Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

10 hours ago, Mr.Will said:

I just read an article on tops teams that could be a top landing spot for OBJ..the Rams were #1 on that list..let that sit for a second,after the FA they’ve acquired over the last few weeks,a ton of draft picks,great coaching staff..and then throw Odell in that mix!!!..might as well just hand em the trophy now and save the wear and tear on all of our players for a year!!

You may be forgetting that injuries can cripple a team, not to mention attitudes and ego's can too. The Rams would be putting a lot on a young coaches plate in asking him to manage both Suh and Beckham both on the field and off. 

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

McVay was in Cousins ear every day, and that didn't get him over the hump.

So it's just as much about the QB, as it is about the Quarterback Whisperer.

McVay is no Kevin Rogers, but he's one of the better QB coaches in the game. Kevin Rogers comes in & Favre puts together his best QB rating at 40 years old, that guy is a true QB whisperer. 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

You may be forgetting that injuries can cripple a team, not to mention attitudes and ego's can too. The Rams would be putting a lot on a young coaches plate in asking him to manage both Suh and Beckham both on the field and off. 

DeSean, Norman & Garcon all had ego/attitude problems according to different reports. Guys who work hard tend to work out. Many of the best teams in nfl history had egos that dwarf anything Suh & ODB have. Those kind of problems arent as bad as many like to think. 

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's taken a while, but we finally agree on something.  Their handling of the Dline is damn near malpractice.  I'd actually feel better about it if they threw caution into the wind for once and went gangbusters here just to show they actually do acknowledge how big of a problem it actually is.

You mean like when they signed Haynesworth, or Wilkerson or Stubbifield or Gilbert. Its not like there aren't busts in FA along the DL. We went into last year and signed McGee and McClain BECAUSE they had strong reputations as run defenders. They were seen as cheaper options than some of the big names who were signed elsewhere. Its not to say that we saw him as THE answer, but calling them ignoring the position is a fallacy.

Bruce brought this up in the interview yesterday and I can't help but think he's referring partially to Haynesworth because that probably left a stain on free agency. We were in cap hell because of that contract for a guy who didn't want to be here. and quit playing because of that contract. D. Hall's deal was also bad but at least he had some fire.

The contrary is looking at the draft and developing players. That could mean guys like Ioannidis and Lanier and Allen or it could mean the signing the guys who are backups on another team and giving them more opportunities here. That's exactly what we did at WR with both Garcon and Robinson. We also tried it with Quick, Roberts and some others and it didn't work so well. But also you look at our history there and its not pretty: ARE & Lloyd ring a bell? Even the big success story of last year: Allen. We lucked into him, but had we not the rumors were that we were going to go after a DE/DT/NT in the draft.

I don't think its a small thing that Gruden has focused on some of the best teachers as his coaches. Maybe they can't turn water into wine, but people are acting like the guys we're drafting are complete duds. What type of leap are we going to see from Allen after a year with Tomsula? Will Lanier's growth from the end of the year continue, and will he be better against the run? Will McClain return to his form that he had with the Cowboys? Will McGee return to being a force against the run? Etc.

I think its an overstatement, a fan statement to say they haven't recognized the problem.

8 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

"I think I can bring a lot, because just being in Baltimore under some of the great players and also being under the [Chicago Bears'] defensive coordinator, Vic Fangio, I know a lot from the game, I took a lot from them, I soaked a lot in. Football-wise…I think I'll really help them play fast. I'm going to catch on to the system early and going out, me personally causing havoc, staying in the backfield, making the offense game plan for me.

Thanks for the highlight clip. I wish the guy that created it, didn't stylize it so much. Everything is way to zoomed in or filtered.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

qKGjSHkY_bigger.jpgCraig HoffmanVerified account @CraigHoffman 37s38 seconds ago

1. More

Jay Gruden says that the team is adding state of the art recovery tech to the facility on the heels of last year’s injury disaster.

Should have that anyway, independent of last years misery. This is something where you don't react when it already happened but where you proactively and constantly research and invest to have the best treatment and injury prevention capabilities available at all times.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

DeSean, Norman & Garcon all had ego/attitude problems according to different reports. Guys who work hard tend to work out. Many of the best teams in nfl history had egos that dwarf anything Suh & ODB have. Those kind of problems arent as bad as many like to think. 

All I'm saying is that if you're going to videotape yourself smoking a blunt while eating a pizza on the bed, just make sure you don't put the coke sniffing prostitute in the same video.

:)

40 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Should have that anyway, independent of last years misery. This is something where you don't react when it already happened but where you proactively and constantly research and invest to have the best treatment and injury prevention capabilities available at all times.

I'm kind of amazed they dont already have one of the top facilities in sports.  This is like how they took so long to get the bubble. 

I've never been to Redskins Park, and certainly never been inside, but I'd always heard it's a bit of a dump that they've fixed up over the years to keep it going rather than just build a brand new HQ.  I live near the Ravens HQ and it looks like a palace.  

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Tell this to the Giants and they can then tell you why they're trading Beckham. 

