Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

2 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Does Cooley really have the credentials to be a general manager?

Did John Lynch?

I wouldn’t give him final personnel power, but with Bruce here, really nobody is going to get that anyway.  

He’d kinda be like Scot McCloughan.  A super scout.

Also I doubt Bruce would get bent out of shape of Cooley talked to players.  The reason Bruce got mad at Scot for that is he saw it as a threat.  Chris isn’t a threat.

I doubt this happens, regardless.  Maybe Dan just wanted Chris’ opinion on Kyle Smith, Kevin O’Connell, Hell even Jay.

I’ll say this: if Cooley became a trusted advisor of Dan, in any capacity, that’s good for everyone. 

It is a bad time to be firing your coach and looking for a new one. 8 coaching seats are vacant right now. If the Skins fire Gruden that would make 9. Does anyone think our open coaching position would be more coveted than the other 8? Not a chance. This is a place where players and coaches come to die.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I might be all alone on this and I might be crazy.  But honestly I wouldn’t care. Cooley knows his stuff, and he’s been outstanding predicting which players will be successful and which don’t.

Didnt the 49ers hire John Lunch who was just doing Tv?

Again, I doubt it happens.  But if it did, Snyder and Allen get a guy they trust who has played and who knows ball.

There are a lot of worse choices FOR THIS SITUATION.

I've debated this with others including people who agree with me on just about everything else.  But I am with you, I like Cooley.  I want smart people in that building especially ones who are nice guys.    Cooley fits that bill IMO.

The counter argument I gather is a combination of him being a clown as a player, close to Dan-Bruce and them going for a celebrity choice versus one of the big name personnel people that gets mentioned by national pundits.  And while I get the counter argument to Cooley as I laid out and actually agree with it in theory -- I throw it out the window for Cooley and maybe its the ego in me but I agree with him on so many macro positions about the team, strengths, weaknesses -- guys i like in the draft, etc -- that the dude always is singing to me -- so I'd dig it from that stand point.  

We talk here about how the FO thinks the team is one or two players away and is delusional as heck.  Cooley isn't delusional at all.  He would bring some needed reality to that FO.  He also gets that the fans despise Bruce-Dan.  We talk about how the FO is out of touch.  Cooley gets the point big time.  So i don't see him with a bigger role in that FO as a bad thing.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

It is a bad time to be firing your coach and looking for a new one. 8 coaching seats are vacant right now. If the Skins fire Gruden that would make 9. Does anyone think our open coaching position would be more coveted than the other 8? Not a chance. This is a place where players and coaches come to die.

JP released a tweet saying Jay was safe.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Maybe that’s why Cooley was in the meetings. Because he’ll be HC.

The idea of anyone with a track record or buzz coming here is laughable. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've debated this with others including people who agree with me on just about everything else.  But I am with you, I like Cooley.  I want smart people in that building especially ones who are nice guys.    Cooley fits that bill IMO.

We will never agree on Jay, but we agree on this. :). Awesome.

The counter argument I gather is a combination of him being a clown as a player, close to Dan-Bruce and them going for a celebrity choice versus one of the big name personnel people that gets mentioned by national pundits. 

I don’t care about him as a player.  He was 25-30.  Nobody knows jack didly at that age.  He’s married (ok, I think for the third time) with 2 kids, and you can tell he’s sharp as a whip. 

I dint care about big names.  Get the right guy for the situation and go from there.

There are two great The Erst Wing scenes this reminds me of.  I’ll have to dig them up and post them. One is when Bartlett is talking to the congressman about campaign finance and says “We agree on nothing....”

Thr other is when Leo hires Charlie and says “you get the right man for the job and go from ther.  And I’m pretty sure I’m right about this...”

And if Dan and Bruce aren’t gping anywhere, then by God let’s give them some damn help and honesty.  Cooley has proven loyalty which means he can deliver hard messages and not be considered to be a threat.

And while I get the counter argument to Cooley as I laid out and actually agree with it in theory -- I throw it out the window for Cooley and maybe its the ego in me but I agree with him on so many macro positions about the team, strengths, weaknesses -- guys i like in the draft, etc -- that the dude always is singing to me -- so I'd dig it from that stand point.  

We’d have better TEs for sure. :)  He’s SO detailed oriented about technique, etc, we need some of that in the building.

Also he agrees that the run game scheme is crapola.  And if he could influence any change there, it’s worth 2-3 wins all by itself.

We talk here about how the FO thinks the team is one or two players away and is delusional as heck.  Cooley isn't delusional at all.  He would bring some needed reality to that FO.  He also gets that the fans despise Bruce-Dan.  We talk about how the FO is out of touch.  Cooley gets the point big time.  So i don't see him with a bigger role in that FO as a bad thing.

Bingo.

4 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Maybe that’s why Cooley was in the meetings. Because he’ll be HC.

The idea of anyone with a track record or buzz coming here is laughable. 

Cooley would never take the HC job.  He’s too smart to do that.

11 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

When?  Didn't see it, can you post it 

Never mind.  It was an old teeet put in a thread earlier today.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He’s been pretty open about that.  But just off the top of the head, I recall the Ram Hunting video, and him posting a pic of his small member online.

