Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Feeling the pressure to make another move at GM.... I cannot shake the notion that 'Duce'  ® is enamored with the next John Lynch - a former tampa guy with no GM experience.  And Duce is probably kicking themselves from not luring in Lynch... so it may be time to play catchup.  Maybe Warren Sapp, Brad Johnson or Mike Alstott will be my long shots on a pressure hire. No experience is exactly the type of guy they want.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think they got a cynical fan base just ready to pounce on them so if Bruce doubles down on another Tampa connection -- it backfires with fans IMO.  And maybe they don't care what fans think but eventually it will come to a head if people continue now showing up to games, watching the games on TV and even owners of other teams notice (according to the WP) and are concerned.

That's true.  The other Gruden just hired an media guy in effect.  Raiders go NFL Network -- Redskins go ESPN.

But that's just it; when it comes down to it, Bruce's opinion is the only one that matters, as far as Snyder AND Allen are concerned.

Both of them believe the fan base is naïve enough not to see through the hiring of a " GM " { gopher more appropriately } who will be hush-hush enough to endure Bruce's oversight yet give the image of a true GM to the fan base. Its all about the control, and Allen needs that to feed his superiority complex.

If he has to, he will wait it out, until any and all of the quality GMs are scooped up, THEN  make his 'big splash' and parade him around like Miss Universe.  But it may not even be a GM he is looking for; it could simply be a consultant who he would crown as a new 'type' of leadership, to not only change things but to be innovative, and, to please Snyder, be a lower cost mechanism.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tonight out of the blue, he goes how would you feel if the Redskins hired an advisory committee of Redskins legends and recent players:  S. Moss, Portis, J. Jacoby, etc to weigh in on personnel but with Bruce staying where he is at.   How would that feel to you.  Seems bizarre bringing it up like that considering it was obvious Russell wasn't in love with the idea. 

Oooh. Wow, sorta like “NFL Drafts Got Talent”... i wonder if season ticket holders can call in a vote!? Exciting times y’all.

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

An advisory committee... with Moss... and Portis?

its not even fun to read this **** any more.

This would be Snyder to a T. Surround himseld with more jocks, more of his idola from childhood.

He is an under-developed child.

FWIW - nothing concrete...

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/12/16/18143099/could-the-redskins-entice-louis-riddick-to-return-to-d-c-as-general-manager

Louis Riddick cut his teeth as an executive for the Redskins in 2001 after his playing career was over. He served as a pro scout from 2001-2004 before being promoted to Director of Pro Personnel, a position he held with the team from 2005-2007.

Riddick then returned back home as an executive for the Philadelphia Eagles in various roles from 2008-2013. He currently serves as an on-air personality for ESPN, where he uses his expertise to opine on the NFL and NFL Draft prospects.

I had the chance to talk with a friend this week, and he told me how glad the network was to have Riddick, but went into a bit more detail on his football acumen and how solid he was on some early season predictions...that have come true.

There was some talk about him returning to the NFL again as a general manager, and I got the impression from my source that he would be open to doing so if the right opportunity presented itself.

Everyone who even remotely follows the Redskins knows that the team is in dire need of a true general manager with an eye for talent. Riddick certainly qualifies in that aspect, and his familiarity with the team may be something that could lead him back.

The question is: is this the right opportunity for him?

Most importantly, is getting rid of Bruce Allen. This HAS to be atop the list of things to do when the season ends (or sooner). If Allen is finally relieved of his duties, there are some good internal candidates to take over as team president. Doug Williams, Brian Lafemina and Eric Schaffer would be three names who could be considered as team president.

With Riddick taking over GM duties, a promotion could be in store for Kyle Smith or Alex Santos to move up the ladder as well.

This is just so stupid.  It's not that hard.  Get rid of Bruce.  Don't make it a gameshow, don't bring in old people, don't try to out-think what real franchises do.  Get a goddamn GM and Bruce is not allowed within 200 parsecs of the goddamn building.

These other ideas that are being floated are so ****ing dumb and are only making the situation worse just by being out there.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Louis Riddick cut his teeth as an executive for the Redskins in 2001 after his playing career was over. He served as a pro scout from 2001-2004 before being promoted to Director of Pro Personnel, a position he held with the team from 2005-2007.

