Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

46 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, basically, Dan DID exactly what we wanted him to.  The issue is that he somehow chose a guy WORSE to give that authority to than Vinny.  Which is, quite frankly, shocking. 

And now Dan doesn't know exactly what to do.  He's got Bruce and Jay in his ear saying, "we were 6-3, then Alex and Colt got hurt.  What do you want from us?"  And while there is validity to that claim, if you dig a little deeper you can turn up some flaws in the approach.

He doesn't want to fire Bruce. Bruce makes Dan comfortable.  He didn't want to fire Vinny.  Vinny made Dan comfortable. 

Agree with most of this.  And again on this front all we can do is guess based on what some people learn via their connections to the FO.  I trust some of those sources more than others based on getting things right in the past related to the FO.

I listened to Finlay's podcast last night, Russell talk about this on Saturday, Sheehan and Finlay talk about it on Sheehan's podcast and just watched Facebook live with Finlay.  Piling all of that together with other things said in the past.

A. Snyder is a billionaire insulated to a degree from fan feedback.  Ditto other people in that FO but to a lesser extent than Dan.  Some in the FO are aware there, some aren't so aware.   Sheehan goes they show up publicly (Dan-Bruce) in recent years to charity events where everyone kisses their butt and that's the reality they know. 

Him and Finlay talked back and forth about how Dan-Bruce think the people who don't like the FO and the way things are run are straggler discontented fans and they tell themselves its the media who skewers everything in a negative light.   Both Finlay and Sheehan said they weren't surprised that Dan and company are shocked by the fan outcry per what was reported in that WP story -- the tweets to their social media people, the calls at Redskins Park caught them by surprise.  To pat myself on the back a little, I did say not long ago you likely have to take the outcry to Dan directly for him to notice -- because what Finlay and Sheehan said today others have said, too. 

B.  Bruce doesn't want to leave unless its on a high.  Finlay thinks this bad season hurts the cause of him leaving because he wouldn't be leaving on a high.  Russell thinks Dan cares about Bruce's rep and wants him to leave on a high too -- but Russell is the only one that I can recall signing that tune.

C.  Snyder is still as dense as ever and a jerk and still doesn't get the bottom line but he doesn't interfere like he used to interfere.  He still sets the bad culture where you got warring factions in the FO run by fear and he's impatient as heck but he's not telling Bruce what FA to sign or who to draft.  With an occasional exception.  So in his mind he thinks, damned if I do, damned if I don't.  When he tells people he's changed, this is what he is speaking of which is he's not calling Bruce the way he did with Vinny telling him lets go get Lance Briggs. 

D.  I recall some said that Vinny was good at selling Dan that prosperity is around the corner and the team is close.  Bruce is selling the same point hard to Dan.  Don't break up the band when they are so close to the promised land.  Yeah Jay is selling that point clearly too.  

To me, I could understand that BA and JG could sell they are close.  The team has looked good before injuries took over.

However, most here know we aren't so close that we mortgage the future just to have a single decent season or polishing this turd another year.  These guys will want to be in win now mode and not do the right thing.  Same as last year with Alex Smith and the fans continue to turn away because we know they lack a long term vision.

More of the same and I'm sure I'll get more distant.  To be completely honest I'd probably spend more time talking to you guys and just reading what others say about the games I don't want to watch anymore.  I am not capable of "switching/dropping" fandom, but I think I might have reached my done watching side for a bit.  I really think this team is bad for my health.

Edit: I'll add as a lifetime O's/skins fan, despite the O's recent failures, it seems that they get it (signs at least pointing in a better direction).  The fan excitement after one of the worst seasons ever is soooooo much better there just because of a definitive direction.  Why is this so hard for some people (Peter Angelos or Dan Synder) to see? How can you be so disconnected.  Maybe we all just see what we want to.

48 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

To me, I could understand that BA and JG could sell they are close.  The team has looked good before injuries took over.

I dont even think that we can say it looked good before injuries.  I mean as long as Snyder didnt watch any of the games maybe they could convince him it looked good.  

I mean we were crushed in 3 of our first 8 games by the Colts and Saints and Falcons in games that werent even close.  We lucked out with a missed FG against the Cowboys, and beat the Bucs in one of the most bizarre games in NFL history, where we got beat up and down the field but they choked inside the 20 every drive.  At that point we should have been 4-5 against an easy schedule.

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

This narrative that the team was somehow good before injuries is silly.  The strategy was, “Score first and hold on for dear life”.

I don’t think I’d ever seen a more boring team with so little comeback-ability.

