Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

And some here gobble it down like Tic Tacs under the ridiculous logic of "Well, she's right, Snyder IS a terrible owner!"

Or some here really don’t care an iota about Richmond politics.  The bottom line is that Richmond is the last city to get into bed with the Redskins and it’s been a failure.  Whether that’s the city, the team or shared fault is up for debate, but that’s not what the article is about.  It’s about the team not being in a position of strength to demand public funds for a stadium.

Hopefully one day Dan finally gets his act together.  I realize that’s a pipe dream.  But I’ll be interested to see if you’re as anxious to pounce on the details of any fluff pieces written about him.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Hopefully one day Dan finally gets his act together.  I realize that’s a pipe dream.  But I’ll be interested to see if you’re as anxious to pounce on the details of any fluff pieces written about him.

In Cali's defense, Sally Jenkins being a hack and Snyder being an asshole are mutually exclusive. Both can be right. 

I would assume sometimes it comes down to how you interview and how competently you lay out a plan for the direction of the franchise and how you best see fit to achieve it.

John Lynch is the GM of the 49ers.  He had zero personnel experience before being hired I believe.  He must have have a well thought out blue print to show the owner and other execs.

Not everyone needs to have 20 years of experience to do the job, I am sure in pro sports, while the GM has the final personnel word (for most franchises) it isn't like they don't employ a team of scouts and personnel evaluating talent so that by the time the GM makes the final call, he is well informed on the pros and cons of any specific move. 

This isn't to suggest I am yay or nay on Cooley specifically getting a job in that department with the franchise, just trying to say that sometimes the young up & coming talent can deliver.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

According to Al Ghaldi, Cooley meeting with Snyder after a game is common place and is normal.  

Listening to Sheehan's podcast now, he suggests its not happening.  As I said yesterday, no reporter was saying it was happening, it just became a twitter rumor that caught fire

Brewer on Sheehan's broadcast

A.  Says in all his years covering multiple sports teams, Redskins FO is the strangest he's seen

B.  Dan Snyder is reclusive, has no sense of his customers/fans.  Bruce's issue is obsession with power and is jealous of anyone who he sees as competition in the building

C. If they try to move him (Chris Russell made the same point that you can't trust Bruce in this capacity) to the business operation it won't work because if he's in that building he'd be pushing and will still have Dan's ear-- he goes someone new in that building that supposedly is there to fix Bruce's "mistakes" -- would trigger Bruce's anger and a power hungry moves where he'd try to get in that person's way.

D.  He thinks they might indeed move Bruce to the business operations and have someone new in as the team president with name recognition with the fans.   Internally they are more excited about the move than he thinks the public will be.  Sheehan mentioned he's heard the same.

E.  He's not sure that this new President will have the power to make a decision on Jay.  There is something holding up to the announcement because its tied to something they are trying to finalize. 

F.  Bruce knows how to sing to Dan in the right way -- he's a master of talking to Dan in his language and knows how to work him.  He's willing to spend time with Dan among other things.  He's got a master's degree in Dan Snyder management

G. Dan is a really strange dude.  He and Bruce have an awkward chemistry which Dan likes it.  Bruce is a social crutch for Dan

7 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

Have you listened to the interview?  Adam insinuates Bruce is smart because no matter what happens, he gets to keep his job.  Bruce is excellent at positioning himself with Snyder.  Bruce is also willing to take the public fall for Snyder mistakes (such as, I believe, multiple instances of the Cousins situation).  The fans blame Bruce, so the owner takes less Bullets. There’s a lot of value to the owner, I can see why he’d be hesitant to move on.  Snyder is huge on loyalty and Bruce uses that to his advantage by appearing extremely loyal. 

Adam is tight with Mike Shanahan (Co-wrote a book) who i believe thinks he was betrayed by Bruce to Snyder.  I don’t think Adam and Bruce are close at all. Adam just inferred he’d be very surprised if Bruce loses his job because of the hold he has on Snyder. 

