Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Just now, justice98 said:

I see no reason why Norman r Reed would still be around after 2019.

I agree on Reed, but Norman may want to renegotiate to get one last payday. Either way those two are prime candidates to lower their cap numbers. 

I'd add that will be the year both Trent and Kerrigan are moving to the wrong side of 30. There's a lot of time and many things can happen, but there's additional flexibility in the way their contracts have little guaranteed money remaining. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
FollowingFollowing @RapSheet
More

The #Giants are listening to trade calls/talks for Odell Beckham Jr and there have been several, I’m told. @wyche89 says the #Rams No. 23 pick is available. ... what’s not clear is whether NY actually wants to trade him. Definitely open to listening, tho

10:12 AM - 27 Mar 2018

•  

Beckham, Peters, Suh, and Talib? The Real Divas of L.A. right there...

55 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Here's the thing that concerns me about Sprinkles, though.

At the end of last season, when the season was lost and there was nothing to play for, and we were were full of injuries, and therefore giving younger guys more playing time ; instead of giving Sprinkles a bigger role, they activated a TE from the Practice Squad, Garner, a guy who in all likelihood has no future in the NFL.

That somehow spoke volumes about Sprinkles.

You're basing your assessment of Sprinkles on his college play. But I'm starting to wonder if the coaches don't believe that will translate to the NFL.

I mean this is a low round draft pick who may not have been ready. We saw how Ioannidis played his rookie year, how Moses played, how Fuller played. All them are turning out to be good players. Its possible that Sprinkles has potential he hasn't tapped into and coaches are still trying to bring it out.

12 minutes ago, Unbias said:

I agree on Reed, but Norman may want to renegotiate to get one last payday. Either way those two are prime candidates to lower their cap numbers. 

I'd add that will be the year both Trent and Kerrigan are moving to the wrong side of 30. There's a lot of time and many things can happen, but there's additional flexibility in the way their contracts have little guaranteed money remaining. 

I agree that both Reed and Norman are either released.  Hopefully, we can manage a trade, even a late round pick for Norman rather than a straight out release but that might not be possible.  The money will be used to extend our own when that happens.

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I agree that both Reed and Norman are either released.  Hopefully, we can manage a trade, even a late round pick for Norman rather than a straight out release but that might not be possible.  The money will be used to extend our own when that happens.

We also have to anticipate the cap will rise by another $10+M, so we could be looking at another offseason where the team has ~$50M, but with 2 contracts that need extending. 

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Look if we add Payne or Vea and they turn out to be as gifted as many say then we will have a strong, young foundation on the DL that will be fairly cheap for years to come.

Personally, even if we sign Hankins I would still look to get Payne or Vea but it would open up the ability to take Smith or James if they were available.

I'm saying this while assuming Fitzpatrick is long gone before we pick.

Next years draft has Gary, Dexter Lawrence, Ed Oliver, Bosa, Clelin, Wilkins & Raekwon Davis. A very good looking & brilliant Redskins enthusiast I know thinks we should trade this first & get ourselves a few firsts in that obscenely talent rich DL class. He also advocates trading Trent. Seeing a bum like Solder become the highest paid OT in the game, having Ty to play LT, & being short of having a true contender, he believes that cashing in that chip could be a big part of what propels Washington to the top of thr NFC East. Part of the logic there is we could load up in the extraordinary 2019 class as Philly & Dallas are giving Wentz & Dak record setting contracts. 

In addition to the freaks on the defensive front 7, the 2019 class is loaded with CBs & OTs, we could find Trents replacement with one of our 5 first rounders. There are 3-5 OTs in that class who would all likely top this class. 

What does Trent bring back? 2 firsts? 

Last year the 10th & 12th picks each brought back a later first in that draft as well as a first in this draft. 

1) Trade Trent for pick 25 & a first next year. 

2) Pick 13 for pick 27 & a first next year.

3) Pick 25 for a first next year & a 3rd this year.

4) Pick 27 for a first next year & a 3rd this year.

That leaves us with two 3rds this year & in 2019 we'd have 5 firsts. If Trent brought back a top 14 first this year, its conceivable that we could move back with that pick too & add another 2019 first. If we didnt want 6 firsts in 2019, we could target 2020 a bit.

