Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

16 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Ummm ya if they were worried about his shoulders that means he fell due to injury and health concerns like I said, no clue how you come away with anything different then that. He feel due to worry about his health. He played 4 games and was injured. Seems pretty smart those 16 other clubs who passed on him right now. As much as I like and I'm hopeful for Jonathan Allen, draft busts happen every single year. He has a make or break season coming up. I hope he plays to an All Pro level because if he gets injured again all he will be remembered for was a first round bust. 

You might have a point on Allen if he, you know, hurt his shoulders. The ONE thing people werent sure about. But his shoulders were fine and his foot got injured. If you cant comprehend the difference no point in having a conversation. People being concerned about his shoulders, that he didnt ever miss a game for, is not an injury history. AND EVEN IF HE DID, him then having a freak foot injury has no connection. Reed has an injury history, Allen does not.

The point about PT was that he was the one NT the front office pointed to last season saying "We signed one" when they addressed the position. That one guy was a first round draft pick in 2011 who was a bust. This happened because they decided to not re-sign Chris Baker, again being cheap at the position. The loss of Baker took the rush defense from middle of the pack in the league to league worst last year. 

What we have here is a long pattern of Bruce Allen screwing up at building a team and ignoring the position. 

How is 3rd highest paid TE in the league not a "bad" contract when that guy spends more time injured then not and is one hit to head away from retirement? 

Just look at the contracts TEs are getting. If he doesnt play much next year I agree and I partially agree now after this past year. If next year is the same then I wouldnt have an issue with cutting him loose.

Well the newest Redskin has an injury history. You know that guy that was signed yesterday. Care to disagree on that as well?

You have been saying that the Redskins have just been signing guys with injury histories and thats why we have so many injuries. Thats not the case. We have signed a couple here and there, but so does everyone. We have lost tons of people to injury that dont have injury histories, which means it happens a lot. If you say any one injury means they have an injury history then there isnt a single player in the league that you are okay with signing.

You have been saying that they should sign Hankins, who has missed many games as well due to injury. So its okay to sign Hankins with an "injury history" but not others?

4 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

There is a ton of hindsight in this post and frankly with that we could all be HOF GMs.  For what it's worth McClain graded out as a better player than Baker in 2016 and so on the face of it we upgraded by swapping them and added McGee for more depth.  I get that it did not work but on the face of it when the deal was made it was a good decision.  It also bears repeating that we drew up our free agency hit list last year with GMSM and did not deviate from the guys he scouted so the fact that the Mcs busted is on Scott as much as it is on Bruce.

No the decision was an asinine decision to me. They went into the 2017 offseason losing two receivers who got paid big bucks. They had a decision then, Chris Baker wouldn't hurt there comp picks, or sign a bunch of scrubs. Bruce went with signing scrubs and losing the comp picks. I thought this was a stupid decision then and still do. At least this year he's deciding to care about comp picks, problem is he can't get back what he pissed away last year. 

4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

No the decision was an asinine decision to me. They went into the 2017 offseason losing two receivers who got paid big bucks. They had a decision then, Chris Baker wouldn't hurt there comp picks, or sign a bunch of scrubs. Bruce went with signing scrubs and losing the comp picks. I thought this was a stupid decision then and still do. At least this year he's deciding to care about comp picks, problem is he can't get back what he pissed away last year. 

Baker was only ever going to get us a late round comp pick which is of incredibly limited value and is certainly not the reason to abandon your FA strategy.  Swaggy was fun but lazy and it showed on the field, the Bucs had buyers remorse less than a month into last season so I will never fault the FO for letting him walk at the price he was looking for.

27 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Awesome price for McPhee.  Now, let's sign Hankins and draft Vita Vay or Da Ron Payne in the first round.  Then either a guard with the second and RB in the 4th, or vice versa and I'll be happy.

If this happens I would be incredibly happy

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

McPhee's knees are actually made of talcum powder at this point, correct? That's why he was still available and reasonably priced.

I mean, if he regains his 2014 form, this is a hell of a signing, but his over/under on missed games is probably 5.5 per year.