First I despise Dan and Bruce so I am not trying to anyway protect them. But he didnt insinuate Bruce is smart....he down right said that he is thought of around the league as smart...several times. In a separate sentence he did say he was a survivor.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  Says in all his years covering multiple sports teams, Redskins FO is the strangest he's seen

B.  Dan Snyder is reclusive, has no sense of his customers/fans.  Bruce's issue is obsession with power and is jealous of anyone who he sees as competition in the building

C. If they try to move him (Chris Russell made the same point that you can't trust Bruce in this capacity) to the business operation it won't work because if he's in that building he'd be pushing and will still have Dan's ear-- he goes someone new in that building that supposedly is there to fix Bruce's "mistakes" -- would trigger Bruce's anger and a power hungry moves where he'd try to get in that person's way.

D.  He thinks they might indeed move Bruce to the business operations and have someone new in as the team president with name recognition with the fans.   Internally they are more excited about the move than he thinks the public will be.  Sheehan mentioned he's heard the same.

E.  He's not sure that this new President will have the power to make a decision on Jay.  There is something holding up to the announcement because its tied to something they are trying to finalize. 

F.  Bruce knows how to sing to Dan in the right way -- he's a master of talking to Dan in his language and knows how to work him.  He's willing to spend time with Dan among other things.  He's got a master's degree in Dan Snyder management

G. Dan is a really strange dude.  He and Bruce have an awkward chemistry which Dan likes it.  Bruce is a social crutch for Dan

Fire Bruce, hire a new GM, let him decide on Jay.  Its so simple. Yet not, apparently.

6 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Fire Bruce, hire a new GM, let him decide on Jay.  Its so simple. Yet not, apparently.

Just listened to the whole thing.   Sounds like a name will be named as new Team President of Football Operations, a guy that the press likes and they think the fans like (that dude isn't Cooley though).  Bruce moved to business operations.  Bruce will retain his power but in a sneaky way just like when Scot was here.  So it sounds like a Scot the sequel is coming.  Some dude that the media-fans like but won't have ultimate power.  Sounds like the dude is more about a sexy name than someone with a sexy resume as what happened with Scot.

This presumes Jerry is right.  Sheehan mentioned he's heard rumblings too.  Russell yesterday mentioned rumblings as well.   So I think they are likely cooking something.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to the whole thing.   Sounds like a name will be named as new Team President of Football Operations, a guy that the press likes and they think the fans like (that dude isn't Cooley though).  Bruce moved to business operations.  Bruce will retain his power but in a sneaky way just like when Scot was here.  So it sounds like a Scot the sequel is coming.  Some dude that the media-fans like but won't have ultimate power.  Sounds like the dude is more about a sexy name than someone with a sexy resume as what happened with Scot.

This presumes Jerry is right.  Sheehan mentioned he's heard rumblings too.  Russell yesterday mentioned rumblings as well.   So I think they are likely cooking something.

Why does this scare me?

It's about winning and losing, but it's also about, well, everything. I legit enjoy going to Redskin games when I get down there. I love walking into the stadium and seeing all the Skins fans in there. But parking is a disaster. Getting around is a disaster. Concessions are way overpriced. 

Their treatment of the fanbase is deplorable. They allow their players to take shots at the fans, but cut a player for talking about the coaching staff. It's just bumbling. All of it. They make decisions without coaching input... Just not a good situation. And that's just scratching the surface of everything.

The above is another part of the culture issue. Get a name in the FO as President, "move" Bruce... and the fans aren't smart enough to figure out he's still involved in everything! Reminds me of the bad guy in Austin Powers who's name somehow is escaping me right now. Pinky to the edge of the lips.

I'm spent. This franchise is exhausting. But it's not an angry exhausting. It's a deep sigh and move on exhausting.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm done with sexy. It seems they will never learn. Of course why would the owner and his bestie fire themselves. Never going to happen boys.  The King never steps down.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Image result for bruce allen douchebag

I have to admit my main fascination is it has the feel of a stupid kind of move baked in nostalgia so what's their new version of it?   Sort of like when they reshuffled they desks to give Doug a new title.  I recall Bruce's wicked grin during that Doug press conference where he had the look of suckers -- top that!  Even though to most of the fan base it was yawn at best.  This feels like another round of this.