I dont want to make Sherff the highest paid guard in football, id move him too but lets not get too crazy. ?

We have great position coaches, letting those teachers work with the talent thats available in next years draft could be what allows us to become a team nobody wants to play. We could build a front around Allen & that draft class & give ourselves decent FA money.

A 2019 front of Allen, Lawrence, Gary or Allen, Oliver & Lawrence would be ours if we cared to have it & thats how you build a team to stop Wentz/Dak as they get paid & our teachers develop our young elite talent.

Raekwon, Wilkins, Bosa & Clelin would all be available as well & guys always show up out of nowhere. Clemson may have 4 DL go in round 1, its the most ridiculously gifted DL class I can remember, I just dont see why we'd prefer Payne who didnt make any plays at Bama over addressing the line in a far superior 2019 class. A guy like Tim Settle will be there with one of our 3rd rounders if we are truly intent upon getting a big boy in this class....or Khalil McKenzie in round 5, even better.

Pardon my rambling, benadryl always does this to me. ??

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Breaking news: I just looked, and our 2019 cap space situation is dismal. $22 million in cap space WITHOUT Scherff or Smith extensions on the book.

Even if we use all of our cap space to bring back Scherff and Smith and push some of that extension money into 2020 and 2021 where the cap is more open ... we are likely facing some cuts to give us some wiggle-room. Josh Norman, Ryan Kerrigan, Trent Williams, Jordan Reed cap numbers are steep. Kerrigna/Trent restructures + likely moving on from either Norman or Reed to create space.

As much as I would have loved to bring on Hankins ... assuming he'd take an $7m cap hit this year (which would pretty much wipe us of our remaining flexible cap space this year) ... he'd also probably count anywhere from $8-10m against next year's cap.

I can see this front office looking at the make-up of the roster and deciding that they're going to take that hypotehtical Hankins money and roll it over to 2019 so your cap space is $30m instead of $22m. And twofold, if you signed Hankins to a long-term deal, your cap space would go from $22m to like $12m for 2019 WITHOUT this year's draft picks salaries or extensions for Scherff or Smith. That's pretty much handicapping yourself against doing anythign next year.

Sign Hankins: 2019 Cap space starts at $12m

Pass on Hankins: 2019 Cap space starts at $30m

Big difference when you're looking to bring back Preston Smith and Brandon SCherff, likely at an avg. of $20m per year between the two. Just saying.

Yep. I’m not usually a doom and gloom guy, but I’ve been far less rosy on our cap situation than some.  With that said, as you mentioned, we have some big moves we can make to help us out.  Norman and Reed in particular.  

If I’m reading it right:

Norman as a 2019 trade frees up 8.5 mil and 15.5 in 2020.  As a June 1 cut next year - 11.5 next and 12.5 in 2020.  

Reed frees up 6.1 and then 10.3 as a trade/cut, or 7.9 and then 8.5 as a June 1 cut. 

I don’t want to lose Smith or Kerrigan, but we have some options there with Anderson and McPhee on board.  Might come down to if we draft a guy (particularly a speed rusher) and see him develop this year.  A potential,  (hopefully) small step back at OLB is worth it to me if the trade off is a top interior run stopper.  And again, signing a guy like Hankins allows you to move on from Hood and/or McClain.  McClain gives us a dead cap hit this year, but decent money saved for next year... which offsets a decent amount of a contract for Hankins.  

Just now, SWFLSkins said:

Yep, it's a waiting game for both us and Hankins.  IF Hankins signs with another team then we might be on the phone with Logan and do an inexpensive 2 year deal and draft a NT/DT 1st or 2nd round.  Just guessing.  :)

14 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Next years draft has Gary, Dexter Lawrence, Ed Oliver, Bosa, Clelin, Wilkins & Raekwon Davis. A very good looking & brilliant Redskins enthusiast I know thinks we should trade this first & get ourselves a few firsts in that obscenely talent rich DL class. He also advocates trading Trent. Seeing a bum like Solder become the highest paid OT in the game, having Ty to play LT, & being short of having a true contender, he believes that cashing in that chip could be a big part of what propels Washington to the top of thr NFC East. Part of the logic there is we could load up in the extraordinary 2019 class as Philly & Dallas are giving Wentz & Dak record setting contracts. 

