Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

This is a killer paragraph some of which is posted above but here's all of it.  The only thing I like about all the stuff that's pouring on down is the intensity is insane.  It's the media taking it up a notch but not just local -- national.  The fans bombarding their social media team, calling Redskins Park.  The kicker is declining TV ratings, stadium no shows.

Some have suggested Dan's hit lows like this before.  But I don't think so, not even close.  Because this time he's being hit from every direction possible.  Does that wake him up?  You got me.  I doubt it.  but its the only shot I think we got.  Or he's so miserable that he sells or gets pressure to sell. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/gifting-daniel-snyder-any-money-or-land-for-a-new-redskins-stadium-would-be-absolute-madness/2019/01/01/5337cd42-0de5-11e9-831f-3aa2c2be4cbd_story.html?__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&utm_term=.a8ded42cee41

Even his fellow owner-billionaires in the NFL are embarrassed and unhappy about the yawning decks of unfilled seats, and the black mood of the few influentials who still go to Redskins games, a league executive told me. If there is one thing that NFL owners don’t like, it’s “apathy in a major market,” the longtime exec said. They are especially bothered by apathy in the nation’s capital, where they rely on strong interest and relationships to protect their business practices. “Washington D.C. is Washington D.C.,” the executive said, “and there is a trickledown effect.” NFL owners put the blame for the bleeding of goodwill squarely on the so-called management of Snyder and his pally team President Bruce Allen, who they regard as “literally, a joke.”

and this one:

Snyder should be left alone to feel the effects of his own mismanagement, without relief. He seeded distrust with poor business practices and made fans hostages to his personal whims, until he has fatally weakened interest in the team. He should have to live with FedEx Field until it is totally empty. Maybe then he will finally get bored, and do everyone a mercy, and sell.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sadly no.  

The excuse for next years 5-11 is ALREADY written. No QB.  AND. An $18 million dollar hit to the cap because of Alex’s contract.  So they couldn’t go out and get players even if they wanted to.  

Alex won’t be ready.  Colt will get hurt.  They will try and suite up with essentially the same crowd, I bet they resign Crowder, keep Reed, probably trust Luavao/Ari/the other guys on the roster at LG, CT, etc. Mason will be back.  They won’t upgrade at WR, trusting Doctson to show something, and Richardson to stay healthy. 

None me of it will work but it will be blamed on injuries, no QB, and lack of funds.  This will bring everybody back again. 

The story Bruce is selling is they are close.  Caveat; WITH ALEX SMITH.  

So so he won’t go blow up or upgrade the roster, or it will appear as though they are not close.  

All possible to me.  But here's the one main thing that confuses me about present day Dan.

A. Old school Dan would do anything for a PR hit and was paranoid about public perception and would do anything to generate buzz

B. New school Dan -- the opposite extreme and will turn a blind eye to declining fan attendance, TV ratings, fan outcry?

Talk about a tale of two cities -- one extreme to another?  If so will PR version of Dan awaken?  If they go 5-11 can you imagine how the TV ratings, stands and fan outcry will be then.  Dan really gone bonkers the other way and after having a few beers with Bruce he is convinced to keep doubling down and eventually it will turn around.

I am not saying I know or even have a strong gut feeling one way or another.   The only consistent narrative that makes sense to me from one era to another is Dan is like a 13 year old school boy desperate for a best friend and had one in Vinny and was replaced with Bruce and can't go through the pain of like being a kid moving to a new school and having to make a new best friend.   And is willing to sacrifice whatever it takes to hang with his drinking buddy and they can both tell each other how great they are.  Sort of the Dan and Bruce against the World show.

It's like a 180 switch from one version of being dysfunctional to the opposite extreme version of it.

I get the sense that our team record is all that Dan and Bruce thinks matters to us. Winning cures all is their business plan.  But clearly they set a low bar as 8-8 ish is good enough for them.  Of course, the problem is much deeper than our consistently mediocre record, but I think its obvious they are hoping for wins and hanging on with no real backup plan.  Alex Smith was THE perfect QB for them. Turnkey give a chance to be 8-8 QB. 

Dan must be so pissed that the curtain was pulled back on our sham wait list sell out decades long charade; IMO that reason alone is why the new guys got axed. I feel like the no halftime show reflects him having a little temper tantrum about the whole thing.

Time to promote Wyllie and stop ****ing around.  We need to promote the biggest failures to make Bruce look better.  Now that's a plan.

17 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Sooooo a whole bunch of nothing?

As the guy said all open to interpretation.  Interesting to me 4 points

A.  Dan knows there is a problem.  That's good to know.  Seems obvious.  But he can be dense so at least he's not that dense.  8 hours means they likely covered a lot of ground and probably some scenarios otherwise why would it take that long?

