Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

7 hours ago, skins island connection said:

If any big names pop up for GM, rest assured Allen will deflect them away.

I still have 2 hours 57 minutes to go in hopes Bruce gets canned.

Why Lord, why?

Mayock confirmed as Raiders' GM, so he's off the list  :(.

15 hours ago, Springfield said:

This narrative that the team was somehow good before injuries is silly.  The strategy was, “Score first and hold on for dear life”.

I don’t think I’d ever seen a more boring team with so little comeback-ability.

Pathetic. This team was a peg legged one trick pony, and that was before the defense started to collapse. All Alex Smith's injury insured to me, was that we probably wouldn't win another game, and I said as much.

Injuries happen to every team.  I'm not going to read too much into us having 20+ IR players for each of the last two years because I'm not sure if that is measurable or anyone's fault.

The problem with us though is that we don't draft well enough so that when its time for someone on the bench to step in they aren't that good.

Didn't Gibbs 1.0 have injuries too?  Seemed like we just drafted better back then so they weren't that crippling.

49 minutes ago, Ashburn Dave said:

Injuries happen to every team.  I'm not going to read too much into us having 20+ IR players for each of the last two weeks because I'm not sure if that is measurable or anyone's fault.

The problem with us though is that we don't draft well enough so that when its time for someone on the bench to step in they aren't that good.

Didn't Gibbs 1.0 have injuries too?  Seemed like we just drafted better back then so they weren't that crippling.

I know it's over an done, but I often wonder what this team would look like had we not used 3 #1 & a #2 to get RG3.  I realize the Rams did **** with those picks, but still. 

Of course, the cap debacle was entirely another issue, created by the FO by overpaying Fat Albert and Portis.

1 hour ago, Ashburn Dave said:

Gibbs’ ran notoriously hard training camps. By the time the regular season opened.... every single guy on that roster was battle-tested. He created an environment of tough SOBs that played through pain. Yes, that style of football lended itself to injuries... but they also used to PUNISH teams (very often knocking out the other team’s best player). And when they suffered injuries of their own... their backups could substitute with little drop off because they practiced like starters.

Gruden runs a club med in order to keep guys healthy in time for the regular season. No matter how many years he coaches... his training camps are like the players have never seen his offence before and they have to re-learn it. You never see a level of comfortability with the players with his offence. There’s never any growth. And you see it in the pre-season.... sloppy offensive football... and slow starts to the season. Regardless of how many years they’ve been in the system. And because he’s trying to coach the starters up in time for the regular season.... its as if the backups/subs don’t get any reps in practice.

So during the regular season, when the Skins suffer injuries... the backups can’t come in and contribute. And Jay has to ‘coach them up more’.

Jay is a wonderful human being. He’s just a terrible coach. He needs to go. But at this point.... I don’t think anything matters any more.

Gruden has had 5 years.... and he hasn’t developed any semblance of a competent NFL running game other than an odd game here and there. And oddly, despite this being the offense’s glaring weaknesses.... how does he predictably play-call?!? Run-Run-(3rd and long) Pass. 

The only player that’s develop in his 5 years.... was Cousins.

1 hour ago, Ashburn Dave said:

In all fairness, completely different NFL, with no salary cap. Cooke had no problem shelling out big money for top backups. Also, the Skins were notorious for putting guys on IR with “phantom” injuries, just so they could stash them away.

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The more narratives I hear about Dan and Bruce the more I wonder maybe the one or two players from the SB narrative that they supposedly keeping buying into maybe has something to do with the alleged rampant drinking going on at Redskins Park.

It's been awhile since I've gotten tanked myself but next time I do, I'll try to find a moment to post on the board maybe I'll start seeing things their way too from that mind frame.

That might be my one shot to understand roster construction from the wacky world of Dan and Bruce. I have to stop doing this sober.  After 6 beers or so, though am not a Coors Light guy, it will all make sense to me.

You’ve been a Redskins fan lo these many years and haven’t gotten tanked in a while?!?

You’re just not doing it right!🤪

40 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

The only player that’s develop in his 5 years.... was Cousins.

Did he, though?

anyways... I wonder if part of the “I dunno” schtick is that he is overruled so often that he doesn’t quite care. Who knows who is mandating these soft practices. It could absolutely be Gruden. But we all know Allen is very hands on... and if he didn’t want practices soft he’d tell the coach exactly how it was going to be. 

This is is why my narrative is simple: If Bruce stays Jay has to stay. Especially now. 8 openings and not many are less appealing than this one. The Dolphins are pretty ****ed organizationally, too, so toss a coin. But add in tax free living for them. They win. Cleveland, Cincy, Green Bay, Tampa, Denver, NYJ are all more intriguing. And maybe even Arizona. The Skins have poor management, horrendous culture and a crap QB situation.