In addition to the freaks on the defensive front 7, the 2019 class is loaded with CBs & OTs, we could find Trents replacement with one of our 5 first rounders. There are 3-5 OTs in that class who would all likely top this class. 

What does Trent bring back? 2 firsts? 

Last year the 10th & 12th picks each brought back a later first in that draft as well as a first in this draft. 

1) Trade Trent for pick 25 & a first next year. 

2) Pick 13 for pick 27 & a first next year.

3) Pick 25 for a first next year & a 3rd this year.

4) Pick 27 for a first next year & a 3rd this year.

That leaves us with two 3rds this year & in 2019 we'd have 5 firsts. If Trent brought back a top 14 first this year, its conceivable that we could move back with that pick too & add another 2019 first. If we didnt want 6 firsts in 2019, we could target 2020 a bit.

I dont want to make Sherff the highest paid guard in football, id move him too but lets not get too crazy. ?

We have great position coaches, letting those teachers work with the talent thats available in next years draft could be what allows us to become a team nobody wants to play. We could build a front around Allen & that draft class & give ourselves decent FA money.

A 2019 front of Allen, Lawrence, Gary or Allen, Oliver & Lawrence would be ours if we cared to have it & thats how you build a team to stop Wentz/Dak as they get paid & our teachers develop our young elite talent.

Raekwon, Wilkins, Bosa & Clelin would all be available as well & guys always show up out of nowhere. Clemson may have 4 DL go in round 1, its the most ridiculously gifted DL class I can remember, I just dont see why we'd prefer Payne who didnt make any plays at Bama over addressing the line in a far superior 2019 class. A guy like Tim Settle will be there with one of our 3rd rounders if we are truly intent upon getting a big boy in this class....or Khalil McKenzie in round 5, even better.

Pardon my rambling, benadryl always does this to me. ??

This would be all well and good if BA, and JG weren't on the hot seat, but they are so no way they are looking into the future like that.

I just looked, and our 2019 cap space situation is dismal. $22 million in cap space WITHOUT Scherff or Smith extensions on the book.

I wouldn't sweat it.

We could add $11M to that number easily by cutting 2/3'rds of the Mc's and VD, don't forget the cap will increase.

There are restructuring possibilities as well.

Breaking news: I just looked, and our 2019 cap space situation is dismal. $22 million in cap space WITHOUT Scherff or Smith extensions on the book.

Its not great, but there are a number of variables on that number. The actual cap number for 2019 itself, we will have carry over from this year to add, you could easily create 15-20mil by cutting dead wood/restructures etc. A deal for Hankins would fit, but I think we're moving past him right now.

The cap situation is more than manageable, but it's worth also adding that we are stocking up on draft picks for next year, what is it 11 at the minute, so the draft is clearly there to heavily balance out free agency in 2019....hopefully.

46 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I mean this is a low round draft pick who may not have been ready. We saw how Ioannidis played his rookie year, how Moses played, how Fuller played. All them are turning out to be good players. Its possible that Sprinkles has potential he hasn't tapped into and coaches are still trying to bring it out.

Here's some of what Sprinkle can do (while at: Arkansas Razorbacks):

https://youtu.be/HNefoBPhiDY

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yep. I’m not usually a doom and gloom guy, but I’ve been far less rosy on our cap situation than some.  With that said, as you mentioned, we have some big moves we can make to help us out.  Norman and Reed in particular.  

If I’m reading it right:

Norman as a 2019 trade frees up 8.5 mil and 15.5 in 2020.  As a June 1 cut next year - 11.5 next and 12.5 in 2020.  

Reed frees up 6.1 and then 10.3 as a trade/cut, or 7.9 and then 8.5 as a June 1 cut. 

I don’t want to lose Smith or Kerrigan, but we have some options there with Anderson and McPhee on board.  Might come down to if we draft a guy (particularly a speed rusher) and see him develop this year.  A potential,  (hopefully) small step back at OLB is worth it to me if the trade off is a top interior run stopper.  And again, signing a guy like Hankins allows you to move on from Hood and/or McClain.  McClain gives us a dead cap hit this year, but decent money saved for next year... which offsets a decent amount of a contract for Hankins.  

Im not sure what everyone is talking about.

