Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

16 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I think he has a point. We also drafted Fuller in the third who became one of the top (slot) cornerbacks last season, Kyshoen Jarrett in the 5th who played really well before he got that career ending injury, Breeland in the 4th, Spencer Long was a third and just got paid, plus last year we seem to have drafted pretty well with Nicholson in the 4th and Roullier in the 6th who became decent starters (also regarding their experience). Chris Thompson was also a 5th and was probably our best offensive player last year.

I think that's a solid number of players that developed just fine. Sure, there might be no perennial pro bowlers except for Brandon Scherff but still. If you compare that to the years before, it's a pretty good improvement.

Thats fair. I suppose you could add Kirk Cousins to that list but lets not jump back down that rat hole!

But you contrast that with teams like the Vikings who take an undrafted receiver who becomes a pro bowl guy. Or the Jags with a receiver like Hurns who was also undrafted and hits a 1,000 yards. I think we have a pretty good coaching staff and its fair to say we have had mid and low round draft picks who have made contributions - but more doubles than grand slam home runs :-)

I'm sure somewhere this has been discussed, but Trent William, Morgan Moses and Jordan Reed are not gong to participate in OTA's, and CT just had his first workout a few days ago.  (He posted this on Instegram.

Color me skeptical that this team is going to get and stay healthy enough to win 10 games this year.  

So, we're going to hear about injuries and hard schedule when they finish 7-9 again.  

Reminder: they did NOTHING in FA to really improve, so they are counting on the guys they are getting back.  

If this is all Bruce, fine, but I'm going to hold the entire organization, Dan, Bruce, Jay, Doug Williams, all of them accountable.  They're in it together, if Jay doesn't think he can win 10 games with this strategy, he's got to "manage up" and get changes that he needs.  

Also Jay indicated they wouldn't sign Hankins.  

God they are betting on players returning healthy, staying healthy, and development of players.  They better be right.  

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Look if we add Payne or Vea and they turn out to be as gifted as many say then we will have a strong, young foundation on the DL that will be fairly cheap for years to come.

Personally, even if we sign Hankins I would still look to get Payne or Vea but it would open up the ability to take Smith or James if they were available.

I'm saying this while assuming Fitzpatrick is long gone before we pick.

I'm very pro this idea.  Dominate upfront and make it easier for everybody else.  I won't be too concerned about Dunbar and Moreau if it's 3rd and long every time.

How long we gonna keep this up with Jordan Reed?  Why have we not gotten some trade value out of him? He cannot stay healthy here.  Id rather we draft someone that can block vs someone who can catch enough passes to get the starting job then get hurt and then you need a safety net.  We need to pick up a more durable and dependable guy who can grow into the role.  Vernon Davis will be be more expensive than we want to pay next season unless he has to be the starter because we J.Reed cant stay healthy past week 5.

We need to cut bait..  

2 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Living in Alabama I watch a ton of SEC football.  Sprinkles is way better than you are giving him credit for and like a lot of our draft picks in recent years I expect a big leap in year 2. 

Reed was always going to be held out of OTAs so I am not sure why people are acting surprised about this, they are going to treat him with kid gloves until the season starts, as a veteran OTAs are pretty worthless to him anyway.  If he is not ready for training camp then I will worry.

Here's the thing that concerns me about Sprinkles, though.

At the end of last season, when the season was lost and there was nothing to play for, and we were were full of injuries, and therefore giving younger guys more playing time ; instead of giving Sprinkles a bigger role, they activated a TE from the Practice Squad, Garner, a guy who in all likelihood has no future in the NFL.

That somehow spoke volumes about Sprinkles.

You're basing your assessment of Sprinkles on his college play. But I'm starting to wonder if the coaches don't believe that will translate to the NFL.

5 minutes ago, Aquariuzzz said:

How long we gonna keep this up with Jordan Reed?  Why have we not gotten some trade value out of him? He cannot stay healthy here.  Id rather we draft someone that can block vs someone who can catch enough passes to get the starting job then get hurt and then you need a safety net.  We need to pick up a more durable and dependable guy who can grow into the role.  Vernon Davis will be be more expensive than we want to pay next season unless he has to be the starter because we J.Reed cant stay healthy past week 5.

We need to cut bait..  

It's great to say these things and act like finding a better option is as simple as waving a wand. The team can cut Reed, but it'll still need to find a replacement. The top guys in free were commanding as much as Reed makes now (not counting the dead money on the cap) and equally come with their own question marks. The team could try and trade Reed. But if you hate him so much and think he's an overpaid injury prone player, which NFL team is going to give up good value for that? It's not like teams are lining up to offer multiple first round picks here. And then there's the draft. You can draft someone. They may or may not bust. And they probably won't be ready for a year or two. So there's really no good options.