Although it all comes down to point of view. If you want the Skins to win next year Gruden in the best shot because he is already stuck here and has been here so at least there is some sort of continuity. If you want them to tank next year then hire a new guy who isn’t aware of what Bruce Allen does.

the best scenario, in my opinion, is Allen goes and Gruden goes by association. In that scenario the job becomes at least a touch more attractive in the fact they aren’t saddled by Bruce. 

But that’s probably not going to happen. 

Also slightly OT: I can’t believe how many GMs survived while their coaches got canned. I’m a believer that a GM has a longer lifespan in the NFL by necessity... but how can Arizona’s GM survive... or Miami’s who was “re-assigned”? 

49 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Gibbs’ ran notoriously hard training camps. By the time the regular season opened.... every single guy on that roster was battle-tested. He created an environment of tough SOBs that played through pain. Yes, that style of football lended itself to injuries... but they also used to PUNISH teams (very often knocking out the other team’s best player). And when they suffered injuries of their own... their backups could substitute with little drop off because they practiced like starters.

That was a different era.

Now there's a CBA that prevent this kind of things.

Don't you remember with Gibbs 2.0? I believe it was its first year. The team got fined because we posted videos of guys training with pads on while it was forbidden by the CBA...

10 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Being a GM on a team where the HC has been signed to a 10 years 100M contract.

That is some scapegoat job...

Good point, I didn't think of that. They obviously got him for his scouting knowledge and with Gruden stock-piling picks it should be an interesting draft for them, incumbent HC or not.

I really like Mayock and would've loved it if he came here.

Scott Van Pelt on the Redskins: ‘Is anyone at Redskins Park listening?’

"Van Pelt then told of running into some Redskins executives last winter at the Super Bowl in Minneapolis. He was, he told his national audience, “blown away by their arrogance."

“They still carry themselves like their brand is royalty,” Van Pelt said. “You’re like Sears: something that once was. In what make-believe space do you exist where you convince yourself of some alternate reality?"" 👍

56 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

That was a different era.

Now there's a CBA that prevent this kind of things.

Don't you remember with Gibbs 2.0? I believe it was its first year. The team got fined because we posted videos of guys training with pads on while it was forbidden by the CBA...

I’m not talking about breaking the rules 🙂 You can run a hard training camp with lots of contract... on the designated days. They have already increased roster limits and practice squad numbers. And teams are still stashing guys on IR.

Gruden’s team have minimal contact. And most guys on are the sidelines rehabbing. And then when the lights come on... they’re back on IR. Your best ability is your availability. Gibbs lived by that. 

The comments from the patriots players after the joint practices were pretty damning. 

What you need is active, hard, fast paced practices with a lot of attention to detail.  A lot of conditioning and hitting when allowed. 

We dont need the Junction Boys or anything. 

But more active, aggressive and up tempo practices which prepare the team better for TACKLE football.

4 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

SVP for Team President 

What in God’s name would ever entice him to take that job?

29 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Scott Van Pelt on the Redskins: ‘Is anyone at Redskins Park listening?’

"Van Pelt then told of running into some Redskins executives last winter at the Super Bowl in Minneapolis. He was, he told his national audience, “blown away by their arrogance."

“They still carry themselves like their brand is royalty,” Van Pelt said. “You’re like Sears: something that once was. In what make-believe space do you exist where you convince yourself of some alternate reality?"" 👍

Yeah multiple people have said variations of this:

A.  Finley saying last off season the FO was arrogant, crowing in the building about how they should win the division let alone just make the playoffs.

B.  Sheehan loves to say talking to people over there, they are arrogant as heck.  He likes to say they will never learn because they are arrogant and dense and that's the worst combination. 

C.  Russell likes to say Bruce-Dan think their crap doesn't stink, Bruce in particular thinks he's always the smartest guy in the room

D.  Even in the WP story, the idea that Dan and company are put off and surprised by the fan discontent -- similar thing Keim said weeks ago on a podcast which is the FO is befuddled by any fan discontent

E.  Hoffman saying that Bruce-Dan didn't buy into Lafemina's version of events which is they've been doing it wrong and fans are upset.

Finlay and Sheehan talked about it in recent podcasts that they go to the Harvestfest type of events and bask in the groupie type fans who think they can do no wrong.  You see a little of it on twitter and to a lesser extent once in awhile on this board (though not lately), people who associate fandom to having Bruce and Dan's back.   Bruce characterizes people like us as the stragglers -- the ones who are discontent.  And see the small number of fans who love everything they do as the average fan.

Piecing these narratives together I think Bruce has a big part of this because he seems more attuned to the media-public stuff than Dan according to some.  So I can see Bruce going out drinking with Dan saying hey the fans love us and you'll always have some discontented fans who will never go away because they can never be satisfied.

I think this rodeo will come crashing finally next season.  Part of me thought it would happen this season but as I said then I could see anything from a 7-9 to 11-5 season.  At the moment looking at 2019 (unless they surprise me this off season) its looking to me like 5-11.

But yeah beat guys say they crowed about their talent last year but said injuries did them in.  Looks like its exactly the same song this year.

Archived