Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

55 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

That would be me, and I was way out !!

No big deal, 74 and I apologize as I wasn't calling you out in a negative way.  I just remembered that we were throwing numbers out.  We were both way off.  :)  I can't believe the Skins pulled off a deal with McPhee like they did.  Outstanding by Allen and Co.  Got to give them credit where credit is due. 

4 minutes ago, JWB said:

Completely agree with you here on LG.This will have to be a draft focus at this point as it is arguably more important than a RB.. our talent/depth here is nonexistent.

Sounds like the plan is to hope one is cut late for cap purposes.  I don't even know who the best available FA guards are out there now, any idea?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If it was all about finding ways to save money.  The FO would be one of the best in the league -- Belichick category.  I don't think too many people think the FO sucks but that its mediocre.   I think mediocre fits their off season so far.  Not great.  Not awful.  If its all about finding good deals -- I agree this FO has that part of it down. But as for building a roster -- so so.  

QB might be a wash.  Gain Scandrick, McPhee, Richardson.  Lose:  Murphy, Galette, Grant, Breeland, Fuller.  The biggest weaknesses before the off season arguably were RB and DT.  Biggest weaknesses now?  the same. 

But we will see what they have next in store.  I suspect they got something else cooking.  they typically do in April. 

Guessing but I think that Allen said in the interview with JP Finley that they have their eyes set on releases from other teams.  This would not affect their comp. picks so we shall see.  I think if a OC, OG or another DT (Big guy) are released they will set up visit(s).  

*** Note *** The reason I mention OC is because they might move the kid they drafted from Montana over to OG where he played that position in CFB. 

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Sounds like the plan is to hope one is cut late for cap purposes.  I don't even know who the best available FA guards are out there now, any idea?

ALex Boone and Luke Joeckel are still out there. But in all honesty there wasnt a whole lot of great talent behind Norwell this year. Skins could be waiting for the pre camp cuts I would guess?

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

ALex Boone and Luke Joeckel are still out there. But in all honesty there wasnt a whole lot of great talent behind Norwell this year. Skins could be waiting for the pre camp cuts I would guess?

So the strategy is a hope and a prayer.  Always a rock solid plan.  They could always bring back Josh LeRebius who may have been the worst OL this team has had in decades. 

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

So the strategy is a hope and a prayer.  Always a rock solid plan.  They could always bring back Josh LeRebius who may have been the worst OL this team has had in decades. 

We couldnt really afford Norwell so I am not gonna go all crazy that we havent signed anyone yet. We will be adding somebody. Probably 2 in all honesty from both the draft and FA. You cant have pro bowlers at every position on your team man :)

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If it was all about finding ways to save money.  The FO would be one of the best in the league -- Belichick category.  I don't think too many people think the FO sucks but that its mediocre.   I think mediocre fits their off season so far.  Not great.  Not awful.  If its all about finding good deals -- I agree this FO has that part of it down. But as for building a roster -- so so.  

QB might be a wash.  Gain Scandrick, McPhee, Richardson.  Lose:  Murphy, Galette, Grant, Breeland, Fuller.  The biggest weaknesses before the off season arguably were RB and DT.  Biggest weaknesses now?  the same. 

But we will see what they have next in store.  I suspect they got something else cooking.  they typically do in April. 

Fair enough.....perhaps I overreacted. Frankly, IMO it's tiresome reading some members' repeated bashing of the FO. I think it's best to wait until late in the off-season to evaluate FA, draft, etc. as a whole. I get that our FO is far from perfect but I wish, collectively, we could give them more credit when when credit is due. 

HTTR

44 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We couldnt really afford Norwell so I am not gonna go all crazy that we havent signed anyone yet. We will be adding somebody. Probably 2 in all honesty from both the draft and FA. You cant have pro bowlers at every position on your team man :)

Oh I get that. But what if nobody cuts a guard?  We reach, passing up better players, to spend a 2nd on one because we have to have one?  That's always a recipe for disaster.  Trust this front office to find a rookie who can start and be an upgrade over what we've had in round 4 or later?