Remember, we can cut Scandrick, Zach Brown, and McClain and save 15M alone. That is before any restructure to Trent or Kerrigan... or cutting Reed/Norman.

We can save another 5M each in restructuring Kerrigan and Trent... And our current cap includes the 12.5M 5th year option on Scherff...

So @Thinking Skins I do believe you have a point - we shouldn’t write off guys in development.  Holsey, Moreau, Lanier, Anderson, Robert Davis, etc.  Heck, we shouldn’t even discount guys that are brought in more as ‘bodies’ - McGee, McClain, Quick McPhee, and so on.  

The (semi) flip side of that argument is I believe FA should be mostly for adding pricier impact guys (at positions of need) and cheaper guys for TC competition.  Going middle ground there leaves you with McClain, McGee, Reyes, etc.  

The FO deserves some credit for populating the back of the roster with developmental guys, letting these guys move up the depth chart to allow them to move on from some of their own FAs and cut the cheaper vet competition for even cheaper draftees and UDFAs.  

Specific to Hankins, he gives us a potential starter at NT, gives us a 3 deep rotation at DT, allows us to play him on run downs which keeps Ioannidas fresher and able to play more  DE.  Adding him also doesn’t hold back Lanier as he’d sub in as a situational pass rusher.  If Lanier develops further, he gives them a 4 deep rotation.  

Talking the receiver position, I’m with you that I kind of like our depth and want to see how they develop.  I think we could use a bonafide starter.  Not that I think they find one (or another one) this year, but you could then bump Quick off the roster and not affect the developing guys.  

37 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I can see this front office looking at the make-up of the roster and deciding that they're going to take that hypotehtical Hankins money and roll it over to 2019 so your cap space is $30m instead of $22m. And twofold, if you signed Hankins to a long-term deal, your cap space would go from $22m to like $12m for 2019 WITHOUT this year's draft picks salaries or extensions for Scherff or Smith. That's pretty much handicapping yourself against doing anythign next year.

Will see.  But it doesn't seem like that's what the FO is thinking.

Jay talked about more signings.  Bruce mentioned he's hoping a team releases a good player.  Clearly, they at least poked around on the idea of signing Hankins.  Sound like the game plan is to bring in another player or two but they are waiting for the right deal.

3 of the bigger signings since 2014 came in April.  Sounds like there is a decent shot it happens again.

37 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yep, it's a waiting game for both us and Hankins.  IF Hankins signs with another team then we might be on the phone with Logan and do an inexpensive 2 year deal and draft a NT/DT 1st or 2nd round.  Just guessing.  :)

From the Keim article you posted:

There will be possibilities after the first round -- Virginia Tech's Tim Settleis coming off a strong year and tested well at the combine. And keep in mind that one of last year's best linemen, Matt Ioannidis, was a fifth-round pick in 2016. But it's not as if the Redskins have built a good defensive line in recent years by grooming low-round picks. They have told others in free agency that strengthening the defensive line is a priority, so it would make sense that if they don’t find one in free agency, they'd look hard at this spot in the draft.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36071/redskins-on-hold-with-johnathan-hankins-but-draft-could-yield-better-dl-options

6 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

Im not sure what everyone is talking about.

Remember, we can cut Scandrick, Zach Brown, and McClain and save 15M alone. That is before any restructure to Trent or Kerrigan... or cutting Reed/Norman.

We can save another 5M each in restructuring Kerrigan and Trent... And our current cap includes the 12.5M 5th year option on Scherff...

Of course, but we need replacements for Brown and Norman before we can cut them.  Scandrick too, to an extent.  McClain and Reed (the two we can move on from regardless) saves us some money, but that only gets you so far.  Then we have tough decisions on Scherff, Smith and Crowder, and perhaps an extension for Ioannidas.  

