Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Also slightly OT: I can’t believe how many GMs survived while their coaches got canned. I’m a believer that a GM has a longer lifespan in the NFL by necessity... but how can Arizona’s GM survive... or Miami’s who was “re-assigned”? 

This is actually why I don’t be favor the GM hiring the coach.  I think either the owner (if then owner is competent like Kraft) or a football executive should hire both the HC and GM, so the same person assembling the roster isn’t not evaluating the coach.

separation of duties.  Then be executive can determine if one side is failing the other.

Ironically, when Scot was here, IF he was actually given the authority he should have been, we would have had that structure.

However When you have then weong person at the top, nothing else really matters.

Thanks to @spjunkies for posting the SVP video. He is so spot on. And the WAPO article reference is so true. I used to be angry when the team lost. It felt personal. Now, yea I don't like it. But i have become so numb to it, it's just eh this is typical Redskins. 

What's really irritating is that it's not "Typical Redskins". It's "Typical Redskins" under Dan Snyder. I can't stand Bruce Allen and have made that clear - and of course I am no where near alone. But ultimately it's Dan Snyder who has taken away something I truly looked forward to as a kid. I could not wait for Sunday. I would change work schedules to I could watch games. Now, eh, if the weather is good i would rather play golf, and typically do. What's worse, is it's hard for me to watch any game. I can;t really enjoy them until the last second is off the clock. I find myself wallowing in misery wondering how they will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory - yet again! 

Unfortunately, the arrogance SVP spoke of, is exactly why nothing will change. They have already convinced themselves that they are just a few healthy guys from winning it all! That those wins will bring the fans back. Even if that were true - it's not at all - it would be temporary. A few losses the next season and they all go away. 

Snyder ruins everything he touches. The Redskins should have been a n easy one to not screw up. But he has managed to do it. He may have money. But he is nothing but a loser and will never be anything but a loser. 

40 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The comments from the patriots players after the joint practices were pretty damning. 

What you need is active, hard, fast paced practices with a lot of attention to detail.  A lot of conditioning and hitting when allowed. 

We dont need the Junction Boys or anything. 

But more active, aggressive and up tempo practices which prepare the team better for TACKLE football.

What in God’s name would ever entice him to take that job?

Instead we have Sanchez covering Crowder in the end zone during training drills :wtf:🤢

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is actually why I don’t be favor the GM hiring the coach.  I think either the owner (if then owner is competent like Kraft) or a football executive should hire both the HC and GM, so the same person assembling the roster isn’t not evaluating the coach.

separation of duties.  Then be executive can determine if one side is failing the other.

Ironically, when Scot was here, IF he was actually given the authority he should have been, we would have had that structure.

However When you have then weong person at the top, nothing else really matters.

I don’t trust Snyder to hire a coach.  I don’t really even trust him to hire a GM.  All this talk about firing Bruce Allen is great, but...

When Allen is fired, it’s up to Snyder to hire a General Manager (my belief is that the GM should assemble the team).  Who here honestly believes that Snyder can actually find a GM that’s competent.  He’s had Cerrato, Shanahan and Allen, of which, Shanahan probably built the team the best (if you argued otherwise, fine, I don’t care).

Basically, simply because Allen gets fired, it doesn’t mean that this team is instantly on the right track.  It doesn’t mean we as fans should instantly get back on the bandwagon.  It means that we have fired a GM and are simply hoping that Snyder doesn’t screw up yet again... and his track record this far is simply woeful.

Why can’t this franchise be more like the Steelers, Packers, and Jags?

Oh wait... 

;) 

Half joking, but it’s tough with new age athlete, salary cap, and increased access for the public. 

With that said, the Steelers and Packers have hall of fame QBs to rebound easier than a team say like the Jags or Skins. 

**Please don’t get too upset, as I’m not happy with workings of the FO, but man, it’s hard. 

21 minutes ago, wit33 said:

With that said, the Steelers and Packers have hall of fame QBs to rebound easier than a team say like the Jags or Skins. 

**Please don’t get too upset, as I’m not happy with workings of the FO, but man, it’s hard. 

A variation of this is sort of my hope.  I've arguably pounded both Dan and Bruce as hard as anyone on this thread, I'd put myself at least top 5. 😎

But I am in a weird way one of the more optimistic ones as to the issue of can this turnaround.  And a lot of that is from being a Yankee fan.  Steinbrenner granted had some initial success but had a 15 year bad spell and had a lot of similarities to Dan.  Ironically, that was a big part of my conversation with Lafemina -- we talked parallels.  Lafemina knew Steinbrenner.  Steinbrenner eventually got lucky, part of it ironically stemmed for a suspension he got from the league.  But he hired a good GM (Gene Michael) who just kept hitting on good players.