I'm not in a panic, just wondering how they will do it.  And of course I have little confidence in this FO to find a solution. But you are right, it's early.

1 minute ago, Fight for ole DC said:

Fair enough.....perhaps I overreacted. Frankly, IMO it's tiresome reading some members' repeated bashing of the FO. I think it's best to wait until late in the off-season to evaluate FA, draft, etc. as a whole. I get that our FO is far from perfect but I wish, collectively, we could give them more credit when when credit is due. 

HTTR

I agree. Being told you were disingenuous and your not complying to the FO sucks narrative was funny. Its like being told to sit in a corner untill you conform. The sky is after all falling. 

15 minutes ago, Fight for ole DC said:

HTTR

You just have to ignore the haters man. There are some that are so hurt by losing certain players that no matter what the FO does they wont be happy. There is an ignore feature on the site that works great. Just saying.

16 hours ago, oraphus said:

Are you seriously using Baker as an example? The guys was a diva and lazy. That is the reason why Washington did not tender him an offer and also the reason why he got cut by Tampa 1y in to a 3y deal since their run D and overall D was the worst in the NFL...and thats with MCcoy on the other side. Not resigning him was one of the better moves for this FO last season.

Your damn right I did. Make what you will about Baker but the fact is that in 2016 this defense was ranked 21st in the league against the rusher and without him and after adding those two FA's, Jonathan Allen, and the rest of the new guys they ranked 32nd. Baker signed a deal worth 5.25 milly a year, instead of signing him they choose two guys for more than that. This decision not only cost them compensatory picks it ultimately was a terrible decision to make and didn't work.

Until they decide to get serious with a NT things will continue to suck. Letting Baker go last offseason so they could sign two scrubs is just another example of Bruce being too cheap at the position for this teams own good. 

15 hours ago, skinny21 said:

First of all, I think you always want a developmental TE.  Secondly, you’re saying these guys take a year or two to develop, so doesn’t it make sense to draft one now, let them develop this year and then reevaluate next year (regarding Davis and Reed)?  Can always cut both and sign a guy... and then we also have 2 developing guys behind that FA.  If I could avoid bringing in a FA TE that brings an 8mil or whatever cap hit, I try to do that by developing draftees.   

First off there is no rule of needing a developing TE on a teams roster. None. Second off that's a problem to me. The way the TE develops and takes 2-3 years to be good why waste a draft pick on developing one that you can reasonably expect to leave and go to another team for his best years or be forced to pay a high price to keep?

Why not let another team draft a guy, then in free agency sign him? Trey Burton this year is an example of a team doing that.

Either way the teams going to be paying a high price to get a good TE, except with drafting one of these projects you don't know if they will ever be good. You don't waste the roster spot on a guy the team can't use. You avoid having to use a draft pick on a position that is hard to get a return from on a rookie deal. 

This way you end up with a good TE because they have already developed. You speak as if developing a TE is something this teams known to do. Cooley was a 3rd round pick, Reed was a 3rd round pick. Those aren't developmental guys. What TE have they developed that was a low round 6-7th round pick? Doesn't happen

I have some hope for Kalis and Catalina.  Catalina transferred to Georgia for one year and played tackle... he’s a much better fit inside though (which will take time to adjust to).  Thought Kalis had a solid offseason last year and should have made the team.  Of course, he went to another team (was it the Colts?) and was cut - doesn’t necessarily mean much of course.  

I think we can live with letting these guys develop and compete for the starting gig, even if it’s not ideal, but Roullier has to really pan out in that case.  We can’t have two weaker links on the line, let alone the interior.  Would prefer them as depth, but I kinda doubt they both make the squad (due to lack of versatility)... we need a G/C and G/T.  Still think bringing in a dirt cheap vet to compete in TC, like Bergstrom, would be smart.  

LG is definitely one of our top 3 needs, but I could live with what we’ve got if we landed a top DT and RB (and if Sprinkle really comes on as a blocker - gotta bolster the run blocking, regardless if we get a new back).  

