Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

So. Next year our best players and leaders will mostly be hitting 30, QB will be 35 with a contract we can't get out of, very little cap space (especially if we re-sign our decent young guys) unless we cut those impact vets, second tier of best players are all likely too injury prone to be true building blocks, and decent (but not high enough for my liking) chance we'll be starting over with another GM and HC when this coming season goes to hell? Excellent. Gonna be a painful few years. 

You'd think if we have very little cap flexibility, despite Bruce Allen's frugality, we'd at least have some serious talent to show for it, but most of our most intriguing talents are actually on rookie contracts...which will run out before we can do anything of consequence with those players, because we've never ever heard of setting up a window to compete in. 

All I can really do right now is look forward to the post-Allen era (whenever that happens), but even the situation the next guy walks into (who will probably not be a real GM candidate anyways) won't be very exciting. Our best vets are all aging rapidly, injury prone, or getting paid too much. Or some combo of all three. And our best youth won't be on rookie contracts forever, but we don't have a ton of cap space. It's a mediocre purgatory we're in and I'm back to being pissed we didn't think ahead and try to rebuild slowly and correctly like the Jags and Browns did for 5-6 years. Because we have nothing to show for those years anyways and didn't even keep the mythical mid-round franchise QB we accidentally developed. 

Anyways, the draft is fast approaching and I'm more apathetic about this FO, coaching staff, roster, cap situation, FA haul, and upcoming draft than ever. There's nothing to be excited about with this team and nothing on the horizon either. What a **** show. 

P.S. did we hear what we're paying McPhee yet or

4 hours ago, dcdiscokid said:

I get that, but this hybrid bs isnt working, rather switch back to a more traditional defense where your not asking guys to change, or need the rare entity that is a NT... And seems to be a trend actually as more teams switching back to 4-3 base with the new coach hires...

We are mostly 4-3 D now after we got the new D coach with the sprinkle of 3-4 here and there. 

Here is a short but a good read on this very topic: https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/2/2/16963846/are-the-redskins-really-a-3-4-defense-under-greg-manusky

13 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

@ConnSKINS26 Our 35 yr old QB who was an MVP candidate last season. I disagree regarding our ‘core’ being majority 30+. Only Trent, Kerrigan, Norman fit that mold. And I can honestly say I’d be shocked if 24 is on the team after this season. Great player, great guy, too pricey of a contract. 

Cool, did we trade for the Chiefs roster as well? 

Those are our best veteran players/leaders I was referring to, thank you. I didn't say the majority of our core was 30+. I said those guys were 30+, and the next tier of talent is mostly too injury prone to be totally sure of, though hopefully some of it is flukey: Reed, CT, Allen, Brown, Nicholson (if we're lucky and he's good even), Moses (who luckily hasn't missed much time yet despite the plethora of lower body injuries), and possibly Doctson though he seems to be last the Achilles fully now. 

So yeah very little of our roster is both affordable and healthy enough to be excited about. Obviously there are some exceptions. We're gonna have to make tough decisions about the 3 vets we mentioned relatively soonish, and it won't be long before the exciting guys on rookie contracts...aren't any longer. But despite trading for a 34-year old  QB, we aren't in position to take advantage of the combo of our aging leaders and talented guys on rookie contracts....we're just average. 

Edit: Anyways I'm not telling you how to feel about or characterize the roster. I think it's great if you see more potential than I do and are more excited about it. I'm not, I want someone aggressive like the Eagles GM to come in and tear the roster apart from top to bottom and try to create a true window. Or I'd even settle for a slow rebuild like the Jags or Browns, as I mentioned above, stockpiling picks and cap space and then picking a window and going all in. Something more than boring mediocrity every year and the same false hope that I no longer buy. 

I don't really see the issue. What we try to do is -> keep the really good ones, let average players leave (and get paid somewhere else in FA) and fill their spot with young player. 

You then get four level of players in your salary cap: 

1. Very expensive - Old great ones: well respected veterans with a lot of long term success. People see them as face of your franchise. Important part of team but after 30, you need to wonder how long can they stay on top of the game. Example Trent, Norman and Kerrigan. 

2. Pretty Expensive - Prime prospects: Players coming of rookie contract. These are young core players who start moving into their prime. The really good ones you keep because they are the difference makers for the next 4 to 5 years. The average ones you let go because they will get paid in the FA market, so they will not agree to a team friendly deal. 

3. Cheap - Young guns: players on rookie contracts. They get time to develop and need to prove worth of a second contract. 

4. Average - Role players: players from all ages that fill a soecifiek niche on your team they bring important depth but are in general average players that get paid average money. 

Players start at level 3 -> then get upgraded to level 2 if great, test FA if average (might return to level 4 if FA market is not great for them). And at tail end of their prime move into level 1 -> after 30 team will yearly reconsider you salary vs your current playing level. 

Good balance then (in my opinion) is: Level 1 and 2 around 10 to max 15 players. Level 3 around 20/25. Level 4 around 15. We are still in that balance, signing Preston and Brandon to deals next year would just make us a little top heavy but still manageable. It's not like we have then have 15 or more players in level 1 and 2 that are getting paid really really well. 

8 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Wow. Could ATL been offering even less?  I guess its another prove it deal and def see why Jr wouldnt take that knowing his inflated self worth and what the early market paid. Well done Schaeffer (sp?).  

I would work for that slave wage of 1.8m a year any day of the week ? 

