of the other players.

2. Bring in role players on the cheap that can help in rotational duties with potential to blow up.

3. develop your own draft and give them every opportunity to start.

4. Let your average to good players leave if there is ediqute(adequate) replacement in place and get comp picks in return.

5. Leave enough cap to resign your elite players in the coming year (Sherff, crowder, smith)

6. Leave enough cap space available  in case an elite talent FA becomes available late to make a run at (Norman)

Somebody actually gets it. Thank you @oraphus. You gave me hope on this board. I completely agree.

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You have to also take into  account the people that have signed with other teams. That is part of the game. You simply cant pay everyone to stay. It looks A LOT different when you realize the following players are still playing in the NFL Add these in and we dont suck at drafting AT ALL. IMO we have been damn good at it. Especially when the average NFL career is 3.3 years!

2016: Cravens, Sudfeld and Fuller

2015: Jones, Kouandijio

2014: Murphy, Long, Breeland and Grant

2013: Amerson, Rambo?

2012: LeRibuis, Cousins, Morris, Compton

2011: Helu, Paul

2010: Riley?

Riley, Helu and Rambo seem done currently

Add Jarvis Jenkins, Aldrick Robinson, Keenan Robinson, Adam Gettis, Tevin Mitchel and Austin Reiter,

Archived