If you’re looking for those that were convinced the team was legit good before injuries, head over to the Kirk thread in ATN. 🤣

My best guess at what happens:

1. Jay handles all the end of year media requests.  After much blowback, Doug is made available the next day.
  2. Flash mob protesting at Redskins Park gets tear gassed.
  3. We lose all the young talent in scouting to much greener pastures.  Throwing money and meaningless promos, fails to retain them. In the 11th hour we try to pretend to fire them, after they have already resigned. A P/R disaster, including when Doug admits he had no idea any of it was happening.
  4. Doug "Willams" gets a paper promotion implying more GM duties, to fill the void. A meaningless promo. Executive
  5. Tom Wyllie gets a promotion to include all the duties of everyone we just fired. A meaningless promo.
  6. Manusky gets promoted to assistant coach - defense. A meaningless promo.
  7. A member of the Bruce Allen family gets hired to be groomed to be his eventual replacement. Likely an old Tampa connection. Our big splash for the off season.
  8. Strength Coach Gruden gets a promotion of some sort.  Assistant Special Teams something.
  9. We reach on a no name safety at 15 since we need to replace Swearinger
  10. We won't draft a QB instead start a QB Senior Center in OTAs and plan to roll with Alex Smith. 
  11. Bruce Allen becomes a partial owner, as minority owners dump their shares.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

For the love of God, just draft a QB high and give me something to look forward to with this team besides Guice. 

Well after Mayock and Kiper slobber over a bunch of 3rd round talent QBs this year and push them in to the first round we could get Greer with our first rounder if we give up a second to move higher.

19 minutes ago, Springfield said:

This narrative that the team was somehow good before injuries is silly.  The strategy was, “Score first and hold on for dear life”.

I don’t think I’d ever seen a more boring team with so little comeback-ability.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If you’re looking for those that were convinced the team was legit good before injuries, head over to the Kirk thread in ATN. 🤣

My favorite was the “any rookie quarterback could do what Alex Smith is doing”.  That was good stuff!  

Of course, the team was 6-4 with him starting and 1-5 after he got hurt.  I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.

I understood why they kept Jay last season.  Injuries or not, it's time for a change.  

I can't believe any fan or person in the organization could be so tone deaf to ignore such obvious conclusions.  The idea of sitting through another year of the same old stuff is nauseating at best.  Let's hope Dan comes to his senses, if he has any.

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

My favorite was the “any rookie quarterback could do what Alex Smith is doing”.  That was good stuff!  

Of course, the team was 6-4 with him starting and 1-5 after he got hurt.  I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.

They are correct we got blown out three times with him at qb the games we won were nail biters the Dallas game we lose without the defensive td Alex smith just look at the scores the only games we handidly won were maybe one because of him the rest AP had a field day...any rookie qb can do that of course if they are selected by any competent front office

14 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Well after Mayock and Kiper slobber over a bunch of 3rd round talent QBs this year and push them in to the first round we could get Greer with our first rounder if we give up a second to move higher.

Mayock is gone, no need to give up anything ;) I'll miss his accent

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, basically, Dan DID exactly what we wanted him to.  The issue is that he somehow chose a guy WORSE to give that authority to than Vinny.  Which is, quite frankly, shocking. 

O would still say Vinny is/was worse as Allen is a better judge of player talent. Other than that yeah pretty damn bad.

16 minutes ago, Bacon said:

For the love of God, just draft a QB high and give me something to look forward to with this team besides Guice. 

For the love of God and the Redskins franchise don't do that in 2019.

11 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

We were 6-3 when we lost both our both our starting guards, then lost the next game and Smith. Soooooo............

1 hour ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Snyder,  you don't need to be a football expert to see that continuing this is a poor decision.  Contrary to the standard critique,  I wish he were not so risk averse when it comes to organizational changes. 

He's become the antithesis of his trigger happy ways.  I don't recognize this guy anymore, i liked him because he was aggressive. Early Snyder woulda set Ashburn on fire by now, i actually miss that guy : /

10 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Mayock is gone, no need to give up anything ;) I'll miss his accent

And who actually watches Kiper anyways? I  mean NFL Gm's doen even know who the guy is:

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He's become the antithesis of his trigger happy ways.  I don't recognize this guy anymore, i liked him because he was aggressive. Early Snyder woulda set Ashburn on fire by now, i actually miss that guy : /

i dont think he can afford to fire Gruden and pay him his remaining 10 Mill. A 21% decline in attendance has an effect on you I guess?

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

i dont think he can afford to fire Gruden and pay him his remaining 10 Mill. A 21% decline in attendance has an effect on you I guess?

He can, but i think hes listening too much in regards to trying to be more hands off and not overpay people.  The Snyder we need is somewhere between where he was and where he is.  Him not liking to pay people that dont work for him anymore is a choice.

Archived