In this case, if we finally luck into a franchise QB I think that would be a huge deal.   One of the unlucky aspects of Dan's tenure is we are never the worst team in the NFL, the closest we've been to it was in 2013 when we didn't own the pick anyway.  this team needs to crash and 2019 is the perfect time to do it. 

Also by dumb luck it seems like Eric Schaffer is next in line or Kyle if Bruce leaves.  So I don't see it on our end as wild speculation in terms of what's next and does Dan hire another Bruce.  Yeah its possible.  But I don't think its that big of a wild card because if Schaffer or Kyle are next in line neither seems incompetent or a douche.   The idea that Bruce was corrupted by Dan -- doubt that's the case, not just because of the narratives I keep hearing but also because of Bruce's prior rep. 

So my hope is one day -- franchise QB.  One day -- Dan's best buddy is a competent dude with good people skills.  does that happen?  got no idea.  But I don't see it as some wild impossible hope.   Will see. 

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

In all fairness, completely different NFL, with no salary cap. Cooke had no problem shelling out big money for top backups. Also, the Skins were notorious for putting guys on IR with “phantom” injuries, just so they could stash them away.

I’m not talking about Gibbs 1.0 (pre-CBA). I’m talking about Gibbs 2.0 specifically. Remember how Portis put all that weight on.... because Gibbs wanted to return to smash mouth? They were hammering each other all day long.

I’m not 

25 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don’t trust Snyder to hire a coach.  I don’t really even trust him to hire a GM.  All this talk about firing Bruce Allen is great, but...

When Allen is fired, it’s up to Snyder to hire a General Manager (my belief is that the GM should assemble the team).  Who here honestly believes that Snyder can actually find a GM that’s competent.  He’s had Cerrato, Shanahan and Allen, of which, Shanahan probably built the team the best (if you argued otherwise, fine, I don’t care).

Basically, simply because Allen gets fired, it doesn’t mean that this team is instantly on the right track.  It doesn’t mean we as fans should instantly get back on the bandwagon.  It means that we have fired a GM and are simply hoping that Snyder doesn’t screw up yet again... and his track record this far is simply woeful.

Snyder needs to hire one guy to run the team.  

You know what I would do?  If he was willing I’d hire Gibbs as the President. Then let him pick the GM and HC.  That’s what happened when Oarcells took over the Dolphins.  When Coughlin took over Jax.

Gibbs knows people.  He’s be a good person to pick the right day to day guys.  

I’d be more comfortable with Dan picking the guy who picks the GM than Dan picking the GM

And lets not kid ourselves.  The owner IS going to be involved in interviewing and selecting the HC. So Dan needs a guy who he trusts who can advise him well.

8 minutes ago, max21 said:

Is Scott Van pelt a redskins fan? That video was pretty deep. 

Not anymore but he grew up here’s in the 70’s and went to Maryland.  He has deep ties to the community.

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Snyder needs to hire one guy to run the team.  

You know what I would do?  If he was willing I’d hire Gibbs as the President. Then let him pick the GM and HC.  That’s what happened when Oarcells took over the Dolphins.  When Coughlin took over Jax.

Gibbs knows people.  He’s be a

good person to pick the right day to day guys.  

I agree with this.  My one fear about Gibbs is he's such a nice guy and so trusting that if Dan asks Gibbs should I get rid of so and so, Gibbs might say no.  I engaged with you on this on another point way back and that is some forget that Gibbs was a cheerleader for Cerrato both publicly and according to beat guys privately.  I know it sounds counter intuitive but Gibbs was a Vinny guy.  Vinny to this day loves himself Gibbs if you ever hear him on talk radio because he was a powerful guy who had his back.

But if Dan already decides to move on from Bruce and then asks Gibbs to take over the process.  I'd be all in.  

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

“They still carry themselves like their brand is royalty,” Van Pelt said. “You’re like Sears: something that once was. In what make-believe space Pelt said. “You’re like Sears: something that once was. In what make-believe space do you exist where you convince yourself of some alternate reality?"" 👍

Snyder is insane. He's Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now who believed that you must dump all of your morality in order to win. That you can murder him just don't judge his decisions because you don't understand what he knows.

