Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Can you imagine what Gibbs must've been thinking tonight? If he could watch that live and in person as he did and not feel like his heart was being wrenched out of his chest, then senility must've set in. What an absolute clueless disgrace to bring that guy in to watch up close and personal how you've destroyed this franchise and pretty much all the goodwill that his era of success and class spawned.  

That said, if Gibbs doesn't have the balls at this point to call Dan and Bruce out on this bull**** - which should be obvious to him at this point - then maybe he's no longer the man I thought he was anyway. 

Just now, Dissident2 said:

That said, if Gibbs doesn't have the balls at this point to call Dan and Bruce out on this bull**** - which should be obvious to him at this point - then maybe he's no longer the man I thought he was anyway. 

Gibbs has always operated with class.    This is the same guy that would describe the Lions like they had 22 all pros.  Another reason why his complementary takes on Dan and Vinny ring very hollow. 

I would never expect him to make any disparaging remarks about the franchise to the public.  So even if he does tell Dan the truth personally, it’s not something we will ever have the satisfaction of knowing.

8 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Can you imagine what Gibbs must've been thinking tonight? If he could watch that live and in person as he did and not feel like his heart was being wrenched out of his chest, then senility must've set in. What an absolute clueless disgrace to bring that guy in to watch up close and personal how you've destroyed this franchise and pretty much all the goodwill that his era of success and class spawned.  

Guys...Joe Gibbs is a 78 year old man, I dont expect him to call out anybody or say to much negative. Keep that in mind.....78!

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So if we lived in a magical wonder world where Bruce was fired, who would you bring in?  Who can build a winner while standing up to Danny?

Theres always bright people around the league waiting to get a shot. 

I’ve heard quite a few people list some of their opinions. I’d probably butcher it all if I tried to repeat it. League wide front office staff is not my strong area. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs828791 said:

Did any of you guys or girls here Adam Schefter talk about how Bruce is thought of as extremely smart around the league and actually doubled down on it on the Sheehan podcast. Thom Loverene was on there and as many shots as he has taken at him you could tell he couldnt believe what Schefter was saying.

Schefter and Bruce must have some type of good realtionship!

Schefter had a great relationship with Shanahan.  Shanahan wanted Allen.

This is nothing.

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Odds are that they'll pull another Scot scam and try to pretend that Bruce is somewhere else with the new guy making all the football decisions.

Undoubtedly, most of the fans will buy it hook line and sinker.

Despite the fact Bruce isn't even the problem. It's Dan first, then the rest of the clown show behind him.

This is almost surely what they are going to do.  Say they are moving Bruce to "business operations", promote Schaeffer from within to be head of "football operations", not call him a GM but pretend he is one and that somehow this is like firing Bruce and hiring a real GM.  They will then also fire Manusky, and someone else, and claim they have also fixed the coaching side.  Sadly, many fans will buy this and go "Well its like they fired Bruce, Im fine with him on the business side, just so that he doesnt get involved in the football side".

Thankfully, many fans will not buy this, and I predict average attendance next year will start off closer to 55k, setting another record low for the franchise.

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Gibbs has always operated with class.    This is the same guy that would describe the Lions like they had 22 all pros.  Another reason why his complementary takes on Dan and Vinny ring very hollow. 

I would never expect him to make any disparaging remarks about the franchise to the public.  So even if he does tell Dan the truth personally, it’s not something we will ever have the satisfaction of knowing.

We gonna need a secret tape like Captain Kirk in Undiscovered Country

"I never trusted Snyder, and i never will.  I will never forgive him for the death of my franchise."

Regarding joe Gibbs being at the game, i was surprised when i was standing on the sideline pre game to see him walking out of the tunnel. I had No idea he was going to be there. 

I recall a tweet from earlier this week or last week about expect a known face (something to that extent) back in the building soon. Is there some behind the scenes thing going on to get joe Gibbs to become involved in the FO in some capacity? 

Not advocating one way or the other. Just genuinely curious if that’s what the tweet could have been referring to...

5 hours ago, Peregrine said:

This is almost surely what they are going to do.  Say they are moving Bruce to "business operations", promote Schaeffer from within to be head of "football operations", not call him a GM but pretend he is one and that somehow this is like firing Bruce and hiring a real GM.  They will then also fire Manusky, and someone else, and claim they have also fixed the coaching side.  Sadly, many fans will buy this and go "Well its like they fired Bruce, Im fine with him on the business side, just so that he doesnt get involved in the football side".

Thankfully, many fans will not buy this, and I predict average attendance next year will start off closer to 55k, setting another record low for the franchise.

I could be fine with that at one condition:

Schaeffer has the power to say "Get the **** out" to Bruce.

Otherwise, it's a bull**** move.

8 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, but there's a big difference between talking up a bad opponent and consistently supporting someone whose very lifestyle and moral compass seems to be totally at odds with your own. Maybe Gibbs just doesn't see that/doesn't care, but if you have a functioning synapse in your head, you can't possibly be able to look at this situation and have anything at all good to say about it. I'm not expecting any public tirade from Gibbs (although that would be awesome), but I'm hoping he's not content to just sit through the apocalypse he sat through yesterday and say nothing about it to the one person who has the power to change it. 