Point is 1) the cap situation, as of now, isn’t great next year, but 2) we can free up a good amount of room, but then again, 3) we have a lot of money we need to put toward our own guys.  So it’s probably not good next year, but it’s not as bad as it looks.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From the Keim article you posted:

There will be possibilities after the first round -- Virginia Tech's Tim Settleis coming off a strong year and tested well at the combine. And keep in mind that one of last year's best linemen, Matt Ioannidis, was a fifth-round pick in 2016. But it's not as if the Redskins have built a good defensive line in recent years by grooming low-round picks. They have told others in free agency that strengthening the defensive line is a priority, so it would make sense that if they don’t find one in free agency, they'd look hard at this spot in the draft.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36071/redskins-on-hold-with-johnathan-hankins-but-draft-could-yield-better-dl-options

That's my boy, SIP! :)  He's moving up draft boards and a lot of them show him going in the 2nd round.  IF Skins went (1st) Guice and (2nd) Settle, I'd be happy.  I do believe that we will be trading down in the 1st but we'll see.

Just now, skinny21 said:

Of course, but we need replacements for Brown and Norman before we can cut them.  Scandrick too, to an extent.  McClain and Reed (the two we can move on from regardless) saves us some money, but that only gets you so far.  Then we have tough decisions on Scherff, Smith and Crowder, and perhaps an extension for Ioannidas.  

Point is 1) the cap situation, as of now, isn’t great next year, but 2) we can free up a good amount of room, but then again, 3) we have a lot of money we need to put toward our own guys.  So it’s probably not good next year, but it’s not as bad as it looks.  

I believe we will be drafting a CB in the draft this year in the middle rounds.  This year's draft is loaded with DB talent.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That's my boy, SIP! :)  He's moving up draft boards and a lot of them show him going in the 2nd round.  IF Skins went (1st) Guice and (2nd) Settle, I'd be happy.  I do believe that we will be trading down in the 1st but we'll see.

For me I don't care how they do it.  RB and DT are key priorities.    Based on what beat reporters have said, Doug-Jay and their FA visits they are 100% on board with the theory.  Now the question is do they execute?

47 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I know it's a business, but it just seems wrong. Imagine if you were waiting to be employed, but was just holding onto the offer hoping something better was to come along. 

I know these athletes are mostly professional, but what kind of first impression is that. 

Imagine Hankins Press conference: "I'd like to thank Dan, Bruce and the Redskins Organization for giving me the best offer available. I waited quite a long time hoping for a better offer to come, but ultimately I'm a Redskins and we'll just see how that goes...".

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Specific to Hankins, he gives us a potential starter at NT, gives us a 3 deep rotation at DT, allows us to play him on run downs which keeps Ioannidas fresher and able to play more  DE.  Adding him also doesn’t hold back Lanier as he’d sub in as a situational pass rusher.  If Lanier develops further, he gives them a 4 deep rotation.  

True, but at the expense of what? Hankins was a second round pick. The guy who replaced him in NY was a UDFA. Ioannidis was a 5th rounder. There is talent all over the draft Hankins isn't hte only option. How loud will he get in the locker room when he's replaced by Tim Settle? What happens if he underpeforms, or if he is injured? What do we do when he says that he doesn't want to play NT?

Its not that any of this WILL happen, but it all needs to be taken into place. Then a second element comes into play, how valuable is a NT, or a run stuffing DT? We just went through this with Brown being a run stuffing ILB and not a good cover guy and it lowered his price GREATLY. I think the Redskins still offered the highest contract but way below what he thought his market was. What if thats the case here? He is not the player that Suh is and what if he wants Suh money?

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Ehhh. We have Dunbar, Moreau, and Hosley... Im sure one of the latter two will cover for scandrick... and im sure we will draft 1 or 2 corners over the next 2 drafts.

And yes, we would need to cover for Brown, But we could either draft one this year, or simply restructure Brown next year in which we'd bring his cap number down from 8.7 to 5.7 (3M savings)

5 minutes ago, Unbias said:

I know it's a business, but it just seems wrong. Imagine if you were waiting to be employed, but was just holding onto the offer hoping something better was to come along. 

I know these athletes are mostly professional, but what kind of first impression is that. 

Imagine Hankins Press conference: "I'd like to thank Dan, Bruce and the Redskins Organization for giving me the best offer available. I waited quite a long time hoping for a better offer to come, but ultimately I'm a Redskins and we'll just see how that goes...".

Yeah but the negotiations are probably more like, we really like you, think you would be a great addition to our team,  but we have x amount allocated for the DL position and cant really meet your number with the other roster spots we need to fill. Let us know after you have explored free agency if that number works for you and you like to join what we are building.

Archived