Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

I love Cooley's breakdowns and miss his show every morning during football season.  That said, trotting him out in any capacity, is just more of what everyone here has had enough of.  I don't think there is any chance it pulls on the heart strings enough to start filling the stadium back up.  Merely reshuffling the deck chairs and adding in Cooley as a surprise performer on the Titanic doesn't move me.

Of course, I'd take it over the way things stand right now.  He can't hurt.  It's just nowhere near enough.

Count me as a NO on Cooley.  He's simply another middle man that will say YES to anything Bruce and Dan say.  We need to get rid of the disease who is Allen.  Until that happens, we continue the way we are going.

As stated worst case scenario for me would be:

Schaffer replacing Allen and the responsibility as cap guru, Smith as GM and he picks the new HC and the new HC picks his coaches.  If Smith wants Gruden to stay I support his decision.

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Not even remotely the same thing.  

It's ALL a distraction, which was the point. 

Hiring Cooley does what?  Appeases (some) fans in the interim until it ultimately fails because the powers-that-be are what....still in power.

Having Gibbs on the sideline did what?  Appeases/distracted fans in the interim until you realize it's still a dumpster fire due to the powers-that-be still being in power. 

Same deal. 

34 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Count me as a NO on Cooley.  He's simply another middle man that will say YES to anything Bruce and Dan say.  We need to get rid of the disease who is Allen.  Until that happens, we continue the way we are going.

Anyone Bruce feels threatened by is a sure goner as long as he holds Dan's ear - just ask Scot McCloughan. The Bruce Allen's and Danny's of the world just want bootlickers and folks massaging their ego's surrounding them. Anybody that can see through their facades and actually have a sense of humility and a spine does not have a chance.

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

As stated worst case scenario for me would be:

Schaffer replacing Allen and the responsibility as cap guru, Smith as GM and he picks the new HC and the new HC picks his coaches.  If Smith wants Gruden to stay I support his decision.

There was some gossip about a potential Mike Mayock signing as a GM early last year......I would have been all over that, but now we are talking about Captain Chaos Chris Cooley as a front office man.  But I agree with you.....I am a firm NO on Cooley as well.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I'd be for hiring Gibbs on one condition. The contract leaves Gibbs the option to purchase majority control of the team.

I would be all on board having Gibbs on board in any capacity.  His son J.D. has taken a bigger responsibility in running Joe Gibbs Racing company and maybe Joe can give his sons full responsibility and maybe he can come in and become our new team President.  Then have AJ Smith partner up with Kyle Smith and help function as the GM.  That would be a dream come true.

10 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This is insanity. Cooley as GM. Pfffft.

Look, if he wanted to get in the org as a scout or even TE coach. I could see that. But nothing beyond. 

At least Cooley knows more about football than our actual GM, or the guy doing it, i.e.: Bruce Allen.

So at the very least, that would be an upgrade over what we have right now.

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

At least Cooley knows more about football than our actual GM, or the guy doing it, i.e.: Bruce Allen.

So at the very least, that would be an upgrade over what we have right now.

Yeah, that's a low bar set. We don't need a guy who has never held a front office position. We need a guy who has been working in a stable org for a long time under a quality Team President and/or GM.

1 minute ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Yeah, that's a low bar set. We don't need a guy who has never held a front office position. We need a guy who has been working in a stable org for a long time under a quality Team President and/or GM.

Well currently our bar is underwater so.....

59 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

It's ALL a distraction, which was the point. 

Hiring Cooley does what?  Appeases (some) fans in the interim until it ultimately fails because the powers-that-be are what....still in power.

Having Gibbs on the sideline did what?  Appeases/distracted fans in the interim until you realize it's still a dumpster fire due to the powers-that-be still being in power. 

Same deal. 

Having Gibbs on the sideline appeased 0 people.

Hiring Cooley would bring a very talented evaluator into the building, and one who has a good relationship with Jay, Bruce and Dan.

He could actually be helpful in building a winning team. 