4 hours ago, PigskinPhat said:

The operative paragraph and this article is from 2017 is this one.  I think EVERY one who covers the team has made this point more or less which is Bruce really really really wants to have his hand in just about everything.  Depending on who talks about the narrative its a variation of Bruce sees himself as a football guy, he sees himself as the smartest guy in the room, he's your friend if you don't do what he wants but he'd run over you like a bolder on a WB cartoon if you challenge or cross him.

And I am sticking to this point.  Dan is a problem a big problem.  Bruce is a problem and a big problem, too -- far from just an empty vehicle for Dan who just does his bidding, he brings his own trouble in his own right -- they didn't call him Prince of Darkness in Tampa for no reason.  Dan has a gazillion faults but no agents didn't hate the dude, they liked him I recall stories about him and Drew Rosenhaus among others -- Bruce is the most distrusted GM in the league according to agents and one of the least prepared according to them.  Bruce has put his own unique stamp in addition to Dan's on the team's dysfunction

My point is removing Bruce would be a big deal if they ever do it.  Does it solve Dan's issues?  Nope.  But at least it takes away one part of the problem.   Schaffer isn't known as a douche.  Neither is Kyle.  And yeah Schaffer for example is out there front and center plenty behind the scenes negotiating on behalf of the team -- plenty of opportunities for the type of feedback that Bruce gets but Schaffer isn't ever characterized that way.  So it gives me a little hope if they ever make the move.  Maybe it doesn't work.  But I think we got at least a shot with it. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2017/12/13/it-doesnt-matter-how-poorly-the-redskins-play-bruce-allen-isnt-going-anywhere/?utm_term=.daac964d5604

It would be nice if Allen would concede football duties to focus solely on the stadium. But Allen likes being involved.

This is from Keim who is far from a flame thrower

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/37930/redskins-need-to-decide-if-injuries-were-only-reason-for-more-mediocrity

Will they change the power structure? Team president Bruce Allen has been in charge for nine years; in that time the Redskins have made the playoffs twice. He’s involved in every move and often trades get made without consulting coaches, even when it involves quarterbacks.

Snider

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/news/snider-eagles-owned-fedex-field-stands

What’s it going to take to wake up owner Dan Snyder to the rock-bottom mess that this franchise has become? The town has abandoned the team. A half-century love affair has reached the death-to-we-part phase.

Snyder should be embarrassed. Instead, he’ll probably fire more ticket sellers. Maybe the parking people, too, for not luring more cars into the stadium.

But the Eagles nest in Landover won’t be a wakeup call to someone with blinders. Team president Bruce Allen looks to be back. Even a potential position change to business-side only won’t fool fans. Either Allen leaves or nothing changes from his nine years of franchise decay.

There probably won’t be a new coach or shiny first-round quarterback to lure fans back next season, either. The team doesn’t even have enough cap room to sign a marketable free agent passer.  A 7-9 season with 25 players on injured reserve doesn’t seem so bad until remembering the Redskins were once 6-3.

Welcome to the offseason where even hope no longer comes to Washington.

Finlay said on his podcast yesterday, he implied there is a chance they let Kyle go if he gets a bigger offer elsewhere.  Here he hits it again a little

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-face-7-major-questions-heading-offseason

7. Up or Away? 

Two key cogs in the Redskins front office could get job offers elsewhere: Eric Schaffer and Kyle Smith. Will the Redskins promote those guys to keep them, or risk more talent drain from Redskins Park? Much of that will hinge on what happens with Bruce Allen.

It would be amazing if somebody much more organized that I could set up a fake funeral service outside Redskins Park for fans to attend. Casket, eulogizers, the works. 

As much as I'd want it to be a Louisana style one with music and dancing. I think a somber one with fans standing up and just sharing memories and mourning the loss of the team. 

4 minutes ago, dyst said:

We are just repeating ourselves at this point but...

1. FIRE Bruce Allen

2. Hire a GM (actually call him GM and give him GM duties)

3. Let GM hire coach (hopefully meaning a fired Jay Gruden) 

Been me since 2007 it’s 2019 so it will never happen at this point even if it did I’d prob be at my mid 30s before we are any good most my other friends are moving on focusing on other things in life but somehow this team keeps awake at night still.....

Interesting, supposedly the Redskins considering him as an option(not that he was one of my fav options)  when they moved on from Scot until Bruce had an epiphany and came to the conclusion that best case scenario was to cement his power with no one like Scot to challenge him and give a new title to Doug with essentially the same power (not much) that he had before. 

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

Ugh Doug Williams is another one. Does anyone really feel he is the guy to hand the keys over to? 

He's a nice guy but no.  If I had a dollar for every time I heard from someone who covers the team saying they heard Doug is a super nice guy but nothing special as a personnel guy and doesn't have much clout in that regard behind the scenes.

But Dan thinks fans are obsessed as him by nostalgia 

Archived