Some of the lines

Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me

What does it tell you when the owner of a multibillion dollar sports team refuses to communicate, hasn't addressed the fans in years, has no twitter, fb, or even pretends to not have email? Maybe this one fits:

Kurtz:   “It’s judgment that defeats us.”

Snyder knows for a fact that he's doing it right. He's making winning decisions on top of winning decisions.

We just don't get it YET! The fans and media can kill him publicly without him ever making a single statement to the public but don't judge him if you work for him because you're fired.

He's a loon. Has been since day 1.  Nothing has changed other than his willingness to talk about it.

Another interesting thing is that Apocalypse Now is a movie version of the book titled Heart of Darkness.

Year's ago I think it was Riggins who said that Dan Snyder has a dark heart which seemed like an odd statement at the time. Why not just call him an asshole or something? I wonder if he has read the book and if his comment meant more than what it was taken for.

Wake me up when we the movie is over and Dan Snyder in his dying breath crys out "The horror....the horror"

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think this rodeo will come crashing finally next season.  Part of me thought it would happen this season but as I said then I could see anything from a 7-9 to 11-5 season.  At the moment looking at 2019 (unless they surprise me this off season) its looking to me like 5-11.

Sadly no.  

The excuse for next years 5-11 is ALREADY written. No QB.  AND. An $18 million dollar hit to the cap because of Alex’s contract.  So they couldn’t go out and get players even if they wanted to.  

Alex won’t be ready.  Colt will get hurt.  They will try and suite up with essentially the same crowd, I bet they resign Crowder, keep Reed, probably trust Luavao/Ari/the other guys on the roster at LG, CT, etc. Mason will be back.  They won’t upgrade at WR, trusting Doctson to show something, and Richardson to stay healthy. 

None me of it will work but it will be blamed on injuries, no QB, and lack of funds.  This will bring everybody back again. 

The story Bruce is selling is they are close.  Caveat; WITH ALEX SMITH.  

So so he won’t go blow up or upgrade the roster, or it will appear as though they are not close.  

And they wont have the QB. So they will lose. 

I said in April of last year that the excuse for Jay for 2018 had already been written because they were going to change nothing and the same guys were going to get hurt so the same excuses would hold.

Its just as true now as it was then.  

They will change nothing, not have the QB, and that will be the excuse next year. 

Then 2020 is the rookie QB year, assuming Alex doesn’t come back.  Or it’s the return of Alex. Either way rhe QB play will be spotty, so it’s a wash.  2021 is the second year of the rookie QB or the second year of a healthy Alex Smith, maybe then Bruce will be evaluated.  

They will blame rhe fan apathy on losing, which they will blame on injuries, and they’ll just say when they get a QB it will all be ok.

This circus is here to stay for at least 2, probably more like 4 years.

And no, I’m really not exaggerating at this point.  It’s so predictable. 

Not to pat myself on the back, but I’ve called all this stuff pretty accurately for 3 years just based on understanding how Dan thinks, and Bruce manupules him. 

I’d LOVE nothing more to be wrong,  it the band is back next year and 2020 basically regardless of results.

Bruce is here until he decides he doesn’t want to be here.  

And Jay will be here that long unless he quits or decides not to sign an extension.

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But yeah beat guys say they crowed about their talent last year but said injuries did them in.  Looks like its exactly the same song this year.

I mean, Jay’s been singing that song since training camp when Richardson started to miss time and Arie went down over the summer.  It’s the company line, and while there is some truth to it, it’s not like they’ve taken any real steps to mitigate the injury risk or even understand why they’re hit more than other teams.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with this.  My one fear about Gibbs is he's such a nice guy and so trusting that if Dan asks Gibbs should I get rid of so and so, Gibbs might say no.  I engaged with you on this on another point way back and that is some forget that Gibbs was a cheerleader for Cerrato both publicly and according to beat guys privately.  I know it sounds counter intuitive but Gibbs was a Vinny guy.  Vinny to this day loves himself Gibbs if you ever hear him on talk radio because he was a powerful guy who had his back.

But if Dan already decides to move on from Bruce and then asks Gibbs to take over the process.  I'd be all in.  

Gibbs can make tough decisions when needed.  He’s shown it his entire life.  If he honestly thinks. Guy has to go because he couldn’t do the job, he’s say so.  The problem with him and Vinny is I don’t think he realized how much the NFL had changed and by the time he really caught on, he was gone again.