But good deal for sure. That's What you should pay for depth and role players. The reason why it's smart to wait until the first wave of FA signings is over. In the first wave you overpay for the same type of player. Realy exeptionel players really get on the FA market. Teams keep does guys. 

39 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Wow. Could ATL been offering even less?  I guess its another prove it deal and def see why Jr wouldnt take that knowing his inflated self worth and what the early market paid. Well done Schaeffer (sp?).  

I'm pretty sure they offered Jr. more. I think he was looking for starter money and we were offering rotational money. It wouldn't surprise me if Allen low balled him, but since he hasn't dashed off to another team yet, I suspect that means his price is one no team was rushing out to shake his hand on.

I'm just guessing though.

I think TK said Junior was looking for around $5 million a year - and the Skins were negotiating still which kind of says it is the right ballpark kind of figure but then the comment came out about slave wages the Redskins FO felt slighted and broke off conversations. McPhee is a hella of a lot of player for not a hell of a lot of $$$

1 hour ago, RabidFan said:

TK reported elsewhere that Jr was offered 3 million and asked for 6 and followed it up with the slave wages comment, they pulled the offer once the twitter nonsense started.

42 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

That McPhee deal is staggering. Great move.

And I guess since now Bruce Allen wants to play the Comp Pick game... if McPhee does “prove it” and gets a decent contract in FA following this season then we will be awarded a comp pick on top of getting McPhee cheap for a year...

21 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

TK reported elsewhere that Jr was offered 3 million and asked for 6 and followed it up with the slave wages comment, they pulled the offer once the twitter nonsense started.

If so, they are really really bothered by twitter-public stuff.  I recall Chris Russell and one another said the kicker about Scot was those photos of him walking the dog and at a whole foods popping up on twitter -- and much of the initial hostility was when his wife went after Russini on twitter. 

The 106.7 guys were talking the other day that they understand they aren't getting an interview from Bruce at the owners meeting because they wrote a critical article about him.

So clearly they pay attention to this stuff. :)

12 minutes ago, Fight for ole DC said:

So...we swapped McPhee for Murphy and saved over $5M in cap space (on a one-year, prove it deal)....wow, our front office really sucks.

If it was all about finding ways to save money.  The FO would be one of the best in the league -- Belichick category.  I don't think too many people think the FO sucks but that its mediocre.   I think mediocre fits their off season so far.  Not great.  Not awful.  If its all about finding good deals -- I agree this FO has that part of it down. But as for building a roster -- so so.  

QB might be a wash.  Gain Scandrick, McPhee, Richardson.  Lose:  Murphy, Galette, Grant, Breeland, Fuller.  The biggest weaknesses before the off season arguably were RB and DT.  Biggest weaknesses now?  the same. 

But we will see what they have next in store.  I suspect they got something else cooking.  they typically do in April. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I told another poster on here I thought it would be a 2 year averaging between 2 to 3 mill. a year but better than I thought.  

I got the Pernell McPhee contract. Super-cheap. It's 1Y, $1.8M. Base is $950K. $500K in per-game roster bonuses. Only guaranteed $350K (signing bonus). Bargain bin.

That would be me, and I was way out !!

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If it was all about finding ways to save money.  The FO would be one of the best in the league -- Belichick category.  I don't think too many people think the FO sucks but that its mediocre.   I think mediocre fits their off season so far.  Not great.  Not awful.  If its all about finding good deals -- I agree this FO has that part of it down. But as for building a roster -- so so.  

QB might be a wash.  Gain Scandrick, McPhee, Richardson.  Lose:  Murphy, Galette, Grant, Breeland, Fuller.  The biggest weaknesses before the off season arguably were RB and DT.  Biggest weaknesses now?  the same. 

But we will see what they have next in store.  I suspect they got something else cooking.  they typically do in April. 

Mediocre to me means average, middle of the pack, 16th best front office or close to that figure.  Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen have proven to be far below that mark and Doug Williams has proven nothing.  

But I do agree with you on the free agency so far.  Resigning Brown was huge, it has to be considered a better move than landing one of the top names because he is proven in this system.  The numbers on McPhee have confirmed that was a solid signing.  I don't see how he blows up as he probably won't be starting.  He is a depth guy and a solid one.   But I still want to know the plan at LG.  It's not like they have a young guy in the pipeline who they can try, Ari has proven to be the stiff that many of us predicted when he was drafted.  

1 hour ago, Fight for ole DC said:

So...we swapped McPhee for Murphy and saved over $5M in cap space (on a one-year, prove it deal)....wow, our front office really sucks.

This is just disingenuous, and doesn't help the conversation around here. Nobody who criticizes the FO does so because we refused to overpay Murphy or because we contend they're actually bad at getting bargain deals for guys like McPhee. Thinking they are not good doesn't mean they can't still make good moves, and it's childish to beat your chest as if that's what anyone's arguing. 

45 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Mediocre to me means average, middle of the pack, 16th best front office or close to that figure.  Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen have proven to be far below that mark and Doug Williams has proven nothing.  

But I do agree with you on the free agency so far.  Resigning Brown was huge, it has to be considered a better move than landing one of the top names because he is proven in this system.  The numbers on McPhee have confirmed that was a solid signing.  I don't see how he blows up as he probably won't be starting.  He is a depth guy and a solid one.   But I still want to know the plan at LG.  It's not like they have a young guy in the pipeline who they can try, Ari has proven to be the stiff that many of us predicted when he was drafted.  

Completely agree with you here on LG.This will have to be a draft focus at this point as it is arguably more important than a RB.. our talent/depth here is nonexistent.

Archived