Trying to connect the dots.  Something that Brewer thinks they are higher about internally than the fans will be yet they think the fans will see it their way.  And they are waiting for some entanglement to unfold to pull the trigger.

FO nostalgia ties?  Another promotion for Doug?  Martin Mayhew?  Casserly?  Gibbs in some consulting role in tandem with someone else?  D. Hall?

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Dollars-to-donuts it's Eric Schaffer.

That's what I'd normally think based on previous reports.  But Brewer describing this dude as a name -- doesn't feel like Schaffer.  But enough have said if Bruce remains in the building don't count on him not being the de facto guy -- he'd remain Dan's BFF and would have his ear.  But looks like they have a PR BS stunt being cooked up if Brewer is right.   I wouldn't take it that seriously if Sheehan didn't echo it some and Russell didn't hint at something brewing too.   But will see.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Is his source the es forums? All of his “information” conveniently fits with the es message board talking points/speculation. 

Just sayin it sure is.... convenient

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yeah, that will ultimately be the end result. They are just putting lipstick on pigs, while rearranging deck chairs on the titanic

Maybe they will surprise me but the vibe I get from Brewers comments is it will be a same old type of move. 

Among other things, they seem to think their fan base has the same low IQ that they have in that FO and fall for the same old stupid tricks.   The more I listen to people who talk about the FO the more I can't get over the Dan-Bruce bromance. 

I can't believe that Dan is that dense that at this point he doesn't sense that its the easiest and cheapest PR hit he can get but yet he'd rather work on fooling fans to keep his best bud close by.  Comes off like a teenager told by their parents they can't date someone anymore because they are trouble but the teenager can't help themself and will sneak out to see them once their parents are asleep, etc.

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Is his source the es forums? All of his “information” conveniently fits with the es message board talking points/speculation. 

Just sayin it sure is.... convenient

He's not really breaking new ground though.  Almost all the beat guys are saying Bruce-Dan joined at the hip -- Bruce knows how to play Dan, etc.   

The one thing interesting to me is him saying Bruce will be moved to business operations, and a new president is likely coming.   that's a shift for him because the last time I heard him on the radio he didn't think anything would change.  That to me is the nugget here.

I heard Mike Jones today talk about this too -- but same thing, Bruce-Dan bromance.  They hate the media.  They think the 6-3 start is the be all and end all, etc.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe they will surprise me but the vibe I get from Brewers comments is it will be a same old type of move. 

Among other things, they seem to think their fan base has the same low IQ that they have in that FO and fall for the same old stupid tricks.   The more I listen to people who talk about the FO the more I can't get over the Dan-Bruce bromance. 

I can't believe that Dan is that dense that at this point he doesn't sense that its the easiest and cheapest PR hit he can get but yet he'd rather work on fooling fans to keep his best bud close by.  Comes off like a teenager told by their parents they can't date someone anymore because they are trouble but the teenager can't help themself and will sneak out to see them once their parents are asleep, etc.

You can't? For the last 20 years, it's been the same move, over and over again. Scotch tape the damn, paint over it, hope no one notices.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You can't? For the last 20 years, it's been the same move, over and over again. Scotch tape the damn, paint over it, hope no one notices.

I said I can't believe he doesn't see removing Bruce is the PR hit he needs -- meaning I think he does know it but he can't let Bruce go, regardless.  Just like it took him forever to let Vinny go.   I am stuck on my theory that Dan's social life and the FO go hand in hand.

2 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Let's also not forget Chick Hernandez's tweet from a few days ago saying we'd have "a familiar face in the building very soon", according to one of his sources. My money's on Shar Pourdanesh, personally. 

Anthony Mix. He's tall.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Anthony Mix. He's tall.

3 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Let's also not forget Chick Hernandez's tweet from a few days ago saying we'd have "a familiar face in the building very soon", according to one of his sources. My money's on Shar Pourdanesh, personally. 

Colt Brennan, the new GM?  I recall he was tight was Cooley and Cooley was in on the meeting with Dan.  He's a legend with some fans still.  Hawaii connection might lead us to Tua in 2020.

Archived