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

It all works if you win.

If you win the players are 'characters' or 'larger than life'.

If you start to lose they are 'cancers' or 'embarrassing distractions'.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

You mean like when they signed Haynesworth, or Wilkerson or Stubbifield or Gilbert. Its not like there aren't busts in FA along the DL. We went into last year and signed McGee and McClain BECAUSE they had strong reputations as run defenders. They were seen as cheaper options than some of the big names who were signed elsewhere. Its not to say that we saw him as THE answer, but calling them ignoring the position is a fallacy.

I think its an overstatement, a fan statement to say they haven't recognized the problem.

I think the Haynesworth deal still gives fans the yips on pulling the trigger on FA deals.  But there were plenty of folks that correctly predicted what would happen with him.  He was never thought of as a high character guy that would continue to work hard after landing that paycheck.  You can't go on being cheap at that position because you were snake bitten there forever ago under prior management.  I'm not saying they haven't recognized the problem on the Dline but bringing in the Mc's certainly wasn't going to help solve it.  Jon Allen fell into their laps, as he was never suspected to be there for them.  I keep hearing about MI and JA, and even Lanier.  I like those guys.  But it's not enough in this arms race.  I believe in our coaches, but I do not believe they are capable of turning **** into ice cream.  

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Bruce brought this up in the interview yesterday and I can't help but think he's referring partially to Haynesworth because that probably left a stain on free agency. We were in cap hell because of that contract for a guy who didn't want to be here. and quit playing because of that contract. D. Hall's deal was also bad but at least he had some fire.

They recognized the problem, but their approach has left a lot to be desired.  They have made a habit of trying to get by finding bargains by trying to turn bench or rotational players into full time starters.  Paea, Bowen, McGee, McClain, Baker, etc.  Which is fine, but at some point, you just need to do what you need to do to get better talent in there.  Developing guys into starters that can consistently win matchups hasn't really worked.  They finally drafted a guy in Allen, now they need another one.

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

Nice tidbit of routine news.

But, does anyone really think that Gruden would actually say his team got worse at the QB position?  If so, THAT would have been a much bigger news story!

Agreed.

And no sense in worrying about the feelings of some other team's QB.

3 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

Yeah but it is not one injury is it though ?  - We were not derailed by a single injury in 2017. Saying that is very ignorant - as is saying injuries are an inbuilt excuse for failing. - I can understand that if you were talking about one injury and done (think Payton Manning in Indy - or Arron Rodgers in GB) but when injuries are biting as hard as they did in 2017 - how exactly do you prepare for that? When you are litterally running out of warm bodies at several positions to the extenct that you cannot run practices. 

I think it is a good move that they are doing something to help out the training staff - But why was it not done earlier ? 

You missed how this conversation went. Someone posted some stats about rushing yard season averages and how losing Jonathan Allen after the 4th game they had done well as if that showed us something. To me it shows us nothing. That post you replied to was specifically about the Allen injury to the Rush Defense when mentioning injuries. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2017_injuries.htm

That link shows who was injured last year and who wasn't. Phil Taylor is on that list but he has long been a first round bust (one of the many DL busts I was speaking about) and often injured. Expecting that to change for him last season was stupid on the teams part. Sure its fine to invite a guy like that to camp to just see but you can't rely on him.

Since everyone can see who was injured there, can you see anyone that missed a lot of time that is coming back this year that made a difference for the rushing defense. Because someone on offense missed some time means diddly about them stopping the opposing RB. Nothing I said was ignorant or wrong. Fact is they blew off this need last offseason and they are blowing it off again. They had a need for a RB last season and they took a scrub 4th round pick who sucked and who was who the league thought he was, not good and definitely not the answer. 

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Developing guys into starters that can consistently win matchups hasn't really worked.  They finally drafted a guy in Allen, now they need another one.

In general I agree with you but there have been exceptions. Ionniadis for one, arguably Jordan Reed.

But I get the skepticism.

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I just heard Reed won't be ready for OTA's, what the hell is wrong now?

So no Reed, a 35 year old Vernon Davis, no Niles Paul, some jag named Sprinkles....might as well say once again they don't have a TE.

And why can't they sign Hankins? Because Bruce decided to give him a long term deal knowing full well his injury and concussion history. Thanks again Bruce

I like Reed but he's on the books now for over 10 million

https://overthecap.com/player/jordan-reed/2454/

Might as well cut him, eat the dead cap hit, free up 4 million and use that 4 mill on signing Tyler Eifert who is just another injured TE but one that's gonna be much cheaper then keeping Reed. 

I won't consider it malpractice until after the draft.  There is a lot of D line depth in this draft and if they choose to go that route I won't be mad about it, especially if it is accompanied by an announcement of an extension for Scherff and maybe Crowder so we can see that the money saved is being put to good use.

I don't think Hankins is out of the picture entirely yet, the fact he has not signed is evidence enough that nobody wants to meet his current asking price.  If Suh signing does not push someone to up their offer then he is going to have to come down on his demands and that would keep us in play.  Logan also remains an option, after last season he probably is only going to get a 1 year deal on a team friendly number but I think his market won't materialize until Hankins signs.