I do hope the Redskins try and address TE in the draft. but it really depends on how the draft plays out.

Breaking news: I just looked, and our 2019 cap space situation is dismal. $22 million in cap space WITHOUT Scherff or Smith extensions on the book.

Even if we use all of our cap space to bring back Scherff and Smith and push some of that extension money into 2020 and 2021 where the cap is more open ... we are likely facing some cuts to give us some wiggle-room. Josh Norman, Ryan Kerrigan, Trent Williams, Jordan Reed cap numbers are steep. Kerrigna/Trent restructures + likely moving on from either Norman or Reed to create space.

As much as I would have loved to bring on Hankins ... assuming he'd take an $7m cap hit this year (which would pretty much wipe us of our remaining flexible cap space this year) ... he'd also probably count anywhere from $8-10m against next year's cap.

I can see this front office looking at the make-up of the roster and deciding that they're going to take that hypotehtical Hankins money and roll it over to 2019 so your cap space is $30m instead of $22m. And twofold, if you signed Hankins to a long-term deal, your cap space would go from $22m to like $12m for 2019 WITHOUT this year's draft picks salaries or extensions for Scherff or Smith. That's pretty much handicapping yourself against doing anythign next year.

Sign Hankins: 2019 Cap space starts at $12m

Pass on Hankins: 2019 Cap space starts at $30m

Big difference when you're looking to bring back Preston Smith and Brandon SCherff, likely at an avg. of $20m per year between the two. Just saying.

I think this is make or break with Reed this year.  I understand where a lot of the frustration is coming from but he still has a shot to be a great player for us over the next couple of years and we would be back here in 12 months killing the FO if we flipped him now and he went on to rack up a 1000+ yds and 10+ tds with his new team which he is more than capable of.

Coming off last season, with his injury history, he would not net us more than a low round pick right now and we might even be made to eat a chunk of his salary to facilitate a trade.  If we move him now it would be the definition of selling low.  If he starts next season playing well and we are winning then great, if he starts next season playing well and we are losing then we can flip him for a 2019 pick and get a lot more value.  If he carries on struggling with injuries we are probably no worse off than now.

None of this changes the fact we need to draft and develop a guy.  Sprinkle has more upside than he is been given credit for but Davis is probably done after this season and so we need a succession plan and not be in a position where we need to panic next year.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think the Haynesworth deal still gives fans the yips on pulling the trigger on FA deals.  But there were plenty of folks that correctly predicted what would happen with him.  He was never thought of as a high character guy that would continue to work hard after landing that paycheck.  You can't go on being cheap at that position because you were snake bitten there forever ago under prior management.  I'm not saying they haven't recognized the problem on the Dline but bringing in the Mc's certainly wasn't going to help solve it.  Jon Allen fell into their laps, as he was never suspected to be there for them.  I keep hearing about MI and JA, and even Lanier.  I like those guys.  But it's not enough in this arms race.  I believe in our coaches, but I do not believe they are capable of turning **** into ice cream.  

Its not just the Haynesworth deal though, its the cap hell that followed. He was a personality, yes. he was overpaid yes. But we were tied into a situation where we were just strapped financially. It was so bad that we tried to get out of it with what the league called us being shady. But this is the consequence of these type of deals. Look at Dallas with Tony Romo's contract or baltimore with Flacco, or even Jacksonville with Bortles and how they can't cut him. Done correctly, these deals can be really helpful but done poorly they can really limit us.

As far as MI, JA and Lanier, its kinda like what Gruden said in the press conference today. Those are the guys we're going with. Maybe not Lanier as a starter, but MI and JA are two of the three. So they can either come in and compete for spots behind / beside them or they probably aren't going to want to be here.

And I don't know what you've heard about JA, but why is it that now that he's a Skin he's less talented? He was predicted to go second overall. He is hella talented. He has the possibility to be just as dominant on this line as Hankins. Heck he was compared to Donald in college. JA is not ****. Neither is MI or Lanier. I could see you saying that about Mbu or Francis because they're guys who we picked up off the street and who nobody wanted and as of yet have done little to nothing in the league, but JA is a highly graded first round pick, Lanier had 5 sacks and a bunch of knockdowns last year. MI was a force inside. Its not like these guys are second fiddle.

35 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm sure somewhere this has been discussed, but Trent William, Morgan Moses and Jordan Reed are not gong to participate in OTA's, and CT just had his first workout a few days ago.  (He posted this on Instegram.

Color me skeptical that this team is going to get and stay healthy enough to win 10 games this year.  

So, we're going to hear about injuries and hard schedule when they finish 7-9 again.  