Riddick then returned back home as an executive for the Philadelphia Eagles in various roles from 2008-2013. He currently serves as an on-air personality for ESPN, where he uses his expertise to opine on the NFL and NFL Draft prospects.

This is my problem with Louis Reddick: He was part of two of the biggest front office failures in recent memory--the Cerrato led Redskins, and the Dream Team Eagles. Now, it's not all him, but those are some black marks on his record.

28 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is my problem with Louis Reddick: He was part of two of the biggest front office failures in recent memory--the Cerrato led Redskins, and the Dream Team Eagles. Now, it's not all him, but those are some black marks on his record.

DING DING DING!

2 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Daydream: Dan fires Bruce and hires Tony Dungy. 

Add: Despite the Tampa connection, I like Dungy. Squeaky clean, "do the right thing" kind of guy who would immediately change the culture.

I think that we can safely file this one in the “Daydream” folder. 

I seem to remember that Dungy is critical of our mascot and pretty much despises everything that this franchise stands for. 

14 hours ago, Peregrine said:

I think things have finally gotten to the point, that even the name of Joe Gibbs wont get fans back inside the building, or caring again, or trusting the team, or excited about them, until Bruce Allen is gone.

I never thought there would be a day that the Gibbs name wouldnt be the magical cure all for fans, but I think we have hit it, and Im not sure Snyder realizes that.

EDIT:  Just a sudden thought.  What if its actually that Gibbs is buying a minority ownership stake from Snyder?  I could see them trying to pull that.  Gibbs gets 5-10% of the team, Snyder gets to put Gibbs face as part of the "Ownership Duo" of Gibbs and Snyder, and appease the fans.

That or just have Gibbs be Team Pres of Football Ops and re-assign Bruce to just win off the field.

I also think Snyder might use Gibbs to get what he failed to do previously (due to money I heard once), hired Bobby Beathard.  

I could see  Dan thinking those names would get him thru the next few crappy years.  

4 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

That or just have Gibbs be Team Pres of Football Ops and re-assign Bruce to just win off the field.

I also think Snyder might use Gibbs to get what he failed to do previously (due to money I heard once), hired Bobby Beathard.  

I could see  Dan thinking those names would get him thru the next few crappy years.  

Bobby Beathard has Alzheimer’s. 

Did you guys watch the Joe Gibbs Football Life that aired this past year?

Because if you did, you would know that he wants to have nothing to do with the NFL at this point in his life.  He is all about Nascar and family right now, with family taking more precedent.  Working in the NFL would take way too much time away from him being with his family and he knows that his time left on earth is limited and wants to spend as much as he can with his family.

Also, he's been out of football for what, a decade now?  Why does anyone think he would be any good in a FO role anyways?

17 minutes ago, Morrissey1972 said:

I think that we can safely file this one in the “Daydream” folder. 

I seem to remember that Dungy is critical of our mascot and pretty much despises everything that this franchise stands for. 

Yep...spot on.  I doubt Tony Dungy would even take Dan or Bruce's call.

4 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Yeah, and it's a shame. Tony Dungy would be good for this organization.

He would certainly help instantly from a PR standpoint.  A cleaner more organized look with a respected name.  Credibility goes a long way.

Now, I always thought Dungy was a bit overrated as a coach and maybe a little too preachy for my taste and I have no measure of his evaluation of football talent.  He was a player and a Super Bowl winning coach but he won that Super Bowl with what equates to a coach at QB in Peyton Manning.  He could excel at the job but maybe someone with more insight can tell me his qualifications for GM.

4 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

He would certainly help instantly from a PR standpoint.  A cleaner more organized look with a respected name.  Credibility goes a long way.

Now, I always thought Dungy was a bit overrated as a coach and maybe a little too preachy for my taste and I have no measure of his evaluation of football talent.  He was a player and a Super Bowl winning coach but he won that Super Bowl with what equates to a coach at QB in Peyton Manning.  He could excel at the job but maybe someone with more insight can tell me his qualifications for GM.

My thoughts exactly. If for nothing else he would give the organization a much-needed shot in the arm PR wise. 

32 minutes ago, Morrissey1972 said:

We don't have a "mascot." We have a logo. Just sayin'. 

28 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Bobby Beathard has Alzheimer’s. 

Still an improvement. 

Archived