I remember those.  Not sure I'd refer to his career as a player here like that.  I don't think that at all. 

Listening to Russell right now, among his points:

A. Lafemina and Bruce hated each other.  The irony of that to me is I engaged Lafemina some about both Dan and Bruce.  He engaged me some back about Dan.  As for Bruce, he didn't say a word in response.

B.  He thinks they likely lose Callahan, might lose Tomsula and O'Connell.   O'Connell might be lured elsewhere.  He thinks he's a McVay type (not to the same degree) young and up an comer coveted around the league.  If I recall Finlay once said something similar. 

C.  He hears they might add an additional person to the FO

D.  The powers that be don't think Kyle is ready yet to be a GM but are giving him more responsibility

E.  Schaffer stays

F.  There is a small chance that Gibbs would be given some senior consultant role

They should get Ron Wolf’s kid as our GM and give him final say on personnel.  Have Smith do College Scouting Veep, Cooley Pro scouting Veep. 

Schaeffer Veep of Contracts and Cap

make Gibbs Team Pres of football ops

make proof Pres of pants, picnics, and stadium procurement

worst case make Cooley an asst coord of offense and/or personnel as his breakdowns seem to me he knows where to use people to their strength on all sides of the ball.  He can replace O’Connell. 

Bowles or Gregg as DC. 

Hire Oklahoma coach as our HC as we’ll be getting a new young qb this or next draft and he’s produced back to back Heisman winning QBs. 

Just spitballin’ here

3 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

They should get Ron Wolf’s kid as our GM and give him final say on personnel.

Agreed ... I read one article describe him as having Scot’s eye for talent without the drinking.  Would want to at least talk to him. I wonder if Bruce and Ron Wolf are friends.  They both have a Raiders background. 

This is the line that is catching fire on twitter and russell is going to town on right now on 106.7.  The "pally" line is funny.  Bur yeah even around the league, the idea that Dan and Bruce are best buds is a punch line. And that's not the first quote from a source around the league calling Bruce a joke.

NFL owners put the blame for the bleeding of goodwill squarely on the so-called management of Snyder and his pally team President Bruce Allen, who they regard as “literally, a joke.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/gifting-daniel-snyder-any-money-or-land-for-a-new-redskins-stadium-would-be-absolute-madness/2019/01/01/5337cd42-0de5-11e9-831f-3aa2c2be4cbd_story.html?utm_term=.e3c3d55b8396

No, no, no, bringing in Cooley is the typical terrible Snyder idea that continues to ruin the franchise, and that I THOUGHT fans were finally smart enough to see through.

As long as you ignore him cheating on his wives and other such scummy things hes done, hes a likable guy, but only appears to know something to average fans.  He literally has no experience, and no one in the NFL has had any interest in him even in a junior capacity as a scout etc.  You would have to be delusional to want us to bring Cooley into the front office, it clearly would be another Snyder rehash of hire a known Redskins name to appease stupid fans, while we continue the whole charade.

7 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Agreed ... I read one article describe him as having Scot’s eye for talent without the drinking.  Would want to at least talk to him. I wonder if Bruce and Ron Wolf are friends.  They both have a Raiders background. 

I wish I could help the team more but mostly have Scot’s talent for drinking. 🤪

though I contest I could do better than Bruce on working our review challenges. 

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

No, no, no, bringing in Cooley is the typical terrible Snyder idea that continues to ruin the franchise, and that I THOUGHT fans were finally smart enough to see through.

As long as you ignore him cheating on his wives and other such scummy things hes done, hes a likable guy, but only appears to know something to average fans.  He literally has no experience, and no one in the NFL has had any interest in him even in a junior capacity as a scout etc.  You would have to be delusional to want us to bring Cooley into the front office, it clearly would be another Snyder rehash of hire a known Redskins name to appease stupid fans, while we continue the whole charade.

Exactly right and it would continue the Redskins tradition of having 5 people do what 1 central general manager should be doing. 

8 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Exactly right and it would continue the Redskins tradition of having 5 people do what 1 central general manager should be doing. 

I think its two different points

A.  too many people making decisions

B.  too many evaluators in the building

A is correct IMO, B is incorrect IMO.  The Browns loaded up on FO people, not just Dorsey,

I get those who are skeptical about Cooley.  And I think we are wasting our time debating it because not one reporter is pushing that narrative that I can tell, just twitter speculation because Cooley allegedly was at a meeting with Dan.   I've just heard Cooley go against the grain and disagree with decisions a number of times made by the "experts" in the FO to be proven right for me to believe he's a no nothing amateur.  Plus apparently, he might be the only one around the team who actually doesn't think they are a player or two away from big time success.  But I do get the skepticism regardless considering his profile.

speaking of which Finlay just weighted in.

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Hiring Cooley is the equivalent of trotting out Joe Gibbs on the sidelines on Sunday. 

Judging by twitter reaction and this is from the FO critics who I follow -- give or take looks like 50% would see it that way, 50% would love it.    So it would be a rare polarizing move with fans divided on it. 

Archived