Reminder: they did NOTHING in FA to really improve, so they are counting on the guys they are getting back.  

If this is all Bruce, fine, but I'm going to hold the entire organization, Dan, Bruce, Jay, Doug Williams, all of them accountable.  They're in it together, if Jay doesn't think he can win 10 games with this strategy, he's got to "manage up" and get changes that he needs.  

Also Jay indicated they wouldn't sign Hankins.  

God they are betting on players returning healthy, staying healthy, and development of players.  They better be right.  

I know the Sun will rise tomorrow, the Redskins being right is a mystery laden heavily with doubt. :bye: 

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Training staff isn't the only issue here. When you sign guys with injury concerns, and they get injured, then whos fault is it?

Before the 17 draft everyone expected Allen to be a top 5 pick, he only fell to 17th so we could get him because teams worrying about his injury history. 4 games into his rookie season, he's injured.

Jordan Reed has been getting concussed for the past 6 years, yet Bruce signed him to a long term deal. He gets injured again.

Phil Taylor was a first round DL pick who was always injured, bam he gets injured again. 

And on and on it goes. I don't have any soft spot in my heart for the training staff and they can all be replaced and I won't care. But when your team president refuses to see what me as an average fan can see with these guys and signs them anyway he is responsible for this as much as anything. And who was his last signee? Another often injured guy. Bruce continues to show that he is not capable of learning from his mistakes and refuses to get better as team President. 

Allen didnt have an injury history. The reason he fell was because people were concerned about his shoulders, something that hadnt yet kept him out of anything. His injury during the season was his foot... Not really connected.

Phil Taylor was a camp guy who they gave a  try and he ended up looking really good. Not a big loss there, at least it happened early in preseason. Jordon Reed has had continual issues, cant argue too much with that. Though at the same time he had a healthy year when he got the contact and compared to what people are getting now its not bad.

We have PLENTY of guys who have been getting hurt who dont have an injury history. You named Allen, which doesnt apply as I pointed out, a camp guy in Phil Taylor, and then Jordan Reed. What are all of these other injury prone guys we have signed and who have been injured?

18 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Thats fair. I suppose you could add Kirk Cousins to that list but lets not jump back down that rat hole!

But you contrast that with teams like the Vikings who take an undrafted receiver who becomes a pro bowl guy. Or the Jags with a receiver like Hurns who was also undrafted and hits a 1,000 yards. I think we have a pretty good coaching staff and its fair to say we have had mid and low round draft picks who have made contributions - but more doubles than grand slam home runs :-)

Yeah, I don't want to argue that we are world beaters but just out of curiosity I looked up the Vikings recent draft classes (until 2013) and to be honest we definitely drafted better than them in the later rounds. Out of all the draft picks that were not 1st or 2nd round draft picks there are two players that are currently starters for the Vikings. Thats Stefon Diggs and Danielle Hunter.

Jerick McKinnon is the only starter that signed elsewhere for good money, the rest of their draft picks were either cut, haven't started a game so far or went to a different team in free agency but for cheap contracts.

Granted, Pat Elflein (14), Ben Gedeon (6) and Danny Isidora (1) are three players out of their 2017 draft class that started games this year but I don't know a lot about them (except for Elflein). FWIW Roullier was rated higher than Elflein by PFF for last year. But given their very short careers it doesn't make a lot of sense to judge this year's draft class anyway so I basically excluded them for this comparison.

So the Vikings had a couple of very good picks in the first two rounds (Xavier Rodes, Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, maybe Dalvin Cook let's see and wait), a couple of okay picks (Trae Waynes, Sharrif Floyd, maybe also Teddy Bridgewater and Mackensie Alexander) and a couple of bad picks where they wish they would have taken someone else (Cordarrelle Patterson, Laquon Treadwell). But the rest is meh...

So out of 28 players that they drafted later than round 2, they got Stefon Diggs and Danielle Hunter as undoutbly good starters. Yes, they had Adam Thielen as an undrafted rookie who is a great starter and even a pro bowler but that is 1 player. I think we can more than compete with them in terms of drafting in the later rounds the last couple of years. We also have Quinton Dunbar and Anothny Lanier as promising undrafted rookies that are still on our roster. And Adam Thielen was drafted in 2013, not 2015 and 2016 like our guys, so it also took him a while to take off.

The difference in talent between our roster and the Viking's roster is probably more due to the fact that they had 9 first round picks and 3 sencond rounders since 2012 while we had 4 first and 5 second rounders.

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Breaking news: I just looked, and our 2019 cap space situation is dismal. $22 million in cap space WITHOUT Scherff or Smith extensions on the book.