Was looking into Pipkens at NT... didn’t realize he was a 5 star recruit that went to Michigan.  Sustained some injuries though - couple concussions and an ACL (no good).  Wound up transferring to Texas Tech because Harbaugh wanted to free up the scholarship.  Not expecting much, but maybe, just maybe, we can live with more of a DT pick-up and Pipkens can handle the few amount of snaps we need from a NT.  Overall though, if he can’t offer much versatility, he’s probably not making the team.  He does have some surprising athleticism according to scouting reports, and supposedly doesn’t/didn’t carry much bad weight, so maybe he can move around a bit.  

Francis and Lanier are the ones I’m looking forward to seeing - Hood and McClain just don’t seem worth it.  I’m gonna keep my mind open though - Hood is much better suited to DE (there’s a lot of history there - 1 gap in college vs 2 gap for Pittsburgh), and I’m fine with McClain getting another shot this offseason.  If he just barely edges out a young guy though, I’m not gonna be thrilled.. I’d rather the upside.

All in all, I don’t want to have to look forward to unproven fliers.  I want to add some studs that make me not really care that much about the tail end of the roster.  

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:02 AM, JSSkinz said:

This probably doesn't help us, out of the top 10 most expensive counties to live in the U.S. 5 are in the DMV.

Washington, D.C., is more expensive than New York City

1. Washington, D.C.

A family of four needs $106,493 just to get by in Washington — making this city the most expensive place for parents to raise two children. Child care here is particularly pricey, at $31,158 a year, on average — that’s the highest in the country.

https://www.marke****ch.com/story/10-most-expensive-places-to-raise-a-family-in-the-us-2015-08-26

Yes. But if you are a young black athlete, it's also one of the five best places to live. (NY, LA, Miami, possibly Chicago or Houston).

If cost of living was a factor with these guys, Green Bay would be beating back free agents with a stick.

21 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You just have to ignore the haters man. There are some that are so hurt by losing certain players that no matter what the FO does they wont be happy. There is an ignore feature on the site that works great. Just saying.

If I didn't hate this team, I wouldn't be paying attention at this point. The two emotions they can currently generate are hate and indifference. Hate at least means I care.

I mean, I love the fact that as long as you are related to someone famous, you will be allowed to see your 15 year rebuilding plan all the way to the end.

7 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Your damn right I did. Make what you will about Baker but the fact is that in 2016 this defense was ranked 21st in the league against the rusher and without him and after adding those two FA's, Jonathan Allen, and the rest of the new guys they ranked 32nd. Baker signed a deal worth 5.25 milly a year, instead of signing him they choose two guys for more than that. This decision not only cost them compensatory picks it ultimately was a terrible decision to make and didn't work.

Until they decide to get serious with a NT things will continue to suck. Letting Baker go last offseason so they could sign two scrubs is just another example of Bruce being too cheap at the position for this teams own good. 

First off there is no rule of needing a developing TE on a teams roster. None. Second off that's a problem to me. The way the TE develops and takes 2-3 years to be good why waste a draft pick on developing one that you can reasonably expect to leave and go to another team for his best years or be forced to pay a high price to keep?

Why not let another team draft a guy, then in free agency sign him? Trey Burton this year is an example of a team doing that.

Either way the teams going to be paying a high price to get a good TE, except with drafting one of these projects you don't know if they will ever be good. You don't waste the roster spot on a guy the team can't use. You avoid having to use a draft pick on a position that is hard to get a return from on a rookie deal. 

This way you end up with a good TE because they have already developed. You speak as if developing a TE is something this teams known to do. Cooley was a 3rd round pick, Reed was a 3rd round pick. Those aren't developmental guys. What TE have they developed that was a low round 6-7th round pick? Doesn't happen

you need more than one player.  The Skins got two DL for just a big more than the price of Baker.  They didn't know they'd be getting Jonathan Allen in the draft.  It's the same with TE, you need more than one guy, but you also can't pay two guys starter money