B.  Cooley part of the decision making? wow.  Didn't know that.  I know from listening to Cooley he is well aware the #1 thing fans want is Bruce gone yet Bruce is his friend.  I know he thinks another issue with the fans in his mind is the lack of a star player to rally around.

C.  Bruce being heavy in the mix clearly means he's here to stay.  Shows how warped the situation is.  Bruce figure out how to fix this -- when Bruce likely knows the way to fix it is by him resigning.  So the strategy is likely coming from Bruce as to how to regroup with fans.

D.  Jay not involved.  Jay in his press conference mentioned more than once "if he's here".  Jay is an honest dude and not a BSer. Good chance Jay knows about the meeting (he's pals with Cooley) and wonders about his future.

Just wild guesses from me based on all of this:

A.  They might be putting out feelers for a big name HC and if they hear that guy isn't interested they run with Jay. I think this is unlikely but possible.  In other words, they wouldn't fire Jay unless they already had a tacit OK for a big name HC similar to what they did with Shanny-Zorn. 

B.  Thinking a January trade like last year?  That would be old school Dan and would fit Cooley's thinking about the fans.  Antonio Brown or some big name?  Not sure how they'd handle it cap wise.  Create some buzz and distract the fans.

C.  Similar to my point A but this time about a D coordinator. Like TK mentioned Gregg Williams.  Put out feelers before you pursue them.  I think this is the most likely scenario of the three.

4 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Ouch...

ouch fathers day GIF

Love to hear that other owners and executive types are giving them a hard time.  The thing even though they compete with the rest of the league, they share so much revenue that if the Redskins become a loser in that regards especially as a TV ratings draw -- it hurts all of their bottom line.   The previous WP article said the owners respect albeit don't like Jerry Jones and sounds like their don't like or respect Dan.

@Skinsinparadise I use a different analogy.  Dan is like a guy who’s dating a girl who he’s convinced is “the one.” He cant see that he’s totally been hoodwinked.  He might not be extremely happy but he has no idea how to end it and doesn’t know who else would date him, and is terrified of asking.  So he just sits pat and does nothing living in misery.  

The question is when will Dan figure out the girl he’s put up on a pedestal is actually rosanne, and he needs to move on.

Personally I think it’s going to take a complete catastrophe which can’t be explained away.  Because Dan WANTS it to be explained away.

So as long as Bruce can come up with reasons which are essentially “bad luck, we’re doing fine, just wait” Dan will keep going.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As the guy said all open to interpretation.  Interesting to me 4 points

A.  Dan knows there is a problem.  That's good to know.  Seems obvious.  But he can be dense so at least he's not that dense.  8 hours means they likely covered a lot of ground and probably some scenarios otherwise why would it take that long?

B.  Cooley part of the decision making? wow.  Didn't know that.  I know from listening to Cooley he is well aware the #1 thing fans want is Bruce gone yet Bruce is his friend.  I know he thinks another issue with the fans in his mind is the lack of a star player to rally around.

C.  Bruce being heavy in the mix clearly means he's here to stay.  Shows how warped the situation is.  Bruce figure out how to fix this -- when Bruce likely knows the way to fix it is by him resigning.  So the strategy is likely coming from Bruce as to how to regroup with fans.

D.  Jay not involved.  Jay in his press conference mentioned more than once "if he's here".  Jay is an honest dude and not a BSer. Good chance Jay knows about the meeting (he's pals with Cooley) and wonders about his future.

Just wild guesses from me based on all of this:

A.  They might be putting out feelers for a big name HC and if they hear that guy isn't interested they run with Jay. I think this is unlikely but possible.  In other words, they wouldn't fire Jay unless they already had a tacit OK for a big name HC similar to what they did with Shanny-Zorn. 

B.  Thinking a January trade like last year?  That would be old school Dan and would fit Cooley's thinking about the fans.  Antonio Brown or some big name?  Not sure how they'd handle it cap wise.  Create some buzz and distract the fans.

C.  Similar to my point A but this time about a D coordinator. Like TK mentioned Gregg Williams.  Put out feelers before you pursue them.  I think this is the most likely scenario of the three.

At this time, IT SEEMS and things can change, that:

1)  Bruce stays with team but only in business capacity (we know how this works though and he probably is still involved on the FB ops side too)

2)  Schaffer is named VP of FB ops and continues to handle the salary cap issues too.

3)  Kyle Smith is named GM and hopefully is allowed to hire his own HC.  Williams stays on in some capacity in a new title.

4)  New HC and coaches.

Again, things could stay the same filthy way they are or some changes could take place smaller, stated or bigger.  Who knows!!!