It is worth remembering that FA is still only a couple of weeks old and there will be signings all the way through to training camp.  Staying patient and not blowing our cap in the first few days has paid off before, we never could have signed DeSean Jackson or Josh Norman if we had not kept some room available for late cuts.  I will keep my fire Bruce Allen banners in storage until September when this has all played out.

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

So no Reed, a 35 year old Vernon Davis, no Niles Paul, some jag named Sprinkles....might as well say once again they don't have a TE.

And why can't they sign Hankins? Because Bruce decided to give him a long term deal knowing full well his injury and concussion history. Thanks again Bruce

I like Reed but he's on the books now for over 10 million

https://overthecap.com/player/jordan-reed/2454/

Might as well cut him, eat the dead cap hit, free up 4 million and use that 4 mill on signing Tyler Eifert who is just another injured TE but one that's gonna be much cheaper then keeping Reed. 

The thing is have you seen what FA TE's got on the market this year. You arent getting Eifert for 4 mill. If Reed plays 10 games he is worth his salary this year. If you cut him you are eating 6 mill of cap for nothing. And Davis might be old but the guy has been fantastic for us. I do think we need to add another TE though. Either through FA or the draft.

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Living in Alabama I watch a ton of SEC football.  Sprinkles is way better than you are giving him credit for and like a lot of our draft picks in recent years I expect a big leap in year 2. 

Reed was always going to be held out of OTAs so I am not sure why people are acting surprised about this, they are going to treat him with kid gloves until the season starts, as a veteran OTAs are pretty worthless to him anyway.  If he is not ready for training camp then I will worry.

3 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

And sure, all teams get hit by some injuries, but no team has been hit by injuries more than us. If we lost a couple guys like most teams we would have been find and we would have made the playoffs in my mind. But we lost starters, then their backups, then their backups. It was ridiculous. I think a bigger issue is our training staff as no team has been hit by more injuries than the Redskins while under Jay Gruden. One year is pretty fluky, but repeatedly to me says the training staff isnt good enough.

Training staff isn't the only issue here. When you sign guys with injury concerns, and they get injured, then whos fault is it?

Before the 17 draft everyone expected Allen to be a top 5 pick, he only fell to 17th so we could get him because teams worrying about his injury history. 4 games into his rookie season, he's injured.

Jordan Reed has been getting concussed for the past 6 years, yet Bruce signed him to a long term deal. He gets injured again.

Phil Taylor was a first round DL pick who was always injured, bam he gets injured again. 

And on and on it goes. I don't have any soft spot in my heart for the training staff and they can all be replaced and I won't care. But when your team president refuses to see what me as an average fan can see with these guys and signs them anyway he is responsible for this as much as anything. And who was his last signee? Another often injured guy. Bruce continues to show that he is not capable of learning from his mistakes and refuses to get better as team President. 

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Training staff isn't the only issue here. When you sign guys with injury concerns, and they get injured, then whos fault is it?

Before the 17 draft everyone expected Allen to be a top 5 pick, he only fell to 17th so we could get him because teams worrying about his injury history. 4 games into his rookie season, he's injured.

Jordan Reed has been getting concussed for the past 6 years, yet Bruce signed him to a long term deal. He gets injured again.

Phil Taylor was a first round DL pick who was always injured, bam he gets injured again. 

And on and on it goes. I don't have any soft spot in my heart for the training staff and they can all be replaced and I won't care. But when your team president refuses to see what me as an average fan can see with these guys and signs them anyway he is responsible for this as much as anything. And who was his last signee? Another often injured guy. Bruce continues to show that he is not capable of learning from his mistakes and refuses to get better as team President. 

Some of this I would agree with but Allen had a shoulder issue which we were not concerned by.  The injury that took him off the field was a lisfranc which I seem to recall is not part of his shoulder so you are reaching here.  **** happens, only the paranoid would blame that one on Bruce.

3 hours ago, Tay said:

In related news, during the JP Finlay interview posted here:

https://art19.com/shows/redskin-talk/episodes/7000988b-3f4d-4b97-a10a-bc304b5ef128

Every one can hear Bruce Allen say how since Alex Smith won 50 games the past 5 seasons on the Chiefs that wins and losses is the most important thing when judging a QB in the league.

No not making this up, the opinion of the guy responsible for refusing to fix the DL, fix the RB, not signing the franchise QB, was wins and losses. To him it is the most important thing to talent evaluation of a QB to this guy. 

So if Jay believes the same thing that then of course "without a doubt" they improved

14 hours ago, dcdiscokid said:

Well he can certainly set the edge... Ill take him over jr. at this point, he brings a unique skill set that fits what tomasula is likely trying to do...

I liked the video, but I also though many of the highlights came against TEs and he's essentially used his size to bull rush. Also when looking at his combine results he might be a better fit for being a 3-4 5 technique than a OLB. 

Archived