15 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I can't say they won't be right and that next year won't be a better season. When healthy, the Skins were looking like a legit playoff team. They had the Saints beat in New Orleans and blew it. They could've beaten KC in KC and they did beat the Rams on the road. We lost to the Eagles on opening day in a close game and showed glimpses of being a very physical team that was a tough matchup for some of the better teams. Add a healthy Reed, Allen, Thompson, and others, upgrade at running back and mix in some key draft picks with the free agents signed and you never know. A lot of this is gonna come down to how well Alex Smith plays and how quickly he and Gruden get on the same page. JG seems excited to have Smith and seems to think he can expand the offense....hard to write them off in March when we haven't even seen the full roster yet. I think we have some competitive guys on both sides of the ball and that this team can be a factor next year. It's not like the rest of the league is all that good....including the Eagles.

I'm not saying that the teams definitely no matter what going to suck next year. Alex Smith has turned chicken **** into chicken salad before. Won't surprise me if he does it again. As of right now the problem with the 2018 season is we have seen this before and the ceiling is 8-8. 

Until Bruce shows an ability to address the needs on the team - NT, RB - The same issues they had last season - The same issues they have had since Jay got here - then how can someone be sure they ever will address these issues?

No throwing mid and late round draft picks at this problem isn't addressing it. No bringing in cheap bargain basement free agents isn't addressing this to me either.

The same issues they had entering the 2017 season they still do.

They are done with free agency pretty much and still haven't bothered to address the number one issues yet. 

Yes we have the draft upcoming. Does that mean they will use the top picks to address these issues? No. We can hope they do but nothing is for certain.

If it was me I'd package the 13th pick and all of the comp picks they are getting next year and move up so I could draft Barkley and finally address that. But I know no chance in hell that's happening with Bruce running the show. Once they address these issues with top picks then I will re-evaluate. Until they do it's just insanity 

16 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

There is a ton of hindsight in this post and frankly with that we could all be HOF GMs.  For what it's worth McClain graded out as a better player than Baker in 2016 and so on the face of it we upgraded by swapping them and added McGee for more depth.  I get that it did not work but on the face of it when the deal was made it was a good decision.  It also bears repeating that we drew up our free agency hit list last year with GMSM and did not deviate from the guys he scouted so the fact that the Mcs busted is on Scott as much as it is on Bruce.

@bobandweave I understand your frustration, and I'm not one to necessarily put full trust in Brucy to get the right things done ... but ..

1. you can't trade future comp. picks that haven't even been assigned yet and won't be assigned until next year post superbowl ..

2. Even if you could, 13 + a bunch of middle-round picks aint gonna get you high enough for Barkley. If you want Barkley, it'll cost you #13, our 2nd and probably next year's 1st

Ricky Wiliams-ing this thing aint gonna get it done either. Barkley will be dynamic, but this draft have 4-8 guys who can be really good starters in the NFL. This is not the year to go all-in on getting a RB like that.

1 minute ago, carex said:

you need more than one player.  The Skins got two DL for just a big more than the price of Baker.  They didn't know they'd be getting Jonathan Allen in the draft.  It's the same with TE, you need more than one guy, but you also can't pay two guys starter money

Bruce thought it made more sense to sign two bit players for more money then signing his own guy. We just gave up all of the 2014 draft class except Morgan Moses. Why do people think that they are going to be able to re-sign Brandon and the others who are coming due for new contracts knowing what Bruce does? Its nice to think that they will re-sign our guys but seriously it rarely happens. Which is my point about TE. Yes I know that the team needs more then one guy, but quality over quantity always to me. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Holy crap! We stole McPhee. Nice job Bruce.

And that leaves us with PLENTY of space if we want to start trying to extend Scherff or Crowder. Could even add a fat boy at nose so many of you are screaming about.

McFree....:rofl89:

If you want to purely draft to fill current holes and needs then your best strategy is going to be trading from 13 to somewhere in the 20s ... adding a 2nd rounder ... and drafting a RB, Guard and DL with the 1st/2nd/2nd.

Probably means Hernandez + Penny + Settle with 1-2-2 if you want to overdraft and guarantee you get guys regardless of their value relative to where you're picking.

Not the way to build a team though.

Archived