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise I use a different analogy.  Dan is like a guy who’s dating a girl who he’s convinced is “the one.” He cant see that he’s totally been hoodwinked.  He might not be extremely happy but he has no idea how to end it and doesn’t know who else would date him, and is terrified of asking.  So he just sits pat and does nothing living in misery.  

The question is when will Dan figure out the girl he’s put up on a pedestal is actually rosanne, and he needs to move on.

Personally I think it’s going to take a complete catastrophe which can’t be explained away.  Because Dan WANTS it to be explained away.

So as long as Bruce can come up with reasons which are essentially “bad luck, we’re doing fine, just wait” Dan will keep going.

With fans not attending last year and more so this year in 2019, Dan is going to find himself in financial trouble.  That's he stays the course with Bruce and doesn't show love to the fans who support and cause his business, the Washington Redskins to thrive or dry up.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting on twitter they are taking those clues from Dan's alleged 8 hours meeting that Cooley will be named GM. 

Personally I doubt that.  

Snyder would be nuts if he did, SIP.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting on twitter they are taking those clues from Dan's alleged 8 hours meeting that Cooley will be named GM. 

Personally I doubt that.  

I doubt that.  That said, I honestly wouldn’t hate it.  Cooley is friendly with every there, and has more football knowledge/acumen than any of them.

It means goodbye to Kyle Smith.  But it would all in the family and would be an interesting play for fans. 

Chris still has juice as a fan favorite.

If it even provides Bruce better information than he’s getting now, I’d be for it.

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

Gifting Daniel Snyder any money or land for a new Redskins stadium would be absolute madness

" Even his fellow owner-billionaires in the NFL are embarrassed and unhappy about the yawning decks of unfilled seats, and the black mood of the few influentials who still go to Redskins games, a league executive told me.

Richmond had to rob a school fund of more than $5 million to help pay for it, and is facing $750,000 per year in ongoing debt payments. It’s a total albatross. When the Richmond city council expressed distress and unwillingness to extend the deal last summer, Allen told the Washington Times, “I’m not going to worry about that right now. I’m just hoping for some sunshine to dry out our fields. " 🤢

I've been saying for 3 years Redskins should get out of the Richmond VA Training Camp deal.  It's a circus, there are tons of distractions, and the bad press for financially strapping the city does no one any good.  I think the Skins should go to the Warm Springs VA & Greenbrier Hotel, which is out of the way and focus on chemistry and team building.  Hell, I'd be open to going back to Carlisle or Frostburg at this point.  Anything to get out of the limelight and focus on football fundamentals.   

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love to hear that other owners and executive types are giving them a hard time.  The thing even though they compete with the rest of the league, they share so much revenue that if the Redskins become a loser in that regards especially as a TV ratings draw -- it hurts all of their bottom line.   The previous WP article said the owners respect albeit don't like Jerry Jones and sounds like their don't like or respect Dan.

Nope they don't seem to like him or respect him.

And I'm starting to think that if Dan doesn't correct the ship THIS offseason, then I think that it'll only get worse next year.

Jay is obviously fed up with the background here. If he doesn't get the players he wants from Bruce this offseason, it wouldn't surprised me to see him throw the towel around Week 2/3 so he can get fired in week 4.

Fans are already fed up, so with Jay not in front to protect them, attendance in the stadium will be even worse, and will probably look like what is was last sunday. with 70% of visitors at least in FedEx Field...

So things are pointing out that things will get ugly real soon next year.

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Snyder would be nuts if he did, SIP.  

It would be one of the tougher moves to gauge from a fan stand point.  Among Dan-Bruce critics some see it like this.

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I doubt that.  That said, I honestly wouldn’t hate it.  Cooley is friendly with every there, and has more football knowledge/acumen than any of them.

It means goodbye to Kyle Smith.  But it would all in the family and would be an interesting play for fans. 

Chris still has juice as a fan favorite.

If it even provides Bruce better information than he’s getting now, I’d be for it.

And some see it this way.  I would not want if they lost Kyle Smith.  But I like Cooley as an evaluator, like him a lot on that regard.  Almost eerie how much he gets right.  Id be way more jazzed with him in the building versus Doug who is seen as a nice guy but rep wise isnt regarded as a top flight evaluator.   Cooley like Doug seems to be a good dude, too.  But doubting it goes down.

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Cooley May be a boon to fans but that would be **** on nationally.

i can see the headlines now “Skins hire radio host as GM”

I might be all alone on this and I might be crazy.  But honestly I wouldn’t care. Cooley knows his stuff, and he’s been outstanding predicting which players will be successful and which don’t.

Didnt the 49ers hire John Lunch who was just doing Tv?

Again, I doubt it happens.  But if it did, Snyder and Allen get a guy they trust who has played and who knows ball.

There are a lot of worse choices FOR THIS SITUATION.

Archived