So an upgrade from Galette for sure. :ols::(

9 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Bruce thought it made more sense to sign two bit players for more money then signing his own guy. We just gave up all of the 2014 draft class except Morgan Moses. Why do people think that they are going to be able to re-sign Brandon and the others who are coming due for new contracts knowing what Bruce does? Its nice to think that they will re-sign our guys but seriously it rarely happens. Which is my point about TE. Yes I know that the team needs more then one guy, but quality over quantity always to me. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_draft_history

here's a list of our drafts.  The 2014 draft class just came  up for free agency for the first time.  Of the drafts in earlier years, I'm not seeing a lot of guys who were important to the team leaving, just a lot of depth people or spot starters(and some of the familair names on other rosters may be people we cut and others picked up. I don't know if LeRibieus and Gettis left by free agency or being waived for example)

Listen, I get the mistrust of the FO. The team has yet to prove it on the field with consistent  wins. Their idea is to follow the off-season plan of other successful teams (Packers etc. ) with the hope that it leads to the same level of success. I have faith while others have lost theirs. I get it. Doesn't mean I don't want to prove the doubters wrong and serve them up a crow buffet!

18 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

First off there is no rule of needing a developing TE on a teams roster. None. Second off that's a problem to me. The way the TE develops and takes 2-3 years to be good why waste a draft pick on developing one that you can reasonably expect to leave and go to another team for his best years or be forced to pay a high price to keep?

What?  Of course it’s not a rule.  C’mon man.  It’s an opinion... hence the “I think” at the beginning, right?

If it’s 2 years, you have a guy on a rookie contract for a couple of years.  You also have a chance at compensation via trades/a comp pick.  Or you re-sign him and have a guy that you developed, that you know works in your offense and your locker room.  I mean, it used to be cliche that receivers  (and qbs) took 3 years for things to really click.  Can’t imagine teams deciding to give up drafting and developing late rounders there.  

Why not let another team draft a guy, then in free agency sign him? Trey Burton this year is an example of a team doing that.

Either way the teams going to be paying a high price to get a good TE, except with drafting one of these projects you don't know if they will ever be good. You don't waste the roster spot on a guy the team can't use. You avoid having to use a draft pick on a position that is hard to get a return from on a rookie deal. 

This way you end up with a good TE because they have already developed. You speak as if developing a TE is something this teams known to do. Cooley was a 3rd round pick, Reed was a 3rd round pick. Those aren't developmental guys. 

Well, before Ioannidas, we hadn’t developed a dlineman... glad we didn’t just decide to never draft them.  I don’t speak as if this team is known for developing TEs, I’m talking about wanting developmental guys on the back end of the roster.  If they work out, great, if not, you lost a later round pick.  I mean, they’re called fliers for a reason, right?

I’m really not sure what you’re getting at  in terms of not knowing if a later round draftee will pan out, or if you’ll get your return... or the ‘high price’ part.  I mean, you’re sort of spelling out the nature of the draft Doug Williams style - “I’ve always said the draft is a crap shoot”. 

In your scenario, who mans the #2, 3, 4 spots?  You use FA for all of them?  You’re also acting like I have a philosophy against signing FA TEs.  I don’t.  I’m saying draft one this year, see how they (and Sprinkle) pan out this year and go from there.  If we lose Reed and Davis next year, do those guys step in?  Do we add a FA?  Do we draft a TE relatively early?  I do think that assuming we can land a good TE in FA is a mistake.  I also would rather take some chances to try to avoid a cap hit like Burton’s.  

Perhaps there’s some miscommunication here, but it seems to me that you’re saying drafting developmental TEs is a waste (unless you’re a team that has shown to be good at it... which offers some paradox).  If that’s your take, I’d be surprised if you found any other fans, or any NFL teams that agree with you... and yet I kind of feel you’re responding to me as if I’m being stupid.  

I don’t know man, you’ve come across pretty antagonistic and arrogant in a fair number of posts, and I’m not sure it it’s something you mean to do.  I know that’s a little harsh given the post I’m responding to (a milder one than some others)... but I’ve seen it quite a bit (enough for me to notice), and have long thought about offering some friendly advice on that front.  

18 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

You might have a point on Allen if he, you know, hurt his shoulders. The ONE thing people werent sure about. But his shoulders were fine and his foot got injured. If you cant comprehend the difference no point in having a conversation. People being concerned about his shoulders, that he didnt ever miss a game for, is not an injury history. AND EVEN IF HE DID, him then having a freak foot injury has no connection. Reed has an injury history, Allen does not.

So you argue with me about Allen having an injury concern falling in the draft to us but make a distinction that since it wasn't the same body part he injured playing that he isn't injury prone. Yet at the same time mention Jordan Reed. You do know that Reed has injured many different body parts right? Doesn't really appear so to me. And it's fine not to conversate with me anymore, people that type in ALL CAPS tend to be too emotional to deal with

18 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Just look at the contracts TEs are getting. If he doesnt play much next year I agree and I partially agree now after this past year. If next year is the same then I wouldnt have an issue with cutting him loose.