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Snyder is insane. He's Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now who believed that you must dump all of your morality in order to win. That you can murder him just don't judge his decisions because you don't understand what he knows.

He's got a big Ego problem for sure leading to arrogant ownership "autism". He lives in his own fantasy football world, he is prone to repetitive behaviors and has nonverbal communication with the fans and most medias.

15 hours ago, TK said:

FYI 

Dan hits the Bahamas after the end of every season.

Don't expect any actual moves until either the week before the SB or after it.

Another loss and misunderstanding about the Dan.  He gets the leftovers by doing this while every other team which has openings has cast out its nets for FO and HC candidates.

Gifting Daniel Snyder any money or land for a new Redskins stadium would be absolute madness

" Even his fellow owner-billionaires in the NFL are embarrassed and unhappy about the yawning decks of unfilled seats, and the black mood of the few influentials who still go to Redskins games, a league executive told me.

Richmond had to rob a school fund of more than $5 million to help pay for it, and is facing $750,000 per year in ongoing debt payments. It’s a total albatross. When the Richmond city council expressed distress and unwillingness to extend the deal last summer, Allen told the Washington Times, “I’m not going to worry about that right now. I’m just hoping for some sunshine to dry out our fields. " 🤢

2 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I’m not talking about Gibbs 1.0 (pre-CBA). I’m talking about Gibbs 2.0 specifically. Remember how Portis put all that weight on.... because Gibbs wanted to return to smash mouth? They were hammering each other all day long.

I’m not 

Yeah, I was specifically replying to the person who posted about “Gibbs 1.0”...Ashburn Dave, I think.

I’ll give Jenkins credit.  Her consistency and commitment to raining misery and pain upon the fan base is impressive.

Regarding the training camp deal:  I’m a resident of Richmond and I’ve gone to 2-3 days a year since it opened.  It’s a vast upgrade over Ashburn and usually gets pretty good crowds considering the weather vacillates between oppressively hot or raining buckets.  If you haven’t been, I recommend it.  

Regarding the esteemed Richmond City Council:  Over the last 40 years, they’ve signed on to one ridiculous deal after another.  They got THIS CLOSE last year to ponying up 8 figures for a minor league baseball stadium to be built in the flood zone/bottom in what would’ve been the greatest boondoggle in human history, possibly.  Trust me when I say that the train8ng camp deal doesn’t come close to the top 10 head-scratchers for the RCC.

Regarding the food trucks:  There are literally dozens of fantastic restaurants within walking distance of the camp.  That deal was never gonna pan out,

5 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Gibbs’ ran notoriously hard training camps. By the time the regular season opened.... every single guy on that roster was battle-tested. He created an environment of tough SOBs that played through pain. Yes, that style of football lended itself to injuries... but they also used to PUNISH teams (very often knocking out the other team’s best player). And when they suffered injuries of their own... their backups could substitute with little drop off because they practiced like starters.

Gruden runs a club med in order to keep guys healthy in time for the regular season. No matter how many years he coaches... his training camps are like the players have never seen his offence before and they have to re-learn it. You never see a level of comfortability with the players with his offence. There’s never any growth. And you see it in the pre-season.... sloppy offensive football... and slow starts to the season. Regardless of how many years they’ve been in the system. And because he’s trying to coach the starters up in time for the regular season.... its as if the backups/subs don’t get any reps in practice.

So during the regular season, when the Skins suffer injuries... the backups can’t come in and contribute. And Jay has to ‘coach them up more’.

Jay is a wonderful human being. He’s just a terrible coach. He needs to go. But at this point.... I don’t think anything matters any more.

Gruden has had 5 years.... and he hasn’t developed any semblance of a competent NFL running game other than an odd game here and there. And oddly, despite this being the offense’s glaring weaknesses.... how does he predictably play-call?!? Run-Run-(3rd and long) Pass. 

The only player that’s develop in his 5 years.... was Cousins.

No argument there that Gruden is too soft a coach.  Give me a hard ass all day long to get them into battle shape.  If I could pick one to go between Jay and Bruce it's not even close.  Bruce has to go.  A new GM already knows what he has with Gruden so I doubt Jay would last another year or two with a new GM so win win.

1 minute ago, kwitt said:

Mentioned earlier that spjunkies posted Van Pelt video.  I can't find it.  Anyone have it??  Would love to see.   He carries a ton of weight.  Dude is outperforming Kimmel and Fallon in ratings.  

Here you are, bro.

Archived