Any 2019 numbers are wildly speculative right now.  Scherff for example shows up next year under the 5th year option which would pay him $12.5 million but if we extend him before then which we undoubtedly will we can manage that cap hit a lot better.  Bortles was due to play on a $19 million 5th year option this season but the Jags extended him giving him a salary of $20 million for this season but structuring it so the cap hit for this year is just $10 million thereby getting themselves an additional $9 million to waste I mean spend on Moncrief.

We won't be overloaded with cap space next year, typically any team without a starting QB on a rookie contract is not, but we do work our contracts well and once the true numbers are known for 2019 we will probably be in our typical middle of the pack position.  I certainly see no reason why we cannot sign Hankins right now if we decided to meet his price, we have a lot of flexibility in the contracts we have given our rotational guys if we need to squeeze more money out.

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

All I'm saying is that if you're going to videotape yourself smoking a blunt while eating a pizza on the bed, just make sure you don't put the coke sniffing prostitute in the same video.

:)

May want to get into coaching. 

28 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Even if we use all of our cap space to bring back Scherff and Smith and push some of that extension money into 2020 and 2021 where the cap is more open ... we are likely facing some cuts to give us some wiggle-room. Josh Norman, Ryan Kerrigan, Trent Williams, Jordan Reed cap numbers are steep. Kerrigna/Trent restructures + likely moving on from either Norman or Reed to create space.

As much as I would have loved to bring on Hankins ... assuming he'd take an $7m cap hit this year (which would pretty much wipe us of our remaining flexible cap space this year) ... he'd also probably count anywhere from $8-10m against next year's cap.

I can see this front office looking at the make-up of the roster and deciding that they're going to take that hypotehtical Hankins money and roll it over to 2019 so your cap space is $30m instead of $22m. And twofold, if you signed Hankins to a long-term deal, your cap space would go from $22m to like $12m for 2019 WITHOUT this year's draft picks salaries or extensions for Scherff or Smith. That's pretty much handicapping yourself against doing anythign next year.

Sign Hankins: 2019 Cap space starts at $12m

Pass on Hankins: 2019 Cap space starts at $30m

Big difference when you're looking to bring back Preston Smith and Brandon SCherff, likely at an avg. of $20m per year between the two. Just saying.

I checked overthecap.com. I agree 2019 looks bad, but Trent, Norman, Kerrigan and Reed make up ~$53M of that and there's ~$34M in cap space that can be created by restructuring/trading/cutting. 

I agree it's bad, but there's a lot of wiggle room at the top. Give Howie Roseman that cap situation and he'll sign 50% of all NFL free agents...

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

They recognized the problem, but their approach has left a lot to be desired.  They have made a habit of trying to get by finding bargains by trying to turn bench or rotational players into full time starters.  Paea, Bowen, McGee, McClain, Baker, etc.  Which is fine, but at some point, you just need to do what you need to do to get better talent in there.  Developing guys into starters that can consistently win matchups hasn't really worked.  They finally drafted a guy in Allen, now they need another one.

I think the 'bargains' is only half of their story though. It would be one thing if they had not addressed the position, but they have. Even with all the stuff way back when, they brought in guys like McClain and McGee, but they also brought in Allen. They brought in Reyes and Hood but they also brought in Lanier and Ioannidis. I mean how can we sit and talk about guys like Chris Baker who was a UDFA find by Allen, then say that DL can't be found in UDFA?

Gruden and his coaching staff show that he wants to develop players. Scot talked about this when he said that he wanted to build through the draft instead of spending money on high priced free agents. And if you look at this roster now compared to 2014 when we first named Gruden, we can see that a lot of the players from then are really developed, and we can see that the overall roster is a lot deeper. Some areas have come easier to fix than others but even the DL is not this horrid thing that some fans want to act like it is. Even late in the season they were getting pressure and being a force. They need to get better at stopping the run, but that doesn't mean that the plan of development doesn't work. It means that we need to develop their run stopping skills as well.

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
FollowingFollowing @RapSheet
More

The #Giants are listening to trade calls/talks for Odell Beckham Jr and there have been several, I’m told. @wyche89 says the #Rams No. 23 pick is available. ... what’s not clear is whether NY actually wants to trade him. Definitely open to listening, tho

10:12 AM - 27 Mar 2018

•  

9 minutes ago, Unbias said:

I checked overthecap.com. I agree 2019 looks bad, but Trent, Norman, Kerrigan and Reed make up ~$53M of that and there's ~$34M in cap space that can be created by restructuring/trading/cutting. 

I agree it's bad, but there's a lot of wiggle room at the top. Give Howie Roseman that cap situation and he'll sign 50% of all NFL free agents...

I see no reason why Norman and/or Reed would still be around after 2019.

Archived