Gibbs being there was basically pointless.  Unless he was there to advise Dan on anything, in which case I hope Dan was taking copious notes.

Disagree with those who have a big issue with Cooley helping out in the personnel department but I do understand the criticism -- having said that, I think we are wasting our time debating it.  My fault on that count, I saw people debating it on twitter based on making deductions from the Burgandy Blog dude -- and I was amused how much it took off and its still hot on twitter.  But as far as I can tell the whole debate is based on nothing other than pure speculation of why was Cooley among others in a meeting with Dan after Sunday's game. 

Just now, RabidFan said:

Well currently our bar is underwater so.....

I'm not arguing that.

Nobody is going to come into this org and work for Snyder right now. They would need a contract that basically gives them total control with protection against Snyder changing his mind in a year (or less), and Snyder isn't going to give out that kind of deal. 

So, they are ****ed.

I still want the 2nd in command from Pittsburgh, Omar Kahn. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Disagree with those who have a big issue with Cooley helping out in the personnel department but I do understand the criticism -- having said that, I think we are wasting our time debating it.  My fault on that count, I saw people debating it on twitter based on making deductions from the Burgandy Blog dude -- and I was amused how much it took off and its still hot on twitter.  But as far as I can tell the whole debate is based on nothing other than pure speculation of why was Cooley among others in a meeting with Dan after Sunday's game. 

It’s an interesting hypothetical if nothing else.  And it’s probab nothing else.

it IS interesting though that Cooley was invited in to talk to Dan and jay was not.

That is kinda ... interesting.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It’s an interesting hypothetical if nothing else.  And it’s probab nothing else.

it IS interesting though that Cooley was invited in to talk to Dan and jay was not.

If by interesting.... we mean bothersome. 

What's weird is that earlier we were told Snyder left the game early. Now it's that he stayed late at the Stadium. To do what? Act surprised that what everyone said was going to happen.....happened? Maybe he sat there as Bruce and Larry and Wylie all told him how everything was bad luck and he's a great owner? Maybe he asked Gibbs "What should I do?" Maybe he sat there and did the math around the NFL profit sharing model and then took a dump at the 50 yard line.

It's days later and he still hasn't done anything about anything.

Interesting stuff not sure what to nake of it but it seems as though Damn Snyder can see the writing on the wall. Unfortunately he crashed the plane into the mountain first. Now he has put himself and the franchise in position of being the hot chick with herpes.  So hes gotta reach out to people who love the franchise so much that they wouldn't be able to abandon him in his time of need. Pretty f'n sad really. Buys him a little time and goodwill until he crashes again.  One thing is for certain though  CC or JJG in any capacity would be exponentially better than Bruce.

I still dont get the whole BA thing.  His pops was a doochebag who screwed over other teams in trade deals and wouldn't treated Sonny like a pariah. That was a little before my day so I grew up with Pardee then Gibbs then the ensuing s show until Gibbs 2.0 which was still better than anything this team has done in the last 25 years.

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah agree but to me the more likely relevance to it is that Dan is asking Cooley's take for the state of affairs.   The problem though is obvious if Bruce is in the room for all of these discussions.

I do know what (as many others here do) what Cooley thinks about a lot of things.  And he's not in the camp of if only for injuries this team is great.  He's not in love with this roster at all.   

I just read a long rant that I can't post here because of all the profanity in it -- actually a lot of good tweets I don't post here for the same reason that are really good about Dan-Bruce.  but for anyone who follows Chad Ryan, you can find it on a recent retweet from him.

It's a long diatribe from an Eagles fan basically saying he hates the NFC East rivals and their fan bases but its hard for him to hate the Redskins fan base anymore because he feels so sorry for them and that no fan base deserves management like they got.  And its bad for the NFL.  He makes the point really colorfully. 

I've soaked in so much of the Bruce allen vitriol today that it inspired me to buy one of those fire Bruce Allen T-shirts sold by barstool

Archived