And they tend to be wrong a lot like you are about Reed's third highest deal in the league for TE's not being a bad deal for the team. It's a horrible deal, and its so bad that even if he played a 16 game full season next year they wouldn't be able to trade him for even a seventh round pick with his concussion issues. That's the definition of a bad contract. 

8 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

So you argue with me about Allen having an injury concern falling in the draft to us but make a distinction that since it wasn't the same body part he injured playing that he isn't injury prone. Yet at the same time mention Jordan Reed. You do know that Reed has injured many different body parts right? Doesn't really appear so to me. And it's fine not to conversate with me anymore, people that type in ALL CAPS tend to be too emotional to deal with

And they tend to be wrong a lot like you are about Reed's third highest deal in the league for TE's not being a bad deal for the team. It's a horrible deal, and its so bad that even if he played a 16 game full season next year they wouldn't be able to trade him for even a seventh round pick with his concussion issues. That's the definition of a bad contract. 

So no response to Hankins having missed many games due to injury? Going to just ignore that one?

13 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Listen, I get the mistrust of the FO. The team has yet to prove it on the field with consistent  wins. Their idea is to follow the off-season plan of other successful teams (Packers etc. ) with the hope that it leads to the same level of success. I have faith while others have lost theirs. I get it. Doesn't mean I don't want to prove the doubters wrong and serve them up a crow buffet!

the problem with the mistrust of the FO is people complain about who they bring in, and who they let go, who are just players they brought in previously and complained about

8 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Great, we can get 4 extra guys late in the draft that aren't good enough to make the team.  Don't get the comp pick love fest around here. Camp fodder.

Redskins draft picks last few years

3rd: Morgan Moses, Spencer Long, Matt Jones, Kendall Fuller, Fabian Moreau

5th: Ryan Grant, Martrell Spaight, Matt Ioannidis, Jeremy Sprinkle

6th: Lache Seastrunk, Kyshoen Jarrett, Tevin Mitchel, Evan Spencer, Nate Sudfeld, Chase Roullier, Robert Davis.

Our picks in the 3rd and 5th round have actually been rather good back to 2014.

6th round has more misses, but thats really not suprising I think for any team. But even at that we got Kyshoen Jarrett who unfortunately had a career ending injury and our starting center for next year Chase Roullier. Thats why people want more picks, more chances of hitting.

We had seven 6th round picks in 4 years which gave us more changes to hit on someone in that late round.

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This fetishization of compensatory picks is getting so weird and so over-the-top that I am not officially declaring it a PR move from the team.

Why am I excited about 2 7th Rounders in 2019?

A big part of it is we dont usually get comp picks. While its not exciting, its a good thing to have more picks.

29 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Baker was only ever going to get us a late round comp pick which is of incredibly limited value and is certainly not the reason to abandon your FA strategy.  Swaggy was fun but lazy and it showed on the field, the Bucs had buyers remorse less than a month into last season so I will never fault the FO for letting him walk at the price he was looking for.

Let me help you. 

By all accounts losing DeSean and losing Pierre and not signing any free agents would have netted the team a 3rd and a 4th round comp pick in 2018. 

When they decided to sign those to DL to replace Baker and improve the line Bruce should have know that signing Baker would keep those picks coming. Signing the two guys they did ended up working against them getting those comp picks. 

Which is why I hated the moves last year and this isn't some hindsight thing you said it was. Never said a damn thing about getting a comp pick for Baker. All I said was deciding to piss away the comp picks for Desean and Pierre was a stupid risky thing to have done, if it didn't work out it clearly showed the world how stupid Bruce is. And it didn't work out. Why you think this season he's all about those comp picks? He just screwed us this year and doesn't want to take that heat

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This fetishization of compensatory picks is getting so weird and so over-the-top that I am not officially declaring it a PR move from the team.

Why am I excited about 2 7th Rounders in 2019?

Right?  Remember when our 2008 draft made the team, all ten picks!  And then none of them made a difference?  PR at its finest.  W-L at its worst.

2 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Great, we can get 4 extra guys late in the draft that aren't good enough to make the team.  Don't get the comp pick love fest around here. Camp fodder.

3rd round camp fodder? 3rd OR LATER round STARTERS on the team right now:

Crowder 4th rounder

Roullier 6th rounder

Moses  3rd rounder

Reed 3rd rounder

Perine 4th rounder

Everett  UDFA

Nicholson 4th rounder

Norman 5th rounder

LMAO camp fodder.

Archived